| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:07 pm 
A Bad Person

The Swapper is on flash sale! So you have less than 8 hours to get the best puzzle-platformer since Braid.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I have a really hard time believing that the majority of Steam users wanted L4D2 to be $5 for the 20th time in the past two years more than they wanted Dead Island Riptide to be half off.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 am 
WELFARIST!

L4D2 made the sale??? That makes no sense! That game is almost always on sale for $4.99 and pretty much everyone owns it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:54 am 
A Bad Person

It's dumb but whatever. I think every game on flash or community sale will come up again as a daily.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:28 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Hey, have you guys built your own machines or gone to one of those sites which helps pick which parts you may want? Apparently I've now bought 3 games which won't run on my PC so I think it's time for an upgrade. Problem is I don't really know about computer hardware and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just so I can play Scribblenauts. I'm more than willing to spend the money to get a PC I'll be able to use for years to come on new games but I know it's easy to spend a lot on an already built machine which may be obsolete by the time the next great game comes along. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I'd want to describe how I use my comp normally, maybe a list of the top minimum requirements my games have, and keep in mind I'll want to continue gaming on it for games of future years, and have some CS representative or Automated Script recommend a build for me. I don't want to have to worry about certain components not working together for some reason, replacing components every year, or forgetting something like selecting the right cooling fan.

Finally, I've never built a machine before but I have upgraded components. I'm sure I can put something together myself, but I'd need pretty detailed instructions. Either that or if there's a site which will construct the machine for me without a huge surcharge that would be great. Please let me know, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 pm 
A Bad Person

I always build my own desktop machine. I love getting new hardware, slapping it all together, and making it work. As for how I choose parts, I've found that the Ars Technica system guides are an excellent starting point for me. Here's a recent one for gaming builds: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/04/ ... pril-2013/

As for assembly instructions, I googled "how to build a PC" and this Lifehacker series was near the top: http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to-bu ... lete-guide It's got a lot of pictures and plenty of text describing (in general) how to build a PC. If you use one of the Ars system guides, you can skip straight to the section on assembly.

Assembling a PC is pretty easy, in all honesty. The most nerve-wracking part is setting the CPU in position, and moving that lever that locks it in. If you can do that without bending a irreparably bending a pin, you're probably going to be a-okay. The other part that can cause some grief is that first power on after you've assembled it, and determining if everything is working. This has become much less of a hassle in the last five years since the internet is everywhere and network card drivers are pretty ubiquitous. It's much easier to get a machine powered on and to the point where you can browse the internet than it used to be, and if you can get to the internet, you can google whatever problems you come across.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I usually use the arstechnica guides as a reference: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/04/ ... pril-2013/

Alternately, newegg.com is probably good for building a system.

http://www.newegg.com/DIY-PC-SuperCombo ... tore/ID-33

So, the nice thing about building a PC is that as long as you're pretty gentle with stuff, most of the plugs only go one place and one way, so you can't plug things in wrong.

There are lots of sites around that tell you how to build a PC, and I bet you can find them with google yourself... Again, arstechnica might be a good place to start.

This is a pretty good time to build a system as games haven't advanced much recently, and good hardware is getting cheaper. You can get a decent mid-range video card that will run pretty much every game out there at high quality settings. I usually aim for about $150 for a video card, since that's the cutoff between midrange cards and stupidly expensive cards... Anything between $100 and $150 would be plenty, but check the ars system guide for specific recommendations.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh look, we picked the same link. That should be a sign of quality, right? 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:19 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

10 bucks for Dishonored on Steam right now? Do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:23 pm 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
This is a pretty good time to build a system as games haven't advanced much recently, and good hardware is getting cheaper. You can get a decent mid-range video card that will run pretty much every game out there at high quality settings. I usually aim for about $150 for a video card, since that's the cutoff between midrange cards and stupidly expensive cards... Anything between $100 and $150 would be plenty, but check the ars system guide for specific recommendations.

For sure. To put this into perspective, I've been running with the same video card (Radeon HD 4870 1GB) for the last five years. I have no compelling reason to upgrade it because there are very few games that it doesn't perform great with. Actually, I haven't upgraded anything in five years, and I spent less than a grand on my last build.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I think I spent about $1100 on mine total, but I bought a fancy silent case and silent fans and stuff for mounting things silently (since my PC is also my living room media box), so it was a bit more expensive. I have something like 5 hard drives in there, too, which you really don't need if you aren't ridiculous. With 1 drive and a more standard case, it was probably about a $700 system, and it plays whatever I throw at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:06 pm 

I love that Organ Trail has cards.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:22 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about destroying anything in the build process, I'm mostly just completely unaware of where in the case I'd want to put the hard drive, where I'd want to put a fan, how close, what direction to blow air, stuff like that. I'll google around for some guides. It looks like the lifehacker guide is pretty in depth.

I'm considering switching from console to PC gaming, so a concern of mine here is relative cost of PC versus console and the need to upgrade occasionally. It's comforting to hear you guys haven't had to upgrade anything in so long. However when you say games haven't advanced much recently, should I be concerned they might soon, particularly with the new generation of consoles coming out? Ideally I'd like to build something today which will at least get me to and play GTA 6. I'm not sure if it makes more sense to spend minimally on a machine to play existing games and less CPU intensive ones over the next few years then upgrade again, or spend a lot now and hopefully not need to worry about upgrading for a long time.

I'm looking at PCPartPicker.com now to try and build something, getting some reddit advice too. This is what was recommended to me most recently: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1h2Uk

I'm thinking of downgrading the CPU to: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $119.98 @ Outlet PC. And also getting rid of the SSD completely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:52 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

SSD is pretty much the cheapest and best upgrade you'll do to a system this decade. easily.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

DFresh wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm not worried about destroying anything in the build process, I'm mostly just completely unaware of where in the case I'd want to put the hard drive, where I'd want to put a fan, how close, what direction to blow air, stuff like that.

Everything is actually set up so it only fits in one place. Drives are little 3.5" units with plugs on one end-- you put it into the 3.5" drive bay and run the cable from the power supply to the one place on the drive it plugs into and from the hard drive to the one place it plugs into on the motherboard. The power supply will (or should) have lots of extra plugs, and you might not use all of them. There will be places on the case where fans fit, and while you do have to make sure you get the right size, the case will come with some minimum number of fans (usually 1 or 2, enough to keep a reasonable system fairly cool), and the power supply has a fan built-in.

These days it's about as difficult as Legos. Go for it! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

DFresh wrote:
I'm looking at PCPartPicker.com now to try and build something, getting some reddit advice too. This is what was recommended to me most recently: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1h2Uk

That looks quite good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Just don't skimp on the power supply! Spend some cash on that so you don't have to replace it later.

If you don't want to mess around with thermal paste and all that, you can buy cpu/mb kits for not much more. I've done it both ways just depending on where the deals are.

Graphics cards is the most likely component to need upgrading, but should you want to, you can always sell a decent used card on ebay and then buy a new one later on down the road without changing anything else in your system.

Make sure your mb has lots of ports, but most seem to these days anyway. I've always liked Asus boards or Tyan motherboards, but Tyan are probably higher end and not necessary. I think you could put together something completely incredible for under $1200 without really having to skimp on anything.

Get your ram from crucial.com. You can plug in your motherboard information and they will tell you exactly what to get. Crucial has always been the best for price/quality when it comes to ram, and they have good service too.

I would buy a case in person if at all possible to make sure its a case you'll be happy working in.

This is all so much fun; I'm jealous. I've got the build itch, but I've only had laptops for the past years. I really want to build a hackintosh after Christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh, on ssd: I think prices are going to start tumbling a lot on those over the next 1-3 years. I don't have experience with how they impact gaming, but they do make a nice speed bump with things like Photoshop, but even so, the cost is still too much for me. You don't really need an ssd right off the bat unless you have a super healthy budget. I'd just go for a regular drive and get a nice, top quality, fast big one. With the size of games, you need the space!

Besides, leaving something to tinker with later is half the fun. I consider builds works in progress. Hell, I rarely even actually bothered screwing the covers back on my cases.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:48 pm 
A Bad Person

I'm doing this thing now where I'm going to recommend (officially, through Steam) at least one game on daily sale a day. Today, I picked Killing Floor, because it's ultra cheap and got tons of post-release content. But there were a lot of good ones!

I haven't played Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion yet but I did play a lot of the original! It's a slow moving, real time 4X, which is fairly unique.

Dawn of War 2 is a really good small squad RTS, or at least the single player is. I've barely scratched Retribution and Chaos Rising, but the original was neat for having a loot mechanic in an RTS setting.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is a fast, side-scrolling action game. It's fairly famous in indie circles for being a one-man effort and coming out looking really amazing. It's got a cartoon style, but I've read that the story goes to some pretty dark places.

And I'm pretty sure everyone knows I love Castle Crashers and Max Payne 2, which is also 75% off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I bought a Nancy Drew game yesterday. *slinks off to the corner of the thread*

I found Blake Stone and Aliens of Gold on Steam and was tempted, but not $10 tempted. I loved that game back in the day.

I'm wondering what the fizzle is going on with the beta game I was invited to test. It's a big publisher, all legit etc etc, and they sent me an email with a server code and login information and a message that server information would follow within 72 hours. That was 2 weeks ago! Weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Don't feel bad LW! I'm actually really enjoying Nancy Drew. I'll probably get another one or two on Friday when I get paid.

I got 2.92 left on a mastercard gift card I have, and it'll have to do til payday since I'm moving and I want to sit on my actual money just incase unexpected expenses come up. But I want to buy something since I'm almost done Nancy Drew D:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:24 pm 

I like some of the Nancy Drew games and I play Diner Dash and crepe like that. No shame.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:04 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I got the arson one. I wanted the nuclear physics one, but it was $10. They are very relaxing unless they have stupid mini games where you have to keep doing some task over and over.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hahahaha, I almost threw the laptop out the window at the mini golf game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:03 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Which one is that in? The one that got me was the driving in Old Clock. I ran out of gas and gave up on the game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 56  Next