| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Documentaries!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I watch the everloving hell out of documentaries. What are your favorites?

Some I enjoy (I think pretty much all of these are on Netflix Watch Instantly):
American Movie
Grey Gardens
Crumb
David Attenborough stuff (especially Life Of Birds and Blue Planet)
Hell House
Jesus Camp
The King Of Kong

There are zillions I'm forgetting, I'm sure.

Post subject: Re: Documentaries!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:05 am 
Has gasoline in her veins

Wink and a Smile and Beautiful Losers are my two favorites of all time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:07 am 
Level 7 Vegan

thisheregiraffe wrote:
Wink and a Smile and Beautiful Losers are my two favorites of all time.

We just bought Beautiful Losers today at Amoeba music.

I really, really loved this film is not yet rated for making me mad about something I didn't realize I should be mad about.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i watched touching the void tonight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:25 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Vernon, Florida was pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Dear Zachary will shatter your heart into a million little pieces
In the Realms of the Unreal is completely awesome and mind-blowing
Bloodline was a movie I didn't expect to enjoy but really did! About the purported claims of Jesus having descendents

Those three are on Netflix instant view!

I also really like a film called Plötslig i Vinslöv about these crazy residents of small redneck town in Southern Sweden but it may not be something you can appreciate unless you're obsessed with Sweden like I am.

Paradise Lost is an excellent film, but also heartbreaking, as it is incredibly dated and yet the lives of three young men are still being ruined by the stubbornness of an illegitimate and completely incompetent local legal system.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love documentaries, but I very rarely go looking for them. I just watch whatever's on TV. The only ones I watch repeatedly are the Attenborough ones about freaky birds, like this one:

I have been meaning to download Until the Light Take Us, though. It's about Norwegian black metal dudes burning churches.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:57 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Dear Zachary (Definitley the most gut-wrenching movie ever. Such and emotional ride.)
Grey Gardens
No Impact Man
Planet Earth

Also, I actually...didn't like Babies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:48 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Man on Wire
The Weather Underground
Inside Deep Throat
Beer Wars

I'm obsessed with the documentaries section on Netflix. to the point that I watched the one on Beavers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:25 am 
Chip Strong

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Dear Zachary will shatter your heart into a million little pieces

Yeah it will. I have never cried so hard in my life. It was just devastating.

I just watched 'I Think We're Alone Now' on instant Netflix which is about two people who are obsessed with the pop singer Tiffany. It was fascinating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Erinnerung wrote:
I love documentaries, but I very rarely go looking for them. I just watch whatever's on TV. The only ones I watch repeatedly are the Attenborough ones about freaky birds, like this one:

YES! This bird was absolutely nuts! This entire documentary ruled so hard. I also loved the lyre bird and how it made the most amazing, pitch-perfect mimicries. And the little bird who would clean off his 'stage' area so he could practice his dancing for the ladies! So cute!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:47 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Has anyone seen Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap Box? I've only seen half but it's pretty amazing. Dr. Bronner is apparently insane, he's got some kind of disorder where he just can't stop talking. They're interviewing his wife on the patio for the documentary and in the background he's in the pool just babbling away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:58 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Alina wrote:
Man on Wire
The Weather Underground
Inside Deep Throat
Beer Wars

I'm obsessed with the documentaries section on Netflix. to the point that I watched the one on Beavers.

I'm obsessed, too. This thread has reminded me that I've actually seen pretty much ALL of the Netflix Watch Instantly documentaries. I have seen Dear Zachary, and it was heartbreaking. I've seen I Think We're Alone now, the one about corn, Inside Deep Throat, the spelling bee one, the scrabble one, and most recently, The Great Happiness Space, which is about Japanese host boys, and is deeply fascinating.

I now have to hunt down the Dr. Bronner's one, because those soap labels fascinate, amuse, and slightly terrify me, and I'm sure it's fascinating to watch this man speak. Also, I love his soap. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:02 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:

YES! This bird was absolutely nuts! This entire documentary ruled so hard. I also loved the lyre bird and how it made the most amazing, pitch-perfect mimicries. And the little bird who would clean off his 'stage' area so he could practice his dancing for the ladies! So cute!

YES!! The bird that started mimicking the sound of the camera clicking and then the sound of rewinding the film totally floored me. That documentary is unbelievable. I also love the Undergrowth one (about bugs).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 am 
Semen Strong

www.topdocumentaryfilms.com has a great selection of free documentaries to watch online including Big Sugar (on the abuses in the sugar industry), The Corporation, Slavery: A Global Investigation etc. I can highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:12 am 
Chip Strong

That's awesome Tofulish, I am bookmarking the shiitake out of that! (I've wanted to see Big Sugar for a while now)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Has anyone seen Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap Box? I've only seen half but it's pretty amazing. Dr. Bronner is apparently insane, he's got some kind of disorder where he just can't stop talking. They're interviewing his wife on the patio for the documentary and in the background he's in the pool just babbling away.

I tried to watch it but it started really boring me after about 5 minutes. I had to turn it off. I love Dr. Bronners products though.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have Until the Light Takes Us in my netflix queue but keep forgetting to return the movie I have out...I heard it kind of sucks though. I've read and watched pretty much everything on Norwegian black metal so dunno if this will really tell me anything new, but I'm curious.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:23 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Quarantined wrote:
I have Until the Light Takes Us in my netflix queue but keep forgetting to return the movie I have out...I heard it kind of sucks though. I've read and watched pretty much everything on Norwegian black metal so dunno if this will really tell me anything new, but I'm curious.

I super hate Vice, but did you see the documentary they did on Gaahl? It's hysterical, mostly because he borderline tortures these ironic hipster crassholes who come to film him. At one point he's just like "I want to show you something" and they follow him outside. Two hours later, they're still following him, up a forking mountain in a snowstorm, wearing sneakers and sweaters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:57 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Did anyone see "The Garden"? It is about a humongous community garden in LA, it was an amazing movie, I loved it.

Also
The Yes Men
Maxed Out
The Unforeseen
Super High Me
Winged Migration

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:05 am 
Chip Strong

Quarantined wrote:

Until the Light Takes Us was sort of interesting but I kind of felt like it was ONLY for people who know a lot about Black Metal, I feel like it would have been really obtuse to an outsider. There are some amusing parts with Varg and Fenriz but over all I feel like it was a missed opportunity to do something really amazing.

I actually saw it at a screening in Cambridge (at the Brattle) where the filmmakers did a Q&A afterward and the audience was like 90% young males in Emperor shirts, so that was an interesting experience and kind of cool from a subculture perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

I super hate Vice, but did you see the documentary they did on Gaahl? It's hysterical, mostly because he borderline tortures these ironic hipster crassholes who come to film him. At one point he's just like "I want to show you something" and they follow him outside. Two hours later, they're still following him, up a forking mountain in a snowstorm, wearing sneakers and sweaters.

haaah, I saw that, it was hilarious! The Vice douchebags are whining the whole time how they're not dressed warmly enough to be trudging through the snow...that was the best part

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Lixa wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

Until the Light Takes Us was sort of interesting but I kind of felt like it was ONLY for people who know a lot about Black Metal, I feel like it would have been really obtuse to an outsider. There are some amusing parts with Varg and Fenriz but over all I feel like it was a missed opportunity to do something really amazing.

I actually saw it at a screening in Cambridge (at the Brattle) where the filmmakers did a Q&A afterward and the audience was like 90% young males in Emperor shirts, so that was an interesting experience and kind of cool from a subculture perspective.

I think they screened it last night at O Brien's in Allston but I didn't make it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:21 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I love alot of the ones listed already, I'm a huge doc. fan. I loved Stevie, but it's disturbing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:24 am 
Joking!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Considering all the babbling that goes on on his soap bottles, this does not surprise me. It seemed like the doings of a crazy person. Have you ever read the whole label?