| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Gotye is . . .
Who? 24%  24%  [ 25 ]
Overrated 15%  15%  [ 16 ]
Creepy 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
Ok, I guess 20%  20%  [ 21 ]
Brilliant 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
A one-hit wonder 24%  24%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 106
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:12 pm 
So Totally Yiffy
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:09 am
Posts: 34
Normally I don't listen to stuff they play on the radio. As of late, Gotye and Adele are my two exceptions.
Sure, people will forget him, but that's maybe just because his style/person/music is too quirky.

_________________
פשוט מכורה לקפה


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:54 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:14 pm
Posts: 1231
Location: Denver, CO
Adam Crisis wrote:
goatse's brother?

Ha, I always refer to him as Goatse! Because that's what his name looks like, and also because his music sounds like something that came out of a butthole. (Hey-o!)


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:41 pm 
Saggy Butt
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:45 pm
Posts: 285
Location: Oregon
bunniee wrote:
I don't find him creepy but don't get what all the fuss is about. Somebody I Used To Know is a decent pop song, but I think it needs a more powerful singer. I actually preferred the version performed on Glee.

ONLY reason I watched Glee that night was to see Matt Bomer sing, and I liked their version of the song.

I like the song enough, not sure if I'd like anything else of his. The song, or at least the Kimbra's part, just reminds me too much of my brother, though. That's pretty much the way he treats women.

I liked Kimbra more, I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:06 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Portland
I like the one song, haven't listened to anything else by him.

_________________
The Noochy Noodle, my personal obsession with discovering the worlds greatest vegan mac and cheeze


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
I really disliked that song at first, but it's kind of grown on me. No desire to check out anything else of his, though.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:30 am 
Saggy Butt
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:45 pm
Posts: 285
Location: Oregon
He's kind of trashing the Glee cover, which made him money, because the songs always seem to sell more after being on that show. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/glee-gotye-somebody-that-i-used-know-314891

Wally's kind of a creepier name than Gotye when you picture him. No offence to anyone else named Wally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 1979
EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
just mumbles wrote:
USED t'KNOW!

YOU TREAT ME LIKE A STRANGER ANDITFEELSSOWRONG


I'm cracking up so badly!

He's all over the media here because he's originally Belgian. I'm pretty sick of it.

_________________
When it comes to, you know, modern technology, think of me somewhere in the Middle Ages, training my hedgehog friends to knit socks. ~Phoenix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:02 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 3750
Location: Brighton, England.
I wish I hadn't You Tubed him & listened to one of his songs. Barf.

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton.

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:07 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 922
Location: Hellbourne, VIC
I'm so perplexed by all of this. Didn't his album come out years ago? I remember my housemate listening to it nonstop in probably 06/07? Why is he now suddenly all famous?

(I don't really care about the answers to any of these questions. I've resigned myself to being a curmudgeonly pop music disliker, with minimal exceptions).

_________________
If I chew on garlic that's been in a vagina, isn't that exploiting SOMEONE? - coldandsleepy


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm
Posts: 1414
Location: NJ -> Bristol UK
Liz_D wrote:
He's kind of trashing the Glee cover, which made him money, because the songs always seem to sell more after being on that show. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/glee-gotye-somebody-that-i-used-know-314891

"They did such a faithful arrangement of the instrumentals but the vocals were that pop Glee style"

umm... then what did he expect from a Glee cover?



gunk wrote:
I'm so perplexed by all of this. Didn't his album come out years ago? I remember my housemate listening to it nonstop in probably 06/07? Why is he now suddenly all famous?

the album that this song is on came out last year (probably this year in some countries). he released two other albums before the most recent one.
and according to wikipedia, he had hit singles in Australia and Belgium before this one. this is his international breakthrough i guess.

_________________
vegan cheese bigamy is not allowed. - LisaPunk

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:54 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am
Posts: 1075
Location: Melbourne, Australia
. . . A dude who independently releases music he makes in his bedroom and has an appropriate amount of disdain for Glee.

_________________
'forking. bogan as forking fork' - Joshua
'I can puke and be naked anywhere I want' - Fee


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:08 am 
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 1332
Location: Denver
elouise wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:
goatse's brother?

Ha, I always refer to him as Goatse! Because that's what his name looks like, and also because his music sounds like something that came out of a butthole. (Hey-o!)



_________________
my roommate spilled tuna juice on the bathroom floor while he was eating on the toilet! should i bleach the floor or just tear up the tile? - acr
Vegan Coloradical


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:14 am 
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 2909
I can't believe I didn't see the Gotye-Goatse thing until now.

I'm...I'm pretty disappointed in myself.

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm
Posts: 1414
Location: NJ -> Bristol UK
just mumbles wrote:
I can't believe I didn't see the Gotye-Goatse thing until now.

I'm...I'm pretty disappointed in myself.

as we all are.

_________________
vegan cheese bigamy is not allowed. - LisaPunk

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:24 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:14 pm
Posts: 1231
Location: Denver, CO
abbierae wrote:
elouise wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:
goatse's brother?

Ha, I always refer to him as Goatse! Because that's what his name looks like, and also because his music sounds like something that came out of a butthole. (Hey-o!)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Loid52W0d4

<3<3<3


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3828
Location: Canberra, Australia
gunk wrote:
I'm so perplexed by all of this. Didn't his album come out years ago? I remember my housemate listening to it nonstop in probably 06/07? Why is he now suddenly all famous?

(I don't really care about the answers to any of these questions. I've resigned myself to being a curmudgeonly pop music disliker, with minimal exceptions).


Yeah, Heart's A Mess was huge here a few years ago. Like, top 10 in the stupid hottest 100 in '06 or '07 or something. So I don't get why the media here is acting like he's come from nowhere too. Australian 'music fans' are fickle as shiitake, I guess.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:26 am 
Inflexitarian
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 am
Posts: 748
Location: Emerald City, Oz
Erinnerung wrote:
gunk wrote:
I'm so perplexed by all of this. Didn't his album come out years ago? I remember my housemate listening to it nonstop in probably 06/07? Why is he now suddenly all famous?

(I don't really care about the answers to any of these questions. I've resigned myself to being a curmudgeonly pop music disliker, with minimal exceptions).


Yeah, Heart's A Mess was huge here a few years ago. Like, top 10 in the stupid hottest 100 in '06 or '07 or something. So I don't get why the media here is acting like he's come from nowhere too. Australian 'music fans' are fickle as shiitake, I guess.

Yes. Let's be clear about this: he is already definitely not a one-hit-wonder. He might yet prove to be a three-hit-wonder. His previous album went platinum in Australia and he's been nominated for numerous ARIA awards, as well as previously having the attention in Belgium as mentioned. None of which means you're obliged to like his music, obviously. I love Learnalilgivinanlovin but only slightly like his other stuff.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:59 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6418
Location: Norristown, PA
Mumbles, this is for you: http://www.hulu.com/watch/350677/saturd ... s-p1-sr-i2

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:06 pm 
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 2909
USED t' KNOW!

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:16 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 6754
Location: Portland, OR
How do you pronounce his name? I also am a Goatse-seer, but I also see Gautier, said in a French 'Cartier' way.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:56 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 pm
Posts: 446
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
choirqueer wrote:
My friend got me two of his albums ("Making Mirrors" and "Like Drawing Blood") and I absolutely love them both. I don't listen to the radio or watch TV, so I had no idea he had gotten so popular until Pentatonix covered "Somebody That I Used To Know".


I think it's really cool that an indie artist has gotten this popular. I really like that he has a style that's his own and doesn't sound like it came out of a can like a lot of the other pop music out there. I can see how it's not the kind of sound that everyone will easily appreciate, which is why I was so surprised to find out he'd suddenly become so popular! But personally, I really like his music.

I love this. As for the original… it's enjoyable, but slightly unnerving. Really, I just agree with the sentiment that he sounds like Peter Gabriel.

_________________
My username is silly, just call me Julie or whatever you think is best.
http://vasterthanempires.wordpress.com/
http://andpitchforks.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:35 pm 
Inflexitarian
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 am
Posts: 748
Location: Emerald City, Oz
Mars wrote:
I also see Gautier, said in a French 'Cartier' way.

That's it, yes.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am
Posts: 1295
Location: sunshine coast, australia
i love him! he IS a wally. heart's a mess gets me every time and i loooove the film clip. but hey, i'm australian and i've been listening to him for years. i guess if my whole country suddenly liked him because of that auto-tuned glee shiitake i would maybe not like him as much.

and catepillar said it all for me:
Quote:
. . . A dude who independently releases music he makes in his bedroom and has an appropriate amount of disdain for Glee.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:28 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am
Posts: 2523
I thought that song was by Sting for so long. I kept asking why Sting was on the radio again and then realised it was this guy about 2 days ago. I am not down with the kids, clearly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gotye is . . .
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:01 pm
Posts: 2213
Location: Maryland
I hadn't even heard of this song until I saw the clip from the Glee episode. Then I started to hate him because I couldn't sleep one night and "USED t'KNOW!!" kept running through my head on repeat.

_________________
"Noooo! Karyn, you have to stop posting old Jensen pics. He looks way too smooth in those pics, like if I touch his face it'll feel like silk or bosoms or something."-mixmaster_mo
It's Raining Kale


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mars and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer