| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Did you finish it?

BI spoilers, of course:

Spoiler: show
Yeah, no kidding it's prescient. More than you'd think after it plays in the chapel right at the start of the game.

I _love_ that version of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World." I was just listening to it now, in fact. I've had that and "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" taking turns going through my head.

Here's a pretty good discussion of the themes:

http://peripsuche.blogspot.dk/2013/03/b ... 4855968611

...but I think that even beside that, they did an amazing job at coming up with a character who evolves throughout the game. I don't know about you guys, but I was pretty attached to Elizabeth by the end there, even before a couple of particular Big Reveals.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:14 am 

Also:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

brian wrote:
Mr. Shankly, I just added you! I'm KNOWN TO GIVE A GIRL AMNESEE. There's a joke behind it, it's definitely not weird. I should change it.

Sorry, I've been sick lately so I'm just now responding. When do I get to know the joke behind this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:22 pm 
A Bad Person

Oh, for a while MBM and I were trying to get through all of King of the Hill, and I had the brilliant idea to change my Steam name every time it made me really laugh. First I was "PROPANE AND PROPANE ACCESSORIES" then I was "DANG OL' GERONIMO" and there might have been more in between and then I landed on "KNOWN TO GIVE A GIRL AMNESEE" and we haven't really watched much King of the Hill since. It was from a scene where Hank's dad, the promiscuous WWII vet, was interrogating a prostitute on where he'd seen her before. She didn't recognize him, so he told her he's "been known to give a girl amnesee" to explain why.

It's way less funny when I type it all out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

I knew it sounded familiar!!! I think it's funny but "Propane and propane accessories" is probably more familiar to most people. Also looks less creepy, haha.

eta: Someone else added me today so I'm assuming they're from on here. If you are, out yourself! I want to know who you are.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:39 pm 

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 am 
WELFARIST!

Steam is recommending me Dark Fall: Lost Souls. Opinions? I like creepy games!

Also, between you two I think you may own all of Steam.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:13 pm 
A Bad Person

I don't know anything about Dark Fall. Take that as you will. I'm not an adventure game guy, but a 75 metacritic score means it might be okay?

This isn't directly Steam related but it's PC gaming related and certain to come to Steam eventually: Slender: The Arrival is on GOG. http://www.gog.com/gamecard/slender_the_arrival

When it gets dark out, I'll put on my headset and give it a whirl. Maybe record my screams.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

brian wrote:

When it gets dark out, I'll put on my headset and give it a whirl. Maybe record my screams.

PLEASE do this!

I like how that game has pretty bad rating/reviews but I think I would give it a whirl. It looks creepy enough!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:44 pm 

Time for some game crit! Assume Bioshock Infinite spoilers!

"On Bioshock Infinite"
Quote:
After the end credits of Bioshock Infinite, Booker DeWitt pushes open a door to check on his child. We hope that it’s proof that the circle is broken, and that we have our happy ending. But we don’t get to see if the child is in the cot. It’s a powerful moment that every parent will recognise. When we have a child, our life is punctuated by moments when we simply check that the child is still there. It’s a primal thing within us. Where is the baby? Is the baby still there? When our children are sleeping, too quiet, we go and check. Again and again, against our better logic. And there is always that moment, before we see them, when a million universes of horror open up ahead of us. Within that moment before we see our child safe and sound there are a million doors, or a million lighthouses, and a million versions of us and the people we might become should the unthinkable be true.

In that moment, for a parent, literally nothing else in the universe except that moment matters. That moment is one of the things that Bioshock Infinite is about.

From: http://effingarcade.tumblr.com/post/469 ... k-infinite

Also:
Quote:
If there is any game that can justify its violence, it is Bioshock Infinite. It is a story about a violent man, and about the violence within society. It’s a story about extreme beauty, and extreme ugliness. It’s also saying a lot about videogames, and as it delivers its story and themes, it does it through patterns and behavioural codes that we all understand. The violence isn’t only justified by character, story or themes. It’s justified by the language of game mechanics that the game is using.

From (my new favorite game blog): http://effingarcade.tumblr.com/post/472 ... ing-cringe

Kieron Gillen came back to games journalism to write about BI too: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04 ... -infinite/

RPS goes off on a Wizard of Oz thing: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04 ... ard-of-oz/

Bioshock Infinite and Thomas Pynchon's "Against The Day: http://tinysubversions.com/2013/04/bios ... nal-twins/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 am 

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:26 am 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
http://2.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/88/79/a38edee15e0584af565cf7231afa9a12.gif

Totally accurate. Though, I don't recall much fuss made over Bioshock when it did the same thing. Or System Shock 2, where you could heal yourself by chomping down on bags of chips and slurping up cans of soda in record time. Food consumption as healing is almost as ubiquitous in Irrational shooters as the wrench, and the the button combination 451.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 pm 
WELFARIST!

Sooooooo, I'm supposed to get cotton string in one level of Peumbra and I've searched everywhere but couldn't find it. So I looked it up and I've checked two sources and the string is in a certain place but when I go to that place, it doesn't allow me to pick up any string. I'm so confused. I need it in order to pass this level.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 pm 
A Bad Person

So I fired up Slender. I made it about 10 minutes in, and the first five were just walking in the daylight to a house in the woods. I was trying to use OBS to record it, but it doesn't look like it picked up my keyboard commands? Slender apparently needs to run as admin, and I'm not running OBS with admin privs, so maybe that's why I lost 10 minutes of me talking to myself.

So here's my safe space for discussing my one irrational fear. I am not a big fan of disembodied, human-like voices. Stuff like static-y not-normal things coming through a radio. Did you ever see that episode of the Twilight Zone where a widow was getting phone calls from her dead husband? If I get a phone call and I don't hear normal phone call noises coming from the other end, I'm already halfway to NOPE City.

Want to know why I stopped playing Penumbra: Black Plague? It's not so much the monster design, as it was the sounds the monster was making.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

That freaks me out, too!!! I'm assuming you mean when you stare at Slender man and the static starts. I guess this doesn't have much to do with video games but I get freaked out when bodies move in non-normal ways. Like this.

Also, I've given up on Penumbra for a while. I literally can't do anything in the game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have to say that playing Bioshock on the computer feels a lot more difficult than it was to play on an actual console. Maybe because I was used to using a controller to play with it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:05 pm 

It's because it's not DUMBED DOWN FOR CONSOLE!!@$%%#@

...actually, I dunno. Maybe the controller thing? Did the console version auto-aim to make up for the inaccuracies of the controller?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

No auto-aiming that I know of. It might just be because I'm not used to playing it with a mouse and keys. I also don't like being so close to my computer while I play. I was thinking of buying one of the console-type controllers for my computer but I read that they don't work too well.

Also, I figured out what happened in Penumbra and it turns out that wayyyyy back I must have passed a room without going in so now I'm good. However, I did find an area in the game where you can stand and watch the dogs try to attack you but fail by running up the stairs and jumping off the second level. Two dogs will chase you and just continually jump off the ledge, get up and run back up the stairs, jump off the ledge and keep going over and over again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm 
A Bad Person

Ha ha, I guess I own Dark Fall. I was scrolling through my library and noticed it in there. I probably got it in an indie bundle. Sorry I don't know more about it, now I feel ridiculous.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

brian wrote:
Ha ha, I guess I own Dark Fall. I was scrolling through my library and noticed it in there. I probably got it in an indie bundle. Sorry I don't know more about it, now I feel ridiculous.

That's why I asked about it in this thread, hahahaha. But I guess when you own most of Steam, you don't really remember every game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

I CANNOT kill these dogs! I have tried everything and the mustards will not die.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:00 pm 
WRETCHED

Did anyone here ever play DAoC? Not that this is a DAoC2 but the creator of DAoC is funding a PVP only online game partially through kickstarter with some similar themes as DAoC. The game is due out in a couple years but interesting that kickstarter is being used this way. Apparently there are other games on kickstarter as well.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/138 ... -unchained

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

Penumbra has all sorts of weird glitches in it. I exploded 3 tanks on a dog and instead of dying he got stuck in the fence while on his side and wouldn't stop furiously kicking (as if he were running). I went over and hit him with pickaxe about a million times but he still kept kicking. It was creepy and writing this makes me feel like a crasshole.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 am 
A Bad Person

linanil wrote:
Did anyone here ever play DAoC? Not that this is a DAoC2 but the creator of DAoC is funding a PVP only online game partially through kickstarter with some similar themes as DAoC. The game is due out in a couple years but interesting that kickstarter is being used this way. Apparently there are other games on kickstarter as well.

I was never into DAOC, but a friend of mine was so I'm forwarding this to her because she might be interested. She loved DAOC. And while $2 mil is a high goal, and they appear certain to hit it, it seems like an awfully low number for an MMORPG to get off the ground. Since it doesn't seem to be in much danger of missing the goal, I'd probably wait and see.

One of my friends blasted through Darksiders and Darksiders 2, which is compelling me to finish Darksiders 2. It's not that it's a bad game or that it's a chore to get through, but it's a little more looty and a little more grindy than Darksiders. Darksiders, as you well know, is the best Zelda game ever made.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:50 pm 
WRETCHED

brian wrote:
linanil wrote:

I was never into DAOC, but a friend of mine was so I'm forwarding this to her because she might be interested. She loved DAOC. And while $2 mil is a high goal, and they appear certain to hit it, it seems like an awfully low number for an MMORPG to get off the ground. Since it doesn't seem to be in much danger of missing the goal, I'd probably wait and see.

Apparently, Mark Jacobs (the guy who created DAoC) is throwing in $2 million of his own dollars and has another backer with $1 million. They also said there were some issues with Europeans not being able to use Amazon payments? So they expect some more money through Paypal later on. From what I've read, the budget is somewhere between $5 million to $10 million.

Reply to topic  [ 1332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 54  Next