| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black Mirror
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:46 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Anyone else watching it? I watched them all and loved it. It's a British anthology series that can be watched on Netflix. Each episode is totally different, but they all explore the same theme which is how technology and media effects our lives. Very Twilight Zone-esque.

My favorite episode was White Bear, followed by National Anthem. Least favorite was probably Waldo.

Post subject: Re: Black Mirror
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:28 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I just finished watching it on Netflix. I thought it was a mixed bag (The White Bear, 15 Million Merits and The Entire History of You all held my attention for at least some part of the story; The National Anthem was slightly dreadful, and both it and Waldo were a little too adolescent for me; Be Right Back felt like ground well covered).

I'm mostly happy that the horror/sci-fi anthology show has been making a comeback recently. By which I mean there's this and also Inside No. 9 exist. Like any good lifestyle reporter, I believe that two points of data constitutes a trend.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Interesting, I just learned of the existence of the series earlier today. I'm going to start watching it soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:13 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I think it bears warning that the first episode is very disturbing, especially for vegans (I will spoiler the theme below). It's perfectly okay to skip it- each episode is a self-contained story.

Spoiler: show
S1E1 contains themes of bestiality.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:30 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i wasn't a fan of that episode. i thought it strange that they chose that to be it's introductory episode. i'd like to see the numbers. how many people stopped watching after that episode? probably a lot.

i think my favorite was 15 million merits.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:40 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

When I recommended to the series to one friend I told them to watch the third episode first, but suggested that another should watch them in order. I thought that episode to be hilarious and laughed a lot at the absurdity of it, but was definitely disturbed by some of the final scenes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My husband has been watching it and he thought there was a chance I would like it so he told me about the first episode - I was like, you don't know me at all! Why would you think I would want to see that?! Partly because of Erika's spoiler but the whole Twilight Zone feel too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think that it's possibly hard to see it in context outside of the UK. I'm not saying that we all love beastialty over here, but that a lot of our comedy/satire programs are much darker than their US counterparts. Also, most people watching here would probably do so knowing that it was a Charlie Brooker thing, and expect it to be a bit twisted. I think Waldo was a bit of a peas take of another UK comedian who did a kind of rude bear character. I really enjoyed it, but yeah... some episodes were stronger than others. And some of The National Anthem was hard to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:31 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

AHEM, SPOILERS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I think it bears warning that the first episode is very disturbing, especially for vegans (I will spoiler the theme below). It's perfectly okay to skip it- each episode is a self-contained story.

Animal gore?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:10 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

beforewisdom wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Animal gore?

No, it's pretty much exactly what I said under the spoiler tag. If you're curious the episode is on Netflix, I'm not going to go into juicy detail.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:20 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Spoiler tags are only needed if you're talking about future episode spoilers, if it's available to watch and you haven't seen it, play it safe and assume someone is going to talk about stuff you haven't gotten to yet.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:40 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Disappearing Ink wrote:
I think that it's possibly hard to see it in context outside of the UK. Also, most people watching here would probably do so knowing that it was a Charlie Brooker thing, and expect it to be a bit twisted.

I've lived in the UK before and still keep up with UK news and politics. I'm also aware of who Charlie Brooker is and have read his columns in the Guardian for years (he's the one who always looks a bit constipated). I just don't think that precludes me from finding public humiliation and/or bestiality disturbing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Disappearing Ink wrote:
I think that it's possibly hard to see it in context outside of the UK. Also, most people watching here would probably do so knowing that it was a Charlie Brooker thing, and expect it to be a bit twisted.

I've lived in the UK before and still keep up with UK news and politics. I'm also aware of who Charlie Brooker is and have read his columns in the Guardian for years (he's the one who always looks a bit constipated). I just don't think that precludes me from finding public humiliation and/or bestiality disturbing.

I didn't mean my post to come across sounding, like, superior/exclusive or whatever, so apologies if it did! I just find American and British TV quite different from each other, not necessarily better or worse, and the differences are kind of interesting to me on a level greater that TV, but I can't articulate it very well. And, I totally did find it disturbing and uncomfortable to watch, too. I just figure that was the point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Anyone else watching it? I watched them all and loved it. It's a British anthology series that can be watched on Netflix. Each episode is totally different, but they all explore the same theme which is how technology and media effects our lives. Very Twilight Zone-esque.

My favorite episode was White Bear, followed by National Anthem. Least favorite was probably Waldo.
I really enjoyed White Bear. National Anthem was a bit... it was okay, I guess? I really enjoyed Be Right Back, though. There's something about the attention to detail about the whole thing.

I have long thought that the best horror is written by comedy writers, and I think this is a good example. It takes a sharp mind to notice a detail and twist it until you laugh or cry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:53 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Disappearing Ink wrote:
I just find American and British TV quite different from each other, not necessarily better or worse, and the differences are kind of interesting to me on a level greater that TV, but I can't articulate it very well. And, I totally did find it disturbing and uncomfortable to watch, too. I just figure that was the point.
I think there's a bit more of a "media as art" thing with British TV. I once watched a very good documentary on Victorian wallpaper that was on primetime BBC4. No regretz.

Part of this is perhaps that many of our major channels are literally public services, funded by grants, the licence fee (which is a tax) and advertising. The BBC has to "inform, educate and entertain". Channel 4 has to demonstrate "innovation, experiment and creativity" and exhibit a distinctive character. Things tend to be written by one or two people, rather so you get an individual feels to programmes.

The alternatives are really ITV, which is like someone's drunken auntie at a party, largely ignored but tells a cracking good story now and again, and the nonspecific digital channels, which are 80% American imports from five years ago, 20% murder mystery series from ten years ago and unending repeats of QI.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I watched the second episode the other night ( thanks for the tip about avoiding the first episode ).

I thought it was fantastic.

Since the whole series is done, what should be the policy on using spoiler tags to discuss the episodes?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Spoiler tags are only needed if you're talking about future episode spoilers, if it's available to watch and you haven't seen it, play it safe and assume someone is going to talk about stuff you haven't gotten to yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:10 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I loved this show. I went through it shortly before it came to US Netflix, now everyone I've been telling about it finally gets a chance to see it themselves.

I believe the show wrapped up in the UK last year sometime, but there's supposed to be a new Christmas themed episode coming out later this month. Not sure if it's going to be on Netflix or Channel 4 (UK) only at first.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:20 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

John Hamm is in the Christmas ep!