| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games Movie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Loved the books! Cant wait to see the movie, but I have to wait for Easter weekend when I can get my gal pals together for it. They gave me the books for my b-day last year, so it is fitting that we all go together. So excited that Lenny Kravitz is playing Cinna.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Fee wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Can someone tell me: is it gory? Are the violent scenes toned down at all? Really scary?

I agree with Randi, it wasn't very gory, there were tense moments but it wasn't scary.

It wasn't gory - the blood was really minimal - but I kinda was sitting there in a theater full of 12 year olds wondering how they were processing the visuals of kids killing kids. Because even though I read the book, watching it was weirder than I expected it to be.

I felt like it was really emotionally intense and I honestly wasn't really prepared for how it would feel to see the events of the book play out visually. I really liked it and am unscarred and stuff but I don't think I could have handled it as a kid. But I was also a super sensitive kid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:45 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

autobotamy wrote:
I was disappointed with how much they toned down the violence and gore. I usually hate that stuff in movies, but after reading all the books I really wanted to see how they would deal with it.... although I wasn't expecting much with a PG-13 rating.

I thought that too. I am in no way a gore hors d'oeuvre but the brutality of the book was not in the movie.

The movie was good, I love the Capitol actors the best!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:58 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It was definitely toned down

Now that I've read a few reviews, I've realised all the things they've changed, I think it was good to go in not having read the books recently

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:52 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I was underwhelmed. I think it was a really accurate adaptation of the books, but the books left me underwhelmed, too. The story could've been so, so, so much more. The film tried to find the more and fell short. It was still good, though.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

boys! and fighting to the death! and kissing!
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/67437 ... games-game

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Going to see it in two hours! Yay! I'll be happy if it's a decent movie, I think. I would be grateful for a brilliant film, but I imagine the mood of the original book is inevitably hard to achieve with a PG-13 rating, anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:58 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

My boyfriend was puzzled by the bread scene. If I did not read the books I believe I would have been too. It kinda looked like Peeta was just tossing bread out into the rain...My boyfriend said if they shot that better he would have liked Peeta more as a character.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The NYT review called Jennifer Lawrence's performance "bland" a "disengaged performance that rarely suggests the terrors Katniss faces," which I disagree with. Lawrence's interpretation of the character was appropriate given the shock of the situation and her personality, I think. There were moments I could clearly see terror in her eyes, and other moments when she broke down her somewhat tough exterior. I wouldn't have wanted her very visibly freaking out all the time, because that would have changed the character. That is, unless I'm remembering the book wrong and/or I completely missed what the character of Katniss was all about.

The same review also points out Lawrence's "womanly" body as a "bad fit" for the starving, dystopian society, but I don't really care for criticism like that given the pressures on women in Hollywood already. I totally understand that a certain body weight may be more appropriate for a place like District 12 in Panem, but what, does the casting of Katniss have to be limited to naturally thin girls or does someone like Lawrence have to slim down for the role? Whatever! Moving on.

My main criticism of the film comes in the opening scene. SHAKY CAM! Whoa, man, did they give a chimpanzee the camera when doing simple shots establishing District 12? Save it for the action scenes, I say; once the games start, shaky cam away. But when there's brief shaky cam shot after brief shaky cam shot when the viewers should be settling into the film early on, it's just too disorienting, and in a bad, distracting kind of way.

Other things I admired in the film: obviously Jennifer Lawrence, the pacing, and surprisingly Josh Hutcherson's performance. I wasn't sure he'd do well in a dramatic, intense film such as this, but I liked him! He didn't quite blow me away but I didn't find any moments where he was any less that good. The music wasn't bad, but I'd have to listen to it more to see what I think ("Rue's Lullaby" was forgettable—shame).

You know, I just mentioned above that I was concerned how the brutality of the games would be conveyed in a PG-13 film, as many critics pointed out, but I honestly didn't have a problem with it. Could it have been gorier? Sure. But I still had the same feeling from reading the book, in all honesty. The violence was effective enough for me, personally.

As for things different from the book (do I need spoilers in this thread? I dunno. Just playin' it safe.):
Spoiler: show
I don't miss the Avoxes. I didn't really "care" about them to begin with (oh, I'm such a horrible person!), and I feel like the threat of running away and the presumably horrible consequences were already implied without the sort of forgettable character(s), which probably would have felt like a tangent in the film.

The dogs! Okay, to be honest, I thought the original concept of having the eyes of the dead tributes was a silly one to begin with. Before the film came out, I wondered if the filmmakers would even bother trying to convey that, and I don't really care that they didn't go through with it. I mean, the horror of having these dead kids come back and having to fight them surely has an impact on the characters, but... come on, it's a difficult thing to execute in a movie. It's also kind of cheesy, if not VERY cheesy. Don't tell me I'm the only one who thinks that.

I kind of wanted to see District 11 send Katniss a loaf of bread. I did like seeing them riot, which I don't believe they did (on that scale?) in the book right after Rue's death. It was a pretty smart way to hint at the future without seeming jarring or out of place. But the loaf of bread would have been easy to sneak in! No? Oh well, that's not a big deal. I just found it touching in the books because the bread was such a valuable thing to send.

Oh yeah, and I don't miss Madge. I almost forgot about her. Blah.

Last edited by queenofpainting on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

No super deep thoughts here, but I was pretty happy with the amount of detail they managed with the amount of time they had. I'm sure I'll always wish they'd included this or that with book-to-film movies, but overall pretty good!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:57 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

queenofpainting wrote:
The same review also points out Lawrence's "womanly" body as a "bad fit" for the starving, dystopian society, but I don't really care for criticism like that given the pressures on women in Hollywood already. I totally understand that a certain body weight may be more appropriate for a place like District 12 in Panem, but what, does the casting of Katniss have to be limited to naturally thin girls or does someone like Lawrence have to slim down for the role? Whatever! Moving on.

I read an interview with Lawrence (in Seventeen, okay) who said she doesn't try to lose weight for roles because she wants to set a good examples for young women.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:37 am 
WELFARIST!

queenofpainting wrote:

I don't care for the criticism either and I think that her body works well for the story. It's true that she lives in District 12 where people were starving and her family was hard up, as well, but she was also one of the better fed people in her district because she took out so many tessera, illegal hunting and foraging, black market trading, trades with Gale, and Prim's goat. It would make sense for her to be very skinny but not emaciated.

My friend and I are going to see it today (Sunday)!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

queenofpainting wrote:
...Josh Hutcherson's performance. I wasn't sure he'd do well in a dramatic, intense film such as this, but I liked him! He didn't quite blow me away but I didn't find any moments where he was any less that good.

Regarding Josh/Peeta in general - I thought a lot of how his character was handled in the movie was quite good. I like that he wasn't shown (in an obvious way at least) until he was reaped, and then when he was smiling/waving on the train I totally saw his charisma come through. In all, I think that the movie did a great job of not making Peeta too over the top in his feelings for Katniss and that Josh Hutcherson did a decent job giving a realistic and subtle performance.

Also, OMG Lenny Kravitz so. so. so. gorgeous.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I liked it quite a bit. I love Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss and would have been pissed off if they chose someone emaciated-thin. I was a bit annoyed that they removed Madge from the movie and changed how she got the Mockingjay pin.....but I understand that it's not crucial part of the plot. I too thought the bread/Peeta/rain scene was odd....but I'm not sure how one would make that scene work, especially since they were supposed to be 13.

I actually liked the shaky cam and what not during the action scenes- more accurate to what it actually might look like from the perspective of a tribute. However, a friend I went with got so motion sick from it that she was dry heaving.

What else....as for the lack of gore....I didn't feel more was needed, as the story is disturbing enough as it is.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I forgot.

There were a lot of people laughing during the violence. It really, really bothered me.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

missdelaney wrote:
I forgot.

There were a lot of people laughing during the violence. It really, really bothered me.

That would bother me a lot as well. I can't watch action movies where people are killed and it means nothing. I feel the hunger games (the books anyways) was critical of violence it contained.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:32 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

the only time there were laughs in the theater I saw it in was when Effie did something absurd. I think that's probably what was intended. It was cool how just one character provided the comic relief.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:39 am 
Saggy Butt

Rowan wrote:

I actually liked the shaky cam and what not during the action scenes- more accurate to what it actually might look like from the perspective of a tribute. However, a friend I went with got so motion sick from it that she was dry heaving.

i liked how during many of the scenes, especially at the end when they are fighting with caito on the cornucopia, the shaky camera made it really hard to tell who you were watching. you couldn't root for anyone in the fight because you really couldn't tell who was doing what. it mirrored the messed up sense of morality of the whole movie where the line between good and evil was blurred completely by the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:24 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

queenofpainting wrote:

Why is there no criticism of Hemsworth's body - dude looks like he pumps massive amounts of iron and to get that body you need food! I know in the books he is supposed to look older/be bigger and that shines through but if they are gonna rip on Katniss' curves then they need to say something about Gale!

Spoiler: show
The bread from D11 - I was sad they did not show it but happy - because that is the point in the book when I cried! Not when Rue dies but the bread afterwards. I guess they wanted to get some of the uprising in there to tie into movie 2? Maybe it was just easier to leave that bread out - not have to explain it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ARGH! I hate people sometimes.

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunge ... movie-made

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Rowan wrote:

This is amazing. I hate everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:04 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

You know sometimes I start to think everything will be better in a few years when the intolerant racist older generation dies out and the younger, loving, more tolerant and accepting childrens are grown ups. And then I realize I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm 
Dead by dawn

what the fizzle is wrong with people? I really hate people sometimes.

The article says Cinna's skin color is never mentioned. I always pictured him as a younger Prince so I wasn't at all surprised when Lenny Kravitz was cast. Not that Lenny resembles a younger Prince in any way, really, just that somewhere along the way I was definitely picturing Cinna as a lighter skinned black man.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wow. I can't believe people. I think I knew that Lenny had been cast, so I always pictured him as Cinna. Rue and Thresh were wonderfully cast and the actors were excellent, especially the little girl that played Rue. She couldn't have done a better job embodying the character.

Ugh to all those racist crassholes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:01 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Seriously? People are so dumb. I think they did a wonderful casting job!