| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:07 pm 
A Bad Person

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Bully is fun, but BEWARE you will NEVER get the song out of your head. is that prince of persia game still on sale?

Kind of. The Prince of Persia series was a daily deal so that has expired but all of Ubisoft's catalog is 25% off, which includes the PoP games. The newest one, Forgotten Sands, is $15 and it's probably the most expensive of the series.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:13 pm 
A Bad Person

Day 4!!!! Today is more my style of selection.

Darksiders for $10 is supposedly a very awesome Zelda clone. Don't be deceived by the grimdark! Every review I read says this game is Zelda in all but name. Dead Rising 2 for $20 is very reasonable for such a new game, and it's also supposed to be really good. Mass Effect 1 and 2 for $10 a piece? HECK YES. They're more talky 3rd person shooter than RPG but both are really awesome! Blur is Mario Kart with real cars, not a bad price at $15. Alpha Protocol was on sale during Thanksgiving, and I picked it up then, but it's also kind of janky. Still $7.50 is not a bad price if you're into spy games or action RPGs. Deathspank is kind of fun, if a little repetitive, but rather cheap and basically brand new. Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising has had some serious mixed reviews but it's only $3.

I'm definitely picking up Mass Effect 2. Maybe Darksiders. MAYBE, maybe OpFlash. MAYBE.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:30 pm 
WRETCHED

Thanks for the reviews! I think I'll get Darksiders and I think my husband might like Deathspank.

I'll ponder Mass Effect 2. I'm not a shooter type nor is my husband. If it was lightsabers... then that is something different.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:15 pm 
A Bad Person

Day 5 and it's a doozy!

Torchlight is a pretty good deal and supposedly the closest we're going to get to Diablo 3 without actually getting Diablo 3. Armed Assault 2 has a really strong online community and it's rather cheap at $10. ALL OF BORDERLANDS IS HALF OFF! I LOVE BORDERLANDS!!!!! Fallout: New Vegas for only $30, or $25 if you own Fallout 3! It may be buggy, but it's huge and brand new and really cheap! 75% off of all the Ghost Recon games doesn't sound awesome, but if you check it out, ALL of them in a bundle is only $10.

Despite wanting Fallout: New Vegas, I doubt I'll pick it up, even at $25. I'm going to insist on waiting until the game of the year edition that is no doubt on it's way in six months.

But for realz you guys. Borderlands was probably my favorite game of last year. $25 for the game and all of the good DLC (skip Moxxi's, it suxxxx) is an absolute steal. Despite somewhat clunky multiplayer matchmaking, I will absolutely play Borderlands with anyone at anytime!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:46 pm 
A Bad Person

I've been reading up on some reactions to today's deals. Apparently Saint's Row 2 is an awful port and not even remotely worth the cost. On the other hand, the Overlord complete pack is only $3 and probably completely worth that price. That's a lot of game for $3.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

brian wrote:
Day 5 and it's a doozy!

Torchlight is a pretty good deal and supposedly the closest we're going to get to Diablo 3 without actually getting Diablo 3. Armed Assault 2 has a really strong online community and it's rather cheap at $10. ALL OF BORDERLANDS IS HALF OFF! I LOVE BORDERLANDS!!!!! Fallout: New Vegas for only $30, or $25 if you own Fallout 3! It may be buggy, but it's huge and brand new and really cheap! 75% off of all the Ghost Recon games doesn't sound awesome, but if you check it out, ALL of them in a bundle is only $10.

Despite wanting Fallout: New Vegas, I doubt I'll pick it up, even at $25. I'm going to insist on waiting until the game of the year edition that is no doubt on it's way in six months.

But for realz you guys. Borderlands was probably my favorite game of last year. $25 for the game and all of the good DLC (skip Moxxi's, it suxxxx) is an absolute steal. Despite somewhat clunky multiplayer matchmaking, I will absolutely play Borderlands with anyone at anytime!

I generally loathe video games but I liked Borderlands.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Soo much savings!!!
i'm still digging the indie packs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

thoughts on battlefield?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:32 pm 
A Bad Person

B_A_D wrote:
thoughts on battlefield?

It's an arcade-y military multiplayer FPS. Don't buy it for single player. I'm sure you can squeeze $5 of fun out of it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:00 pm 
WRETCHED

We just got home and of course I had to check Steam!

We have Overlord, my husband really likes it and we also have Torchlight which is fairly good. I don't think we'll get any games from today's sale though. $25 is a bit much for a game and neither my husband nor I are FPS types so we'd pass on Borderlands.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:01 am 
WRETCHED

I looked closer at Borderlands and I guess the GOTY version is $25, but I ended up figuring I could try the regular version for $10. So I bought it. I had also bought Mass effect 1/2 from the previous day. I wanted to try to play Mass effect 1 last night but was having trouble with it and thought maybe my computer won't run it but then I realized it was a 3 year old game? So then I tried running Mass effect 2 which started installing the right supporting files so then went back and ran Mass effect 1 with no problem.

I have so many games now, I feel like a vegan in a vegan bakery. What do I choose?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:46 am 
A Bad Person

linanil wrote:
I have so many games now, I feel like a vegan in a vegan bakery. What do I choose?

This is often the worst part for me. I end up installing everything and playing them all for 5 minutes. This is going to be compounded by the fact that my desktop PC is 200 miles away and I won't be on it again until mid-January.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:32 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm disappointed in Steam, only 25% off on Civ V? Puhleaze. I love the Civ series, Civ V doesn't have great reviews, I'll need a steep cut to consider it.

Dragon Age obviously has great reviews but with the amount of games I have, $15 is probably more than I want to spend (plus wasn't that the price a few days ago?)

Batman looks pretty good and at $7.50, I told my husband he should get it so he did.

The visuals on Shank look amazing but apparently the game play is repetitive and has some issues. The reviews seems decent but not great but may be fun for $7.50. I'm not sure if we'll get it but it may go on the future list if it falls to $5 or so.

I'm a fan of city building type games and I played the original Tropico and Tropico 2. I picked up Tropico 3 previously and it is fun/amusing and if you like city building simulation games, $6.00 isn't bad.

There also seem to be other games/game packs for low prices but I think Batman will be our only buy of today.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:32 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Bah.

I spent all year being a poor miser who grumbles at sales because that means I'd actually spend something and then steam will run it's end of year sale and I'll go nuts.

The mental justifications, "85% off that game? I might play it for 5 seconds at at 85% off I still might get a good playtime enjoyment vs dollars spent ratio." however I won't have to buy PC games except for specific ones I have an interest in for quite a while.

I'm lucky that nothing in todays stuff catches my interest or isn't already owned by me. It's cheaper.

Last edited by Chiatroll on Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:34 pm 
A Bad Person

Merry Christmas! Here's day 6!

For $20, there's a lot of game time in the X Superbox, but those games have rather steep learning curves. Half off of all Splinter Cell games is good, except that Splinter Cell Conviction (the newest one) has some rather onerous DRM. $38 is probably as cheap as Civ 5 is going to get until Civ 6 is is near release. A lot of people are really into Modern Warfare 2, and it's half off. Batman: Arkham Asylum is only $7.50!!!! It's totally awesome. The Monkey Island remakes have gotten some mixed reviews (mostly from fans of the originals) but $3.75 is really cheap and they're definitely solid adventure games. Dragon Age is almost exactly like Baldur's Gate except that it's not AD&D based. If you don't own Dragon Age at all, just get the Ultimate Edition. Even if you own Dragon Age: Origins or Awakening, just get Ultimate edition. It has all the DLC, Origins, and Awakenings. Yes, it's ridic. The Red Faction games are a serious mixed bag, but they're so cheap. The best one is Guerrilla. A lot of people kind of liked Shank and it's new and it's half off. You can get all 3 Flatout games for $3.50 if you're into racing. Complete Tropico 3 is only $6, if you're into running your own banana republic. Altitude is kind of cheap but you may as well get it in the indie pack it belongs to for just $5.

Whew! Heck of a day.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:41 pm 
A Bad Person

Chiatroll wrote:
Bah.

I spent all year being a poor miser who grumbles at sales because that means I'd actually spend something and then steam will run it's end of year sale and I'll go nuts.

The mental justifications, "85% off that game? I might play it for 5 seconds at at 85% off I still might get a good playtime enjoyment vs dollars spent ratio." however I won't have to buy PC games except for specific ones I have an interest in for quite a while.

I'm lucky that nothing in todays stuff catches my interest or isn't already owned by me. It's cheaper.

I hold off on buying games all year just because I know a Steam sale is right around the corner. They're doing one just about once a quarter. Unless I'm really really really into the game, I'll wait until a big annual sale, or at least a weekend sale.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:41 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh I did a relook of Monkey Island and told my husband to look. We may buy it. It seems like something he'd like.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:46 pm 
A Bad Person

linanil wrote:
Oh I did a relook of Monkey Island and told my husband to look. We may buy it. It seems like something he'd like.

The biggest complaints about the Monkey Island remakes have come from people who have played and replayed and replayed and replayed the originals. A lot of the criticisms are nitpicks. Beyond that, they're well loved adventure games.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:50 pm 
A Bad Person

I might be insane but the X Superbox is now $13.60, which is an even better price that $20. If you're into space sims or games like EVE Online, it might be right up your alley.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:18 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

If you like old point-and-click adventure games, Emerald City Confidential is only $2.50! It's not a hidden object game designed as an adventure game, either. It takes place in Oz about 30-40 years after the events in The Wizard of Oz.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:55 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i super puffy heart love monkey island! i still get the theme song stuck in my head!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:12 pm 
A Bad Person

Hope you like leftovers, because here's day 7!

Today is all about a second chance to get some of this week's better deals. Which is fantastic because I missed out on getting the last Borderlands DLC when it was only $5 and now I can do that, and I might just pick up Battlefield: Bad Company 2. There's really nothing there I can't whole heartedly recommend, except maybe Wings of Prey and that's only because it didn't get a lot of press. The rest are proven winners. If you're even remotely interested in anything that's on sale today, snatch it up now because I get the feeling that day 14 is just going to be a recap of sales from days 8 - 13. Today could be your last chance!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:46 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah nothing for us to buy today.

I do have to say I think I'm in love with Mass Effect. I thought I wouldn't like it but I think it is a nice mix of action with story.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

Brian - I'm liking the look of the indie packs in the catalogue, do you have any opinion on them (/have you already posted about them?)
and whats tropico 3 like? it seems quite appealing.=]

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:21 pm 
A Bad Person

Alien wrote:
Brian - I'm liking the look of the indie packs in the catalogue, do you have any opinion on them (/have you already posted about them?)
and whats tropico 3 like? it seems quite appealing.=]

Where to start with the indie packs? To be honest, some of the games are real turds. But they're turds spread thin and nestled amongst some serious gold, so if you're interested in just one game in a pack, go ahead and get the whole pack because you'll get that one awesome game, and if the others are any good it's a nice bonus. Here are some particularly good games in some of those packs:

VVVVVV
Geometry Wars
Chime
Beat Hazard
Flotilla
Everyday Shooter
Uplink
Zen Bound 2
Eufloria
Darwinia
DEFCON
Lumines

Most of those are games I've played personally, some are what others have said are really awesome. Also, the Heavy Hitters pack is absolutely worth every dime unless you're like me and already own most of them. I've been neglecting it but there's a daily indie game deal too, which could be a mixed bag. AI Wars (today's deal) is supposedly a good one.

I haven't played Tropico. From what I've read it's kind of like a tropical version of Sim City. It has gotten some good reviews though!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 1333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54  Next