| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mm, commentary time:

SPOILERS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08 ... -two-dads/

Spoiler: show
I followed Terry's story with interest and a lot of sympathy as well. I cringed when I read that letter he mentions, the one in the basement that ends with "You can do better."

I sympathized with Sam, but not so much through identifying with her as, well, recognizing myself in her old friend Daniel-- although he's kind of a pathetic figure, he was there and her only friend when she needed a friend. I've been that guy, crushed out over somebody who you _know_ is entirely unavailable at a fundamental level. I'm glad he was redeemed a bit toward the end and didn't end up being forever the guy who was just there to loan out video games and disappoint his mother.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:58 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Mr. Shankly wrote:
When are we going to have another group game?

When are you off this weekend?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

Sunday before 3pm EST. It's difficult because I work every weekend but later this week I should have a bit more time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:17 pm 
A Bad Person

Gone Home stuff

That addendum in the RPS article? Explained in detail here: http://clockworkworlds.com/post/5841111 ... -do-better

I opened the safe and read the letter inside but I never caught on what the transgression was. Christ. The letter implied that Oscar had done something truly awful so I don't think it's a stretch. I had just assumed the whole JFK assassination obsession was a dad thing. I should have given the game more credit than to assume Terry was some cartoon dad and not a more robust character.

On another note, did you find the SNES? It's pretty prominently featured in some pre-release screenshots. It looked like a couple pieces of electronics were conspicuously missing, like the SNES in Sam's room and something in the living room. If the SNES got pulled late in the game because of a complaint from Nintendo, I would not be surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:34 pm 

Tropico 5 is going to have multiplayer. If you want to play with me, you should start memorizing the Grace Slick part of We Built This City.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:50 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
Gone Home stuff

That addendum in the RPS article? Explained in detail here: http://clockworkworlds.com/post/5841111 ... -do-better

I opened the safe and read the letter inside but I never caught on what the transgression was. Christ. The letter implied that Oscar had done something truly awful so I don't think it's a stretch. I had just assumed the whole JFK assassination obsession was a dad thing. I should have given the game more credit than to assume Terry was some cartoon dad and not a more robust character.

On another note, did you find the SNES? It's pretty prominently featured in some pre-release screenshots. It looked like a couple pieces of electronics were conspicuously missing, like the SNES in Sam's room and something in the living room. If the SNES got pulled late in the game because of a complaint from Nintendo, I would not be surprised.

Oh geez, that makes sense. Yeah.

I didn't find it-- there were notes saying that Sam took things from the house-- I assume in order to sell for money to live on while roaming around. Anywhere there would have been a VCR or something, there were just cables, and the one in the TV room was pretty clearly the combo CD/LD player that Terry was supposed to review. The empty box was there, the cables were there, but no actual device.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:59 pm 
A Bad Person

Apparently some folks dedicated to finding the 24th journal page streamed it on Twitch and found it. Confirmed by the devs on Twitter. I didn't watch the stream, but now I want to go back and find out how many I did find. I'm pretty good a digging through drawers. That 24th journal page must have been pretty well hidden!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:54 am 
Saggy Butt

I read all 48 pages in one sitting and now feel like my head is about to explode! I've added the L4Ds to my wishlist to watch and wait for a sale, I'm not sure how I'll go with them. I tend to play simcity, sims, EA's theme (insert thing here) and the ever expanding Dash titles.

I can't believe in 48 pages, I saw no love for Prison Architect! I am addicted to this game, I've heard it's copped a bit of flak over the graphics, for me it adds to the charm. :)
Oh and I've played Tropico, still to get my own copy however. I've just started playing Torchlight 2, it's been easy to muddle my way through the early stages so far.

I forget the word my sister used to describe Prison Tycoon 3, but essential meant it was a rush job and I I should never have bought it, it was cheaper than PA is why I bought it. There's no tutorial, and I have no idea how anything works so gave up really quickly on it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Okay, more Gone Home crit:

http://critdamage.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0 ... -home.html

http://thiscageisworms.com/2013/08/16/on-gone-home/

http://mkopas.net/2013/08/on-gone-home/

The first one has some pretty good stuff to say about the adolescent imagination, video game design, and why Gone Home is scary.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:09 pm 
A Bad Person

darksideknitter wrote:
I read all 48 pages in one sitting and now feel like my head is about to explode! I've added the L4Ds to my wishlist to watch and wait for a sale, I'm not sure how I'll go with them. I tend to play simcity, sims, EA's theme (insert thing here) and the ever expanding Dash titles.

I can't believe in 48 pages, I saw no love for Prison Architect! I am addicted to this game, I've heard it's copped a bit of flak over the graphics, for me it adds to the charm. :)
Oh and I've played Tropico, still to get my own copy however. I've just started playing Torchlight 2, it's been easy to muddle my way through the early stages so far.

I forget the word my sister used to describe Prison Tycoon 3, but essential meant it was a rush job and I I should never have bought it, it was cheaper than PA is why I bought it. There's no tutorial, and I have no idea how anything works so gave up really quickly on it.

Welcome! Be sure to join our Steam group! We haven't organized a group game session in quite a while, but when we do, the best place to hear about it is through the group.

I'm rather interested in Prison Architect for its developer's background (Introversion makes some pretty neat games!) but I'm awful at planning and resource management type games, so I've held off on getting it. But it looks fun and I'm definitely keeping an eye on it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:12 pm 

Game Dev Tycoon is super super super super fun. It might look like time management is involved, but there's not, so it's not stressful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:15 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah I like Game Dev tycoon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Me too! I am digging the heck out of it!

My best company, Vibulon, just hit the PS4/Xbox One era and released a Horror Adventure/Action game for PC, 360, and Xbox One. Unfortunately they stopped shipping the 360 during development, `1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Metro: Last Light is 20 bucks today. If you like that kind of thing and haven't already played it, you should!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:26 pm 
A Bad Person

Out today! Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons! http://store.steampowered.com/app/225080/

Brad Shoemaker of Giant Bomb has said (repeatedly) that he can't see another game before the end of 2013 that could knock Brothers from his personal top 10 list. He thinks very highly of it, and I trust Brad because he hasn't steered me wrong.

But Brothers does REQUIRE a controller, so don't get it if you're strictly KB+M. Get on Amazon and get a Logitech F310, then get Brothers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:36 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Considering getting Blood Bowl, which is 75% off today, and Doorkickers, which is a RTS SWAT game (like Rainbox Six without the FPS element). That's still in alpha, but the alpha is £7 (reasonable) and the full game will apparently be £17 (a bit much).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:08 pm 
A Bad Person

Family sharing is coming to Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

The gist of it is that you can lend your entire library (barring exceptions for some games that require external authorization) to friends/family. They can play your games. If you want to play your game while a friend is actively playing it, it gives them a prompt that will let them buy it or quit out. 10 devices can be authorized to borrow a library but only one person can be playing any given game at a time, and obviously the lender is given ultimate priority.

I think this is really awesome. MBM and I buy duplicates of a lot of games, but when it's a single-player game it's kind of a waste. Now we just need one copy. Also, I have a mountain of games and there's no way I could play all of them. If someone I know wants to play some of my games, they can go nuts. I intend on hitting that 10 device limit by sharing my library with friends.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:39 pm 

You can play all of my Sims expansions now!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:47 pm 
A Bad Person

Gross.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:50 pm 

Although in hindsight, I wish they had implemented this before we bought things like Surgeon Simulator, that you play for a laugh. Or things that make me nauseous, like Farming Simulator.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:56 pm 
WRETCHED

My husband and I might seem like odd balls but we just share accounts and if one of us is playing a game on the account then we go offline on steam. But then again we don't play with other people.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:09 pm 
A Bad Person

I think more people do that than Steam wants to admit, but they also share their accounts with friends, and all of this opens accounts up to hijacking and fraud. Now you two can maintain separate accounts and continue to do what you're doing, but if you're both playing different games, you can do so simultaneously.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:19 pm 

Brian and I did that briefly when I was only playing Plants vs. Zombies. I can't remember what led to me finally signing up for my own account.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:24 pm 
A Bad Person

It's probably when I wanted my Steam account back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:31 pm 

No, I signed up during a holiday sale so you were probably like, "You know you can get X Stupid Game on Steam right now for $5?" And I was like, "So buy it for me!" And you were like, "I am not putting Diner Dash on my Steam account!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 56  Next