| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:44 pm 
A Bad Person

Yeah, that sounds likely too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:11 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, the sharing thing definitely sounds good thing, my husband would think I was crazy if we bought multiple copies of games. We also sometimes discuss (at greater length than I should admit) whose steam account gets a new purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:37 am 
WELFARIST!

Anyone want to play Killing Floor with me sometime this week? Maybe tomorrow night? I should be getting home around 7:30pm EST. I'll warn you now, my internet is spotty and goes out every once in a while so if that happens, I'll get on Steam from my phone and at least let you know.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs: Not Vegan.

...pretty creepy, though. I may have reached a point where I'm going to look for hints (things in the water that get you if you try to just run ahead of them) but I'm going to give it another try tonight first.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:24 pm 
A Bad Person

I kind of forgot that I had A Machine For Pigs last night and played The Walking Dead: 400 Days instead and now I'm all excited for season 2. Except season 2 doesn't have a release date anywhere in sight.

In the daylight, I'm trying to get through Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and this game is TOO DAMN LONG! I feel like I've been playing it forever. And there's a lot of lore and history to the world, but it's impossible to get invested in it because there's very little chance for a future for the franchise.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:49 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

In other news, TF2 is still fun. (Except when you're getting pwned by a trio of expert soldiers.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:15 pm 
A Bad Person

Well. I wanted to play Max Payne 3 today after finishing Torchlight 2, but the Rockstar Social Club (DRM, like GFWL) is offline. So despite owning this game for quite a while and having played it before, I can't play it today because their DRM servers are offline (for whatever reason) and it won't authenticate my copy. The Steam forums are full of people with the same problem that have been posting about it since the 17th.

This forking sucks. I'm trying to find ways to rationalize it. If I had bought it today and it didn't work because the DRM server is offline, I'd be looking for a refund. Maybe I shouldn't buy Rockstar PC games anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Torchlight 2 has an ending...? Well, okay.

I just finished A Machine For Pigs. I think I'm going to enjoy the dissection more than I enjoyed the corpus, if you see what I mean. It felt a little hollow, although it's very pretty and creepy along the way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm excited, this week's Humble sale (thank you PPK for making me aware of this joy) includes Tropico 3 & 4. I'm going to be in dictator heaven.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:31 pm 
A Bad Person

In case you didn't catch it, Daikatana made its Steam debut today! Only $7 for a 13 year old mediocre (at best) FPS! But it is a piece of video game history. It might not be as bad as Duke Nukem Forever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
In case you didn't catch it, Daikatana made its Steam debut today! Only $7 for a 13 year old mediocre (at best) FPS! But it is a piece of video game history. It might not be as bad as Duke Nukem Forever.

Daikatana is a huge piece of shiitake. It was crepe in every conceivable way, with the VERY MINOR exception of the ancient Greece levels which at least had some decent level design.

I haven't played DNF, but I _did_ play Daikatana, and it was awful from beginning to end. The companion AI is deeply broken, even if you can get past their terrible racial caricatures. There are points where it's basically unplayable without using cheat codes. The entire first level is a terrible shit-green swamp nightmare where you are mobbed by tiny buzzing flying enemies too small to actually hit but that do TONS OF DAMAGE. It's awful. I cannot emphasize how awful it is. It's not even "Well, that 7 bucks would just go to crack and underage prostitutes otherwise, so I might as well buy Daikatana." Support your local crack dealers instead-- the world will be a better place than if you were to encourage anyone to do anything with Daikatana at all ever again aside from excoriate it and ridicule the people who thought it was worth shipping.

The only good thing to come out of Daikatana was that I wrote this review, which got me a job writing for MacGamer:

http://www.epinions.com/review/game-Sof ... prod3?sb=1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Seriously, don't pay money for Daikatana.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 pm 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
brian wrote:

Daikatana is a huge piece of shiitake. It was crepe in every conceivable way, with the VERY MINOR exception of the ancient Greece levels which at least had some decent level design.

I haven't played DNF, but I _did_ play Daikatana, and it was awful from beginning to end. The companion AI is deeply broken, even if you can get past their terrible racial caricatures. There are points where it's basically unplayable without using cheat codes. The entire first level is a terrible shit-green swamp nightmare where you are mobbed by tiny buzzing flying enemies too small to actually hit but that do TONS OF DAMAGE. It's awful. I cannot emphasize how awful it is. It's not even "Well, that 7 bucks would just go to crack and underage prostitutes otherwise, so I might as well buy Daikatana." Support your local crack dealers instead-- the world will be a better place than if you were to encourage anyone to do anything with Daikatana at all ever again aside from excoriate it and ridicule the people who thought it was worth shipping.

The only good thing to come out of Daikatana was that I wrote this review, which got me a job writing for MacGamer:

http://www.epinions.com/review/game-Sof ... prod3?sb=1

All accurate! And don't forget that a full half of the game's weapons are just as lethal to the player either because of insane splash damage, or dumb life-leech abilities, or ricocheting shots that always manage to hit you in the face.

"I can't leave without my buddy Superfly." Get used to hearing that, because Superfly got stuck on some level geometry half a mile back. Man, all this talk about Daikatana makes me want to replay Daikatana. And gift it to everyone I know on Steam.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:23 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
All accurate! And don't forget that a full half of the game's weapons are just as lethal to the player either because of insane splash damage, or dumb life-leech abilities, or ricocheting shots that always manage to hit you in the face.

...or because your "allies" have them and they shoot you in the back constantly until you die.

Quote:
And gift it to everyone I know on Steam.

You are a bad man.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

RPS is doing a Let's Play...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10 ... daikatana/

I haven't watched it, but it might give you some idea...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:47 pm 
A Bad Person

There have been rumors of this but it finally happened!

Bioshock 2 is GFWL-free! Minerva's Den is available through Steam! Achievements work! Controllers work! CD keys can be redeemed for a Steam copy! Protector Trials and all of the multiplayer DLC are free! Minerva's Den is free for previous Bioshock 2 owners!

And since this is a 2K publisher weekend, it's pretty likely to be on serious discount sometime soon!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Whoa hey. Hm, how did I acquire it in the first place? Maybe I'll reinstall and see.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

I still can't figure out how to get Bioshock 2 to work on my computer. I think I ended up getting frustrated and uninstalling it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I still can't figure out how to get Bioshock 2 to work on my computer. I think I ended up getting frustrated and uninstalling it.

Was that before a week ago? Because a week ago it was still Games For Windows Live, which is the WORST THING EVER. As of the other day, it's NOT! It's just straight-up Steam and no dealing with GFWL which is the WORST THING EVER.

Seriously, I just hit "Install" from Steam and it installed and I could play it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:49 am 
WELFARIST!

Seriously? fork YES! I'm trying this again!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Knock-Knock is out, and quite inexpensive.

I made it through one night, I think. It's weirdly tense and very very creepy, especially for being so cartoony. Also there's a thing with a leg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:33 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Playing Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm and I can't decide if:
1) I've had a run of bad games
2) to become competent at the game takes more time and effort than I'm willing to put in
3) I'm liking it less the more I play it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:30 pm 
A Bad Person

A lot of (allegedly) good games came out this week! Like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: Special Edition!!!

Also, Batmen got the Bioshock 2 treatment (GFWL/Securom dropped, all DLC added) ! I guess it's time for me to play Batmen again! Or finish Bioshock 2! Or finish KOTOR! Or finish Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs! Or play Doom 2 all weekend!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:57 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

the stanley parable!

but it's win-only :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:13 pm 
A Bad Person

NO DISCUSSING THE STANLEY PARABLE! I haven't played it! Not even the free mod that I probably already have installed!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 56  Next