| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 220  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Anek wrote:
Just started 11.22.63, looking good so far.

My dad loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I gave up on the Jess Smith book pretty much right after she said that America has a black president and therefore equality among the races. I was in the gym, and I actually threw my head back with that eye roll. I'm almost disappointed with myself for not liking it, but I really just couldn't continue.

I'm now reading a book about cold cases/miscarriages of justice. It's pretty interesting so far. I'm only on the second story, with which I'm somewhat familiar (Cameron Todd Willingham - went to TX death row on super dodgy evidence for killing his daughters in a house fire). Unless it ends up being a bunch of cases I've already read, I should enjoy it.

I wonder if it's possible to do a year of reading nothing but crime-related fiction and non-fiction. Actually, I'm pretty sure it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

FootFace wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
jogirl wrote:
Just finished The Casual Vacancy. I thought it was really good, and not what I expected.

I'm glad you liked it!

I'm reading Inside Scientology which is just bizarre.

Did you see the piece on Going Clear in today's New York Times Book Review?

I have not but I will see if I can track it down. I think there's another book coming out soon as well, maybe by Lawrence Wright.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finally started The Night Circus. So far I'm really not sure what to think... but I'm not putting it aside, either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:52 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

pandacookie wrote:
FootFace wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
I'm glad you liked it!

I'm reading Inside Scientology which is just bizarre.

Did you see the piece on Going Clear in today's New York Times Book Review?

I have not but I will see if I can track it down. I think there's another book coming out soon as well, maybe by Lawrence Wright.

I actually just bought Going Clear a few days ago and cannot wait to read it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Just started The casual vacancy last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 am 
WELFARIST!

Finished The Evening Hour last night. It must have at least been absorbing, because it only took me two days to read it, and it's not short. It's weird...I'm from and currently reside in West Virginia, so I know a lot about its people and heritage, but I didn't grow up in the way that is typically depicted in books about this place. I'm just outside of coal country, and I know people who live there and grew up there and I've visited and know what's up, so I feel a definite sympathy for the characters in these books that I read, even though I'm not technically a part of it. Anyway, a lot of it was about mountaintop removal which is JUST HORRIBLE and also it was about the growing prescription pill and meth problem here, which is sad and awful. So basically, the book made me feel sad and awful, but I'm glad I read it. I worry that someone who isn't from WV and doesn't understand that there are more parts to it other than coal country would think that we're all uneducated and a little backwards, even if we are kind and generally good people. Same old shiitake stereotype that is always perpetuated. Can you tell that I can't really decide if I liked it or not?

I also read Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic by Terry Jones in the past few days. It was a delightful no-brainer.

Going to start Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams today. I am pretty sure it's going to be awesome, but also make me sad. Awesome because Douglas Adams was the best but sad because the book is about endangered species.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Still reading The Night Circus. It does remind me a lot of the stories I thought up as a teenager: Very contrived dream-like aesthetics, set in a super safe and super stylised 19th century. All escapist kitsch and nothing for my mind to really engage with. Which might be awesome for those who like that kind of literature (No offense! There is a target group for everything, and that's okay!) - or are in need of a break from their own stressful routines - but not for me.
(Still finishing it, though - since I've promised myself to read 100 books again this year.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:33 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Enjoying "This is How You Lose Her" by Junot Diaz. I think I liked Oscar Wao better though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

allularpunk wrote:
Finished The Evening Hour last night. It must have at least been absorbing, because it only took me two days to read it, and it's not short. It's weird...I'm from and currently reside in West Virginia, so I know a lot about its people and heritage, but I didn't grow up in the way that is typically depicted in books about this place. I'm just outside of coal country, and I know people who live there and grew up there and I've visited and know what's up, so I feel a definite sympathy for the characters in these books that I read, even though I'm not technically a part of it. Anyway, a lot of it was about mountaintop removal which is JUST HORRIBLE and also it was about the growing prescription pill and meth problem here, which is sad and awful. So basically, the book made me feel sad and awful, but I'm glad I read it. I worry that someone who isn't from WV and doesn't understand that there are more parts to it other than coal country would think that we're all uneducated and a little backwards, even if we are kind and generally good people. Same old shiitake stereotype that is always perpetuated. Can you tell that I can't really decide if I liked it or not?

I also read Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic by Terry Jones in the past few days. It was a delightful no-brainer.

Going to start Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams today. I am pretty sure it's going to be awesome, but also make me sad. Awesome because Douglas Adams was the best but sad because the book is about endangered species.

I will definitely add The Evening Hour to my list, even though I'm the same way, and it'll make me sad. Still there's just something special about WV; I just hope it's not completely lost with all of the 'development.'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

allularpunk wrote:

Last Chance to See is indeed awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

alice1drland wrote:
I actually just bought Going Clear a few days ago and cannot wait to read it!

And that would be the book I was talking about coming out soon, not another book. I mixed my titles.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:39 pm 
WRETCHED

I can't decide which fiction book to read next! I need to step away from reality a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson? 2312 was good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm working my way through unread books on my bookshelf. I'm reading The Seventh Commandment by Lawrence Sanders. I'm really enjoying it, much more than I thought I would. Next up will be Everything Under the Sun by David Suzuki.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 am 
WELFARIST!

^Yeah, I've only read a couple of Lawrence Sanders books and I really enjoy his writing. I think because he's a bestseller type writer he's overlooked and never taken too seriously, but I seriously like what I've read of his. His The Third Deadly Sin is one of my comfort books that I've read so many times I've lost count.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

seitanicverses wrote:
^Yeah, I've only read a couple of Lawrence Sanders books and I really enjoy his writing.

I've read quite a few of his before. I'm not sure where this one came from. Almost done (20ish pages left!).

P.S. Cute pun about canada! I'm Canadian too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 pm 
Grandfathered In

lavawitch wrote:
Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson? 2312 was good.

The only thing I've read by him is The Years of Rice and Salt, and it's one of my favorites ever.

Oh, wait. I think I read Antarctica, too, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Forty Signs of Rain! That whole trilogy is smashingly good. He creates interesting characters. They all seem oddly offbeat somehow.

Red Mars is also good, but I've never read the other two. It's kind of interesting how good his Martian geology ended up being. I suppose it could be a slog for the non-geological minded since he talks about rocks a LOT.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The Orphan Master's Son is not disappointing--I almost missed my stop coming home tonight. I'm looking forward to really getting into it this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lavawitch wrote:
Forty Signs of Rain! That whole trilogy is smashingly good. He creates interesting characters. They all seem oddly offbeat somehow.

Red Mars is also good, but I've never read the other two. It's kind of interesting how good his Martian geology ended up being. I suppose it could be a slog for the non-geological minded since he talks about rocks a LOT.

Red Mars is probably the best but I loved the follow ups as well. There are so many interesting themes in those books. I loved how the Martian children basically became another race and there was a lot of interesting thoughts on what it'd really be like to live forever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:37 am 
WELFARIST!

Last Chance to See is definitely going to be good. Finally started it last night. I just love the way Douglas Adams wrote.

"...the monkeys were ambitious, and interested in all sorts of things, especially twigs, with which they found they could do all kinds of things that they couldn't do by themselves - dig for things, probe things, hit things." And then, "Thanks to astounding advances in twig technology, we arrived in canoes, then boats, and finally airplanes..."

That just tickled me. It's kind of in competition with that bit he wrote in Life, the Universe, and Everything about the mattresses living on Squornshellous Zeta.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:01 am 
WRETCHED

I'm not much of a Sci fi fan but I'm trying to expand my genres as for years I only read horror then would get disappointed in my choices and not read for a while.

I decided to read a mystery/thriller called The Demon Colony which is based on the premise that America was founded with secret intentions or something. I'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 am 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
I'm not much of a Sci fi fan but I'm trying to expand my genres as for years I only read horror then would get disappointed in my choices and not read for a while.

I decided to read a mystery/thriller called The Demon Colony which is based on the premise that America was founded with secret intentions or something. I'll see how it goes.

I'm not really either. KSR is a good genre expanding choice. He does alternative history stuff too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 pm 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
linanil wrote:

I'm not really either. KSR is a good genre expanding choice. He does alternative history stuff too.

I did add to my wishlist but I'll have to wait until I see something on sale or borrow from Amazon or I go to the library. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 220  Next