| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:27 pm 
A Bad Person

Imitation Of Chris wrote:
I bought Borderlands on Sunday and have now played 27 hours. Halp!

Hell yeah you have!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:41 pm 
A Bad Person

shiitake you guys, a lot of people say Greed Corp is really good. And it's really cheap.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:14 am 
WRETCHED

I said I bought it!

Although I'm churning through mass effect 1/2 right now. I finished mass effect although I ended up skipping stuff accidentally so now I'm going to have to go back.

So many games...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:29 pm 
A Bad Person

SALES! Day 11!

GTA4 complete pack for $10, if you're into GTA, is a rather good deal. The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion GOTY for only $10 is a LOT of good game! There was some hate for it but I personally loved Oblivion. Shatter is absolutely worth $2.50 if you didn't pick it up during the Treasure Hunt sale. It's Arkanoid/Brickout with some fancy graphics and a nice soundtrack. Left 4 Dead 2 for $6.80!!!! Buy it so you can play with other PPKers because it seems to be the one game everyone has and wants to play with other people!

Not a very big day. A lot of intense historical simulations that I can't speak on and games that are just not discounted enough. I desperately want Singularity but half off of $50 is still $25 and I could buy five other games on sale for that much. I guess not every day can be as big of winners as the last couple.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:41 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

God that is a good deal for Oblivion. I loved that game. I'm sad Steam don't have the games I want for Mac. I just have to play the Sims.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:00 pm 
A Bad Person

I know, I sank a lot of time into Oblivion. Bought all of it at full price even! I got the GOTY edition through Steam last year just to keep from having to swap all those discs and installs. Fantastic game.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:59 pm 
WRETCHED

I am going to buy Grand Ages Rome for $1.99. I played the demo and it was pretty decent. I like sim/city building games though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:32 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

If anyone needs help learning the ropes in Killing Floor, feel free to add me! Love that game. Usually, more people = more zombies and more fun.

Currently addicted to Machinarium (I <3 robots) and Dragon Age.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:12 pm 
A Bad Person

Day 12!!!

75% off of all Command & Conquer games reduces nearly all of of them to $5 each. For some reason, C&C3, the oldest of the selection, is $7.50. A lot of people love C&C, particularly the Red Alert games. C&C4 however is almost universally reviled. Hitman collection is a good deal if you're into stealth action games. I've heard a whole lot of good about Blood Money in particular. Empire & Napoleon Total War for $25 is a pretty good price, discounted further if you own Medieval II or Rome. Empire was super janky on release but I think it's been patched up to a playable level. Far Cry 2 for $5 is a lot of game. I've sunk a lot of time into Far Cry 2 and I still haven't finished it! STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and STALKER: Call of Pripyat is a great bundle for only $7.50! Both of those games are amazing, Russian first-person shooters. Jedi Knight complete pack is a great deal if you're into Star Wars and action games! Dark Forces is one of my favorite first person shooters of all time, Jedi Knight is amazing, Jedi Outcast is great once you get past the first two levels. Totally worth $5. If you still don't own Team Fortress 2, it's only $5! It was super fun before all the hat nonsense, I haven't played it in a long time though. Supreme Commander 2 got a lot of hate from fans of the first game, but I kind of loved it and it's a super cheap, relatively new RTS. Flight Control is really popular on iphones and other smart phones, and Flight Control HD is less than $2.

A rather good day for first person shooters! Too bad I own all the good ones already. I'll probably snag the Hitman collection though, I've had Blood Money on my wishlist since wishlists existed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:46 pm 
WRETCHED

I love the Jedi Knight collection although the games are older.

I'm not interested in any of today's deals though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:31 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Rhys wrote:
If anyone needs help learning the ropes in Killing Floor, feel free to add me! Love that game. Usually, more people = more zombies and more fun.

Currently addicted to Machinarium (I <3 robots) and Dragon Age.

You can add me! I haven't played killing floor in ages so i need to relearn as well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:17 pm 
A Bad Person

Day 13! The end is nigh!

Zeno Clash for $3.75 is ridic. It's a first person fighting game (yes, fighting) in a super strange world. It's part of the Indie Heavy Hitters pack, which is itself completely worth its pricetag, but if you can't afford that, I highly recommend Zeno Clash. It's awesome. The Company of Heroes games received a lot of good reviews, and they're made by one of the few developers whose real time strategies I enjoy. The catalog is kind of screwy right now but by looking them up manually it appears that the original and both standalone expansions can be had for $15. Mafia 2 is really new, pretty well received, and only $12.50. I don't know much about AaaaaAAAAAaaaa A Restless Disregard for Gravity except that a lot of people who've played it liked it. If you're missing any of the Half-Life series, get it now! ALL of it for $6? That is insane and they're even cheaper if you own Left 4 Dead 1 or 2.

So today could be the last day for new, exciting deals and it's kind of a bummer. The ones I've mentioned are solid and the rest are either suspect or not cheap enough to warrant mention. But for reals. If you're remotely interested in first-person shooters, get the Half-Life series. Or at least Half-Life 2. Those games are amazing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:28 pm 
A Bad Person

Whoops, I may have gotten excited and read the price of the Half-Life Anthology wrong. It's not $6, it's $10. Still worth it!!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have soo many games... I need to sit down and play for a year.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:12 pm 
A Bad Person

Day 14! The end!

As I figured, this is a wrap-up, best-of day. Since I've probably already detailed out most of these games, I'll just list what my favorites are.

• Hitman Collection $7.49
  • Left 4 Dead 2 $6.80
  • Dead Space $6.80
  • Plants vs. Zombies $3.99
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent $6.80
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum $9.99
  • Killing Floor Complete $4.99

The STALKER bundle appears on my main page but it says "not available in your region". That's probably in error but I'd definitely recommend getting it regardless. (EDIT: it's available, $5!!!! buy it!) Today's indie deal is Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes for $2.99 and it looks pretty good.

Today being the last day of the sale, make sure you've taken advantage of every deal offered! Check out those indie packs, they're certainly worth their price. And don't forget The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, it's only 50 cents!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:33 am 
Smuggling Raisins

brian wrote:
Recetear is supposed to be a really fun item-selling RPG, whatever that means. Chiatroll has sunk some serious time into it.

my god. I missed my name coming up. I don't search for myself enough and I'm always waiting for the "where have you been chiatroll topic"

with it being defined as serious time I had to check how much I played it.

well yeah I like it. It kind of reminded me of azure dreams on PSX but with deeper less repetitive dungeon crawling, not turn based combat, and the social part isn't a big dating game where your guy needs to pickup all the ladies.

Instead you make friends and send them to their deaths in dungeons so you can sell everything they found for you if they survive. Very JRPG in style. JRPGs make me think everyone in japan has some kind of problem with material possessions. "going through my dresser for spare potions? I'm cool with that"

wow I checked. 64.9 hours... yeah

Ok. I also hadn't done everything I want to do in it. If you liked action JRPGs back in the SNES and PSX games (things like illusion of giai) I guess it is a great time/price investment. yes I view my games as hours played vs price paid when I look back on them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:15 pm 
A Bad Person

I'm resurrecting this thread because we don't talk about games enough and there have been some amazing deals recently! Two good deals this weekend!!

Darksiders for $10! If you like Zelda: Ocarina of Time and later, you'll probably love Darksiders! It looks like God of War and it's a LITTLE like God of War, but it's more like Zelda. Seriously. Get it!

Monday Night Combat free weekend and 33% off!Monday Night Combat is kind of like what Unreal Tournament was trying to do in that it's a shooter (third person) that adheres as closely as possible to mainstream American sport spectacles. That may not sound super-appealing but it's really more like Team Fortress 2 style class-based characters mixed with DOTA style maps. It's pretty fun and you can play it TOTALLY FOR FREE this weekend!

Both are good deals and hours of fun!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:23 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Can someone explain what Steam is to me?

Blog: http://blogthejerk.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mikedesert
Band: http://www.myspace.com/hornssf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:52 pm 
A Bad Person

Steam is a game distribution platform. You install it on a PC or Mac, buy games through it, and it lets you download and play those games. Some games have achievements, some games will sync their savegames and config files with Steam's cloud server, but all of the games can be downloaded and deleted and re-downloaded as much as you want on any computer that you install Steam and login to.

There are some obvious points of failure and DRM concerns regarding it, but it's the biggest digital game distribution platform, the most popular, and one of the easiest to grasp.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

so do you pay monthly? are games cheaper than retail/amazon? and you guys are all doing some sort of ppk online gaming together thing?

Blog: http://blogthejerk.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mikedesert
Band: http://www.myspace.com/hornssf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:00 pm 
A Bad Person

There is no monthly payment. The games are priced the same as their retail counterparts, and Steam has a midweek and a weekend sale every week, which usually involves deep discounts on games that are not new but not super old either. Sometimes games will be put on sale for promotions, like last weekend most of the Total War series was heavily discounted leading up to the release of Shogun 2.

There is a PPK group! We usually play Left 4 Dead because that's the one game everyone seems to have. That's another benefit to Steam, it makes organizing and executing multiplayer game events super easy without getting everyone else's contact information.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:17 pm 
A Bad Person

shiitake, there are a lot of games on sale right now! The Victoria series is half off, which are some intense historic strategy games. The Oddworld games are half off, which range from puzzle-platformers to action games. And the Winter Voices games are also half off, which I know nothing about but they appear to be indie RPGs. None of these have dates attached to them, so if you're at all interested get them now!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:38 pm 
A Bad Person

Good god, Steam has gone RPG crazy! This week's midweek madness sales are Batman: Arkham Asylum for $7.50 and the 75% off of the entire Gothic series! All four games, including the brand new-ish Arcania for $18.75!

The Gothic games are kind of like the German equivalent of the Elder Scrolls series. They're super huge and in depth, but they're a little janky and kind of buggy. These problems end up getting mostly ironed out after a couple months though, leaving some really good Western RPGs. I've only played the first one because the second one didn't get a very big release and I just haven't picked the series back up again but a good friend of mine really swears by them. He loves them, jank and all.

On top of these sales (now till mid Thursday), and on top of the Winter Voices games still half off, Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum, Sacred 2, and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition are all half off or $10 each. I have no idea why these games are all on sale but I would jump on them! They're all kind of action heavy RPGs with a lot of content and if you get The Witcher now, you'll probably be able to finish it before The Witcher 2 comes out in mid May!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:47 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

But are there any diners to be dashed in this sale?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:55 pm 
A Bad Person

mrsbadmouth wrote:
But are there any diners to be dashed in this sale?

No, actually there's not a whole lot for casual gamers right now. Believe it or not, those kinds of games don't go on sale very often, even though they're usually priced about the same as a higher profile game that's a couple years old.

This is probably because jerks like me would lose their shiitake if something like Diner Dash were on sale instead of a game like Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 1330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 54  Next