| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games Movie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I went in to the movie not knowing anything about it and walked out quite happy. I thought the beginning was kind of slow but not so bad that it destroyed the movie.
missmuffcake wrote:
My boyfriend was puzzled by the bread scene. If I did not read the books I believe I would have been too. It kinda looked like Peeta was just tossing bread out into the rain...My boyfriend said if they shot that better he would have liked Peeta more as a character.

Yeah, I never read the books and I was a bit confused by this flashback. If it wasn't for the fact that they talked about this later in the movie I never would have known what was going on. And I didn't really care for Peeta too much, either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:51 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Rowan wrote:

Wow. The only complaint I had seen about casting was some disappointment that they didn't choose a WOC for Katniss. This is… unexpected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

http://www.themarysue.com/hunger-games- ... male-film/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:02 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I'm pretty okay with the movie. The costumes were my favorite part. Much like the Harry Potter series, I wondered how people who hadn't read the books would understand everything since so much gets left out, but it was all tied together pretty nicely. For being such a long film, I felt like the characters didn't get developed as much as I would have liked, but again, I think they did a pretty good job. The second book is my favorite and I'm looking forward to seeing how that one is adapted. Also, I agree that the movie wasn't nearly as gory or as terrifying as the books were to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 am 
WELFARIST!

Fharao wrote:
Haven't seen the movie yet myself, but I've heard it's a bit similar to Battle Royale (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/).

I don't really think the comparison between these to books/movies is very fair. I've seen both movies (although I have yet to read Battle Royale) and they do have similarities but they're also very, very different stories. I'm not going to get into why right here because I don't want to spoil the movies for people but a big example of how different the stories are is that Battle Royale is only one book while The Hunger Games is a trilogy that is based on more than just the games themselves. In The Hunger Games, the games are only one aspect of the story whereas in Battle Royale, that is the story.

And the two movies are also not very comparable. The Battle Royale movie was pretty much just a gorefest while The Hunger Games focuses more on psychological warfare and the emerging revolution in Panem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:56 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

missmuffcake wrote:
Spoiler: show
The bread from D11 - I was sad they did not show it but happy - because that is the point in the book when I cried! Not when Rue dies but the bread afterwards. I guess they wanted to get some of the uprising in there to tie into movie 2? Maybe it was just easier to leave that bread out - not have to explain it?

I was hoping for that, too!

I saw the movie opening weekend, and thought the casting was just great. People who were upset by the decisions lack imagination, and reading comprehension skills. I thought she captured the spirit of that character beautifully. I forget that I live in a bubble sometimes, until I read the comments. None of that showed up in my twitter feed because I don't follow buttfaced dumbasses.

I thought they could have spent less time on prep, and more on the backstory, and time in the arena, but overall I enjoyed the film. I was hoping to see Haymitch knock Effie's wig askew and fall off the stage at the Reaping, but you can't have everything!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Spoiler: show
Yeah, maybe they won't address it until the next movie (or if they ever do) but it felt like you needed to know that Katniss was only as strong as she was because her dad died and her mother went zomb-mode and she had to pick up the slack for her mother and her father and go all beast-mode in the woods and shiitake. Before that she was the sickly starving girl acceping bread scraps from Peeta. Like how are they planning to tell the audience that the rest of her District is like at a 2 while she's at a 12?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's strange to me that her weight is even an issue, even for a hungry district. In the real world, she's still a pretty thin woman. Only in Hollywood does she have a thicker body.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:50 am 
Level 7 Vegan

To alleviate some of the rage inducing Hunger Games related topics, this happened:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:20 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

That's adorable. I like that one of them is sitting on a copy of Battle Royale.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:53 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So I saw the movie, but have not read the books. I liked it, but was not in love with it. I was hoping I would have been in love though, since it seemed up my alley. I probably went in expecting too much.

I think the main drawback of it for me was the romance between Katniss/Peeta. It felt like a cop out, didn't seem necessary... seemed too much like annoying romance pandering. I understand it's possible if I read the books I won't mind the romance, maybe it won't seem as annoying. I kind of felt at the end like I think it would have been better had Peeta died, or maybe if they never killed Rue and had Katniss and Rue become a duo and kept Peeta as a jerk with the bad kids, that would have felt more awesome to me. I understand that the way I just described it though, it would become a totally different story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Mars wrote:
So I saw the movie, but have not read the books. I liked it, but was not in love with it. I was hoping I would have been in love though, since it seemed up my alley. I probably went in expecting too much.

I think the main drawback of it for me was the romance between Katniss/Peeta. It felt like a cop out, didn't seem necessary... seemed too much like annoying romance pandering. I understand it's possible if I read the books I won't mind the romance, maybe it won't seem as annoying. I kind of felt at the end like I think it would have been better had Peeta died, or maybe if they never killed Rue and had Katniss and Rue become a duo and kept Peeta as a jerk with the bad kids, that would have felt more awesome to me. I understand that the way I just described it though, it would become a totally different story.

This was one of the things that I wasn't sure if the movie communicated well -- the romance wasn't supposed to feel real. Katniss was playing at it because Haymitch told her to. There are a lot of "what's real, what isn't?" issues that come into play with the feelings there, but it's not supposed to be a natural-seeming romance. It's supposed to be what they're doing because it's what the Capitol viewers -- the ones we're supposed to see as heartless -- want them to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

I liked the movie too, but felt that it was missing some vital information. Haymitch was so nice in the movie but in the book he is a mess, barfing on himself all the time, making scenes and embarrassing everyone, and really pretty angry in general. I felt like his character was watered down and missed so much of his complexity. The scene with the bread wouldn't have made any sense if I hadn't read the book. The mockingjay pin story line was completely taken out. And the romance didn't come through in the same way as in the books, again a complexity issue. Oh well, you can't have everything stay the same in a movie adapted from a book.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

tenderoni wrote:
I liked the movie too, but felt that it was missing some vital information. Haymitch was so nice in the movie but in the book he is a mess, barfing on himself all the time, making scenes and embarrassing everyone, and really pretty angry in general. I felt like his character was watered down and missed so much of his complexity. The scene with the bread wouldn't have made any sense if I hadn't read the book. The mockingjay pin story line was completely taken out. And the romance didn't come through in the same way as in the books, again a complexity issue. Oh well, you can't have everything stay the same in a movie adapted from a book.

My ten year old son said the same thing about Haymitch "He wasn't drunk enough!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:34 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Rowan wrote:
To alleviate some of the rage inducing Hunger Games related topics, this happened:

Yes! This is amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I was sooo underwhelmed by this movie - highest grossing openning? why? I guess because the books are such a hit, but otherwise... meh. Wasted 2 1/2 hours of my life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:16 am 
WELFARIST!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

designedtobekind wrote:
I thought they could have spent less time on prep, and more on the backstory, and time in the arena, but overall I enjoyed the film.

Exactly! I've not read the books, but I told my sister that the movie felt super rushed even though it was long. I mean, it's hard to get attached to characters when they die if you only spend about 10 minutes onscreen with them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:04 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Nebraskalaska wrote:
queenofpainting wrote:
The same review also points out Lawrence's "womanly" body as a "bad fit" for the starving, dystopian society, but I don't really care for criticism like that given the pressures on women in Hollywood already. I totally understand that a certain body weight may be more appropriate for a place like District 12 in Panem, but what, does the casting of Katniss have to be limited to naturally thin girls or does someone like Lawrence have to slim down for the role? Whatever! Moving on.

I read an interview with Lawrence (in Seventeen, okay) who said she doesn't try to lose weight for roles because she wants to set a good examples for young women.

Awesome. Good for her. I thought she looked lovely and that her physique met the discription of her in the book as (paraphrasing) thin but not sickly. Because she hunts her and her family don't starve like the rest of District 12. Sounds like an environment not too friendly to vegans. :)

I enjoyed the book. I agree it could have been more, but I also enjoyed what it was. I think it will get young people thinking, like Lard* of the Flies and 1984 did me in high school.

*I keep editing this to make Lard Lard and the change refuses to stick. O... why is the o not working? What the shizzle? Y'all know what I mean.

The movie was well done. I rarely enjoy both a book and a screen adaptation but I was impressed by both. I am looking forward to the next two books. I am patiently waiting for the trade paperbacks as I am too cheap to buy the hardcovers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just saw it! I was kind of...underwhelmed. I so enjoyed the books, and I think others here got it right saying it was missing some forward energy and development. I did enjoy most of the casting, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:33 am 
WRETCHED

I just read the 3 books over this past weekend. They were pretty good and I'll be interested to see the movie once the DVD becomes cheap enough.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:40 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

linanil wrote:
I just read the 3 books over this past weekend. They were pretty good and I'll be interested to see the movie once the DVD becomes cheap enough.

It was @ the cheapo theater down the street from the campground! Not that we would have wanted to sit through a movie. But its probably @ cheapo theaters up there now too if you have them. I wanna go see it tomorrow @ our other cheapo theater.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:44 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I thought they did it really well. But maybe I was just excited to see the North Fork Reservoir from the ground, where they don't let anyone go at all, and I can see it from work. Holla @ ya Craggy Mountains!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:46 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Oh, I think I figured out what The Seam look was meant to be. Atreyu from Neverending Story.

Those wolf things, totally Gmorkish.