| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 pm 
A Bad Person

Holy shiitake, so much good news for a Monday!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23339 ... 1_5_9__205
Cart Life! You play as an immigrant food cart vendor. It got a lot of praise from Idle Thumbs, so I'm kind of excited.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224760/
FEZ! That crasshole Phil Fish is finally free of his Microsoft exclusivity contract and is bringing his largely critically acclaimed game to Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203750/
Binary Domain is on weeklong sale for only $6.24! Get it! And here are the other weeklong sale games: http://store.steampowered.com/news/10163/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Fez! Cool.

I picked up Little Inferno over the weekend and played it late at night. That was an experience. I fell asleep and woke up and the fireplace was full of spiders. I liked it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:46 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

So, big indie sale.

What's good? I have lots of stuff already...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 am 
A Bad Person

I'm almost certainly picking up Proteus, Kentucky Route Zero, and Retrovirus. I'm also thinking Afterfall Insanity, and Antichamber.

There are a ton of awesome games here, almost too many recommend, but if I had to pick a hasty 5, I'd say Hotline Miami, Strike Suit Zero, Amnesia, FTL, and Castle Crashers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:01 pm 
A Bad Person

Also, Super Hexagon. Because it's $1.01!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 pm 
WRETCHED

Wow, I'll let my husband know!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:19 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
I'm almost certainly picking up Proteus, Kentucky Route Zero, and Retrovirus. I'm also thinking Afterfall Insanity, and Antichamber.

Oh yes, you have some good times coming up, then.

Man, Kentucky Route Zero-- that is one lonely, lonely game, in almost every way it could be. I am looking forward to the continuation.

Antichamber is generally good but also frustrating and oblique. And kind of a smug smart asparagus of a game.

Quote:
There are a ton of awesome games here, almost too many recommend, but if I had to pick a hasty 5, I'd say Hotline Miami, Strike Suit Zero, Amnesia, FTL, and Castle Crashers.

...got 'em already. 8) (Well, not Strike Suit Zero, but it got pretty bad reviews... your mileage may vary, I guess. I have another friend who really likes it.)

I picked up They Bleed Pixels, Cart Life, and Monster Loves You.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 pm 
A Bad Person

Strike Suit Zero really appeals to me in the same way Colony Wars does. It's not a space dogfighting sim like Freespace 2 or TIE Fighter, but it's a solid arcade-y space dogfighter. And if you're into games like Colony Wars and Strike Suit Zero, SOL Exodus is also rather good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

TRADE WITH ME!!!!!!!

For some reason (*cough cough*) I seem to have tradeable copies of XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Bioshock (the first).

I would like someone who doesn't already have these to have them to play and love and hug or something. I would prefer to trade for other games, but I'm not that picky and mostly I just think they should go to somebody who will play them.

Make me an offer!

(I also have Left 4 Dead 2, but I figure so does everyone else at this point.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

I really want to buy some older games but I've been holding back in case they go on sale. I know that as soon as I buy the game it's going to be half off or something. Stupid Steam and your stupid awesome sales.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:58 pm 
A Bad Person

If you put it on your wishlist, Steam will (helpfully!) notify you with an email when it goes on sale.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

brian wrote:
If you put it on your wishlist, Steam will (helpfully!) notify you with an email when it goes on sale.

Oh, really? I didn't know that! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:41 pm 
A Bad Person

Sure! It doesn't seem to apply to big sales (for some reason, I wasn't notified about any of the indie games on my wish list) but it catches the daily and weekend stuff that a lot of people miss because they don't obsessively check Steam every single day at noon, and throughout the rest of the day just because.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I try to check it as often as I can but sometimes I miss a few days and I never know if they put it on sale when I haven't checked. I just need to practice patience and wait for the sale instead of just buying it. Most of them are only $20 games anyway but I know as soon as I buy it, they're going to have some crazy sale on it where it's only $7 or something.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:53 am 
WELFARIST!

Since Bioshock Infinite is coming out on Tuesday, do you think Steam will have a sale on the first two? I've played it on xbox but I'd really like it for my computer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

They might. I have a spare Bioshock 1 (from a :Infinite preorder) if you really want it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:26 am 
A Bad Person

I ended up getting all of the games I wanted. fork it. YOLO, if you will. I'm not particularly thrilled yet.

I think I'm missing something in Proteus. I mean, I got through all of it, and it's unique and interesting, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did Dear Esther, which is very similar in concept.

Afterfall Insanity is fairly impressive, as it manages to look like it has a higher budget than I suspect it actually did. Then I started playing it. I can get past the fact that voice acting is bad and it's poorly translated, but there is a distinct lack of sounds in the game. Some of the story ideas are kind of working, but the combat is awful. It's like a crappy Dead Space, except instead of compelling me to finish playing it, it's compelling me to replay Dead Space. I forking love Dead Space.

I played Antichamber before it was Antichamber, when it was Hazard: The Journey of Life. It's pretty much the same, except now there's a gun? I didn't finish Hazard, but I might finish Antichamber, but I suspect it's going to take at least a little Youtube to get through.

I got Retrovirus because it's a Descent clone, which it does pretty well, but it also suffers from a serious lack of good sound effects, and that signature Descent music. It's fairly fun, even though it has regenerating health.

I'm holding onto Kentucky Route Zero. I know that's a solid game, I just need some high budget, big studio action to cleanse my palate. So I'm playing Dishonored and it took me three hours to get through the beginning and the first real mission. It's not because I'm deliberate. It's because I'm trying not to kill minions and I'm awful at stealth.

I got Bientôt l’Été. I had to copy and paste that because I don't have a French keyboard. It sounds real weird.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:41 am 
A Bad Person

If you intend on getting Bioshock Infinite, there are plenty of good deals.

If you pre-order through Steam, you get the original Bioshock, a bunch of TF2 items, and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. http://store.steampowered.com/app/8870/

If you pre-order through Amazon, you get XCOM: Enemy Unknown, some Kindle ebook that's related to Bioshock Infinite, and $30 in credit towards 2K games. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SPZ11Q/

If you pre-order through Green Man Gaming, you get Bioshock, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, your choice of a 2K game (Bioshock 2, Civ 5, Darkness 2, Mafia 2, Spec Ops: The Line), and 15$ in store credit. http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/

Green Man has kind of the best deal if you don't already own any of those games. And they're all Steam redeemable. I pre-ordered through Amazon because I already own most of the games offered, but a $30 2K credit could come in handy later. And Amazon notified me that I had a $30 credit in one email, and a $15 credit in another email, so I don't know if they forked up and gave me $45 or what.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
I think I'm missing something in Proteus. I mean, I got through all of it, and it's unique and interesting, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did Dear Esther, which is very similar in concept.

Hm. I think Dear Esther has more explicit narrative to piece together. Proteus is pure exploration for the sake of exploration-- seeing how things react to your presence, looking for little secret things happening out in the distance. Did you see owls? The flying dragon things in the summer? Did you go to the statues at night and look up at the stars?

I guess that's one problem with the "pure exploration" model-- there aren't really any pointers to things to see. Stumbling across things is delightful and surprising, but if you don't stumble across things it can be kind of underwhelming.

But definitely, if you haven't, go to the statues at night and look up. Then look around and see if you see something unusual. If you do, follow that something.

Quote:
I'm holding onto Kentucky Route Zero. I know that's a solid game, I just need some high budget, big studio action to cleanse my palate. So I'm playing Dishonored and it took me three hours to get through the beginning and the first real mission. It's not because I'm deliberate. It's because I'm trying not to kill minions and I'm awful at stealth.

Ha. Yeah. I only managed one no-kill level (and I hacked a turret once and accidentally massacred like 30 guys on another level, so keep that in mind if you're messing around with that sort of thing). It's pretty difficult.

I don't know if I said this before, but I'd recommend disabling most of the pop-up things and floating markers-- goal pointers, as much of the HUD as you can. They're kind of a distraction, I think. You can head straight to the goal of most levels and finish them in like 5 minutes, but so much of the game is far outside that straight line that you'd miss incredible amounts of stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:17 am 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
brian wrote:

Hm. I think Dear Esther has more explicit narrative to piece together. Proteus is pure exploration for the sake of exploration-- seeing how things react to your presence, looking for little secret things happening out in the distance. Did you see owls? The flying dragon things in the summer? Did you go to the statues at night and look up at the stars?

I guess that's one problem with the "pure exploration" model-- there aren't really any pointers to things to see. Stumbling across things is delightful and surprising, but if you don't stumble across things it can be kind of underwhelming.

But definitely, if you haven't, go to the statues at night and look up. Then look around and see if you see something unusual. If you do, follow that something.

Yeah, I saw pretty much everything. I knew there were seasons but not how to trigger them, so I kind of stumbled upon that, but not until well after I'd found most the major landmarks. Then I would take a tour of them after I'd changed seasons to see if anything was different. The only one I couldn't reliably find was the totem circle, but I found it in spring and ended them game there in winter.

I followed frogs because I thought they were leading me places, and I ran from a swarm of bees, and I chased chickens. I think the game is missing some mystery to it. In Dear Esther, I felt like there was more to it than what I could see. There were places I could see but not go, but maybe I could? I never felt safe in Dear Esther. Even running from the bees in Proteus was more or less just a feigned reaction. Proteus was full of life but it wasn't alive. Dear Esther was a dead world, but the thought that something could be living there was intriguing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:08 am 
WELFARIST!

Thank you, you two! I'm going to figure out what the fizzle I'm doing tomorrow as I may be getting Infinite on PS3. I'm all over the place.

Late to the party, I know, but can I tell you that I have yet to encounter a single monster in Penumbra yet I am sufficiently creeped the hell out. I'm pretty sure this is evidence that if I were to ever find myself in the middle of a horror movie I'd be the one to crawl into the fetal position and cry until something gnaws my face off.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:22 am 
A Bad Person

Overture or Black Plague?

I finished Overture. I could not hardly start Black Plague. The monsters in Overture are mostly animal-like. The one or two monsters I saw in Black Plague were human-ish. And they made awful sounds. And the worst of it is that you can't look at them without causing your guy to freak out, so the whole fear of the unknown thing is going on. In an attempt to dispel that, I went so far as to stand under a fluorescent lit area and attract the attention of one so I could get a good look at it so I wouldn't be so freaked out by them. It did not work. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

When you're done with those, get Amnesia!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:12 am 
WELFARIST!

Overture! Now that you mention them being animal like, maybe I did semi-encounter one already. I was poking around in different areas and my guy started to breathe heavily and I got freaked out because I thought it was a monster near me so I stood there for a moment, afraid to move. Finally I turned around and nothing was there so I thought there was one behind a corner or something so I started slowly walking around the corners. Then I realized it was him breathing and thought that if I keep creeping around these corners, something is going to appear all of a sudden and freak the shiitake out of me so I started running. As I was running down a tunnel something ran across the floor but it was too quick to see and I started running backwards. Then I shut the game off because I was too scared, haha.

I did something similar to you and thought that maybe if I see the monsters I won't be as scared so I looked up pictures of them online and NOPE! I think I made it worse.

I bought Amnesia, as well! I'm waiting until I finish Overture to play it. I feel like that one may be worse because I can't fight, just run and hide.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:29 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Heh heh heh.

And Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is coming out soon. And it looks _particularly_ not vegan. Check out the front page of the site as it is right now:

http://aamfp.com/

Hmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:22 am 
WELFARIST!

The trailers don't look that bad except for maybe the screaming pigs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 57  Next