| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE AVENGERS!!
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

elouise wrote:
Also, believe it or not
Spoiler: show
Killing Agent Coulson was not actually Joss's idea: http://io9.com/5909088/joss-whedon-expl ... e-avengers

Interesting. I wonder if they had planned offing him since Marvel decided to do this thing 5 years ago. I understand why they did it, though. The Avengers needed to assemble! Before Coulson died, they were all at each others throats and couldn't get anything done. But Coulson dying gave them the push they needed to work together as a team and...well...avenge Coulson! That's why Fury stole the Captain America cards from Coulson's locker and said he died with them in his pocket and with a dream. The dream being the Avengers.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i thought loki's spear was making them angry.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:57 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

nickvicious wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if they had planned offing him since Marvel decided to do this thing 5 years ago. I understand why they did it, though. The Avengers needed to assemble! Before Coulson died, they were all at each others throats and couldn't get anything done. But Coulson dying gave them the push they needed to work together as a team and...well...avenge Coulson! That's why Fury stole the Captain America cards from Coulson's locker and said he died with them in his pocket and with a dream. The dream being the Avengers.

Well yeah I think it's pretty obvious why they killed him. Coulson even said it as he was dying, something to the effect of "It never would have worked if they didn't have a reason to..." Honestly, I think it was almost a little too obvious, like you could see the seams too easily - his death was so clearly manufactured to serve that purpose and then they all came together so easily after that, it took me out of the story just a tiny bit.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:38 pm 
Hip Goiter

Haha this whole thread is in spoiler tags now! It seems just a tad silly. People should stop reading and go to the theatre if they haven't seen this yet!

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RandiJM wrote:
Haha this whole thread is in spoiler tags now! It seems just a tad silly. People should stop reading and go to the theatre if they haven't seen this yet!

i suggested that earlier, but got yelled at. (i can't find it now, but it definitely happened)

elouise wrote:
Honestly, I think it was almost a little too obvious, like you could see the seams too easily - his death was so clearly manufactured to serve that purpose and then they all came together so easily after that, it took me out of the story just a tiny bit.

agreed.
they were already rounded up. they're superheroes, the'll band together to save the earth whether or not a beloved agent died.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:36 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Awesome movie. I was shocked by how much I enjoyed it. I was almost able to turn my film major off (something I haven't been able to do since I quit film school).

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Loved! I laughed almost every time Iron Man opened his mouth. And Mark Ruffalo was such a good Dr. Banner

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:34 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Brian and I went and saw it at the drive-in. As soon as it was over I turned to him and said, "So did you notice that Joss totally ripped off season five of Buffy for this movie?!"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

My husband and I saw it on Tuesday--absolutely loved it. I'll probably go see it again this coming weekend, since I missed some dialogue. That, and because I HAD to go to the bathroom I missed
Captain America's boxing scene.

Beef, nature's #1 source of moisture.--Limone

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

supercarrot wrote:
RandiJM wrote:

i suggested that earlier, but got yelled at. (i can't find it now, but it definitely happened)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19597&start=50
They explain why spoiler tags are still needed. I don't know about anyone else but I don't always have the ability to run off and see a movie as soon as it opens, especially when it comes to movies such as The Avengers, when it's sold out a lot.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:33 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Mr. Shankly wrote:
supercarrot wrote:
RandiJM wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19597&start=50
They explain why spoiler tags are still needed. I don't know about anyone else but I don't always have the ability to run off and see a movie as soon as it opens, especially when it comes to movies such as The Avengers, when it's sold out a lot.

But to be fair, why are you in a thread discussing a movie that you haven't seen? I guess you could be talking about previews or asking questions, but most people talking have seen it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:00 am 
Saggy Butt

RandiJM wrote:
Spoilering one thing AND being very vague about it just in case your curiosity gets the better of you
One thing, I'm very sad about my favorite character dying

Oh yes, I agree.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:15 am 
Saggy Butt

nickvicious wrote:
Agent Coulson! Why, Joss? Why?? He was a fan favorite throughout the last 5 films and there was even talk that they might do just a S.H.I.E.L.D. film with Coulson at the helm. He also just made his first appearance in the Marvel comics not long ago. THAT is how much the fans love Coulson. *sigh*

I know! But I didn't know all that other stuff, but it was love at first movie for me. :(

nickvicious wrote:
And if anyone goes make sure you stay till the VERY end credits. There are 2 (two) hidden scenes. One during and one after.

We only got one, my sister and I sat to the bitter end, the cinema staff were standing at the back chatting holding rubbish bags and vacumn cleaners. Still we sat. We found out after that only the US got the second scene. :(
Shawarma is apparently known as doner kebab here in Oz. I used to love those! I need to find a recipe for a vegan one now so I can eat it while watching the movie again when it comes out on DVD.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:25 am 

nickvicious wrote:
elouise wrote:
Also, believe it or not
Killing Agent Coulson was not actually Joss's idea: http://io9.com/5909088/joss-whedon-expl ... e-avengers

I'm surprised it WASN'T Joss' idea, because if you know anything about Joss you know his favorite thing to do is rip out people's hearts and stomp all over them while laughing manically.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:21 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

mrsbadmouth wrote:

I'm surprised it WASN'T Joss' idea, because if you know anything about Joss you know his favorite thing to do is rip out people's hearts and stomp all over them while laughing manically.

Yeah, but Joss is very much aware of his label as The Guy Who Kills All Your Favorite Characters, and I would have been surprised to see him play into that so directly with Avengers, especially since there was so much skepticism about him making the movie too "Whedony." So I'm actually not surprised that it wasn't Joss's idea. Also, Joss's deaths are never that obvious.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:39 pm 

Yeah, that's true. Very rarely does the soon-to-be-dead person walk and say, "Sup, bad guy?"

I didn't think it was Whedony at all. I don't think it was Whedony enough! Was there any major Whedon alum in there for a cameo?

Also, this is why I love Joss and want him to direct all of the action movies:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/10/t ... ero-squad/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:03 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Was there any major Whedon alum in there for a cameo?

I posted this earlier but you may have missed it amidst the sea of spoilers: Alexis Denisof plays the guy, credited as "The Other," who Loki reports to throughout the movie and who is seen talking to
Thanos
at the end. He's heavily disguised but it's him! Also Enver has a little cameo as a cop.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:39 pm 

Ahhh, okay! The only people I recognized outside of the main cast was Cobie Smulders, Harry Dean Stanton (the old guy who finds Bruce), and obviously Stan Lee.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

darksideknitter wrote:
nickvicious wrote:
Agent Coulson! Why, Joss? Why?? He was a fan favorite throughout the last 5 films and there was even talk that they might do just a S.H.I.E.L.D. film with Coulson at the helm. He also just made his first appearance in the Marvel comics not long ago. THAT is how much the fans love Coulson. *sigh*

I know! But I didn't know all that other stuff, but it was love at first movie for me. :(

nickvicious wrote:
And if anyone goes make sure you stay till the VERY end credits. There are 2 (two) hidden scenes. One during and one after.

We only got one, my sister and I sat to the bitter end, the cinema staff were standing at the back chatting holding rubbish bags and vacumn cleaners. Still we sat. We found out after that only the US got the second scene. :(
Shawarma is apparently known as doner kebab here in Oz. I used to love those! I need to find a recipe for a vegan one now so I can eat it while watching the movie again when it comes out on DVD.

I think shawarma was is Arabic, doner kebab is Turkish and gyro is Greek but that they are all basically the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I LOVED this. I really want to go again, but I saw it in IMAX 3D with Premiere seats and I just don't know if normal viewing can hold up to the awesomeness.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:05 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

This is Charlie Brooker's review, which made me peas myself as much as, if not more than, the film itself.

I love how a third of said "review" is actually describing his horrific cinematic experience, and is nothing to do with the film.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/20/marvel-avengers-assemble-3d-experience

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:36 pm 

Vez wrote:
This is Charlie Brooker's review, which made me peas myself as much as, if not more than, the film itself.

I love how a third of said "review" is actually describing his horrific cinematic experience, and is nothing to do with the film.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/20/marvel-avengers-assemble-3d-experience

Ha! That made me laugh because Brian and I went to the drive-in to see it, which you think would be free of most theater hassles. But apparently they had recently changed their 'cash only' policy, so of course the card machine broke for the car in front of us, and we couldn't move to another window because every lane was full. Luckily, we could see the screen from our car so we didn't miss the previews. And then a truck in front of us had a huge 'door open' light on their back window that stayed on for a full minute after the door closed so when the lady went to the bathroom I had to cover the bottom half of the screen with my hand.

But I brought my own dinner, kicked off my shoes, took off my bra, and no one made fun of me for my pillow and blanket to it balanced out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:02 pm 
ugh

Oh, if we're sharing theater experiences, I've got a good one. Boyfriend and I went to see the Ultimate Marvel Avengers IMAX 3D Experience Party or whatever the fork it's called. A couple people behind us were talking every few minutes throughout the first hour or so of the movie, not so loudly that I could hear them during the loud action-y parts, but definitely loud enough to hear during the quieter parts. BF quietly asked them could they stop talking, please, very politely a couple times, and the last time was a less polite, seriously, what would it take for them to stop talking? Their response was to SHHH at him really loudly so he went to find someone who worked there.

The timid-sounding teenage employee who followed him back in warned them that they'd please need to stop talking, please, or he would have to ask them to leave the theater, and left. As soon as he was gone they started talking more loudly and kicked my BF's seat a lot. He went to find someone again, who told the chatty folks it was time to go, and they, uh, didn't take it very well. During this exchange there was more chair-kicking, yelling about having to pay for tickets, hurling expletives at us, throwing 3D glasses at us, and BF getting thumped in the back of the head with something hard.

Meanwhile, I didn't dare look behind me and pretended I was in a different theater, but couldn't help noticing that the pair who got kicked out were at least in their 50s (it was dark), and one was definitely using a cane. Kids Full grown adults these days! We're guessing the cane was the mystery object that they hit him with.

PS: We were a little bit afraid of being ambushed when we left the theater but nothing happened. Yay!
PPS: The people who got kicked out were there with some other friends or family (they were talking and sharing food before the movie started), but none of them left with them or even gave us a dirty look at the end. Maybe this happens often?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Kelvia wrote:
nickvicious wrote:

Nooooooo we only saw the first one, PM me what I missed?

We watched it last night & loved it. So many unexpected funny moments, like the first scene with Black Widow, in the midst of the action. I thought the pacing was good. It definitely didn't feel like 2.5 hours.

AHHHHHHH! I only saw the first one too, as I was with a couple of people and didn't think there'd be more:( Now I wonder what I missed. I loved the movie though, Robert Downey Jr. rocks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Things that make my day -

http://www.slashfilm.com/joss-whedon-signed-the-avengers-2/

Joss Whedon will be writing and directing Avengers 2!

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next