| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:19 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
I have yet to finish it. I've also made it to the fifth level (Depths 1) and never survived. I've been to Satan's room a half dozen times and no sign of Krampus. Not that I would be able to defeat him if I had seen him.

Supposedly the game gets easier the more you play it, by the way of more powerful items, and I kind of see it. The parasite that gives you split tears? Amazing.

Oh yeah, there are some seriously powerful things up the line, but you do have to play a lot for them to start appearing.

Have you found the Technology laser eye yet? That one is seriously OP.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

B_A_D wrote:
I have all kindas of coupons, feel free to make me an offer on them.

I'll swap you something for your Strategy First coupon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

solipsistnation wrote:
B_A_D wrote:
I have all kindas of coupons, feel free to make me an offer on them.

I'll swap you something for your Strategy First coupon.

Make me an offer!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Okay, I'll send a request thing this evening if I see you on...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:00 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

solipsistnation wrote:
Yeah, use the trainer (but beware! One of the links on there was flagged by my malware detector!). Those levels are, I think, basically unwinnable without cheats.

its winnable, but its super forking hard obviously. (i have not done it.)

the game is supposed to be easier with a controller than with a keyboard as well too. i havent tried it with a keyboard, but it controls really well with an xbox controller.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:23 pm 
Wonderful Kernel of Wheat

Anyone try Q.U.B.E. yet? I watched the first 2 minutes of the Giant Bomb Quick Look this morning and then immediately bought it. Unfortunately I can't post the Quick Look link - GB is blocked here at work - but it was just posted today so it should be easy to find. I look forward to trying it out tonight, but it looks like a first-person puzzle game roughly analogous to Portal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I saw that RPS liked QUBE, with some reservations, and I'll take a look at it later. I like the idea of that sort of puzzle game...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01 ... k-q-u-b-e/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:40 pm 

I gave QUBE a spin last night and played through the first 2 "worlds" or whatever they're called. It's fun, but I'll need to put in more time and see how challenging it gets. So far it's pretty simple.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:07 pm 
A Bad Person

I'll get it either on the next super sale or in some indie bundle. It looks fun, and I love the aesthetic, but I have too much on my plate right now.

And as I say this, one of the Giant Bomb guys tweeted a Saints Row the Third deal and I almost bought it. I would have too, if I had acted before the deal expired.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:20 pm 

Saints Row the Third is amazing. Definitely worth picking up at some point. They may eventually put out a bundle that includes all of the DLC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:12 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Someone bought me skyrim. My new pc parts are out in Darthmouth.

Goodbye PPK.

Also what is up with Bill's Hat in TF2? I've had 6 people friend me over steam just to ask if I'll trade it for X stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I finished Bastion yesterday. It was FANTASTIC.

Here's the soundtrack for you:

http://supergiantgames.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, it's on XBox Live, Steam (there's a demo there), and Chrome, which is a pretty neat selection of platforms.

It was maybe, oh... Six or eight hours? It's not long, and ends just slightly earlier than you think it ought to (in a good "Wait I want more" kind of way).

It is, quite seriously, one of the best games of 2011.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:28 pm 
A Bad Person

You might think today's deal of Painkiller Complete for $5 is a good deal. It's four games for $5! I want to let you know that you would be wrong. So so wrong. Just get Painkiller Black, and please do not support any other iteration. They are awful. Just awful. Painkiller Black is fantastic. The rest is garbage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am on such a dredmor kick lately... Currently stuck on levels 7,8, and 9... it seems I am getting constantly cornered and barely escaping with my life. But on any lower level things die in one hit, not sure what is up with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:59 am 
A Bad Person

I've been sinking some time into Champions Online, which results in far fewer crushing defeats. Except for when I tried to take on 20 VIPER Brickbusters at once. And when I tried to fight Mega-Destroid. Someone at an appropriate level had started the fight and I thought I'd chip in and help out. Mega-Destroid has over 1 million hit points. All the frost breath and shatter in the world was barely scraping the paint but the guy at level 28 (I'm at 24) was keeping his attention, even if he didn't seem to be doing much damage either and concentrating mostly on his own survival. Then I managed to catch Mega-Destroid's attention, and he almost literally turned around and smashed me into the concrete.

I plan on tackling Grond tonight. Yeah, that's right! I'm level 24 and I'm going to kill Grond!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:18 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Woot. I just won a contest in my game collectors group for free qube.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:46 pm 
A Bad Person

Hey Space Pirates and Zombies is this weekend's sale game! Only $3.99! It's fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:04 pm 
A Bad Person

Hey friends. Duke Nukem Forever is not a good game, and it's downright skeevy in some sections, but it's also a piece of gaming history and, until Thursday, it's only $5 on Steam. The DLC is 75% off also. You could buy it. It might entertain you, but it's definitely worth checking out if you've ever cared about the game.

Also, Star Trek Online is now free to play, and on Steam! Jump on that, get your Star Trek on. I'm rolling Klingon as soon as I can!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, eh. I saw it was DNF and kind of squinted at it and decided not to to bother. I have actual good games I want to play queued up still...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:09 pm 
A Bad Person

I want to throw out there that there are some seriously fun free-to-play games on Steam.

Spiral Knights is fun in the same vein as Legend of Zelda: Four Swords. It's four player coop dungeon crawling. Lag is kind of a problem, but it's fun and cute.

Star Trek Online and Champions Online are two major Star Trek and superhero themed MMOs. They both came out as full priced retail products, and it shows! There is a ton of content that's available for free, and they're both great if you're a dork like me who doesn't give a whit about playing with others because they're both easy to play (and enjoy!) solo.

Realm of the Mad God just came to Steam today and it is totally nuts. It's an MMO in the loosest sense in that you have a dude, other people have dudes, you can see them in the world and fight monsters with them, you can buff and heal each other (but not damage or grief), and that's it. There is no friends list, no parties, and I guess it has guilds but I have no idea how they work. It's so action heavy that it's almost a shooter. It's almost like Nethack in that your character permanently dies, and you unlock other character classes (you start with wizard) by leveling in the classes you previously unlocked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:55 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

brian wrote:
Realm of the Mad God just came to Steam today and it is totally nuts. It's an MMO in the loosest sense in that you have a dude, other people have dudes, you can see them in the world and fight monsters with them, you can buff and heal each other (but not damage or grief), and that's it. There is no friends list, no parties, and I guess it has guilds but I have no idea how they work. It's so action heavy that it's almost a shooter. It's almost like Nethack in that your character permanently dies, and you unlock other character classes (you start with wizard) by leveling in the classes you previously unlocked.

That game has been around as a website forever though.

http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 pm 
A Bad Person

Yeah but now it has cheevos.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:44 am 
A Bad Person

Bioshock 1 and 2 are $5 each for the next 11ish hours. Bioshock is absolutely worth $5. It is dark, beautiful, and entirely immersive. It's not a difficult game even if you hate FPSes (infinite respawns, generous health and ammo), so I recommend it to everyone.

Bioshock 2 is a competent sequel, but I can't recommend it, even for $5, because it's bogged down by Games for Windows Live and SecuRom DRM. Which is a forking shame, because it's a fun game (I played it on xbox), but GFWL is onerous at best and actively prevents you from playing the game at worst, and SecuRom is basically a rootkit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Agreed, worth picking up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 56  Next