| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mindy Project
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:14 pm 
Hip Goiter

Two more days until the premiere!!! I CANNOT wait. I freaking adore this show. I think it had one of the best first seasons for a sitcom in a long time. I'm totally invested and obsessed. That finale was perfection. "It was a boy the whole time!" "It??" And "I look fine, and I smell legit" is definitely one of the best lines ever. If you can't tell, I'm really excited.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:23 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

It's already up on hulu if you want to watch it!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:38 pm 
Hip Goiter

I know but I gotta watch it live! And after New Girl! But thanks :)

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:39 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I liked it! I'm glad this show is back. Mindy looks super cute with short hair. I don't have a lady boner for James Franco like so many people seem to, but he was serviceable. Though I feel like the "where are you going to work" thing is a little silly, since when the show started there were four doctors in the practice anyway.

I love that Danny's "sensual journal" was just angry rants and football plays.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm going to have some patience with this season. I like both Mindy's hair (and am now contemplating it but not really) and James Franco (who I still adore) was A-OK in my book. Over the Chris-Chloe thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:27 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I like James Franco but so far i'm not crazy about his character. And I think we all knew that Casey was going to be ushered out of the picture (because you can't have a show about a woman obsessed with romance movies if she doesn't go on a date every three episodes) but christ, I practically expected a giant broom to come out and sweep him away at the wedding.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:46 pm 
Hip Goiter

I thought Danny was stellar in this episode (as of course Tamara was, because omg, I now love her. "Nah, I wanna say Glob"). Of course he wrote about airport security and sports, and then was watching Ken Burns! I adore him. But I also adore Casey! He's so fun and goofy and sweet. And I love how he knew that wedding wasn't right for Mindy. How are they going to get rid of him? They made him too likable if he's not supposed to stay! I<3333.

My favorite perfect moment had to be when Mindy was reaching for her phone during the proposal 'but I need to Vine...people deserve to see!' It was spot on.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:06 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

RandiJM wrote:
(as of course Tamara was, because omg, I now love her. "Nah, I wanna say Glob").

Ha, yes, love her! And I loved Danny as always.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:23 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Danny was so great. "Who's gonna explain Colbert to me? I mean... is he a real guy?" Also- "What did you do? Sass a voodoo princess? Try to get your groove back with some street kid?"

I also agree that getting Casey out of the picture was way too quick and easy. I loved it overall though! I don't really have an opinion on James Franco in general, but he was good, I thought.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:53 pm 
Semen Strong

I like this show because I like her (and Danny). I think the writing is often really lazy, and resorts to fat jokes a bit too often (Like when Casey proposed to her and said based on her body type alone he thought she'd be a fling - UGH!), and the rest of the cast is a mixed bag from fine with moments of funny (Tamra, Jeremy Reed) to really annoying (the old nurse, Morgan). Mindy is so likeable - I kind of wish she had a better vehicle.

And there was zero chemistry with Casey in the season opener, which made me a bit sad. I wish he had been the same guy from last season and just said "Hey, Haiti isn't right for you. I think you're great, but I belong there and you belong here, so let's call the whole thing off." I also really like the idea that she is drawn to guys who seem really nice at the start and then turn out to be raving jerks, so it would have been nice to stay in that pattern for a bit until the inevitable flip to her liking Danny, the guy who starts off as a jerk but turns out to be really nice. Also, Danny and Chloe have no chemistry and the first episode made me feel bad for her bc at least she is trying to be there, though I loved Mindy's analysis about how f'd up it was to show up at the office to shame him, because she doesn't respect his boundaries.

I liked this TWOP proposal to improve the show: http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/sh ... -the-show/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RandiJM wrote:
But I also adore Casey! He's so fun and goofy and sweet. And I love how he knew that wedding wasn't right for Mindy. How are they going to get rid of him? They made him too likable if he's not supposed to stay! I<3333.

I didn't give a crepe about casey until they were in the tent and he accidentally flossed some tooth gunk on her and said "oh no you were caught in the floss fire"

puns cut right to my cold shriveled heart.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
I like this show because I like her (and Danny). I think the writing is often really lazy, and resorts to fat jokes a bit too often...

Yes! Too many of the characters feel like bad-rom-com 'zany' and 'wacky' to me, not like feasible humans with inner lives. I watch for Mindy and Danny, plus Mindy's clothes.

I agree with most of the TWOP article, but I'm fine with NYC and hipness, and completely disagree with this statement: i]"There are times when Mindy is dressed outright sexy, and we whole-heartedly approve of that, and then there are other times when she looks business appropriate. In between that, her wardrobe is filled with far too many silly sweaters with little hearts or stars on them. She's a grown professional woman who can seemingly afford to shop in decent places, so let her dress like it. And there's no need for her to be constantly covered in 18 layers of clothing."[[/i]

Grown professional women can choose their own clothes, and she's entitled to all the layers she wants.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:15 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rebekah - good point on the clothing, are professional women not allowed to dress casually? Ag!

jdfunks wrote:
Over the Chris-Chloe thing.

Yes!

I'm happy this show is back :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:43 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I kind of assumed they were trying to make Casey unlikable in the premiere so we would get ready for his disappearance--the body type comment stuck with me. If anyone said anything negative about my body type while proposing to me I would never speak to them again. Or really if anyone I was dating said anything like that at any time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:49 am 
***LIES!!!***

The thing I kind of love about Mindy as a character is how all of her internal angst over her body type is externalized. Everybody is totally aware of her body issues and talks openly about them, but it doesn't seem to get in the way of anyone's love for her or respect for her. I am sure I would have punched Casey for saying such a thing, but on the other hand, it is an acknowledgment of how she is an actual person he has a relationship with, not a "type." Her line about losing weight from diarrhea was priceless. I have totally thought that, on more than one occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Ariann, I completely agree. Those comments don't bother me because I see Mindy (Kaling, not Lahiri) as having so much control over this show and its scripts; it's her creation after all. I see it as something she herself writes in there, and I can talk about myself in a similar way without it being that I'm putting myself down, so I relate and can laugh at it. She's still confident and awesome, and she might make a joke to put it out there but it doesn't change how she lives at all, or how people relate to her. It's like- yeah I'm not like the super skinny lead actresses in every other sitcom and guess what- it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:16 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Amy wrote:
Ariann, I completely agree. Those comments don't bother me because I see Mindy (Kaling, not Lahiri) as having so much control over this show and its scripts; it's her creation after all. I see it as something she herself writes in there, and I can talk about myself in a similar way without it being that I'm putting myself down, so I relate and can laugh at it. She's still confident and awesome, and she might make a joke to put it out there but it doesn't change how she lives at all, or how people relate to her. It's like- yeah I'm not like the super skinny lead actresses in every other sitcom and guess what- it doesn't matter.

The comments don't bother me in a way where the I think the show is problematic, that comment just made me think that character was a crasshole.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:29 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The body comment didn't bother me at all. It's not like male writers are writing these lines and targeting Mindy. I feel like the line was more a reflection of Casey's tactlessness than the show in general. I hope it's not the last of Casey because I do like his character as a whole.

Way excited about how James Franco will fit in!

Rebekah wrote:
Yes! Too many of the characters feel like bad-rom-com 'zany' and 'wacky' to me, not like feasible humans with inner lives.

I feel like that's the point, though. The show is told in a narrative structure to sorta mimic bad romantic comedies and the lead character is obsessed with rom coms. I just find it to make perfect sense that the characters around her are pretty wacky most of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:38 am 
Not NOT A Furry

mixmaster_mo wrote:

Rebekah wrote:
Yes! Too many of the characters feel like bad-rom-com 'zany' and 'wacky' to me, not like feasible humans with inner lives.

I feel like that's the point, though. The show is told in a narrative structure to sorta mimic bad romantic comedies and the lead character is obsessed with rom coms. I just find it to make perfect sense that the characters around her are pretty wacky most of the time.

I see what you mean, but I feel like a lot of the wackiness is poorly written; the lesser characters get the weakest jokes, and remain flimsy characters. But that's just me being persnickety about writing--- I still watch every episode gladly!

Mindy and Seth Rogen made a fun couple, it was dismaying to watch her blow that one. I KNEW he was too busy to become a show regular, but they still got my hopes up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:32 pm 
Hip Goiter

"You're confusing my b!" Casey says the best stuff!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:38 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I really dislike Morgan. And new Dr. L, so I'm pretty glad he's gone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:23 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

RandiJM wrote:
"You're confusing my b!" Casey says the best stuff!

When he was like "Girl, you sho know my candies" I was DYING.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I seriously thought that the opening with Casey quitting the ministry was a dream sequence. It was just... so random. Like, where did that even come from? I felt like I missed an episode between this one and the last one. Casey went from being all about being a minister in Haiti to being a shiftless career hopper with no explanation or warning and it just kind of felt like an excuse to break them up.

"Hey boo. I can't come home, the British one trippin." Oh Tamara.

I can't decide if I like Bro Doctor or not. But I do know that I love The National, so there's another point for Danny.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

amandabear wrote:
I felt like I missed an episode between this one and the last one. Casey went from being all about being a minister in Haiti to being a shiftless career hopper with no explanation or warning and it just kind of felt like an excuse to break them up.

Yeah, time really flies on this show.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't like bro doctor. Bah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next