| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ye'Big old Boardgame Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:34 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just realized after doing a search that while a few ppkers tabletop game we don't have a dedicated boardgame thread so I figured why not start one up!

The game shop I worked at started carrying boardgames last summer so my library has doubled since then. Figured we could discuss games, give recommendations or review out thoughts on games. I know BGG does forum based playthrus of games and stuff which I think is super cool but would have to look into more before I could try and run some.

So what are folks favorite games? most anticipated games? Newest editions?

I just picked up the 2nd edition of Missions: Red Planet; Zombicide: Black Plague; Queen's Necklace; Dice Masters Civil War Starters; and Flick 'em up.

I'll be playing Dice Masters tonight, going to force myself to just use the new CW dice to build my deck. But I am super excited to play Missions: Red Planet it seems like it makes a more solid Citadels which is one of my favourite filler games. After antagonizing for a long while during my last shift I opted to get Zombicide: BP instead of the original which I've played a bunch but never owned. The new character trays, new setting and targeting mechanic make it seem like the better options although I will miss Wonda as my favourite character. I hope they come out with more expansions with female characters like the previous set.

If folks are into BGG we can also share our profiles as well Mine! it has most of my collection in there but my roommates own a bunch of other games as well, so I can try and answer questions or discuss other stuff too.

Post subject: Re: Ye'Big old Boardgame Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:42 am 
WRETCHED

I grew up playing the standard popular board games and I definitely missed it. So recently I learned about co-op board games, which I never knew existed.

I bought Mice and Mystics and my husband and I had fun playing it. The only problem right now is our weekends are busy so we won't have time to play it again for a while.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:59 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Mice and Mystics is great! I think Co-op games are my top games (Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, Pandemic (and all its variations), Elder signs, Zombicide, Robinson Crusoe, Shadows over Camelot, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Battle Star Galactica) they are often more involved games but just so much fun to play thru.

I only managed to play thru the 1st two scenarios before my roommate who owned M&M moved out. Which makes me sad, as currently the company has no prints available as they were bought out by one of the bigger guys. I did however find their other game Tail Feathers Image But I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.

Finding time for Co-ops is my biggest issue, as most filler or competitive games are much faster to set up and tear down. BGG has some decent tips for cutting down on set up time tho which is nice.
Lately we've been doing Pandemic: The Cure as its a dice game & crazy quick.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:01 am 
WRETCHED

I bought Pandemic as well but haven't tried it. Also, I should say I love competitive games... too much so co-op really works for us. Like my husband and I like to play chess but we haven't played against eachother since before we started dating. I can't play a competitive game with someone I live with :) And we are introverts who don't like other people (kind of) so it is good to have things we can play together.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:46 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We just got Pandemic a few weeks ago and we love it! It is a good 2 person game which is awesome for us, since - like linanil - we don't really socialize.

We also got the European version of Ticket to Ride, which is fun, but has a lot of small parts and is probably more fun with a bigger group.

I love Scrabble, but I can't play it with a lot of people because I used to be really good and into it so I know a lot of tricky words that make it no fun for people who don't know those tricks and then they don't want to play with me anymore. My parents play with me since they're the ones who taught me all that - we used to study the 2 and 3 letter words and that sort of stuff. Scrabble nerds 4 lyfe.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anyone else watching Wil Wheaton's show about tabletop gaming? http://www.geekandsundry.com/shows/tabletop/ It's how I discovered Pandemic, among others.

I received Hanabi as a Christmas gift this year. It's a great coop game, and it addresses a big design flaw in many coop games I played, which is that typically, the strongest strategist (or loudest talker) around the board can basically take over and take actions on behalf of everyone. In Hanabi much of the information remains secret to each player, so this can't happen.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:01 am 
Saggy Butt

My wife and I are also pretty introverted, and tend to play a fair amount of board games too.

We just picked up Machi Koro, which is super fun and quick to play. We have a fairly extensive collection, but a lot of the games we have tend to either take more time/brain power than we have to dedicate to games these days.

Some of our other faves, where we usually play two characters each just for more fun/variety:
-Android: infiltration
-Frag
-Robo Rally
-Kill Dr. Lucky

We've also enjoyed Mr. Jack, Puerto Rico, and Settlers of Catan. We have a copy of Twilight Struggle too, but haven't cracked it open. Every time we try we just get overwhelmed.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:36 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I thought I was going to get into board games/card games and while I find a lot of them cool and intriguing, I feel completely overwhelmed by all the rules, options, and strategies most of the time. Like I can't think of all the things I need to at once? I have played a few things with friends like Fluxx, Munchkin, Carcassonne, and some others. I bought Ticket to Ride to sort of start out with but found it boring. :/
I seem to do best with word games like Scrabble or Quiddler for now but I wish I could find something else I like, especially if I could play with 2 players with my husband.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I can't believe this wasn't a thread already. I really like Hansa Teutonica, Splendor, and Lords of Waterdeep.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:34 pm 
Taco Scientist

My partner and I are pretty into Suburbia. I read about it and it was described as Sim City in a board game and you can do just two player so that sold me. It's easy to teach other people and takes about an hour to play but it's fun and different every time.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:51 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I currently own one of the Doctor Who board games, Settlers of Catan, Munchkin Zombies Deluxe, Cards Against Humanity, Zombie Fluxx, Monster Fluxx, Gloom, Rory's Story Cubes and Settlers of Catan dice game. I don't let myself buy games anymore until I start playing the ones I already have. Trying to get groups set up to play seems impossible here. I have a HUGE list of games that I want to buy though. Recently I've been looking at Red Flags and SuperFight. I've also been looking at two player games for my boyfriend and I. Those will get used a lot more.

eta: I LOVE Tabletop with Wil Wheaton. I haven't watched it in a while but it's definitely a good show to help introduce people to board games, and to help them determine which games they may actually want to play.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have been OBSESSED with Lost Cities for about a year now. I don't know why! There's nothing that special about it. But I love it so much.

On my phone, I keep a list of games I liked from Table Top. In case I have an emergency need to play a game but can't remember them under the pressure of the board-game-emergency.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil