| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: College football
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:41 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Are there any other college football fans around? I live for college football season and my alma mater LSU is have an awesome year so far.

Who is your team?

What are you favorite gameday goodies?

What (and how much) do you drink?

Who deserves to be #1?

Anyway -- I didn't see a thread on this (and I did a search) so I figured I should start one.

GEAUX TIGERS!

The Redneck Vegan Kitchen, for those of us tired of tree hugging hippie vegan food (and home to the world's greatest seitan recipe!).

Post subject: Re: College football
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:21 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

ROLL TIDE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm a Michigan State Spartan! And even though I'm now in Ohio, I try to catch all the games. I'm going back home next weekend for the MSU/UofM game, which should be nerve-wracking to say the least.
For food/drink I'm a beer and pretzels kind of football fan. Not fancy, but nothing beats it as far as I'm concerned. On occasion I've made green and white cupcakes and other thematic goodies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:06 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I live with a Nebraska fan, so we had some sad times last week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

TCU Horned Frogs! I love the school and the mascot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:42 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I am a U of Michigan fan who is married to an OSU fan. Interesting for sure!

Game days we usually have something like chili dog nachos, potato skins, pizza, ribz, or subs. We usually have beer...I am partial to Harp. My husband does mix a pretty mean margarita, too...so just depends on the day.

We are debating on whether or not to head up to Ann Arbor to tailgate the day of the big U of M vs. OSU game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:11 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

paytizzy wrote:
I am a U of Michigan fan who is married to an OSU fan. Interesting for sure!

hi-larious hijinks! That is interesting! LSU doesn't really have a natural rival of the sort you are used to. Ole Miss thinks they are our rival, a notion we find both sad and hilarious.

Glad to see some responses here! I want to do a vegan college football party/tailgatish kind of thing, but the veggies where I live (Saint Louis) are all pretty much hippies that hate sports.

The Redneck Vegan Kitchen, for those of us tired of tree hugging hippie vegan food (and home to the world's greatest seitan recipe!).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:02 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Yeah, the two of us being on opposite sides of the rivalry have made for some intense game days, but all in good fun...especially now that we have a shot at winning against OSU this year!

I am pretty sure the tailgating might just be the hubby and myself, or perhaps a few non-vegan friends will join us. I have not met any vegan football around here, but I remain hopeful! We took some hummus to a bar where Bear's fans hang out on Sunday to watch the game and pretty much no one touched it.

I am glad to see this thread!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:00 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

LSU without a rival!? Which lsu did you go to? We're 'official' rivals with Florida (so much for that game and rivalry) but the Bama game is always where the excitement is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:15 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Fee wrote:
LSU without a rival!? Which lsu did you go to? We're 'official' rivals with Florida (so much for that game and rivalry) but the Bama game is always where the excitement is.

Oh we have rivals; I never said LSU didn't have rivals. But we don't have a rivalry on the level of Ohio State-Michigan, or Alabama-Auburn, or Texas-Oklahoma. The LSU-Florida rivalry is relatively new by historical standards, and is more of a rivalry based on mutual respect, not the street-fighting, tree-killing kind of seething hatred you see in other places.

And let's the honest, Bama owned LSU historically, so while I agree that is a current rivalry (relevant for the past decade or so), it's not really historically relevant. We also have legitimate rivalries with Arkansas and Auburn, but we don't have one that clearly stands above the others year in and year out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:54 pm 

Gregatron wrote:
tree-killing kind of seething hatred you see in other places.

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. That was the action of a single person and not in any way representative of the team's fanbase.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

superherogirl wrote:
I'm a Michigan State Spartan! And even though I'm now in Ohio, I try to catch all the games. I'm going back home next weekend for the MSU/UofM game, which should be nerve-wracking to say the least.
For food/drink I'm a beer and pretzels kind of football fan. Not fancy, but nothing beats it as far as I'm concerned. On occasion I've made green and white cupcakes and other thematic goodies.

I'm also a Spartan! Go green!

I go for beer and whatever to eat. Mostly I just try not to explode with excitement while watching.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:56 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

veganna wrote:
Gregatron wrote:

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. That was the action of a single person and not in any way representative of the team's fanbase.

Okay, fair enough... but admit it; there's part of you that just wants to stab an Auburn fan and laugh as his children watch him slowly writhe in pain as he bleeds to death.

You know I'm right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Fizzgig wrote:
superherogirl wrote:

I'm also a Spartan! Go green!

I go for beer and whatever to eat. Mostly I just try not to explode with excitement while watching.

I am a Spartan too! I don't follow football, although I am slightly more interested now than I was when I was in school there. I worked at sbs while I was in school and met all the football players!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Hokies!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

littlebear wrote:
I worked at sbs while I was in school and met all the football players!

I lived in Case Hall, right by the stadium and all the football/basketball players lived there. I think I prefer it now because I don't have opinions on them as people, I can just watch them play.

I'm so excited for Saturday's game!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:50 pm 

Gregatron wrote:
veganna wrote:
Gregatron wrote:

Okay, fair enough... but admit it; there's part of you that just wants to stab an Auburn fan and laugh as his children watch him slowly writhe in pain as he bleeds to death.

You know I'm right.

Wow. Just, wow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:20 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I am, of course, joking...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Fizzgig wrote:
littlebear wrote:

I lived in Case Hall, right by the stadium and all the football/basketball players lived there. I think I prefer it now because I don't have opinions on them as people, I can just watch them play.

Yay for vegan spartans!!

I lived in West Circle and was hooked into watching football because most of my friends were in the marching band.
I'm really excited to get to East Lansing on Saturday - now is when campus is at it's prettiest!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:49 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Another Bama fan here. As a kid I hated Auburn with an irrational intensity, would never wear orange and blue together, etc., but now I have more national ambitions and don't care as much about the traditional rivalry (although I'm still kind of upset about last year's game).

Massively excited for the LSU game coming up. That should be a great one. I'm due to give birth sometime around the Saturday prior (a bye week! woo!) so I'll be psyched to be able to drink a bit again.

Favorite gameday goodie is this miracle bean dip when I'm not too lazy to make it:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/red-kidney-bean-dip-recipe/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:15 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I like chili, or more appropriately redbeans and rice, or my gumbo for gameday foods. Being a Tiger it's appropriate to have Louisiana themed stuff. Oh, and I love the Crawfish flavored potato chips by Zapp's (which are vegan).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:20 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

And yeah, there are a lot of Michigan State people in here. Kind of cool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

superherogirl wrote:
Fizzgig wrote:
littlebear wrote:

Yay for vegan spartans!!

I lived in West Circle and was hooked into watching football because most of my friends were in the marching band.
I'm really excited to get to East Lansing on Saturday - now is when campus is at it's prettiest!

I never lived in the dorms, I went to msu for my second degree. I do really miss east Lansing though, I had so much fun there!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

littlebear wrote:
superherogirl wrote:
Yay for vegan spartans!!

I never lived in the dorms, I went to msu for my second degree. I do really miss east Lansing though, I had so much fun there!

when did you all attend? I wonder if we were there at the same time. My sister went there, too, but somehow didn't go to a game until she came to visit me and I took her 2 years after she graduated. silly. At least she didn't become an Ohio State (oh, I'm sorry...THE Ohio State) fan when she went there for grad school.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Fizzgig wrote:
littlebear wrote:
superherogirl wrote:
Yay for vegan spartans!!

when did you all attend? I wonder if we were there at the same time. My sister went there, too, but somehow didn't go to a game until she came to visit me and I took her 2 years after she graduated. silly. At least she didn't become an Ohio State (oh, I'm sorry...THE Ohio State) fan when she went there for grad school.

I was there from January 2005 to may 2007. I majored in dietetics!