| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203 ... 216  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Star wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
I've just finished The Night Circus. It was amazing!

I read it last January and it was my favourite book of the year, I want to read it again very soon

This is one of my favorite books of all time. I absolutely and unabashedly love it, and I love that you all like it, too. I got to attend a talk the author did, and she is just truly a dear.

I'm still reading Bark, and I'm appreciating it a bit more, but it's not making pink puffy hearts come out of my brain like thinking about The Night Circus does.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:51 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

blondiefk wrote:
I'm really in the mood for a British police procedural (just watched all the series of Prime Suspect). Any recommendations?

i'm reading my first Elizabeth George book right now (Inspector Lynley mysteries). I've heard they are are all good. I really like this one, it's called In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner.

I'm rewatching Prime Suspect right now myself!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love Elizabeth George! I've read them all though, the earliest ones twice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:34 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I also love Elizabeth George! One word of caution though - she recently wrote a YA novel, The Edge of Nowhere. I bought it because I like YA fiction and I loved her Lynley novels.
I strongly suggest you avoid it like the plague! It read like it was written by a different author entirely, and was really, really not good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

blondiefk wrote:
I'm really in the mood for a British police procedural (just watched all the series of Prime Suspect). Any recommendations?

Have you read PD James?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Yay LW! You're back!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

lavawitch wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

Have you read PD James?

Yes, most of them. All the Wexford ones at least.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:
Yay LW! You're back!

I haven't gone anywhere. I just am too apathetic to post/have nothing much to say.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ndpittman wrote:
Star wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
I've just finished The Night Circus. It was amazing!

I read it last January and it was my favourite book of the year, I want to read it again very soon

This is one of my favorite books of all time. I absolutely and unabashedly love it, and I love that you all like it, too. I got to attend a talk the author did, and she is just truly a dear.

I'm still reading Bark, and I'm appreciating it a bit more, but it's not making pink puffy hearts come out of my brain like thinking about The Night Circus does.

You got to be in the same room as Erin Morgenstern? I am so jealous, I would sell my own body parts for the opportunity!!!

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:23 pm 

blondiefk wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

Have you read PD James?

Yes, most of them. All the Wexford ones at least.

The Wexford books are Ruth Rendell. PD James' detective is Adam Dalgleish, and her books are excellent (as are Rendell's!).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oops, I'm getting them confused. I haven't read a Ruth Rendell in a while.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The only ebook by PD James my library has is Death Comes to Pemberley, which I read last summer. They have Road Rage by Ruth Rendell which I'm going to read. That's their only Rendell book. My library has a poor ebook selection.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've just discovered Denise Mina, who has a few different series with female protagonists. The series I'm 2/3 through isn't exactly a police procedural in that the protagonist isn't a cop, but at least one of her other series has a cop as the main character. The Garnethill novels are set in Glasgow (mainly), and I'm fairly certain her other series are at least set in Scotland, if not also in Glasgow. I don't know if Scotland is the kind of British you're after - Denise Mina's books are slightly grittier than the pastoral English countryside, how could this happen in our tiny village types of procedurals I've read by other authors. Oh, and the Garnethill series has a lot of stuff about domestic violence and sexual abuse, so if you find that stuff triggering, you'll want to avoid it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Just finished "A Trip to the Stars" which was very enjoyable. If you like magical realism, stars, and spiders I recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Reading "the Pilot's Wife". It is getting (thank gosh) less depressing as it goes and more involving.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Origin in Death by JD Robb.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

blondiefk wrote:
Origin in Death by JD Robb.

I get the titles mixed up, but if that's the one I think, it's a really good one. It gets a lot of play in future books too.

I hate the anthropologist she introduced in the last book. It seemed like she was hinting at her and Morris. I hope not because Morris is one of my favorite characters. I'll be happy if he gets more page time in a new book soon.

I'm over my JD Robb burnout now, so I'll pick back up with Visions on audio soon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:11 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I finished the first Hunger Games book (although it was supposed to take me about 2 days it took two weeks). I just started So below by Matt Whyman. I found it in a pound shop and its surprisingly good

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just realised I haven't mentioned the last few books I've read. I was on holiday, so I blasted through a few.

The Book Thief was excellent. I didn't cry (or at least not much - I can't remember), but it was really touching and powerful. Now I'm in the awkward position of kinda wanting to see the film (there are a lot of excellent actors in it) but not wanting to ruin the experience of the book in case it sucks.

After that was Kill the Dead, a Sandman Slim novel. I liked it, but maybe not as much as the first. I'm not a huge fan of the zombie genre. But I like the series.

The Gingerbread House was meh. It leads you down a path, but the twist isn't that great. I've read worse Nordic crime fiction, but I've also read a lot better.

And finally, Resolution, the last in the Maureen O'Donnell trilogy that I mentioned upthread (by Denise Mina). I really liked it and have now bought the first books in both of Denise Mina's other 2 series.

I'm now reading Star Trek and History, which I talked about in the non-fiction thread. I got a £50 Amazon voucher from my co-workers when I left my old job, and I spent most of it on Kindle books for my now much longer commute. I'm saving the last bit of it for when the new Camilla Lackberg is on sale (which it's bound to be at some point).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:31 pm 

I'm glad you liked The Book Thief! I'm in two minds about the film as well - I'd hate it if it "spoilt" the book.

I've just finished Cross and Burn by Val McDermid. I love her Tony Hill books and this one did not disappoint.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 am 
Tofu Pup

Just began reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold..it's very captivating and so easy to read.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:25 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Just finished For The Time Being. I keep reading books where they alternate chapters between two characters or times and I just want to keep reading one story! Next book, I'm going to make sure. This one was really interesting, I do recommend it if you like reading about Japan, and really who doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:51 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I'm in the middle of "The heartless stone", a history of the diamonds' trade and all that goes on behind it. It's really interesting, and sad.

Has anyone read the books from Vine Jackson? "Eighty Days Yellow" and following ones? I was looking at them at the airport but wasn't sure if it would be another 50 Shades tragedy or if they are actually good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LazySmurf wrote:
Just finished For The Time Being. I keep reading books where they alternate chapters between two characters or times and I just want to keep reading one story! Next book, I'm going to make sure. This one was really interesting, I do recommend it if you like reading about Japan, and really who doesn't.

I really enjoyed this book too. I also at points just wanted to keep reading one story not the other.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:53 pm 

Has anyone read the Cazalet novels by Elizabeth Jane Howard? I've been listening to a serialisation on the radio which I really enjoyed, but am a bit wary of the books (they're not the sort of thing I would normally read).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203 ... 216  Next