| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 216  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

blondiefk wrote:
I'm on to the next In Death book, Seduction in Death.

That was a good one. This is not really a spoiler since it comes out within the first couple of chapters, but

Spoiler: show
it's basically a Leopold & Loeb deal. I enjoyed that since I'm a big fan of Hitchcock and Rope. Also Swoon. Ever since I went to the U of Chicago, I've been morbidly facsinated.

since I've got fossils on the brain, I pulled Trilobite by Richard Fortney off my Amazin wish list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:42 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So after repeatedly seeing flowers in the attic mentioned on Jezebel, I decided I was going to read it. It is SO WEIRD. I'm like halfway through.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Flowers in the Attic is super weird, you're right. I read it when I was in high school and never read any more VC Andrews after that. I think having an older brother in real life made it extra gross to me, though.

I've been reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke to fall asleep to (I've read it before and liked it, so it's an easy night time read) and now I've gotten so into it that I've decided to just actively read the whole thing again. I guess I just really need a wintery, magic-y, slightly snarky, England in the 1800's-y book right now. I wish she would write more books.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So do I! I check her wikipedia page all the time to see if anything else is due to be published. She's apparently working on a follow up, but IIRC she spent over 10 years writing Strange & Norrell, so I'm not holding my breath.

I'm really excited for the BBC miniseries, though. I plan on watching the hell out of that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:14 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

pastabake wrote:
So do I! I check her wikipedia page all the time to see if anything else is due to be published. She's apparently working on a follow up, but IIRC she spent over 10 years writing Strange & Norrell, so I'm not holding my breath.

I'm really excited for the BBC miniseries, though. I plan on watching the hell out of that.

I didn't know there was going to be a miniseries! So excited! And yeah, I read The Ladies of Grace Adieu, but I need moooooore.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

allularpunk wrote:
Flowers in the Attic is super weird, you're right. I read it when I was in high school and never read any more VC Andrews after that. I think having an older brother in real life made it extra gross to me, though.

Yeah, that book and the whole series was super popular when I was in high school.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

pastabake wrote:

I loved the book (think I have read it 2 or 3 times) and can't wait for the TV series!

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:00 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

rachell37 wrote:
I finally finished Dracula! It took me so long (almost 2 weeks), and that was my 2nd read. Now I can watch the lectures for my course. Good thing I'm not doing this for a grade because I'm 2 weeks behind now.

If anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation, I have read Dracula several times. My boyfriend wrote his first novel, Crabula (an homage to Dracula except the vampire happens to be a giant crab), despite never having read the book, just basing it on my plot recollections and maybe the movie with Keanu Reeves which we watched about 18 years ago. So yeah, I can be your living Cliff Notes!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:08 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

ndpittman wrote:
Now I'm reading Orange is the New Black and loving it. I find the actual Piper much more endearing than the Netflix character. Or at least she's recalled herself in a manner that it endearing, maybe she was kind whiny (justifiably) but didn't write herself in a negative light. I dunno, but I'm really enjoying it.

I requested that from the library after reading the thread on here about the show (which I've not seen), and thought the show must have made her into more of a fish out of water character than she portrays herself, judging by people's comments about the show.

I enjoyed the book, though it made me feel sad for most of the women in it.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:04 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

dropscone wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Now I'm reading Orange is the New Black and loving it. I find the actual Piper much more endearing than the Netflix character. Or at least she's recalled herself in a manner that it endearing, maybe she was kind whiny (justifiably) but didn't write herself in a negative light. I dunno, but I'm really enjoying it.

I requested that from the library after reading the thread on here about the show (which I've not seen), and thought the show must have made her into more of a fish out of water character than she portrays herself, judging by people's comments about the show.

I enjoyed the book, though it made me feel sad for most of the women in it.

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate take. There's much more drama and violence on the show, but it's TV, so it has to be?

It definitely made me sad for women who never get the chance of an education or training for something outside of underground economies. I appreciate that Piper threw in some statistics about re-incarceration and whatnot. It's an incredibly broken system.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 am 
Seagull of the PPK

dropscone wrote:
My boyfriend wrote his first novel, Crabula (an homage to Dracula except the vampire happens to be a giant crab),

please, please tell me this is available somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm on to The Invisible Man now. I like this course, but I'm looking forward to being able to read whatever the hell I want. I mean, I suppose I could do anyway because it's not like I'm getting credit for it (it's just Coursera - I don't have to do anything I don't want to do), but I'd rather keep up than try to do it all at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
dropscone wrote:
My boyfriend wrote his first novel, Crabula (an homage to Dracula except the vampire happens to be a giant crab),

please, please tell me this is available somewhere.

Seriously, this sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finished The Invisible Man, now on to The Island of Dr Moreau.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:19 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

finally got Dr Sleep, after being on the waiting list for YONKS!
of course, i already am in the middle of a Pico Iyer book and a Thich Nhat Han Book. And i am drowning in deadlines. it's always the way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm on Portrait of Death. I'm just going to keep going til I'm caught up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You still have a ways to go! I think you are only halfway. By that time, she will have published another.

I didn't get Thankless in Death yet. Maybe next week. I'm still on a nonfiction kick.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A new one comes out in February. I've been reading one every other day. So I can maybe make it before the next one comes out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Some of the novellas are really good too, so don't forget those. Sometimes they fill in the blanks of what happened between books, like trips off planet or the BBQ party.

I'd kind of like it if she wrote a book where Eve and Roarke were away on an actual vacation and off scene while Peabody and McNab solve a case.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It seems like most of the novellas are part of compilations and I'm not interested in those. I'm buying them. I gave up Starbucks for them.

Did you read Remember When? I think I will be reading that one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm reading the coldest girl in coldtown by holly black. it's the first vampire book i've read since interview with the vampire and other than buffy comics of course. so far it's good. i really like her books and they are super easy reads, which is nice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

blondiefk wrote:
It seems like most of the novellas are part of compilations and I'm not interested in those. I'm buying them. I gave up Starbucks for them.

Did you read Remember When? I think I will be reading that one.

Are they not available as kindle singles? I guess I got most of the novellas super cheap with Audible credits.

Remember When wasn't my favorite Roberts or Robb. The concept was interesting, but ultimately didn't work as well as it could have. As far as Roberts goes, The Reef, Homeport, or Three Fates were much better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, they aren't available as Kindle singles. I'll probably see of my library has some of the anthologies because I want to read ALL THE BOOKS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:39 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

i'm currently engrossed in Pop Kids by Davey Havok. it's a tad oversexed, but it's got a TON of vegan characters, and is about the rise to fame for a kid in california and his fall and i think some major arsons he causes because he gets nervous! very interesting at least

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:19 am 
Nailed to the V

The Girls by Lori Lansens ... bought at an airport bookshop years ago & just found when shifting suitcases.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 216  Next