| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5008 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 201  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Just about to begin Benjamin Zephaniah's The Little Book of Vegan Poems.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Phoenix wrote:
I just read an awesome YA book in (maybe even less than) 24 hours. It's The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (although I read a German translation), and here's what it does, in as few words as possible: It reminds the reader to never cease being amazed at the world. :)

That sounds so awesome! I just added it to my list. Have you read Sophie's World? I really enjoyed it, but haven't thought of the author again, so I was delighted to see his name.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

ndpittman wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
I just read an awesome YA book in (maybe even less than) 24 hours. It's The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (although I read a German translation), and here's what it does, in as few words as possible: It reminds the reader to never cease being amazed at the world. :)

That sounds so awesome! I just added it to my list. Have you read Sophie's World? I really enjoyed it, but haven't thought of the author again, so I was delighted to see his name.

Sophie's World was written as a commentary to The Solitaire Mystery. I haven't read it either... Annoyingly my library gives me three hits for this title: Swedish, Arabic, and (I think) Croatian. I want to read it in Norwegian!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fruitbat wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Sophie's World was written as a commentary to The Solitaire Mystery. I haven't read it either... Annoyingly my library gives me three hits for this title: Swedish, Arabic, and (I think) Croatian. I want to read it in Norwegian!

I haven't read Sophie's World, but I know about it. The Solitaire Mystery is more subtle about the whole philosophy issue, I think. More playful dialogue & a bit of fantasy, but not necessarily escapist. It just cheered me up no end. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Started The Paris wife, about Hemingway's first wife. A colleague recommended it, although I know nothing of Hemingway other than he's a famous author. The book is all right so far, a fictional view of what could have happened between the two.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Anek wrote:
Started The Paris wife, about Hemingway's first wife. A colleague recommended it, although I know nothing of Hemingway other than he's a famous author. The book is all right so far, a fictional view of what could have happened between the two.

I've read a bit historically on this. I believe it would be a fictional account of Ernest and Hadley Hemingway's marriage that you're reading? I won't give what happened away in case you don't know (in terms of what is known factually) but I've read Ernest's collection of letters and after their marriage was over, he wrote very fond-toned letters to Hadley. My sense from these letters is that that even though they were divorced, EH had nothing but love and respect for her whatever did happen between them.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

seitanicverses wrote:
.................. My sense from these letters is that that even though they were divorced, EH had nothing but love and respect for her whatever did happen between them.

Is that a Canadian Freudian Slip?

I like those fictional accounts based on facts. Has anyone read the similar novel about Sylvia Plath called Wintering a Novel of Sylvia Plath ?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Jonny Guitar wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
.................. My sense from these letters is that that even though they were divorced, EH had nothing but love and respect for her whatever did happen between them.

Is that a Canadian Freudian Slip?

I like those fictional accounts based on facts. Has anyone read the similar novel about Sylvia Plath called Wintering a Novel of Sylvia Plath ?

Ha! No, I sometomes (often!) just get too lazy to spell out author's names. EH= Ernest Hemingway here.

I actually read a book that imagined Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes' marriage. Well, I can't remember what it was called, but it was dumb--I remember that much (not the book you speak of). Although I don't mind fictional accounts based on facts that are done well.

I just googled the book you speak of and I want to read it now!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:27 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

seitanicverses wrote:
Anek wrote:

I've read a bit historically on this. I believe it would be a fictional account of Ernest and Hadley Hemingway's marriage that you're reading? I won't give what happened away in case you don't know (in terms of what is known factually) but I've read Ernest's collection of letters and after their marriage was over, he wrote very fond-toned letters to Hadley. My sense from these letters is that that even though they were divorced, EH had nothing but love and respect for her whatever did happen between them.

Yes, that's the one. I read the author was touched by some of the letters or some other writing of him when he mentioned Hadley, and decided to write a "could be" story.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm reading How I Killed Pluto and Why it Had it Coming by Mike Brown. I'm loving the parts about planetary science and the process of scientific discovery. I imagine he'd be a very good teacher! I could, however, do without all the exposition about his family and every step in the early childhood development of his daughter.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 am 

Just finished AM Holmes May we be forgiven. Really good read...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

Just finished This is Your Brain on Musicwhich I would highly recommend to anybody who is really into or music or seriously play an instrument.

Started My Life by Edith Piaf (just because I love her voice) and The Last Tycoon by F. Scott Fitz (which I was excited to find because I thought I had read everything he wrote).

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:20 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm reading AWOL on the Appalachian Trail. It was a free Amazon Prime borrow and it's pretty interesting so far.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Totally cheating because this is for a class, but I just started reading Paradiso for the first time and it's pretty amazing. Not that I'm at all emotionally invested in the Commedia or anything.

lepelaar wrote:
I'm reading How I Killed Pluto and Why it Had it Coming by Mike Brown...I imagine he'd be a very good teacher!

Nothing constructive to add, but can definitely believe this. I've heard he's a pretty fantastic teacher.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ndpittman wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I still have my high school copy of Sophie's World and I always think about re-reading it but haven't yet :)

Being o/seas means I am not reading, but I am buying so many books (they're so cheap here in the USA!)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:21 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Anybody read Robin Cook? I used to enjoy him, but haven't read anything in 6-7 years. It seems he has a few books with recurring characters now; I am annoying about reading in order.

Any recommendayionsv for one or two to pick up?

Finished Suns Heartbeat. Starting Physics of the Future by Sexy Long Haired Japanese Physicist from the Science Channel whose name I'm blanking on. I got that for my dad when it came out; he liked it and just tossed it my way.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Read Chuck Wendig's Mockingbird (the sequel to Blackbirds) on a short road trip. It's even better than the first book in the series, but features an instant of extremely hurtful profanity that does nothing for plot or characterisation. I'm usually okay with the occasional swearword, especially if the character does swear a lot, but I really had a problem with this one, since it's extremely disrespectful (not just swearing) and serves no purpose in the book. It would have been possible to rephrase.

(Also read another Batman: Gotham by Gaslight. I guess my expectations were too high.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:56 am 
Nooch of Earl

lavawitch wrote:
Anybody read Robin Cook? I used to enjoy him, but haven't read anything in 6-7 years. It seems he has a few books with recurring characters now; I am annoying about reading in order.

Any recommendayionsv for one or two to pick up?

Finished Suns Heartbeat. Starting Physics of the Future by Sexy Long Haired Japanese Physicist from the Science Channel whose name I'm blanking on. I got that for my dad when it came out; he liked it and just tossed it my way.

When I was like 10 my favorite books were "Mutation" and "Mindbend".. But it's been a while.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just finished Rena's Promise. A very worthwhile read.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:52 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

The Green Man by Kingsley Amis. It's like PG Wodehouse meets Daphne du Maurier meets HP Lovecraft: delicious!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:56 pm 

Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Creepy!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:01 pm 

I just had two weeks of vacation, so I read real books for the first time since giving birth 16 months ago! It feels awesome. Got through "Midnight's Children," "The Art of Fielding" and just finished "How to Be a Woman." Next up is "Dinner: A Love Story."

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:15 pm 

Still slowly chipping away at Great Expectations. I'll probably get some non-fiction next, preferably something nature based.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:51 am 
Naked Under Apron

Over my May holiday I read:

The Knife of Never Letting Go - first in a dystopia, YA series by Patrick Ness
Insurgent - second of the Divergent series, another dystopia YA series, by Veronica Roth
Room by Emma Donoghue - whoa

Now I'm reading Looking for Alaska by John Green and listening to the audiobook of The Kite Runner to investigate it for next year's curriculum.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 5008 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 201  Next