| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 220  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:17 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Anek wrote:
Just started 11.22.63, looking good so far.


My dad loved it.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3963
Location: Edinburgh
I gave up on the Jess Smith book pretty much right after she said that America has a black president and therefore equality among the races. I was in the gym, and I actually threw my head back with that eye roll. I'm almost disappointed with myself for not liking it, but I really just couldn't continue.

I'm now reading a book about cold cases/miscarriages of justice. It's pretty interesting so far. I'm only on the second story, with which I'm somewhat familiar (Cameron Todd Willingham - went to TX death row on super dodgy evidence for killing his daughters in a house fire). Unless it ends up being a bunch of cases I've already read, I should enjoy it.

I wonder if it's possible to do a year of reading nothing but crime-related fiction and non-fiction. Actually, I'm pretty sure it is.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 pm 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7279
Location: bindlestiff
FootFace wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
jogirl wrote:
Just finished The Casual Vacancy. I thought it was really good, and not what I expected.

I'm glad you liked it!

I'm reading Inside Scientology which is just bizarre.


Did you see the piece on Going Clear in today's New York Times Book Review?

I have not but I will see if I can track it down. I think there's another book coming out soon as well, maybe by Lawrence Wright.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 3932
Location: Graz, Austria
I finally started The Night Circus. So far I'm really not sure what to think... but I'm not putting it aside, either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:52 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 1072
Location: Land of the First Kaiju
pandacookie wrote:
FootFace wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
I'm glad you liked it!

I'm reading Inside Scientology which is just bizarre.


Did you see the piece on Going Clear in today's New York Times Book Review?

I have not but I will see if I can track it down. I think there's another book coming out soon as well, maybe by Lawrence Wright.

I actually just bought Going Clear a few days ago and cannot wait to read it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 pm 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm
Posts: 1616
Location: Sweden
Just started The casual vacancy last night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5026
Location: WV
Finished The Evening Hour last night. It must have at least been absorbing, because it only took me two days to read it, and it's not short. It's weird...I'm from and currently reside in West Virginia, so I know a lot about its people and heritage, but I didn't grow up in the way that is typically depicted in books about this place. I'm just outside of coal country, and I know people who live there and grew up there and I've visited and know what's up, so I feel a definite sympathy for the characters in these books that I read, even though I'm not technically a part of it. Anyway, a lot of it was about mountaintop removal which is JUST HORRIBLE and also it was about the growing prescription pill and meth problem here, which is sad and awful. So basically, the book made me feel sad and awful, but I'm glad I read it. I worry that someone who isn't from WV and doesn't understand that there are more parts to it other than coal country would think that we're all uneducated and a little backwards, even if we are kind and generally good people. Same old shiitake stereotype that is always perpetuated. Can you tell that I can't really decide if I liked it or not?

I also read Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic by Terry Jones in the past few days. It was a delightful no-brainer.

Going to start Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams today. I am pretty sure it's going to be awesome, but also make me sad. Awesome because Douglas Adams was the best but sad because the book is about endangered species.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 3932
Location: Graz, Austria
Still reading The Night Circus. It does remind me a lot of the stories I thought up as a teenager: Very contrived dream-like aesthetics, set in a super safe and super stylised 19th century. All escapist kitsch and nothing for my mind to really engage with. Which might be awesome for those who like that kind of literature (No offense! There is a target group for everything, and that's okay!) - or are in need of a break from their own stressful routines - but not for me.
(Still finishing it, though - since I've promised myself to read 100 books again this year.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:33 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2277
Location: Austin, TX
Enjoying "This is How You Lose Her" by Junot Diaz. I think I liked Oscar Wao better though.

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6516
Location: Boston, MA
allularpunk wrote:
Finished The Evening Hour last night. It must have at least been absorbing, because it only took me two days to read it, and it's not short. It's weird...I'm from and currently reside in West Virginia, so I know a lot about its people and heritage, but I didn't grow up in the way that is typically depicted in books about this place. I'm just outside of coal country, and I know people who live there and grew up there and I've visited and know what's up, so I feel a definite sympathy for the characters in these books that I read, even though I'm not technically a part of it. Anyway, a lot of it was about mountaintop removal which is JUST HORRIBLE and also it was about the growing prescription pill and meth problem here, which is sad and awful. So basically, the book made me feel sad and awful, but I'm glad I read it. I worry that someone who isn't from WV and doesn't understand that there are more parts to it other than coal country would think that we're all uneducated and a little backwards, even if we are kind and generally good people. Same old shiitake stereotype that is always perpetuated. Can you tell that I can't really decide if I liked it or not?

I also read Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic by Terry Jones in the past few days. It was a delightful no-brainer.

Going to start Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams today. I am pretty sure it's going to be awesome, but also make me sad. Awesome because Douglas Adams was the best but sad because the book is about endangered species.


I will definitely add The Evening Hour to my list, even though I'm the same way, and it'll make me sad. Still there's just something special about WV; I just hope it's not completely lost with all of the 'development.'

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:46 am
Posts: 1099
Location: Sweden
allularpunk wrote:
Going to start Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams today. I am pretty sure it's going to be awesome, but also make me sad. Awesome because Douglas Adams was the best but sad because the book is about endangered species.

Last Chance to See is indeed awesome.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7279
Location: bindlestiff
alice1drland wrote:
I actually just bought Going Clear a few days ago and cannot wait to read it!

And that would be the book I was talking about coming out soon, not another book. I mixed my titles.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:39 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8651
Location: Maryland/DC area
I can't decide which fiction book to read next! I need to step away from reality a bit.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:43 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson? 2312 was good.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 pm
Posts: 13
I'm working my way through unread books on my bookshelf. I'm reading The Seventh Commandment by Lawrence Sanders. I'm really enjoying it, much more than I thought I would. Next up will be Everything Under the Sun by David Suzuki.

_________________
Keep Calm and Carry On


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5193
^Yeah, I've only read a couple of Lawrence Sanders books and I really enjoy his writing. I think because he's a bestseller type writer he's overlooked and never taken too seriously, but I seriously like what I've read of his. His The Third Deadly Sin is one of my comfort books that I've read so many times I've lost count.

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 pm
Posts: 13
seitanicverses wrote:
^Yeah, I've only read a couple of Lawrence Sanders books and I really enjoy his writing.


I've read quite a few of his before. I'm not sure where this one came from. Almost done (20ish pages left!).

P.S. Cute pun about canada! I'm Canadian too.

_________________
Keep Calm and Carry On


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9625
Location: Seattle
lavawitch wrote:
Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson? 2312 was good.


The only thing I've read by him is The Years of Rice and Salt, and it's one of my favorites ever.

Oh, wait. I think I read Antarctica, too, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Forty Signs of Rain! That whole trilogy is smashingly good. He creates interesting characters. They all seem oddly offbeat somehow.

Red Mars is also good, but I've never read the other two. It's kind of interesting how good his Martian geology ended up being. I suppose it could be a slog for the non-geological minded since he talks about rocks a LOT.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6516
Location: Boston, MA
The Orphan Master's Son is not disappointing--I almost missed my stop coming home tonight. I'm looking forward to really getting into it this weekend.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2277
Location: Austin, TX
lavawitch wrote:
Forty Signs of Rain! That whole trilogy is smashingly good. He creates interesting characters. They all seem oddly offbeat somehow.

Red Mars is also good, but I've never read the other two. It's kind of interesting how good his Martian geology ended up being. I suppose it could be a slog for the non-geological minded since he talks about rocks a LOT.

Red Mars is probably the best but I loved the follow ups as well. There are so many interesting themes in those books. I loved how the Martian children basically became another race and there was a lot of interesting thoughts on what it'd really be like to live forever.

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:37 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5026
Location: WV
Last Chance to See is definitely going to be good. Finally started it last night. I just love the way Douglas Adams wrote.

"...the monkeys were ambitious, and interested in all sorts of things, especially twigs, with which they found they could do all kinds of things that they couldn't do by themselves - dig for things, probe things, hit things." And then, "Thanks to astounding advances in twig technology, we arrived in canoes, then boats, and finally airplanes..."

That just tickled me. It's kind of in competition with that bit he wrote in Life, the Universe, and Everything about the mattresses living on Squornshellous Zeta.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:01 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8651
Location: Maryland/DC area
I'm not much of a Sci fi fan but I'm trying to expand my genres as for years I only read horror then would get disappointed in my choices and not read for a while.

I decided to read a mystery/thriller called The Demon Colony which is based on the premise that America was founded with secret intentions or something. I'll see how it goes.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
linanil wrote:
I'm not much of a Sci fi fan but I'm trying to expand my genres as for years I only read horror then would get disappointed in my choices and not read for a while.

I decided to read a mystery/thriller called The Demon Colony which is based on the premise that America was founded with secret intentions or something. I'll see how it goes.


I'm not really either. KSR is a good genre expanding choice. He does alternative history stuff too.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8651
Location: Maryland/DC area
lavawitch wrote:
linanil wrote:
I'm not much of a Sci fi fan but I'm trying to expand my genres as for years I only read horror then would get disappointed in my choices and not read for a while.

I decided to read a mystery/thriller called The Demon Colony which is based on the premise that America was founded with secret intentions or something. I'll see how it goes.


I'm not really either. KSR is a good genre expanding choice. He does alternative history stuff too.


I did add to my wishlist but I'll have to wait until I see something on sale or borrow from Amazon or I go to the library. :)

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 220  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer