| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Fosters
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:49 pm 
We So Excited

Anyone else watch it?
It's a little corny but there's a lot it gets right about older kid fostering/adoption, and it's fun to see a family that looks a little like mine. Except the moms are skinnier, with better hair, and an awesome arts and crafts house no real educator/cop couple in San Diego could ever afford.
Season two premier tonight.

Post subject: Re: The Fosters
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i just started watching this! i'm not sure how i missed it when it first started, because the premise is right up my alley. anyhow, season 1 is streaming on netflix, and i'm recording the first couple of episodes of season 2 (which just started up again last week) while i get caught up. i'm 4 episodes into the first season, and i like it so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:37 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I just watched the first episode on Netflix because of this thread & it's great so far. Gonna watch EP 2 right now!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

yay! i was hoping to find more ppk'ers to watch it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:11 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I marathoned all of season 1 in a couple of weeks! I didn't realise how close to the end I was 'til today!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

just finished S1 before bed last night! sooooo much happening, so many feels.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I watched the first two episodes last night. I really enjoyed them both and can not wait to watch more. I might be in the minority but I felt bad for Tahlia and I can understand that she would be worried with her boyfriend hanging around and living with Callie. (I understand because she is a teenager). I wish that Brandon had done something nice for her but maybe that is still coming.

I also liked the conflict between the parents and punishing Brandon. I could understand all sides and, even though some awful things were said and implied, I was happy that no one was made out to be the bad guy and that there were apologies.

I felt bad for Marianna and her situation, even though she did not make the smartest of decisions.

I'm really enjoying all the characters.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

S2 is on netflix now!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:01 pm 

I'm a little over halfway through season 1. Callie is now living with the Fosters again.

I really love this show and I wish I had more time in the day to watch it. I like the issues it presents. While I always immediately take a side, usually I can see why the other person would feel the way they do. (The only person I absolutely disagreed with was Steph's dad when he said that her being a lesbian was a choice, though Steph's come back was awesome.) I also like how things don't always have a perfect ending. Marianna and Jose didn't have a heartwarming moment with their mother, she just wanted to use them for money. Steph's last moment with her dad was a bad one. I also loved the conversation Lena had with Jude about him wanting to wear nail polish.

There is one aspect of the show that I really do not like. And it is the Brandon and Callie relationship. There are times when I want to fast forward through any scene that they are in together. Even if they weren't foster siblings, I still don't think that I'd like these two together, because for me, they just don't mesh and feel forced. Also, I do not like Brandon. Steph told him what could happen if he and Callie were to get into a romantic relationship, yet he still pursued her. When he told her that he didn't want her to date anyone, I was just pissed at him. He comes off as controlling and manipulative and I do not think that he has Callie's best interest in mind. Like at the cast party when he told Tahlia that Callie was also into him because he just couldn't stand that people thought that Callie ran away with Wyatt. This also hurt Tahlia. Worse is that I think we are supposed to find this behavior sweet and romantic when I just find it problematic. Also, when Callie was in the group home, I was very annoyed when Brandon kept showing up to see her, especially after having a restraining order. Jude could have been taken out of the house if they had been caught. Callie also annoyed me through this part of the show. I wanted to see her interact with the other girls, not with Brandon. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that Brandon and Callie are end game.

Everything else about the show is awesome. Steph and Lena are a great couple and they both feel like real people.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Kal wrote:
There is one aspect of the show that I really do not like. And it is the Brandon and Callie relationship. There are times when I want to fast forward through any scene that they are in together. Even if they weren't foster siblings, I still don't think that I'd like these two together, because for me, they just don't mesh and feel forced. Also, I do not like Brandon.

*high five*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:24 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

bluedawg wrote:
S2 is on netflix now!

Oh yes!! You know what I am doing with layovers on my way to Veganstock if there is WiFi @ the airport!!!

I kinda loved this show and was sad that I couldn't watch season 2 online, because I finished them on Netflix just before season 2 started. But finally!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:25 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Friday wrote:
Anyone else watch it?
It's a little corny but there's a lot it gets right about older kid fostering/adoption, and it's fun to see a family that looks a little like mine. Except the moms are skinnier, with better hair, and an awesome arts and crafts house no real educator/cop couple in San Diego could ever afford.
Season two premier tonight.

I wanted to ask you if you have been watching :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:10 pm 

Finished the first season! I highly enjoyed it. The show made me sad quite a few times! Like when Callie and Jude's dad came to visit them or when the one girl was talking about her daughter that she wanted to get back custody.

I kind of wish that Lexi stuck around. It bothers me in family shows that the kids often don't have friends outside of their siblings. I do like Emma though. I feel that Jesus and Lexi could have broken up without the move.

I like all three of the parents. I like that they all get along but things are not perfect between them. And I can understand the insecurity that Mike and Lena would have regarding Brandon.

I know I have said this before in a previous post, but damn it I hate Brandon! After he and Callie broke things off, I thought that I could get to like the character if he had other interests and goals. But then in the dance episode he pulls that shiitake with Callie again. Yeah I know he apologized and made up for it, but I feel that he has done this in the past and will continue to do it again. Reminds me of the abuse cycle. And inviting her to his dad's place alone to tell her about his feelings for her? Yeah just no. If I were the parents, I do not know if I'd be comfortable adopting Callie knowing Brandon's lingering feelings for her. Also, there is something about the way the actor plays him. Like his eyes don't seem to have any life? I don't know. Please tell me he gets better because right now, he comes off as an entitled man child. In the season finale I couldn't feel bad for him when he was getting beat up. I'm preparing myself for Callie admitting that she had feelings for him all along and they start up their relationship again. Why are unhealthy teen romances so popular?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

brandon is absolutely insufferable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh, Brandon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:39 pm 

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't stand Brandon. I was wondering if there was something wrong with me for hating a fictional character this much lol. I didn't mind him the past few episodes but I do worry that they will bring up the whole Brallie thing again. Apparently this is the shows most popular paring and I just don't get it. I found this tumblr post on the subject that I thought was excellent. And I promise that I will stop talking about Brandon and Callie lol. But here is the tumblr post.

http://faeriesandbrimstone.tumblr.com/p ... o-im-going

Quote:
I haven’t even watched the episode so I’m going off of what I’ve seen in the tags, including a gifset of a kiss that was enough to set me off, and I’m way too exhausted to even begin to fully and properly articulate my views on the matter, but I really just need to get some of these thoughts out of me because are you serious right now.
Here’s the thing: the world is on no shortage of stories of forbidden forking love. It’s on no shortage of teenagers throwing everything the fork away because they’ve decided they’ve found their lifelong soulmate at sixteen.
You know what there is a shortage of? Stories about adoption. Stories that emphasize the real meaning of family, that family is forged by love, not blood. Stories of unconventional families, of lesbian parents, of a multi-ethnic household. That alone is enough foundation for a beautiful story.
More importantly, it’s foundation for a story that real means something. A story so many need to hear, but that too many people are afraid to tell.
We were told that The Fosters would be that type of story, and reading word about the finale is making me feel like I’ve been lied to.
This show never needed Brallie. This show was never supposed to be about Brallie.
I don’t care if you love Brallie. I don’t care if it’s your OTP. If you’re happy Callie might not be getting adopted because it means you’re ship is sailing, you’re missing the point of this entire show. Because the point was never Brallie. Brallie was not what this show was advertised based on. This show could have been fine without ever bringing in Brallie. This show would have been better without Brallie.
Because Brallie isn’t what I signed up for. Another straight white forbidden love story isn’t what I signed up for.
And what if Brallie had never happened again after 1B? Shippers probably would have been upset. And I mean, solely from a shipping perspective, I get it. It sucks when your favorite ship doesn’t sail and it sucks when a ship you hate does.
But you didn’t need Brallie.
You didn’t. A couple years, after this show goes off the air, it’ll just become another ship on your list.
But so many people needed this show. For reasons way beyond shipping. For reasons that have nothing to do with shipping. If you’re a Brallie shipper and you’re actually reading this, then the pivotal thing you need to get through your head is: most anti-Brallie people are anti-Brallie for reasons that have fuckall to do with shipping and everything to do with the fact that we were promised something important that we aren’t getting.
You didn’t need Brallie.
But this show was revolutionary for some people. For queer people, for foster kids, for adoptees and people of color. Those are the people this show was promised to be for. And they are being stepped on for the sake of a ship. I am being stepped on for the sake of a ship.
You weren’t promised Brallie, but we were promised a story of adoption that we’re not getting. I saw the words “maybe this was supposed to happen” and I wanted to scream. God, I’m so glad that Callie’s glad she isn’t getting the family she’s wanted and needed her nearly whole damn life, that will be her family for the rest of her life, the family her brother was adopted into (and her brother is her sun and stars and if you disagree then you haven’t been paying attention) so she can be with her goddamned boyfriend who, believe it or not, she is not even remotely guaranteed to be with forever.
If I wanted to watch a story about forbidden love, I’d watch a story that advertises itself as forbidden love. And it wouldn’t be hard, because there are plenty of alternatives.
But guess what? For a lot of us, there is no alternative.
If Brallie didn’t happened and you stopped watching, then all you’d be losing is another abc family show, another cookie cutter teenage romance.
And that will never compare to what other people are losing. I can’t truly speak for anyone but myself, but I can tell you right now: this is the first television show I’ve personally ever watched that primarily focused on a family with lesbian parents. And it changed my forking life. It made me feel secure about things that I used to spend nights crying about. I was still painfully, painfully frightened and insecure about this fundamental aspect of myself, one that I’d never seen portrayed in a family show. Stef and Lena showed me I could still be a parent, and a damn good one at that. They opened me up to the idea of adoption, made me realize it was a legitimate option for myself in the future. They helped me understand I wouldn’t be losing anything if I embraced this part of myself. This is the first, and currently only, show that has ever made me feel this way.
And, because of that, I’ll probably stick around as long as their relationship remains, but it hurts. It hurts watching their relationship – not their characters, but relationship – become a secondary force. It hurts watching them fight and fight and fight for this girl that they love so much and think of as a daughter only for her to be continuously ripped away from them, and to know they possibly won’t even be able to adopt her after so hard they’ve fought. It hurts to know there are people cheering for it.
If I don’t have this relationship on this show, I don’t have anything to fall back on.
What about the people of color watching this show, who more than deserve to see Mariana and Jesus get storylines on par with the white children? Who deserve to see Lena happy? And if they lose this show, what else do they have?
What about the adopted kids and foster who are watching Callie, over and over again, consider throwing away being adopted by this beautiful family over a boy? And if they lose this show, what else do they have?
If Callie is adopted by the Quinns – if Callie is adopted by her bio family – so she can be with Brandon, this show becomes a lie. Everything this show was founded on becomes a lie. And if that’s what you’re rooting for, you’re missing. the. point. I don’t care what you say.
For some people, this show is – or was – more than a show; it’s one of the only things that’s made so many people, including me, feel like we mattered. Like we were worthy of our stories being told.
And if you think this show shitting on everything it was supposed to be about, if you think this show taking away one of the painfully few adoption stories to exist on television, if you think what so many are losing by losing this show, if you think this show potentially devolving from meaningful and revolutionary to just another typical forbidden romance, is worth it because you get to see your ship make out, then I don’t even want to talk to you.
You’re the audience being catered to right now. Just like you always are in the end. Once again, it’s all about the precious ~straight white teenage love~ and, I’m seriously fearing, ~bio family~.
And I’m angry about it, and I’m not sorry that I’m angry. I was promised so much more than this cheap, dime a dozen love story.
I deserve better. You deserve better. We all deserved so much better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:51 pm 

Just finished season 2. Is there really only ten episodes? When does season 3 start up? I need more lol.

I was very surprised and impressed that the show featured a late term abortion. As much as I wanted there to be a happy ending, Lena risking her health and everything turning out to be fine, I think that going the abortion route was much better. We rarely ever see abortion on TV and it is especially rare to see a late term abortion. So many women go something similar and it is rarely ever acknowledged. The episode was heart breaking and I especially loved that only women were involved in the decision, from the doctor who was a woman and delivered the bad news, and made the suggestion, to Steph who was concerned about Lena's health, to Lena's mom showing up and talking to her and assuring her that her foster children will love her and that they need her to be alive. I'm glad that they showed how heart breaking the decision was. Too often the pro life movement depicts any woman that has an abortion as selfish or careless. They never acknowledge that late term abortions are rare and nearly always done due to medical issues. Also loved the moment between Lena and her mom because they have had a complicated relationship.

Was there any outrage over this episode? I realize that there would also be outrage over the entire show but I'm shocked that my mother didn't call me and complain about the show because she had heard about the episode on fox news. (My parents are Catholic and are of the extreme variety)

That aside, I can't stand Sophia. I was fine with her until the end of the season finale and now I'm also not liking Callie's biological father. And I won't mention the very end of the final episode because I promised not to... Other character I hate is Connor's dad.

I'm also happy that Mariana's hair is back to brunette.

And what did Jude and Connor do in the tent! I'm torn if I want to know because they both look so young lol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:24 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i think that was season "2A" and the other half will air later on (maybe this winter?)... so hopefully not too long of a wait.

i also let out a joyful hoot when mariana dyed her hair back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:04 am 

Okay good, do there is more season 2.

Am I the only one who ships Callie and Cole?