| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: The All-New Official Tattoo thread!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:11 am 
Inflexitarian

PPK, I have had a tattoo kit for over a year, and I haven't even used it yet. I am always so busy and I think to myself that I will eventually have a time where I am less busy and I will be able to spend like a week watching videos about tattooing and practicing and then finalizing my design and then actually doing it. But it never happens. Also I'm scared! I did give myself a tattoo a couple of years ago, but using my tattoo-artist-friend's equipment and under her direct supervision, and now I feel like I don't remember anything and I'm going to infect myself and horrible things! But next week looks a lot less busy for me, so next week should be the week, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

electric_claire wrote:
PPK, I have had a tattoo kit for over a year, and I haven't even used it yet. I am always so busy and I think to myself that I will eventually have a time where I am less busy and I will be able to spend like a week watching videos about tattooing and practicing and then finalizing my design and then actually doing it. But it never happens. Also I'm scared! I did give myself a tattoo a couple of years ago, but using my tattoo-artist-friend's equipment and under her direct supervision, and now I feel like I don't remember anything and I'm going to infect myself and horrible things! But next week looks a lot less busy for me, so next week should be the week, right?

Wow... I would never trust myself to tattoo myself!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:48 pm 
Inflexitarian

I kind of liked doing it myself- I know some people like the actual physical sensation of being tattooed but I do not, and if I could skip the actual getting tattooed process I totally would. Concentrating on DOING the tattooing to such an extent that I can't really focus on the physical sensation of being tattooed makes it less hurty!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:03 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

amonik wrote:
When I started looking at this thread today I wanted to get a tattoo - now I want a hundred... You lot have some fine decorations! I want a bird family tattoo, but I can't decide what kind of birds. Ravens are cool, but I'm thinking I don't want another tattoo with a lot of black on it (I was a teen in the 90's so I have a small tribal tattoo). Possibly gooses. I get my first paycheck in June, so I want to get it done soon after.

If you did the corvidae family there would be some black birds, but not all of them. There are crows and ravens, but also jays, magpies, and nutcrackers. Even the ravens and crows could be done to show off their iridescence. I've been thinking of getting a magpie because they're such interesting birds and they remind me so much of the west. A section of the family done like an Audubon or Sibley illustration would be really neat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Sorry I described the idea poorly - I didn't mean a family in the evolutionary sense, I mean that the birds would represent my family :-). So they would all be one species, two adults and one baby.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:11 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

My friend got crows, and they're not very dark at all, lots of intricate shading. It just depends on how the artist renders them. She specifically told the artist she was worried about it looking like too much black. They look amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

electric_claire wrote:
I kind of liked doing it myself- I know some people like the actual physical sensation of being tattooed but I do not, and if I could skip the actual getting tattooed process I totally would. Concentrating on DOING the tattooing to such an extent that I can't really focus on the physical sensation of being tattooed makes it less hurty!

My friend's ex did all his own tattoos.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:09 am 

I think i decided on my next tattoo. I want a beet. But now i need to decide where? I am considering getting it on my upper arm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:12 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have a beeton my belly!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have a beet on my foot, with the greens coming up my ankle!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

annabazoo wrote:
I think i decided on my next tattoo. I want a beet. But now i need to decide where? I am considering getting it on my upper arm.

Upper arm sounds like a great place for a beet tattoo. Especially if you get it with the leafy greens- the long shape lends itself naturally to an upper arm!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:51 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Ok, so this is a really, really stupid question but I would rather ask here than make a total fool out of myself in front of my tattoo artist. Ok, imagine this. I have a tattoo of beach roses and bees on my upper arm / shoulder. I keep getting grand ideas of how to do something thematic all the way down my arm. Dunno that I want to go all floral, so I thought maybe a beach / ocean theme could be fun. I was thinking a small area of sand / shells / rocks. Maybe a mermaid on a rock. Then moving down to waves / water / sea creatures. So that would mean ending at my wrist area with the water section. So my big question is, IS THIS UPSIDE DOWN? Does it make sense to go in this order, or is it totally backwards because someone looking at it would be looking at it from the perspective of someone standing in the middle of the ocean?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:19 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

That doesn't sound upside down to me... water/sea creatures at the bottom (your wrist) moving up to land/mermaids and sky/flowers/bees at the top (your shoulder), right? I think it sounds neat!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:59 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

got a rather simple or so i thought tattoo today (paw star). i do not like it, i hope it can be fixed. :/

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:28 am 

I'm sorry it didn't turn out well, missmiffcake! Are you going back to the same artist for fixing it or to someone else?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:17 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

it should be a simple fix the original artist can do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:37 pm 
And you never will.

I have three ideas for tattoos that I reeeeeally want (one of which will hopefully be a cover-up), but I'm not in a position financially right now to do anything about it. And I probably won't be for a long time (especially because my husband doesn't like tattoos so it makes allocating money when we share *everything* really tough). I has a sad :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:39 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i have my birthday tattoo in the works....i finally found a cool artist who understands my need for cute food....bonus she used to work for sanrio!

my birthday ink will be: a bottle of Sriracha!!!!

still do not have the last tattoo fixed...:/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:00 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm running out of room for me to get tattoos and keep them reasonably covered up when need be. URGH. I'm thinking of getting a thigh piece next.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:28 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

paprikapapaya wrote:
I'm running out of room for me to get tattoos and keep them reasonably covered up when need be. URGH. I'm thinking of getting a thigh piece next.

I have the same problem, except instead of running out of space I'm running out of money :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

I have the same problem, except instead of running out of space I'm running out of money :P

I'm having time issues. You shouldn't swim with a new tattoo for three months and as I'm spending summer learning to scuba dive and then travelling quite a bit I have about a three week window to get tattooed in the next year!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have an appointment on the 16th! Woohoo!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:22 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

jojo wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

I'm having time issues. You shouldn't swim with a new tattoo for three months and as I'm spending summer learning to scuba dive and then travelling quite a bit I have about a three week window to get tattooed in the next year!

3 months? You just have to wait until it's fully healed, which should be about 3 weeks (maybe what you meant?), or at the most 4.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:07 pm 
ugh

I've been wanting to get a memorial tattoo for my dad (who passed last August). His birthday was in April, and then there's was Father's Day yesterday, so I can't get it out of my brain no matter how much I don't want to spend the money right now. I think I've convinced myself to hold off until the end of the summer, at least, so I don't have to worry about hiding it from the sun or not swimming while it heals.

Two ideas:
- Something music related, like a fancy clef or something similar to this piano tree illustration (he was a musician)
- A swallow carrying a coconut ("It could grip it by the husk!") (he was also a big Monty Python fan)

Since swallows are such a common tattoo and they have so many other cool meanings attached to them, I'm kinda leaning that way now, but I'm still not sure. Getting a coconut to look nice could be challenging. This kind of layout could be fun, with coconut halves where the rose is:
I'm not sure what the banner would say, though. Maybe I could sneak in a music reference there. If you folks have any suggestions I would love to hear them!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:18 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

b.vicious wrote:
- A swallow carrying a coconut ("It could grip it by the husk!") (he was also a big Monty Python fan)

I'm not sure what the banner would say, though.

Isn't there an insult in that same scene in Holy Grail along the lines of "your father smells of elderberries!"? I would go with a banner that simply reads "elderberries."

I can see how that might be a bit convoluted though :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next