| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Best series
Original 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Next Generation 64%  64%  [ 46 ]
Deep Space Nine 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Voyager 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Enterprise 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Make my Gene, Parmesan. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 72
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:27 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

SpiceMiner wrote:
Also, another thing I liked about DS9 lol, Quark is the first person in all of the series to admit what a holodeck would really be used for :) Which also led to one of those magical things that cant be unseen. Kiras body with Quarks head lol...

There's some scene in TNG where Riker is all hot and bothered and declares that he's going to the holodeck. Certainly it's implied I think! I just want to know whose job it is to wipe off the holodeck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:33 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

caterpillar wrote:
I can't believe no one has mentioned how hot seven of nine is. That is pretty much the extent of my knowledge of star trek...

Meh... every series has their token "hottie in a body suit" people argue over who is hottest... for me fake boobs and suggestive one-liners wear off fast and then I get irritated that they don't conform to uniform regulations.... I did laugh out loud when enterprise pushed the limit with the decon gel though "Um, you guys picked up some sort of space bug... get down to your skivvies and rub this gel on each other"... ill bet every lotion company had record profits that year...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:46 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thessaly wrote:
SpiceMiner wrote:
Also, another thing I liked about DS9 lol, Quark is the first person in all of the series to admit what a holodeck would really be used for :) Which also led to one of those magical things that cant be unseen. Kiras body with Quarks head lol...

There's some scene in TNG where Riker is all hot and bothered and declares that he's going to the holodeck. Certainly it's implied I think! I just want to know whose job it is to wipe off the holodeck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:04 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

ahaha, that's the worst! They should really have Lt. Barclay do it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:29 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

My friend, who hasn't seen any Star Trek other than Enterprise, asked me yesterday if TOS was "the one with Spirk and Kock". I pretty much injured myself from laughing so hard.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:34 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

choirqueer wrote:
My friend, who hasn't seen any Star Trek other than Enterprise, asked me yesterday if TOS was "the one with Spirk and Kock". I pretty much injured myself from laughing so hard.

lol!...Something tells me the adventures of Spirk and Kock would make a great dirty webcomic....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:05 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thessaly wrote:
ahaha, that's the worst! They should really have Lt. Barclay do it.

In the episode Hollow Pursuits where Reg got his holoaddiction and was running the program with airheadded and easy Troi and Crusher and the dimwitted bridge crew as swordsmen is another episode that deals with naughty stuff on the holodeck. Especially since Geordie actually says to Reg "What happens on the holodeck stays on the holodeck".... So I guess I was completely wrong with my earlier statement about Quark being the first lol....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:03 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

jogirl wrote:
Despite everything, I love Voyager.

Yeah, though Brian's review sounds a bit "Gilligan's Island" right?

I think maybe my soft spot comes from the fact that at least a few years back, my friend's parent's lived 2 houses down from Kate Mulgrew. And I was glad we had a lady-captain.

I never liked DS9 because it seemed more soap-operay and less sci-fi ey but I maybe didn't give it enough time in HS. I need to finish my TNG watch through on netflix and then get through DS9. Then maaaaybe I'll try TOS, never actually really watched it, though my college roommie and I would put it on in the background to feed our geeky souls through diffusion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:50 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Favourite Series: Enterprise, but Next Gen is what I grew up on, so it has a special place in my heart.
Character: Tie between Data and Trip
Alien Species: I think it has to be the Betazoid, because Troi's mother always cracked me up. Or Klingons, all that honour business.
Episode: Impossible to pick just one
Villian: The Borg, hands down
Movie: Insurrection, or Nemisis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

For me TOS is number 1,
Enterprise is number 2,
Deep Space 9 is number 3

I only like individual episodes of TNG and Voyager. I found the first too didactic in tone and the later I was shocked to find it dull. There are some incredible episodes in the last two, but overall, blah.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:52 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I can't select just one choice because I love it all. I think the series pushed boundaries, and made us all think about the kind of future we would like to have. Yes, we have to suffer through some ridiculously silly episodes, but overall, it was a great run.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

All of the various Star Trek series had some silly episodes. IMHO, TNG had the most

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:52 am 
A Bad Person

Tonight was the TNG 25th anniversary celebration event for season 2, which involved showing two season 2 episodes, "Measure of a Man" and "Q Who", in remastered form in theaters! It was kind of a big commercial for the blu-ray release of season 2, and included parts of the making of documentary, cast reunion, and bloopers, but it was still totally awesome to see those two episodes in a theater. "Measure of a Man" included some extended scenes that were cut for time. I've seen it recently enough that I could pick out some of them, and none of them were mind blowing stuff, but they contributed well to the flow of the story.

Anyway, it was fantastic. Since it's a one-night event, it felt like the theater was 95% fans of the show, rather than some mix of people who happened to have two and half hours of time to kill. Totally looking forward to the season 3 event. My friends and I were speculating that it'll include "Yesterday's Enterprise", but I'm not sure if they're going to roll "Best of Both Worlds Part 1" into it, and play part 2 in the season 4 event, or pick another episode and not show "Best of Both Worlds" at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Amazing, it seemed like just yesterday the TNG came out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:36 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We went too! I think from the season 3 preview that it will be yesterday's enterprise and Best of Both Worlds. I loved that bit when Patrick Stewart was talking about the showing Best of Both Worlds part 1 and that woman yelling "You have ruined our summer"

I was surprised by how much the new scenes in "Measure of a Man" didn't contribute. I enjoyed them but they didn't really shed any new light on anything. I love that episode. Nothing better than a good old fashioned Captain Picard speech imo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:38 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Brian says that Troi has no noticeable accent and that's why he didn't realize that Marina is British. We are going to fight over this until the internet declares one of us right!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

She has a noticeable accent playing her character in TNG, though it isn't British ( the "French" Captain does however :) ). Out of role, she does have a British accent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 am 

The story I have read is that Troi created a Betazoid accent that was used a little Greek because she's half Greek. She really stops doing it as time goes on and especially in the movies. If you watch a first season ep and then one of her episodes of Voyager or Enterprise you will totally notice it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I heard/read that they wanted her to have a different accent than her own because they already had a British person, so she based her accent on a friend (though I thought it was an Israeli friend from the special feature I saw on one of the DVDs).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:41 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Interesting Marina-Sirtis-is-British fact: she auditioned for the role of Dayna on Blake's 7.

Ok, not that interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:53 am 

Ode to Spot Remix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

churning through DS9, and man it's so much better than TNG. TNG has not in any way survived the test of time, but DS9 is significantly more mature, and actually relevant.

I still think it's funny that the 3 women's jobs with major roles in TNG was to take care of people.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:26 pm 

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
I still think it's funny that the 3 women's jobs with major roles in TNG was to take care of people.

I always thought it was interesting that Marina Sirtis originally went for the part of Tasha Yar and Denise Crosby was up for Troi. If they had gotten to keep those roles, Deanna would have died, Worf would never have become chief security officer, and we would have had two stronger female characters. And Guinan being on this ship would have made more sense.

I also recently learned that the true reason the Dr. Crusher was fired at the end of season 1 was because she was complaining to the writers about the poorly written female characters. Then, the writer eventually got fired and she came back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:18 am 
Nailed to the V

It's too bad not much was fixed when she returned.

Garak is quickly becoming my favorite character in the ST universe. He's got some amazing episodes in Seasons 2 and 3.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 am 

He just keeps getting better, as does the show!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next