| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:31 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

yeah, seems like Phil had a(nother) meltdown:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:55 pm 
A Bad Person

His account's protected now. It'll be real sad if it's true.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:34 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I can still see his tweets (I was following him before this, I guess?) but that's still the last thing he said. hmm.

he'd do much better just doing his own thing, and ignoring Twitter. people flame him hard, and he ALWAYS bites. it sucks. poor dude.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 am 
A Bad Person

I fired it up Metro: Last Light and I was getting some real horrible performance in-game. It's a new-ish game and I've got some older hardware so I thought maybe it'd finally caught up to me. Nope. It turns out that disabling "Advanced Physx" fixed all of my performance problems, which kind of makes sense because AMD/ATI cards can't take advantage of that junk anyway. It runs smooth as butter now, and it's beautiful. So if you're running anything but a NVIDIA card, turn that shiitake off. I'm not sure why it'd be enabled by default in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:40 pm 
A Bad Person

Hey art game friends (solipsistnation)! Papo & Yo is on daily sale! Only $3.74!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
I fired it up Metro: Last Light and I was getting some real horrible performance in-game. It's a new-ish game and I've got some older hardware so I thought maybe it'd finally caught up to me. Nope. It turns out that disabling "Advanced Physx" fixed all of my performance problems, which kind of makes sense because AMD/ATI cards can't take advantage of that junk anyway. It runs smooth as butter now, and it's beautiful. So if you're running anything but a NVIDIA card, turn that shiitake off. I'm not sure why it'd be enabled by default in the first place.

Oh huh. Yeah, I might try that-- I had to reduce the resolution to run it, and that is CLEARLY UNACCEPTABLE!

The DLC is HARD.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
Hey art game friends (solipsistnation)! Papo & Yo is on daily sale! Only $3.74!

Oh cool. Yeah, I'll check it out, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:53 pm 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
brian wrote:

Oh huh. Yeah, I might try that-- I had to reduce the resolution to run it, and that is CLEARLY UNACCEPTABLE!

The DLC is HARD.

It makes zero sense to me why that feature would be enabled by default if it's going to wreck performance for such a large number of users. Few things turns me off of a game more often than poor performance, and I'm looking at you, Total War series.

And I hope the DLC is hard! I'm halfway through the game and I feel like I could backstab and throwing knife my way through the rest of the human fodder without ever being seen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Steam wrote back today and their response was canned and predictable: contact Her Interactive because we don't provide support. Never mind that my Steam ticket plainly stated that I HAD contacted HI (I included the complete email from them) and been told by them that being unable to install is a Steam issue. If they only paste in a canned reply without reading what you wrote, why does it take them ~3 weeks to respond?

Definitely not buying anything else from Steam. I'll buy Civ expansion from the Mac App store instead.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:00 pm 
A Bad Person

Quakecon! I'm thrilled that Quakecon still exists. I love ID games. I look forward to pretty much every game ID makes. They've been through some rough times with oh say the entire last generation (Doom 3 and Rage not exactly setting the world on fire) but I love them. Even if Quakecon should probably be called Bethesdacon, I love that an entire weekend can still be dedicated to the developers that really popularized the first-person shooter.

Anyway! The Quakecon pack has a shitload of awesome games. Even if you're not interested in classics like Doom 2, Quake, or Hexen, it has more recently released games like Dishonored, Skyrim, and Rage! There's literally hundreds of hours of gameplay in this package.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I loved Doom, back in the day. It didn't make me quite as sea sick as Quake did. I used to be heavily into making levels and textures too. Boy, I feel old.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:46 pm 
A Bad Person

I still love Doom. I'll buy Doom over and over. If someone ports Doom to something I own, I'll buy it. Doom for Gameboy Advance was almost as bad as Duke Nukem 3D for Gameboy Advance, but the Doom 2 port was nearly flawless. And the Xbox 360 Doom 2 even came with a new episode! And it was forking awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, I wish there were an OSX port. Though maybe there is--it's been a while since I looked. Or DOS Box might work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

EVERYTHING runs Doom. They open-sourced the engine a while back, so I think you can run that, and acquire the data files and play Doom that way. Let's see...

Here's one version:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/doomleg ... sion/1.40/

Or here are actual instructions:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_download_and_run_Doom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks, was just poking around and found that. It's more trouble than I feel like going to at the moment, but I'll probably set it up soon. Sounds like I can use the iphone level files.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:22 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Whooooooo wants to play games this weekend?!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

I do!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:21 pm 
A Bad Person

Well, I've finished the games I wanted to get during the summer sale (Tomb Raider, Aliens, Metro), so now I'm stuck in "what do I play?" hell. Do I go back and wrap up Dishonored? Fire up some Let's Plays and finally learn how to play Crusader Kings 2? Maybe I should re-play Bioshock Infinite.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm sure you are all sick of my bisqueing here, but I'll update anyway in case someone is dying for closure.

Steam wrote back and offered me a $3 refund for my 2 non-working games. They also warned me that a refund is against their policy and would be one time only for the lifetime of my account and said that this is industry standard as nobody gives refunds for software (actually not true--defective products have always been returnable, and the mac app store will issue refunds within a certain window, no questions asked; also most companies will attempt trouble shooting before telling you to go away).

I don't get it. I've got two games that won't install and they don't even try to fix the problem. (the first game was $19). I guess I just don't get how a game not installing isn't their support issue. The wrapper for the game install is their product and it seems to impact every single ND title (for Mac on Mountain Lion). Maybe I should give installing a shot on my old macbook running Snow Leopard to see if it is actually a ML issue.

Bah.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Brian: the answer is always more Civ V!!

I'm almost finished with Tropico 4. I've been enjoying it, though it is pretty easy. I only lost a level twice, usually because I forgot to built an amory and rebels burned down my palace. I haven't gotten to the Modern Times scenarios yet.

I'll give a shout out to Feral--they gave me the game free for "beta testing" but a week before release, so I doubt I was very useful. I would have bought it eventually, but $35 right now is more than I can spend on anything (I hate the no summer paycheck thing) so I was super thrilled to have it while I have the time to play. They seem like a pretty nice company. They did the Mac XCOM port that is on Steam.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The Modern Times campaign is 12 levels, I just finished it. And then there's the extra missions, which i'm almost done with. I haven't even touched sandbox mode and they just came out with new DLC for it. I think I paid like $10, maybe a little less, for the game during the Christmas sale so I definitely have gotten my money's worth.

I've also only failed a level due to my palace being burned down. Oh, and a bug in one of the modern times levels that causes an auto-fail. Here's the work-around for when you get to it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/657408-t ... s/62404064

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks! Hopefully they squashed it for the mac version since it was just released.

They said we will eventually get the DLC too, but not yet.

I always try to start out being evil, but then I start doing things like arresting (instead of shooting) the criminals, planting trees, free housing, etc. And instead of stashing in my swiss bank account, I build new rent free condos.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 am 
Nailed to the V

Playing a lot of Shadowrun Returns, it's a short campaign, but with the editor tools they'll probbaly be some great campaigns to play in a year or so.

I love the concept of the Total War games, but I get bored of them pretty quickly, as seen in my recent attempt to play Shogun 2.

Deus Ex: The Misisng Link was fun, but was everything that was wrong with the last 2/3 of Human Revolution.

Waiting for the rest of the Kickstarter games I backed to get released.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:44 am 
A Bad Person

I feel like Shadowrun Returns would be a game that I could get into, but I'm fairly turned off by what I've read about the lack of frequent checkpoints. I don't play games with my finger hovering over the quicksave button but I really hate losing a significant amount of time because I failed a saving throw. But, from what I've seen, it looks really fun!

I don't get what your complaint about The Missing Link is. Help me understand that one. I thought The Missing Link was some of the better parts of DX:HR. It didn't have a stupid boss fight at the end, and it felt like an interesting side story. By resetting my mods, it gave me a chance to play the game differently than I did in the rest without being married to a different play style for a long period of time. It might have been a little light on non-hostile environments, but I certainly don't think that particular complaint applies to the latter 2/3rds of DX:HR. I was rather pleased with The Missing Link.

And I'm definitely with you on waiting for my Kickstarter games. Only one has released (Strike Suit Zero), but a couple are in playable states.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:11 am 
Nailed to the V

So, as a whole I loved HR, but it just got really repetitive and easy after the initial Detroit and China trip, though that can be partially blamed on cutting planned content. I just found the generally confined quarters and obvious vent access in Missing Link pretty easy to sneak around and get the no alarm/no kill bonuses. Another part of the game that this reinforces is the fact that the difficulty really doesn't matter if you're going for no kills/no alerts, at least from what I can tell. Overall the plot was fine, especially the connection to the Illuminati at the end. Hopefully they'll make a true sequel, but this time don't make me need to recharge my batteries to punch someone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 57  Next