| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Worst Cooks in America
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:32 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

This show has also made me like Bobby more, I didn't prior to it. (I think Bobby is definitely trying to cultivate a more likable image these days. His conduct in the Morimoto battles, among other things, had people hating him and I think that both he and the Food Network may have taken notice.)

Kind of hoping Anne is dethroned this time, as after three seasons I've grown weary of her- she definitely seems to have gotten meaner over time.

queenofpainting, I am with you on Jenny. LOVE HER, they need to bring her back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I was really disappointed when they eliminated Eric/ka, the queen of Tufu, not at all because she could cook, but because she provided so
much personality to the season. It feels like now they have a whole lot of sincere people trying really hard. No one like Jenny who had some
real personal style. So we're left with Chef Anne to spice things up with her special Mean Sauce. I'm glad Bobby decided to play against that by
being kind to his team. (My younger son is into Food Network, so I have seen far too much of all of these people cooking far too many steaks).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:47 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

This last episode was traumatizing.

That said, I love who is in the final 4.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 am 
Nailed to the V

I couldn't watch it. Turned off during the intro. Figured I could see online who got caught.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Booo for the vegan wife who said that she was willing to eat pork bc it was so well cooked. Ugh.

I wish he'd made a vegan dish for her, or had another family member taste his food.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:39 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yeah, the "vegan" eating pork really bugged me. It'd be one thing if she was introduced as a person who primarily eats vegan food but is not strict, because giving up veganism for the sake of television is just kind of sad. They totally could have made a beautiful vegan dish! It's not that hard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I was behind four episodes and caught up last night. I have to say that I was super stoked when Tiffany and Dorothy got eliminated because they were getting on my forking nerves.

I agree with everybody about Chef Anne. I just do not like her condescending attitude when she's dealing with people who are just learning how not to suck at cooking. I've never had a problem with Bobby (though I have never been a fan of Iron Chef), but I like him even more based on how he treats people on the show. Even if somebody asks a stupid question, he's nice and laughs it off. I hope he wins, because I cannot take another season of Anne.

I'm really not too sure between Vinny and Kelli. I think if the final involves potatoes, Vinny has a good chance at winning. Haha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:10 pm 
Semen Strong

It was just so poorly done.

The husband (David) didn't even consider Tenae, his wife's veganism, and there was no conflict on her part. She had absolutely no qualms putting his meat in her mouth. And I wonder if she felt like she couldn't say anything without costing him the contest and $25,000. It ends up making vegans look hypocritical and flaky. Your dinner guest is just vegan because she doesn't like your food - make a good dish and she'll be all over it.

It would have been so much nicer had he done a nice vegan dish.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:27 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Lidwiz wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
i was so sad to see crazy lady go!!! :-(

why was she throwing salt on a fire?!?!? and why did she want to throw flour on it?!?!? i mean i guess i get it might smother it but it also seems like it would make a big burnt/charred mess!

Flour is flammable and can explode. Don't ever use it on a fire. Use baking soda if you don't have an extinguisher.

Yes, I actually think this is a reason why there's a real chance of explosion in flour mills - all of the flour suspended in the air can actually ignite. It happened in Minneapolis in the 1870s - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_City_Museum

Quote:
The first Washburn A Mill, built by C. C. Washburn in 1874, was declared the largest flour mill in the world upon its completion, and contributed to the development of Minneapolis. On May 2, 1878, a spark ignited airborne flour dust within the mill, creating an explosion that demolished the Washburn A and killed 14 workers instantly. The ensuing fire resulted in the deaths of four more people, destroyed five other mills, and reduced Minneapolis’s milling capacity by one third. Known as the Great Mill Disaster, the explosion made national news and served as a focal point that led to reforms in the milling industry. In order to prevent the buildup of combustible flour dust, ventilation systems and other precautionary devices were installed in mills throughout the country.

Moral of the story: use baking soda, not flour, on a fire.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Vegan lady might not have ever really been vegan. I've met a few who just "don't like" meat, so they call themselves veg if they think it is cool, but they never really follow a veg diet except when they want to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah. I didn't really get that she was vegan for ethics. She could have just been vegan because she hated his cooking and wanted to lose weight or something. Definitely not the first time a veg has gone omnivorous on reality tv. In fact, I can think of one time that somebody actually said "fork that," but she did end up eating a worm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:21 pm 
Semen Strong

The vegetarian wasn't vegetarian and the vegan wasn't a vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:31 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I still like this show though. Saffron lady made me bust a gut laughing so hard, especially at Bobby's reaction.

I think that for every winning cupcake, FN just has to do something negative. They can't help themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:41 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that there is a tendency (best demonstrated by Hamthony Boarstain) among chefs to think that vegan food is boring and that veg*ns are annoying. and that ends up becoming evident in the eye-rolls and off-hand remarks.

I do wish they'd have Isa do a vegan show. Maybe she could travel around the US meeting awesome PPKers and eating great food in their city.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Tofulish wrote:
The vegetarian wasn't vegetarian and the vegan wasn't a vegan.

Say what now? Are you talking about on this show? Just wanted to clarify I was talking about reality tv as a whole. My reference was to Kimmy from Survivor Australian Outback. There was a lot of support from her when she refused to eat cow brain's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think she is referring to a lady earlier in the season (or maybe a previous season???) who said she was a vegetarian and then is hacking a fish to death and tasting veal.

the vegan wife eating pork chops really bothered the shiitake out of me. i mean say you normally dont eat meat dont say you're a vegan. it makes those of us who give a crepe look like flaky idiots.

i want Vinny to win. i like him the best and i think Bobby was his coach so that would mean no more Anne!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:17 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
i mean say you normally dont eat meat dont say you're a vegan. it makes those of us who give a crepe look like flaky idiots.

Yeah, really. I hope anyone who watches the show isn't given the impression that (1) the flavor or quality of meat will change a vegan's beliefs, and (2) that because some self-proclaimed vegan person thought it was fine to eat meat one time that every other vegan can be persuaded to do the same. If the woman abstains from animal products as much as possible, that's awesome, but she had a decent opportunity to represent veganism on a popular show and sort of stepped all over veganism a little. So yeah, I'm going to judge her decisions given that she *is* representing a larger population/community on some level, whether she wants to do so or not. Don't care if that makes me a snob.

But if the show's producers just slapped the term "vegan" on her without her calling herself such, and they also didn't allow herself to explain publicly why she decided to eat meat this one time (other than to support her husband, obviously), I can at least understand that. TV is sneaky sometimes.

As for Anne vs. Bobby, I'd like to see Bobby win and move on. I don't know if I would say that Anne's mean to her team members, because she sort of has that attitude all the time and I don't think she's trying to bring anyone down beyond providing entertainment. Maybe I have to go back and rewatch this season. I remember season one she had a sort of tough love treatment of Jenny (the waitress) because she could see her passion, but she totally had respect for Jenny. But yeah, I do really like the way Bobby acts on the show. I'm starting to like him more and more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:08 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Tofulish wrote:
I think that there is a tendency (best demonstrated by Hamthony Boarstain) among chefs to think that vegan food is boring and that veg*ns are annoying. and that ends up becoming evident in the eye-rolls and off-hand remarks.

I do wish they'd have Isa do a vegan show. Maybe she could travel around the US meeting awesome PPKers and eating great food in their city.

We have great places to take her. And Vyapti would cook some fantastic stuff!

Back on topic. Both Kelli and Vinnie have a seriousness about them, without them being all work. They have both shown amazing growth and a joy for learning to cook. I nearly lost it watching Vinnie get all teared up watching his kid eat his food.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:07 am 

Not entirely pleased with the results. They both had an almost equal amount of hits and misses, but Vinnie's appetizer was perfect, if I remember correctly, and all three of Kelli's dishes had some sort of issue with the judges. Guess we'll see more of Anne next year?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:47 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I have to agree. I thought Vinnie did a much better job.
I would love to see them bring back Flay. I loved how it was all about the teaching for him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:33 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Nooooo! I don't think I can take yet another season of Anne being a big condescending douche. Really hoping third times a charm. May the Food Network gods retire her, TRL styles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

not happy with the results. i wanted Vinny to win. i thought Kelli did great too and im not saying she didnt deserve it i just wanted Vinny to win.

i was actually surprised Vinny lost because other than the one runny creme brulee i dont think they really had anything negative to say about his food.

im starting to be convinved that Anne has some sort of contract with Food Network and has to win.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

IT"S BACK! who's watching? i love this show! so many gems.

i see they brought Bobby back rather than a new competitor for Anne. i like Bobby on this show. he's so much nicer. i always thought he was a dick on Iron Chef.

i love the lady who is totally in love with Bobby. she's just kooky. that and a quarter cup is the size of a quarter? COMEDY GOLD!

i spaced out a bit at the very beginning but my husband claims someone was cooking with dog food during the auditions. is this true??????

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

bah!! again they have a vegetarian who doesnt seem to have much of a problem cooking meat. then i think he tasted the chicken too.

AHHHHHH!! DISLIKE!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LisaPunk wrote:
IT"S BACK! who's watching? i love this show! so many gems.

i see they brought Bobby back rather than a new competitor for Anne. i like Bobby on this show. he's so much nicer. i always thought he was a dick on Iron Chef.

i love the lady who is totally in love with Bobby. she's just kooky. that and a quarter cup is the size of a quarter? COMEDY GOLD!

i spaced out a bit at the very beginning but my husband claims someone was cooking with dog food during the auditions. is this true??????

Ha. It LOOKED like dog food but it was not. It was some kind of canned chili or beans or something. I tried to forget it since it looked so revolting.

I love that lady who is love with Bobby. The way she carried on during the recent knife skills with her items.

This show makes me laugh so hard when these people try to cook. I'm shocked that some people can't make ANYTHING. I was crying when the guy said he added 'the tragon' to his dish - for tarragon. Thats gold!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next