| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: The Mindy Project
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:39 pm 
Semen Strong

Road Trip was so not funny. Too much Morgan.

The only good line was about Castellano men not liking condoms

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:10 pm 
Hip Goiter

I really liked 'Stay at Home MILF'! Maybe just because the previous one sank all hopes so this was pretty funny. I loved when Jody and his sister were bonding and he was like 'with big breasts?' and she goes 'the biggest!' it was great. There were so many quotes I forgot like the one about origami.

Just started the road trip. Is it all the road trip? Do we get any flashes to NYC? If not I'm turning it off.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:28 pm 
Semen Strong

The road trip one was so unfunny. It was all Morgan except for one funny line about Castellano men not liking condoms. No NYC except the beginning.

The one with Mindy and Annette was genius though, with a hilarious anti-vax bit. And omg I am Mindy because 8 servings of pasta is definitely one meal not 8.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:57 pm 
Hip Goiter

Thanks so much! I turned it off after about 7 minutes, I just couldn't take it. Glad to know I didn't miss any Mindy. I looked at the Vulture recaps and it was like, "This episode was great because it focused on the two strongest characters, Danny and Morgan." WHAT THE EVERLOVING WHAT.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:11 pm 
Semen Strong

RandiJM wrote:
Thanks so much! I turned it off after about 7 minutes, I just couldn't take it. Glad to know I didn't miss any Mindy. I looked at the Vulture recaps and it was like, "This episode was great because it focused on the two strongest characters, Danny and Morgan." WHAT THE EVERLOVING WHAT.

BAHAHAHA! I watched the whole thing thinking it had to get funny, but it didn't. I get the intention of the episode, to explore Danny's relationship with his father through the mistaken belief that he had fathered a son himself years ago, but none of it worked on any level.

But Annette and Mindy are so brilliant together. That episode was so good I watched it twice and it felt shorter than the road trip one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:37 am 
Semen Strong

Wow, the Parent Trap episode was so incisively written. Danny and Mindy arguing about how he is controlling everything because he feels like she makes bad choices was just so well done. And heart breaking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:15 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm pretty done with the show (the whole Later Baby thing gives me unpleasant feels), but Danny is being such a crasshole!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:46 am 
Semen Strong

Two elements really resonated with me, to make this a really good episode, past the cute rom-com fluff.

1. When she said "I just wish you didn't have a list of my flaws right there, ready to go." And I think that happens in relationships sometimes, that because we think we know the other person we can't give them space to grow or we like our role in the relationship and it's moral high ground and are not willing to give it up. Danny has always been the steady, stable one and Mindy has been the flibbery gibbert, and their relationship worked because she looked to him for stability and he looked to her for excitement. But he was the one whose choices were never questioned and it was a great discussion on privilege when she talks about how the language of their relationship always favors him doing exactly what he wants. I think the fact that Danny always calls her selfish is part of the language used to attack women's choices. She pointed out that Danny was selfish as well and that she was also selfless so I appreciated that discussion. And the whole idea that women feel guilty for so much around parenting while also taking care of their own lives was great. Danny postponing the wedding instead of being happy for her professional success was so heartbreaking.

2. I also liked the way that it shows how relationships change after kids - even if you think you completely know one another, your fears from your childhood come up and suddenly your partner feels like the enemy you have to protect your child from. I really saw where Danny's fears came from as well - he was abandoned by his Dad as a kid and he saw his mother struggle alone and he was left "playing patty cake against the wall." So even though clearly Leo is well cared for and loved and not in any danger if Mindy goes to work, it still feels like a threat to Danny to Leo's wellbeing. And Danny loves Leo more than he loves Mindy (he has Leo's name over his heart) because as parents you often do love your kids in this deeper and more protective way than you love your spouse. So Mindy is trying to keep it together and not upset him, but there is a cost to that as well- she is great at her job and loves it and loves being a good doctor and helping people.

I just thought they did such a good job with that relationship and exploring both Danny and Mindy as flawed but also deeply loving and good parents and people. They both want the best for Leo and are struggling on how to find a new balance after having a kiddo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:11 pm 
Semen Strong

This was such an interesting article in the Atlantic on Mindy and the boring romance.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ce/418503/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:09 pm 
Hip Goiter

Ahhh I'm watching the wedding shower one and I have SUCH EXTREME AGITA!!! Ugh with the mothers wanting to do all the wedding planning and Mindy lying about her work with Jody and the clinic and no one telling the truth ahhhh I am gonna screeeam please tell me they resolve things.

eta ok that was fast. That was a killer scene in the bedroom when Mindy and Danny were fighting! I ENJOY HONESTY.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:38 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, whole sitcom/ French Farce thing where one person doesn't want to tell the other something and drama ensues, is really annoying! But I feel like it's the life blood of comedies - I mean if Mindy said "I want to pick my own dress and not look like the Flying Nun and I love my job so fork you Danny" then it wouldn't be a show.

But it does break my heart a little that Danny seems to only love Mindy if she is doing what he wants, and seems to not compromise at all and yet think he is the good guy and she is the selfish one. I hate how willing he was to let her go if she didn't give in, and is basically bullying her in a game of chicken where he is betting that she loves him enough to give up everything for him. I almost don't want to watch the finale because it's just so hard to imagine how the resolution will go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:08 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The fall finale made me cry.

I've been pretty lukewarm to the show up to this point. Annoyed, even. Totally understanding Fox dropping it since it's such a mess (what? happened? to? Mindy's? season? one? besties?!?).

But now I'm hooked and my heart is broken.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:33 am 
Hip Goiter

I'm on "Parent Trap". I never ever in a million years would have guessed how much Jody has grown on me ("Oh how I envy the Caribbean nannies that will raise them!") and how upset with Danny I am. (AND I actually laughed at a few Morgan scenes. Up is down.)

Judging by all the coverage I've seen online (and tried not to read but ya know, headlines, end of year lists...), I know I have a lot more to expect, but I am in awe of how well they are showing various relationship issues.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:53 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

F that danny guy. Seriously, his douchebag rating has flown off this season: Controlling, undermining, trying to force/Trick Mindy into getting pregnant, he is a piece of crepe I don't think his character can come back from this. Still finally was super sad, if only because you can see how much this situation is paining Mindy (seriously though DTMF!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15