| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sucky shows you've seen lately!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:16 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Sufjan Stevens - Portland - 10/29/10

I paid $45 bucks (or was it more?) to see Sufjan Stevens last week. LAME. He just released an "experimental" record and 98% of the show was godawful. I paid that much to listen to his folky singer songwriter tunes and beautiful melodious vocals, but instead got strobe lights, a singer that must have JUST discovered raves and sang with an auto-tuner resembling Kanye West wanna-be horridness. He did the robot dance countless times and one of his back-up vocalists didn't know some of the songs and had to refer to a music sheet. Seriously? Come on guy.

Don't get me wrong- I can give anyone props for experimenting, but when I'm paying fifty bucks to see some tart on stage acting like a damn fool?? Oh hell no. I can go to any shiitake karaoke for free any day and watch that.

It's so sad. Now when I listen to his (good) older music, I shudder and my heart cries. It's just not the same now. Mine ears have heard the truth, and they bleed with regret. Well, maybe not so dramatic but you get the idea...

Post subject: Re: Sucky shows you've seen lately!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:36 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Holy shiitake, I saw the same show in Chicago on October 15 (second row center, ahhhhhhhh), and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen in my entire life. I was completely floored, slackjawed, and in tears for the whole set, and he played for over two hours! I was actually kind of disappointed when he played the old/quiet songs at the end, and I say that as someone who would have a copy of Michigan shrunk down and surgically implanted in her skull if technology allowed.
I forking hate dance music, I forking hate auto-tune and pitch correction and robot voices, I forking hate dancers, I forking hate costumes, and I REALLY forking hate strobe lights and projection screens and big stage shows, but I loved that show like it was my child. I bought his new record the next day and literally have not listened to anything else since. For almost a month. I think he's an insane genius; I felt like I was witnessing someone losing their mind. But I imagine that a lot of his audiences have felt like you did!
(Sorry, I've been freaking the fork out about that show to EVERYONE ON EARTH since it happened.)

In the "what the hell is this? I didn't pay to see this" disappointing vein, I saw Greg Dulli at Double Door on October 14 and it was an acoustic set. Acoustic! My impossibly sexy idol, playing an acoustic guitar! Greg Dulli + acoustic guitar = so, so much sadness. After seeing him like a dozen ear-blistering times, I arrived tarted up in my finest rock and roll gear, preparing to be completely blown away, and was presented with a set that was all but drowned out by the mega-sold-out crowd of rollicking drunks. Alas, alack. The Afghan Whigs' back catalog does not translate well into slow jams.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:01 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Ha! That's great that we had such different experiences. I think if I had heard his new stuff before the show and knew what to expect, my attitude would have been totally different. I too was floored, slackjawed and near tears the whole set - but only because I wanted to see the Sufjan Stevens that had musically & emotionally supported me in countless ways over the years. And yea, when he slowed it all down at the end and played a couple slow jams, it was bad timing and reminiscent of someone slapping me over and over again, only to come back minutes later with an ice cream sundae and teddy bear. shiitake didn't fly well.

I'm glad the show rocked your socks off. It gives me hope and I'll have to relisten to the new album with fresh ears. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:56 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

A couple months ago I bought tickets to the Capitol Hill Block Party in Seattle to see Blonde Redhead play. The drive from my place to Seattle was 3 and a half hours, on the way there my rental car got a flat tire and it took an extra hour to get that situation taken care of. The Block Party itself had shitty music and BRH ended up cancelling but I didn't find out until a few minutes before they were supposed to go on. D=

/crycrycry/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:19 pm 
Chip Strong

I saw Swans in September and while they were AMAZING, the overall experience was so miserable I got a migraine. I don't think I can see shows at the Middle East anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:15 pm 

It is funny how different people responded to his show. My friend saw him in MPLS recently and had a blast.

His early stuff is kind of electronic, too, so it's not exactly his first time round.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The only times I've ever really had sucky show experiences, it was due to the audience. Like, sometimes you can tell the crowd isn't really into it and they won't shut up even during slow songs and I'm just like, "WHY ARE YOU HERE? Go to a bar!" Or one time I was seeing one of my favorite bands and the crowd was inexplicably full of frat boy-types who were trying to mosh to chamber pop and spilling beer on everyone and this stupid girl next to me kept flailing around like she was seizuring and elbowing me in the ribs even after I asked her to cut that shiitake out.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:39 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

One of my favorite solo artists opened for Evan and Jaron when they were popular years ago. My friends and I were a) the only people there over the age of 16 and b) the only ones that cheered, sang and got excited about the opening act. It was funny looking back on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:39 pm 
Mediocre Tart

amandabear wrote:
The only times I've ever really had sucky show experiences, it was due to the audience. Like, sometimes you can tell the crowd isn't really into it and they won't shut up even during slow songs and I'm just like, "WHY ARE YOU HERE? Go to a bar!" Or one time I was seeing one of my favorite bands and the crowd was inexplicably full of frat boy-types who were trying to mosh to chamber pop and spilling beer on everyone and this stupid girl next to me kept flailing around like she was seizuring and elbowing me in the ribs even after I asked her to cut that shiitake out.

YES. I went to see Feist a while back and it was being filmed for 'The Culture Show' and thus full of BBC staffers on freebie guest passes who just chatted the whole way through and ruined most of it for those of us who were actually there for the gig and not to get randomly drunk and bisque.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:53 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

man, i saw Liars over the summer and they sucked so hard. they could not have looked more bored if they had tried. i've really never seen a band so unenthusiastic about their own music. they also made no attempt at audience interaction beyond 'oh hi. okay we're done now'. so disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The funny thing about Sufjan Stevens is that's actually where he STARTED. He's kinda gone full circle now.

I haven't seen ANY shows since I saw Destroyer a year and a half ago. This makes me so sad. I miss live music.

Lixa, was it upstairs or downstairs at the Middle East? I cannot do the upstairs. That tiny tiny room gives me panic attacks almost instantly. (Also why I stopped going to shows at TT's in Boston.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:19 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Not lately, but I saw Blonde Red Head, and they sucked. First, they were super snobby crassholes and made the promoter tell the local opener that they couldn't play, like, 30 minutes before the show. Then they played, well, a bunch of their songs. Maybe it was the bad taste in my mouth from what they'd done to the opener, but the whole time, I just kept thinking how pretentious, overrated, and posturey they were. Yucko.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:43 am 
Member type 4

jordanpattern wrote:
Not lately, but I saw Blonde Red Head, and they sucked. First, they were super snobby crassholes and made the promoter tell the local opener that they couldn't play, like, 30 minutes before the show. Then they played, well, a bunch of their songs. Maybe it was the bad taste in my mouth from what they'd done to the opener, but the whole time, I just kept thinking how pretentious, overrated, and posturey they were. Yucko.

My roommate won't quit talking about how she wants to see them. She missed the free show, but now there's a regular show, and the talking has resumed.

I'm just hoping Einsturzende Neubauten will live up to my expectations. I'm so forking excited.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So I generally detest rap music, but I have two guilty pleasures- Lupe Fiasco and Xzibit. I saw Xzibit a few years ago (and he was awesome), and was super psyched when I heard that Lupe was not only coming to Australia, but was coming to my bumfuck town that no one ever comes to. I forked over $80 each for two tickets, and got excited about the first show I would see since I moved here.

I've never been so disappointed. It was a combination of things. The venue was terrible, a uni bar with pillars blocking the view of the stage unless you were right in front of it. Lupe had a horrible attitude, coming onstage in sunglasses and several kilos worth of tacky gold chains. I wanted to see the old Lupe with glasses, who sings about robots. And the crowd were just awful. This is a goverment town, so everyone has too much money and is far too self-important. So most of them weren't watching the show, they'd just paid for tickets to have somewhere 'cool' to hang out. And the ones that wanted to watch were so inconsiderate. I had tried to stand up the front but got slammed into a pole so I moved, but everyone towards the back was standing on tables with no regard for the injured, five foot girl trying to see past them. I ended up leaving almost in tears before the show even ended.

By far the worst show I've ever been to.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:55 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I saw the Misfits recently and it sucked. They don't have Glenn Danzig, the line up is Jerry Only, Dez Cadena, and Robo, so I went into it thinking this isn't the real Misfits, but hey it'll still be a good time, right? Wrong. First of all, the crowd sucked. They seemed to want to pretend it's 1981 and were acting like violent crassholes. This one girl wearing a dress behind me would not stop crowd surfing--she was literally being passed over my head every 5 minutes--and she forking kicked me in the head one time doing it. I wanted to kill her. I don't usually mind crowd surfers but I got really sick of her stinky crotch and sweaty feet constantly in my face when I was trying to enjoy the show.

And then the show itself, oy. It's like they weren't even trying. They played every song sped up so fast that I couldn't recognize any of them until the chorus (and I'm a Misfits fanatic, I would recognize Misfits elevator muzak). Jerry was barking the lyrics and the microphone wasn't turned up high enough, so all you could hear was a sort of blurred shouting. It was unrecognizable as the Misfits, except for the stage set up with skulls and such. Ironically, when they played their new material that no one is interested in, they slowed down a notch. It was still loud and hardcore, but Jerry actually sang the songs so you could hear them and you could actually hear the music that went with it. So the new shiitake sounded better than the old ones because they actually put effort into them. Between the douchey crowd and the crappy music, totally not worth going to.

I also saw the Vaselines last month. Musically, the band was great, but the crowd was lame. No one was dancing or moving. They all stood with their arms folded staring forward. It was better than the Misfits though, because the hipster ennui of the crowd made it easy for me to manuever my way to the front where my boyfriend and I proceded to dances like idiots. We had fun, even if no one else seemed to (and I got the setlist, which is cool!).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:15 pm 
Hip Goiter

I LOVE Sufjan! He was here Wednesday night and I tried so hard for so long to get tickets but it was sold out. Reading your different experiences makes me wish I got to see it even more!
I haven't been to a concert in a long time but I can rant and/or rave all the live-long day about Bway.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:08 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh, and this isn't lately either, but my band ended up playing a show in Vancouver with a band called the Rumors, and they were the worst shiitake ever. They were super primadonnas and had this "all girl" schtick, but had a male roadie who had to basically do everything for them (tuning guitars, set up, set lists, etc.). Their music was tired cliched "girl" punk/rock, and none of them played or sang or did anything very well or very originally or with really any passion. They were everything I hate about music rolled into one band!

Ha ha - here they are! http://www.vanmusic.ca/canadian-indie-bands/the-rumours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:12 pm 

De La Soul '09 Knoxville

The sound was horrible. All we could hear was loud noises, barely any vocals. And the crowd was just depressing. The area in front of the stage was maybe 1/3 full, and the rest of the venue was pretty much empty. It looked like most of the people there were just there because that's where they always go to drink. I think this may have had something to do with their performance feeling like it was something they were doing just so they could get paid and get out of there.

I'm not a fan of that venue, and think that it could have been a great show somewhere else.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:04 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I missed Blonde Redhead when they came through Ohio, I really wanted to see them but it sounds like maybe it was good I didn't.

I went to Forecastle Festival to see Devo and Cap'n Jazz over the summer both were awesome. At the same festival I also saw Cake and Smashing Pumpkins. Both Cake and SP were god awful, they played one song from Siamese Dream then Billy Corgan dicked around on the guitar for a while. Cake sounded like the most half assed jam band for 90% of their set then went into the "Distance" full throttle and wrapped it up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:30 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

jordanpattern wrote:

this makes me feel better about missing their show!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

jordanpattern wrote:
Oh, and this isn't lately either, but my band ended up playing a show in Vancouver with a band called the Rumors, and they were the worst shiitake ever. They were super primadonnas and had this "all girl" schtick, but had a male roadie who had to basically do everything for them (tuning guitars, set up, set lists, etc.). Their music was tired cliched "girl" punk/rock, and none of them played or sang or did anything very well or very originally or with really any passion. They were everything I hate about music rolled into one band!

Ha ha - here they are! http://www.vanmusic.ca/canadian-indie-bands/the-rumours

Ew, I really shouldn't have listened to them, so so so bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:46 am 
Joking!

Every show I've ever been to in New York City ever. Even if the bands are good, the audience is LAAAAAAMMMMME!!! They're either standing around too cool for school with their arms crossed while a band is playing that you should never ever just be standing around, like I'm not even sure how it was possible for them to not dance to these bands. Bands that are my favorites and I've never been to any show that the entire audience wasn't in some crazy primal music driven dance, but in New York everyone just stands still. Or they're complete douche bags. I had to drag out some fat, hairy mustard out of the Thee Oh Sees show in Brooklyn because he kept unplugging the band's equipment, stealing the microphone and slamming into people which is a serious issue when you're over 6 feet and really huge, it hurts. He finally got knocked down and me and this other dude dragged him out, which was really hard because he was so sweaty and half naked (it was a bikini party and it was a million degrees in the bar) that it was like trying to wrangle a greased pig. We dragged him out and the security guards just stood there staring at us and they didn't kick the forker completely out, he laid by the outer door for a while and then the next song or two he came right back in. fork this city sometimes.....actually most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:49 am 
Joking!

Oh and the worst band I've seen/heard in a long time was whichever one opened for modest mouse the time that the show got shut down by the crazy tornado/lightning storm. I don't know who they were, I got free tickets the day of the show. I do remember looking on twitter to see if they started the show up again after the storm died down and seeing a ton of people who posted about how they were the worst band ever, no joke, they might be.....maybe even worse than nickelback. I take that back, no one is worse than nickel back.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Lixa wrote:
I saw Swans in September and while they were AMAZING, the overall experience was so miserable I got a migraine. I don't think I can see shows at the Middle East anymore.

Upstairs or downstairs?

Upstairs has always been pretty iffy at best... (Heck, they let MY old band play there, TWICE, so how cool could they be?)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:40 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Panda, speaking of douchebags, have you encounted Darren Mabee AKA beans yet? This guy is so forking obnoxious. And to my dismay he shows up at every King Khan show and tries to make the show about him flopping around in a speedo. Argh, I hate him! It's like, dude, get off the forking stage, I didn't pay $25 to see you.