| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:57 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Support seems like a pain in the butt. Nancy Drew game will not install (or run). I assume it is an installation issue since the icon isn't changing from the default Apple app icon. Nothing happens when I try to run the game. I've deleted and reinstalled 3 times, no luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:32 am 
Discovered unobtainium

So NONE of the Nancy Drew games work. My other Steam stuff is ok. I guess both are going to tell me it isn't their problem. Her Interactive has nothing about Steam anywhere and they have unanswered forum posts from 2009. I also had a bad disc on Windows years ago and they refused to help, so I'm not filled with confidence that they have support that is useful. Steam support faqs say it isn't their problem if it's a third party app that doesn't load.

Why do you have to register a new account for steam support? That is stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 am 
A Bad Person

Remember when we were talking about big game downloads? We have a new champion: Max Payne 3. 33.1GB.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Hey look, OMD2 is a daily deal! If you're going to get it, you should get the whole franchise pack because it has all of the DLC, which you will definitely want, and the first game, which you will probably want even though it's only one player and some things are different.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

I saw that and will probably be getting it today! Also, it's controller supported so that's a huge plus for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:42 pm 

I love playing Steam Sale Fairy, if I could afford to drop the OMD2 pack on everyone I know, I would.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:44 pm 

That reminds me: I still have an extra copy of Trine 2 burning a hole in my inventory, if anyone wants it. I have some cheap tiny games on my wishlist if you would want to trade.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Really tempting but I don't got many games to trade for :/

lavawitch wrote:
Which one is that in? The one that got me was the driving in Old Clock. I ran out of gas and gave up on the game.

Old Clock. The driving isn't so bad if you do a bunch of the telegram deliveries since it helps you learn where everything is, and go to the gas station when your tank is half gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:44 pm 
A Bad Person

Well. I've crafted the summer sale badge to completion. Not sure if I should be ashamed or not, but I do take my sales and community badges pretty seriously!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:04 pm 

Good, now you can give me your extra cards!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:18 pm 
A Bad Person

Yeah. Or I could sell them for about a dime each.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:17 pm 
A Bad Person

Hey, don't miss out on Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, which is also 40% off! It's less than $9, and that's forking criminal for how fun it is!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

That's the last one that I've been waiting to go on sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No Nancy Drew games and no response from either Steam or HE other than the automated messages saying someone will respond later. Sadface.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:34 pm 

I picked up Sang-Froid from the flash deal because it was one of the games that was mentioned when I was looking for games similar to Orcs Must Die. Oddly, I didn't get an email from Steam about an item on my wishlist being on sale.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

I haven't gotten any emails from them about that since the sale started. I assumed they just didn't send the emails during the summer sale because pretty much everything is on sale.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Port Royale 3 looks great. I wish it had a mac port. Rats!

I played the first one and loved it.

Tropico 4 is only $5.99. The Tropico games are a lot of fun. The soundtrack is nice, graphics are good, and you get to be an evil island dictator and oppress people with your secret police. (or you can be nice) I like that you can play short campaign episodes or get sucked into marathon Civ V style game sessions. Every time I play Civ, I ended up glued to it for 4 or 5 hours.

The mac version isn't out yet--that's the game I'm testing now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 pm 

There were a couple of times last year where I found out a game on my wishlist was on flash or daily deal from the wishlist emails, Brian said it's really sporadic though.

I love Tropico 4. It took me 80 hours to complete the main story line, and I think I only failed a few times. I am a horrible dictator so I was always giving into the demands for health care and police.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, Tropico 4 is pretty great. Well worth the 5 bucks or whatever. I think I bought it during the last sale...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:17 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I would recommend not buying any Nancy Drew games on Steam. Her Interactive support told me not to buy from anyone except their own online store and that they can't provide support. Steam says I must contact the third party and they can't offer support either.

Great.

Actually, this makes me wary of buying anything from Steam. This is clearly (to me) a Steam problem as the game won't even load. Nothing happens when you click the icon to run or launch inside steam. Also, one of them doesn't seem to fully install at all since there is no app icon. I've got another one from the Mac app store and that runs fine.

Steam told me that people shouldn't download via wireless and that I should plug directly into the router. Then they told me to make sure my computer wasn't going to sleep during the long two minute download.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:47 am 
A Bad Person

Steam support is notoriously not great at fixing things that are not Steam itself. They provide store and a distribution platform, and once the game is downloaded, they more or less provide no support for it beyond user forums. It's usually on the developer to support their game regardless of the platform it's available on.

Steam has pulled games from their store that were problematic, such as The War Z (now known as Infestation: Survivor Stories) when it released because it was broke as hell and generated a lot of refund requests, and Darkspore recently because it was broken and EA wasn't fixing it. They do as much to protect people from buying games that are broken out of the box as most retailers. Moreso even, as some retailers will sell an MMO long past the servers have shutdown, and Steam generally drops games that are no longer functional for most people.

It sounds like the Nancy Drew developers are giving you the run around and that sucks. I found a bug in King Kong for xbox that caused me to fall through the geometry upon level load, which prevented me from doing anything but watching myself die repeatedly, and Ubisoft pretty much told me to fork off when I sent them a support request. And that was a boxed, retail copy of a console game with no online connectivity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:10 pm 

Yeah, I think you should just ask Steam for a refund since you can't play the game. I have one Nancy Drew game through Steam that worked, but based on your experiences I won't be buying another one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 pm 
A Bad Person

I should point out that it's generally accepted that you get one few questions asked refund from Steam. Every other attempt at a refund will be a huge uphill battle in most cases.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

I think people trying to play Nancy Drew for macs are the only ones who are having problems because I have yet to hear about this for the pc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

I think people trying to play Nancy Drew for macs are the only ones who are having problems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 56  Next