| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steam PC gaming!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:50 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm not much of a FPS type, would I like Bioshock infinite? I mean I love Mass Effect but that is more than a FPS.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:15 pm 
A Bad Person

Hmmm. Well the action is largely relegated to set pieces. It's not like Doom, where enemies are around every corner. Even its predecessors, Bioshock and System Shock 1/2, were heavier on action. You spend a lot of time exploring Columbia, and then you'll get attacked by a couple handfuls of enemies, and then you're more or less safe until you move on to next big area. The action occurs in specific places and environments. It's also not very difficult.

If you got through Mass Effect, then you'll make it through Bioshock Infinite.

Oh and I should say I felt the combat in Mass Effect could be a lot more twiddly than Bioshock Infinite. You've got party members to manage and your own abilities (even if you're playing a soldier), while you just have to manage yourself in Infinite. You've got a selection of weapons in one hand, and a selection of vigors (spells) in another, but I typically stuck with one combination (carbine/ravens) and didn't do much mid-battle switching. Mass Effect had a pause button because it needed it to manage things. Bioshock Infinite doesn't get super-hectic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:05 pm 
WRETCHED

I decided to buy it because, well why not?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:12 pm 
A Bad Person

Does anyone want to go in on a Payday 2 four-pack? Comes out to about $10 each.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:23 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Papers Please for £3.50, for the next 2 1/2 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:47 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

woot, Stanley Parable for Mac!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:58 am 
A Bad Person

Oh man. Papers, Please. This game really scratches my document verification itches. I don't know how to describe what I find so appealing about it, but I've spent four hours playing it today.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:59 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Whereas I can understand the concept, but I'm finding it hard to see the appeal of actually playing it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:02 am 

the demo/beta/POC/whatever was fun, but I can't bring myself to actually playing the full game

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:59 pm 
A Bad Person

Really? Maybe it's the setting for me. It's not just all checking and stamping papers. The people talk back when you ask them about discrepancies. There are characters in the story. There's tension to it. I'll be slightly less vague in spoilers without spoiling anything but I feel it's probably best to go in just expecting to stamp papers.

Spoiler: show
There's a guy who regularly visits and doesn't have his papers. His first forgery is laughably bad, but I kind of got attached to him with each visit. When you screw up, it doesn't stop the game from progressing. You can stamp their papers and send them on their way, and a few seconds later, you'll get a notification that you missed something. It comes in the form of a slip of paper that you have to move out of your way, like you're actually clearing off your desk. Every time I let someone with a handful of papers through, I half-expected to hear that dot matrix print-off coming to tell me I forked up. There's pressure from your supervisor and government to follow procedures to the letter, but it's pretty clear you're working for an oppressive regime that you barely (if at all) benefit from. Since you get two warnings before they start to dock your pay for discrepancies, you can try to maintain some kind of balance of morality by letting some things slide. There are factions that will pay you to do things against protocol, but can they keep you or your family safe?

Mechanically, I found it very satisfying to actually recognize discrepancies and get through a day without constantly consulting the rulebook. I think the story stuff is strong enough to hold my interest, but it's also kind of rewarding in the way that getting better at doing your job is. But I can totally get not actually wanting to play it. I started up Cart Life before and couldn't get through it because I felt like it was setting me up for some real hard realities.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:37 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

It reminds me of one of Grayson Perry's (tongue in cheek) ways of recognising art: "is it a boring version of something else?"

For me, Papers Please is a boring version of a computer game. If I want to worry about getting in trouble for making small mistakes I can go into work. Is it redeemed by the artistic content? I haven't played enough yet to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:35 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I heard from steam that since a bit over an hour ago left 4 dead 2 went absolutely free for the day. This is probably why their servers basically went bye bye. They supposedly plan to have it free until sale change time tomorrow. Some people o this forum like that game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:51 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Chiatroll wrote:
I heard from steam that since a bit over an hour ago left 4 dead 2 went absolutely free for the day. This is probably why their servers basically went bye bye. They supposedly plan to have it free until sale change time tomorrow. Some people o this forum like that game.

That is over now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:08 pm 
A Bad Person

Don't Starve is $1.19. I don't know if this is a pricing error, but jump on it regardless! http://store.steampowered.com/app/219740/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:14 pm 
A Bad Person

Whoops, too late. It's $5.09 now. But you should still get it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:27 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yes, you should. Don't forget to feed your pets and get the rest of your affairs in order before you start.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:00 pm 
Chip Strong

I will survive winter one of these days. I swear it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:06 pm 

I never got into the game. a mate of mine loved it, but I couldn't buy into it :(

otoh I just finally had enough time to clock Bioshock Infinity. what a forking rad game.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

BAH I NEED TO GET MY PC WORKING.

I need a new game addiction.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:10 am 
A Bad Person

You guys. I thought I was close to wrapping up all of the achievements in Skyrim. The only tough one left is defeat a legendary dragon. I didn't realize this game goes beyond level 50. I need to be 78 just to find a legendary dragon. I just hit 51. I think I spent about three hours tonight just leveling my smithing by crafting arrows so I could get it up to 80 and craft stalhrim. It was horrible. So I guess I'm going to leveling my two-handed and mage skills because I've neglected those the entire time. Holy shiitake.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:40 pm 
Chip Strong

That's what you get for hunting achievements! Mages are really easy to level past 50. I crafted enough enchanted gear to get free destruction spells so I just keep resetting destruction with that "make legendary" thing and spamming fireballs everywhere. Having mods that increase enemy spawn rates helps too. And of course there's always player.setlevel or whatever the console command is.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:11 am 
WRETCHED

Damn, I missed Don't starve. I did buy Eve for $1.97 (which comes with 1 month) so I'm trying it out. Last time I tried out Eve, it was still in Beta so yeah... it has been a while.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:13 pm 
A Bad Person

I bought Deadpool. I got it because I was into the character way back when and it's made by High Moon Studios, who made the good Transformer games. It's so dumb, but it's fun dumb. It's fairly fast-paced action with melee and guns and Deadpool never stops talking, which is pretty much what I remember of the comic books. I'm up to the third mission and I like that they're pulling out some lesser used X-Men characters, like Psylocke and Domino and Mr. Sinister.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:14 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

linanil wrote:
Damn, I missed Don't starve. I did buy Eve for $1.97 (which comes with 1 month) so I'm trying it out. Last time I tried out Eve, it was still in Beta so yeah... it has been a while.

It's a flash deal again! And the two pack is only two dollars more. Even if Brian doesn't want a game, sometimes I buy a two pack and then gift the other one.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Man, I got Steam money for Christmas and I have no idea what to get :/ I'm officially overwhelmed by choice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next