Elf 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Dwarf 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Dragonborn 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Other 24%  24%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 25
 Post subject: Re: D&D and other tabletop RPGS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:21 am 
A Bad Person

Can I summon this thread from the grave? I'm running a Pathfinder campaign for some friends of mine and we just had our first session last night. Now all I want to do is talk about it.

I'm running Rise of the Runelords. It took us about two hours for character creation and two hours to get through the first part of chapter 1. It's been a long time since I've run a game, and none of my players were particularly proficient either, so we stumbled through a lot of the combat. By the third encounter, we were all getting into a reliable rhythm. I'm seriously at a loss when it comes to mounted combat though, because I've never touched those rules before. I also forgot how much number crunching goes into any time a spellcaster casts a spell.

One of my goblins managed a max damage crit against the cleric and downed him with one hit. I felt a little bad because I just met the player that day. Also, I gave my players the choice of rolling for starting gold or taking the average. They chose to roll, and they all rolled lower than average.

How do you folks track spellcaster spell usage? Do you let your player track it or put it on the GM or both? I've got a ton of multicolor tokens, so I'm thinking I'm going to assign a color to each level of spell and then give the players an equal number of tokens to the number of spells they can cast. That way they cash in a token for each spell and I hold them until they rest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jealous. I played through the end of "Fortress of the Stone Giants" before I moved to Spokane, and I tried GM'ing it here myself, but only got through the first book before I got too frustrated with my group's flakery.

Most groups I've played with just expect the players to track their spell use on their own character sheets.

Probably too late now without a little retconning, but an idea I stole from my former GM and used successfully when I ran it myself was to work with the players beforehand to build in some connection to Sandpoint and the campaign backstory. In both campaigns, one of the PCs, for example, was Nualia's former lover who had since reformed his ways and returned to Sandpoint incognito.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I play a Pathfinder homebrew campaign and I fight on a mount a lot! (I am a paladin whose weapon of choice is a lance. Once you have access to the Divine Steed or whatever it's called, it's a very powerful combination. I can trample opponents, do ride-by attacks so I can charge several turns in a row... Lots of cool mechanics.)

Fights in Pathfinder do require players to do a lot of prep reading, the mechanics get complex fast. We also gave up on some of the requirements (systematic ride checks? If you've been riding a war horse for a certain amount of time I expect you can stay in the saddle unless you're trying some particularly tricky swashbuckling), and the DM has full powers to decide if an attack or a combo of actions are legal, as we don't want to spend most encounters leafing through the books. We're in it more for the storytelling.

We all track our own spells, ammo, potions, everything. A few of us players also use dice rolls at our own discretion for decision making on things like not-so-moral choices, or actions that are tempting but defy common sense. The DM can then ask us to roll to see if the action is successful. I am thinking of implementing a mechanism for decision making, where I would be forced to act according to my paladin code after a number of warnings even if it's boring or detrimental to other party members. This is my first campaign with a lawful-aligned character and this part has been surprisingly challenging.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Jason is somewhat of an expert pathfinder GM, so if you want me to ask him anything let me know! He's run a few of the books of that campaign and basically he's never NOT running a weekly pathfinder game.
I usually end up playing a wizard and I always kept track of my own spells on my character sheet. Sometimes I'd be bad at tracking, but I would always just mark one or two spells off if I thought I might have used them already.
We got the card game for Christmas and apparently that is based on the rise of the rune lords campaign and we're starting that soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:20 pm 
A Bad Person

ijdi, I'm going to take you up on that!

All of the card game bits for Rise of the Runelords confounded, and continues to confound, me about what materials were available for the actual campaign. Like, I don't need little cardboard avatars (even if they're cool) but a map pack would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:43 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'm currently playing a Pathfinder homebrew campaign! I was playing a paladin until he got eaten by a dragon. Now I'm playing a cleric. That DM is wrapping the game up tonight or next week, and I'm going to run the next one, so I'm in the process of organizing details and backstories. I've run a couple of 3.5 campaigns (also homebrew) in the past. Mounted combat has never really come up, so I don't have any advice.

I'm also on team "let the players keep track of their expendables (spells, ammunition, etc)". When I'm DMing I'm generally trying to keep things going at a reasonable pace, because it's so easy for combats to drag out much longer than they need to, so anything someone else can keep track of, I let them. They might make errors or fudge details, but honestly I'd probably make even more errors if I tried to keep track of spells and things on top of monsters and NPC's. Your token idea sounds kind of cool, but I do not have a sufficient number of tokens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:52 pm 
A Bad Person

I got these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004 ... UTF8&psc=1

I got them primarily because I knew the players wouldn't have minis and I wanted something to use for player and monster tokens. I intended on running a different campaign where the first encounter is a swarm of vomiting goblins, so having a large number of same color tokens would've been good. But then MBM found some glass and ceramic crafting squares that worked out even better than these tokens so now I'm trying to find a good use for them.

But man, those glass and ceramic squares work great! I've got three colors of glass, three colors of ceramic, and I can write on them with a sharpie to keep track of what's what. I'll be stuck when I have to use something larger than medium size but I could tape some together.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The cardboard pawns are handy. For dungeon maps, I have a decent sized monitor at the table and gimp files with the dungeon maps and a "fog of war" layer that I erase as the party explores.

Also, the DC to control a combat trained mount in battle is only five, so as long as you have at least Ride +4, you don't really need to roll ride checks just to move around and fight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:57 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

brian wrote:
I got these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004 ... UTF8&psc=1

I got them primarily because I knew the players wouldn't have minis and I wanted something to use for player and monster tokens. I intended on running a different campaign where the first encounter is a swarm of vomiting goblins, so having a large number of same color tokens would've been good. But then MBM found some glass and ceramic crafting squares that worked out even better than these tokens so now I'm trying to find a good use for them.

But man, those glass and ceramic squares work great! I've got three colors of glass, three colors of ceramic, and I can write on them with a sharpie to keep track of what's what. I'll be stuck when I have to use something larger than medium size but I could tape some together.

I'm sure we can get bigger ones, they're just tiles to make mosaics with.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear