| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 941 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Silly and shallow celebrity gossip
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

macarons are not a good substitute for cake! not that i've had a macaron, but a meringue cookie vs a piece of cake? no way!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:37 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

GraciaKai wrote:
Ive never even had a french macaroon, so im not disputing. But I would think that if Natalie Portman wanted vegan french macaroons for her wedding she could find someone to do it. That doesnt mean they would taste as good as the non-vegan ones though.

But we also know she eats nonvegan desserts when it's convenient...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:41 pm 
Semen Strong

strawberryrock wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
Ive never even had a french macaroon, so im not disputing. But I would think that if Natalie Portman wanted vegan french macaroons for her wedding she could find someone to do it. That doesnt mean they would taste as good as the non-vegan ones though.

But we also know she eats nonvegan desserts when it's convenient...

And Natalie Portman wasn't able to find someone who could make cakes and cookies vegan, so she had to go back to eating dairy and eggs while she was pregnant, so apparently she and her staff aren't that good at finding vegan bakers....
http://www.greenwala.com/channels/food- ... Vegetarian

And she lives in NYC for the most part. She could have sent an assistant to Terri, Blossom, Candle, Sacred Chow, Red Bamboo (for Vegan Treats cakes) every day. Seriously, she needs to hire me to be her vegan cake finder. I'd find the hell out of those cakes every day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ijustdiedinside wrote:
macarons are not a good substitute for cake! not that i've had a macaron, but a meringue cookie vs a piece of cake? no way!

Laduree macaroons are a good substitute for anything, up to and including sex. I had them for my birthday the year %#€} took me to Paris.

I'm assuming that Natalie Portman would have had that quality of macaroon. If not, then, yes--cake, please.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:16 am 
Hip Goiter

Natalie is probably the only person to have had amazing vegan macarons because the secret swap for egg whites is baby, and she has the power to make that happen.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:18 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

RandiJM wrote:
Natalie is probably the only person to have had amazing vegan macarons because the secret swap for egg whites is baby, and she has the power to make that happen.

I love you!

ALSO, thank goodness! I'm not saying it's impossible because I had a vegan meringue on a lemon meringue pie once, but I, just, I don't understand it, and I didn't know why more people weren't perplexed.

I think I like the idea of macarons more than I actually like them. They're just so pretty and dainty. If I were Natalie Portman, I would have had an almond cake with some kind of berry jam and buckets of champagne.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:28 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I've had that ener-g macaroon and there is no way that Natalie Portman served that to guests of her wedding. I will put money on this. They are somewhat macaron-like, maybe I can give you that, but they are not macarons.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:29 pm 
Hip Goiter

I would have just played with this baby the whole wedding.

The husband looks too much like Andy Murray now that he shaved the beard and I don't know how to feel about him anymore!

In other news, I just saw a headline about "Jennie Garth's new beau" and did a double take. I totally forgot she and Peter Facinelli were divorced!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:47 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Didn't all the "news" sources say Chelsea Clinton had a vegan wedding, and it turned out there was a vegan option but they also served meat? I don't know, but I didn't think Natalie was even vegan herself; I'd think if she had macarons, they would definitely not have been vegan.

Has anyone tried Hannah K's recipe? I've never had a macaron, I'm just wondering how they compare.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:35 pm 
Ninja Master

Amy wrote:
Has anyone tried Hannah K's recipe? I've never had a macaron, I'm just wondering how they compare.

Ive tried ones that MessyVeggie made. but I cant tell you how they compare cuz I never had a non-vegan one.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:17 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Holy crepe, Joey from the Real World died? I think his season was the very last one I actually bothered to watch every now and then. I remember him having a lot of drug and alcohol issues and even doing Celeb Rehab, but damn he was so young.http://omg.yahoo.com/news/former-real-w ... 38641.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Its the fourth person on Celeb Rehab thats died. Great work Dr Drew!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:15 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Abelskiver wrote:
Its the fourth person on Celeb Rehab thats died. Great work Dr Drew!

Excuse me while I climb on my soapbox.

Being an addict is a lifelong thing. You can't cure it, all you can do is kick the physical addiction and try to keep the mental addiction from convincing you that doing drugs is a great idea. I know someone who almost died last year, and before that she was already on a regular diet of pain meds for a chronic condition. She had her guts sliced open a few weeks ago which meant she got really heavy narcotics, and now they're going to start tapering off her pain meds and she is scared to death because she knows the withdrawl is going to be hell. But she is absolutely not an addict, because she doesn't have that mentality. No one in her family or involved in her care is worried that she's going to start like, stealing and hiding drugs. I've also known people who have done things like heroin or cocaine for awhile, and once they went through the process of getting off of it, they were fine and can even drink socially without turning to harder drugs again.

Even if it was for tv, Dr. Drew gave these people FREE, top quality care. Many of them got free aftercare. Steve Adler got multiple visits to the program, and he kept relapsing. Is it because Dr. Drew is a shitty doctor? Is it because the entire staff is shitty? Or is it because these people have an illness that never goes away? It's like having a devil on your shoulder all the time, because drugs are the easy option. They dull everything out. Being sober is hard when you know that everything would be a lot less harsh if you weren't. And it's like that for the rest of your life. MacKenzie Phillips ended up on Celebrity Rehab because she got busted with drugs after being sober for over a decade. She didn't die, but she could've.

It's no one's fault that those people are dead, especially not the person who put a lot of effort into helping them.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:20 am 

^ Excellently put. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
THAT.

plus infinity.

abel, i'm sure you thought you were being funny (well, no, i guess i'm not) but regardless, not cool.

on saturday, i attended the funeral of a friend who overdosed. not once did i think to myself that his death was due to something another person did or didn't do in helping him deal with his troubles within and outside of substance abuse.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Awwww Joey :o(

As a child of addicted parents I agree with the above statement from MBM. The addiction never goes away, even if the person has stopped taking the drug of their choice. It is a lifelong battle that will destroy anything in its path.

Dr. Drew did nothing but help or try to help. Maybe the tv setting was not the proper help they needed or the correct setting. But, every person dealing with addiction needs to help themselves as much as the people trying to help them. He can't cure anybody. Im sure if you looked at the stats of rehab centers all over the world, you would see many people don't make it out alive after multiple attempts of trying.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:20 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm sorry that I've offended people. You're right, addiction is not a joking matter. Its not Dr Drew 's fault they died, but he does exploit people who perhaps should be dealing with their issues privately. I think the show is sick.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't think he exploits anyone! These people chose to be on the show. And Joey was already on another reality tv show, so why wouldn't he do one again? What's the difference between Celebrity Rehab and that Addicted show? They both deal with the same issue and publicize it on national television. But I guess no one cares if those people die because they aren't celebrities.

I for one am tired of people feeling sorry for celebrities that suffer and die from addiction. Loss, pain, addiction and suffering are the same no matter who it happened to. Being famous doesn't buy sympathy in my book. It's shitty no matter what!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Abelskiver wrote:
he does exploit people who perhaps should be dealing with their issues privately. I think the show is sick.

One thing the show does that is positive is that it draws attention to the fact that other people (even famous ones) suffer in the face of addiction and that people can get help.

And saying that people should deal with their issues in private, isn't always useful. Addiction thrives on shame. There is a saying that "You're only as sick as your secrets" and it can be very freeing to go public and stop keeping secrets.

And obvs +1 to what MBM said.

I am sorry for anyone who suffers and/or dies from addiction, and for all the family and friends who try and help and will miss them once they are gone. Its a terrible disease and I think any help and information that is made available about it is a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I said that perhaps they should. But people 'should' do whats best for them, and if thats on national television than ok. Im surprised that people are defending the show but I stand by my opinion and wont try to change anyone elses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:14 pm 

Avril, i used to think you had standards...

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/art ... 33,00.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

ScooterDiva wrote:
Avril, i used to think you had standards...

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/art ... 33,00.html

Beat me to it. I just read about this on CDAN's facebook. That's a duo I never would have imagined.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:13 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Heeee! Can you imagine the (Canadian) douchefest at their wedding? I think it's hilarious. I mean, they do have a LOT in common.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maybe if they have kids they can do an Osmonds thing and be the worst band in the history of existence.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Now THAT is amazing! Ugh, Nickleback!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 941 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 38  Next