| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Girls
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:43 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Can this be watched anywhere online? I am kind of curious about this show but don't have HBO.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:36 pm 
One Trick Dick

Pilot episode is/was on youtube...

edit: Still there, just search for "Girls"

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm so surprised you guys are having such negative impressions! I finally got to watch the first few episodes last night and I loved it.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:24 pm 
Chard Martyr

For some reason even though I liked the first ep. I hated the characters so much that I couldn't bring myself to watch anymore. I might catch up eventually.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm def still a fan of this show after watching 4 episodes. But I got my two girlfriends to watch an episode with me and they were not into it at all. Said it made them uncomfortable and they had to look away. So I guess it is hit or miss for people.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:14 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i'm on i think the fourth episode now and i really get a kick out of it, but i feel really self-conscious about it... like i'm not supposed to admit that i like it or it makes me a bad woman or something.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:27 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I really like it alot, even though Hannah is my least favorite character. There are alot of funny moments as well as uncomfortable ones. I really love Hanah's roommates boyfriend alot. I look forward to seeing what happens with him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

still loving the show.

thought i'd share this because i found it adorable:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/06/14/lena- ... lon-crush/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am 

I still haven't seen last weeks episode, but I think it gets better every week.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I like this show, but I hate pretty much all the characters. I guess I'm hoping they're intentionally unlikeable. Actually, I think the person I like most is Adam- he's completely bizarre, but at least he's honest.

The last two episodes though were especially unbelievable- with the "best friends" (they said it in every episode!) splitting up, and Jessa's new relationship? No, I don't think that would happen ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:59 am 

Hannah is the most annoying one on the show, I just wonder if Lena tries to make her character that way, she was annoying in Tiny Furniture too!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:27 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I like your Mama avatar!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:11 am 

thanks! Mama's Family and The Carol Burnett Show crack me up, and I actually sort of look like Vicki Lawrence!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:11 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I feel like Hannah is meant to be annoying, and I definitely find her to be and while there are things I dislike, I do enjoy watching the show, especially when I caught up by watching 4-10 in a row. I actually really liked Adam in the latest episode, he was right about how Hannah treats him.

Jessa and I.T-Crowd-guy felt super unrealistic but I think it was sweet that Jessa's cousin went home with What's-Her-Name's Ex boyfriend's friend and he treated her well in bed. And it seems I only remember the names of Hannah and Adam and Jessa!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:31 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Ray! I don't see Ray being into Shoshanna. She's weird (in a good way), but he's so critical of what people are into, and I don't see him being seduced by her kickboxing class soliloquy. The finale just felt like they were throwing a bunch of big but unbelievable storylines in there.

I wish the season were longer though! I still like it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

this show is definitely growing more and more on me. i watched quite a few episodes yesterday in a row, and it kept me more than entertained.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:27 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just watched all 10 episodes over the weekend and I LOVED it. I don't think the characters are supposed to be likeable, but I love them for that. People in the real world are flawed, selfish and make peas poor decisions a lot and I think this show captures that in a way. Or course it's going to be exaggerated, it's meant to be entertaining. I also think it's chock-full of excellent one liners.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I just came in here looking for a thread on this, and am surprised there aren't more comments on it. After hearing a lot of hullabaloo, I just watched most of the first season (still have the final two episodes). I'm fascinated by how polarizing this show is and the extreme reactions on either side. I am loving it. I think the writing is rapid fire fantastic and the acting is too. Zosia Mamet and Jemima Kirke are especially great. And Dunham's mad talented as a director, on top of acting and writing. I'm really curious about the strong reactions about hating this as women (Desdemona? Isa?), and would love to hear more about that. The show has gotten raked through the muck about issues of class, diversity, and more. But it seems like it's going for a very real depiction of a certain group of privileged young women, and honestly, doing it very well. I teach at a small liberal arts college, and I completely recognize my recently graduated students in this world. I actually think it's far less problematic than Sex and the City, and way smarter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:05 pm 

It might be a real depiction of a certain group of young privileged women, but I don't care to see them depicted. I'd love for there someday to be a show about awesome women. It's not really a critique of the Brooklyn gentrification culture, and if it is, it doesn't matter because it seems like young women in the real world are actually inspired by these characters. So, whatever, I just am disappointed that there are so few shows about woman and when there are they depict the super dumb ones. But it's entertaining and well acted, sure.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

I totally agree with that, isa.

Personally, I just cant /won't watch a show about awful people except game of thrones. Maybe there should be a show about arya stark after she graduates from college.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:41 pm 

Thanks Isa and IJDI. I really appreciate your thoughts. Not wanting to see these lives depicted totally makes sense. And I totally want to see a show about awesome women! Or awesome people at all. It seems like all the way back to the Greeks (sorry, I'm a theatre professor), most of our pop culture depictions are of unlikeable people (Oedipus Rex, Tartuffe, Stanley Kowalski, Seinfeld, everyone on Cheers, everyone on Sex and the City, everyone on The Office). So I'm piqued by why so many people don't like this show because the characters are "unlikeable." Is there something about young women being unlikeable that is particularly aggravating or disturbing? Is it privileged young women? Is that threatening or scary or unflattering? What I like about the show is that I see the young women, whom I find compelling in their bumbling through insecurities and complications, dealing--even in an extreme way--with very real issues that provoke many young women of a certain milieu as they leave college. And I think the writing, and Dunham, are super smart.

But that's just me. To each her own, and just not liking something is a perfectly good reason not to tune in. I await a world where our media is awash with depictions of smart, sassy, independent people. It seems like, as a culture, as long as we've existed we prefer to watch extreme representations--of the high class who fall (the definition of tragedy) or those of low stations who ascend (the definition of comedy).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:54 pm 

Further thoughts. (I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm more just curious about the cultural conversation this show is raising):

http://maisonneuve.org/blog/2012/04/23/ ... bos-girls/
and
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/when-is-a-tv ... -backlash/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:41 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i think i might have liked this show if it had come out when i was in college, but now i'm more annoyed by most of these people than entertained by them. maybe i went into it expecting too much. whatever, i'm just a crotchety old coot who hates cool people, and i'm clearly not the target audience. i want a show about cranky old biddies rolling their eyes at these kids today. Clairee and Ouiser Take the L to the G.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:53 pm 
Chard Martyr

haha yeah, that's definitely part of it for me, too. i want a show about people who are like "i'm 38! don't make me go to brooklyn!"
Also, to be fair, I only watched the first episode and the only character I liked or could even remotely relate to was the mom. I'm not a critic and I've never studied any sort of literature or film critique or anything like that, so I don't pay much attention to writing or acting unless it's so unbelievably good or bad that it's noticeable. I guess I'm kind of neanderthal-like with this sort of stuff - i like what i like and i don't like what i don't like and i don't spend too much time worrying about why. In general though, I think I just prefer shows that are a lot further removed from reality.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:08 pm 

I guess I disagree that everyone in Seinfeld and Cheers was unlikable. There's a difference between being imperfect and unlikeable. So I don't agree with the premise that Girls is just following some sort of natural television trajectory. And none of those words (scary, threatening, unflattering) ring true for me so I guess I don't even think that we're having the same "cultural conversation." I didn't even say that I don't watch the show because I don't like it, in fact, I said that it was good (entertaining and well-acted). And obviously I DID watch it. But I think that is a good example of why I don't like Girls. Because when you tell people you don't like Girls, they assume you're saying a bunch of other stuff. Really important stuff. G-train stuff. Legwarmers and sandals stuff.

I'm telling you, the show is harmful to young braincells. It's basically Halloween 3. I bet if you wore an ironic skullcap while watching, your gray matter would ooze out of your eye sockets.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next