| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am finally beginning Good Omens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:44 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Anek wrote:
I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child last night and I was not really impressed.

What didn't you like?

As someone who works a lot in theatre, I have no intention of reading the script or expecting much from it, but every review
I've read of the actual stage production has said it's phenomenally good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just finished reading The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. I enjoyed it, it was a good read, but not as good as I was expecting from the hype. From a historical perspective it was interesting because of the attention to detail over the VOC and the sugar era but in other areas it just felt too...modern. As if the protagonist and her family were modern people living in seventeenth century Amsterdam.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:01 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Recently finished Writing My Wrongs: Life, Death, and Redemption In An American Prison by Shaka Senghor. I had heard the author on an NPR program and was impressed by his inspiring story and views on the prison system. His book didn't disappoint.

Now I'm reading the thriller All The Missing Girls by Megan Miranda. It's told in reverse. I'm liking both the story and the narrative style.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:53 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Imogen wrote:
Anek wrote:
I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child last night and I was not really impressed.

What didn't you like?

As someone who works a lot in theater, I have no intention of reading the script or expecting much from it, but every review
I've read of the actual stage production has said it's phenomenally good.

I had no problem with it being a script rather than a book, the story flowed very well in script form. The rest here
Spoiler: show
It read more like a psychology book about the troubled relationship between father and teenage son than a HP story (which I love enormously). It seemed to stretch it a lot to please the crowd with certain choices, like Draco being bossed around by Hermione, or being good friends with Harry. Also the obvious Albus and Scorpio being best friends was a bit of a stretch, and I thought that the solution to the going back in time issue they created was solved in a stupid and potentially more issue-creating way that it should have (why not stop them going back in the first place?). It was mainly male characters with very little space given to Hermione and Ginny, and Rose was practically non-existent. And Voldemort having a daughter? I don't think so!
So my issues are with the story itself. Maybe as a theater production is flows well and the special effects I'm sure do an awesome job or recreating the HP world, but the story seemed a bit weird to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

jogirl wrote:
I've just started A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel, about the people and events of the French Revolution. I am enjoying it, but it is taking a lot of concentration, partly because [...]you could write what I know about the French Revolution on the back of a postage stamp.

I've just finished this, loved it, and now need to know more about the history! Can anyone recommend a good, accessible introduction to the French Revolution? The French Revolution: A Very Short Introduction by William Doyle has good reviews on Amazon so I thought I might start there, but would welcome other suggestions!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tigon wrote:
I am finally beginning Good Omens.

That was my gateway book to Neil Gaiman. I loved it so, so much. And since reading that a few months ago, I've been on a mission to read everything Gaiman that I can get my hands on. I read Anansi Boys and Stardust last week.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Funny - after reading Good Omens, I was glad I was already a Gaiman fan because I thought I wouldn't have given his other stuff a chance if that had been my introduction to him. But maybe I'm not a Pratchett fan (I've never read any of his stuff).

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, and there's no way I can catch up (I've probably read 20 books since I last posted). But I felt the need to post about the one I just read because it was so different from what I'm used to, and I'm really only just realising it.

Archivist Wasp by Nicole Kornher-Stace - In a post-apocalyptic world, Wasp is an Archivist, the chosen of the goddess(?) Catchkeep whose job is to try to learn from ghosts about the world Before. Unfortunately most ghosts can't actually speak, so after ~400 years of field notes from other Archivists, no one has learned much about Before. Wasp catches a ghost who can not only speak but can interact with her and convinces her to help him find someone from his past. She hates her life of abuse, deprivation, and being feared by the people, so she agrees to help.

The things I loved about it:
1) No love story - the (male) ghost was looking for a female ghost, but they didn't have a romantic relationship. And Wasp didn't fall in love with him or anyone else.
2) There were no named male characters. No one ever said the ghost's name, and no one ever said the Catchkeep priest's name. There were minor female characters who got names, but no male characters with names. I thought that was really interesting and obviously deliberate.
3) The main characters were competent but flawed. There were times when they were unlikeable.

Overall I found it really engaging. I would definitely recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

jogirl wrote:
jogirl wrote:
I've just started A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel, about the people and events of the French Revolution. I am enjoying it, but it is taking a lot of concentration, partly because [...]you could write what I know about the French Revolution on the back of a postage stamp.

I've just finished this, loved it, and now need to know more about the history! Can anyone recommend a good, accessible introduction to the French Revolution? The French Revolution: A Very Short Introduction by William Doyle has good reviews on Amazon so I thought I might start there, but would welcome other suggestions!

Simon Schama is always good. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/527 ... dule=false

I've read the Carlyle and I think it was good, but I mostly remember it being a bit dry.

I have The Black Count on my to be read list. It looks good: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/133 ... lack-count

I used to love Antonia Frasier. When I was studying French and was reading everything in 1989, I loved her book on Marie Antoinette.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thank you! I have had other recommendations for Simon Schama, so may do that one first.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:11 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I rummaged in my book boxes and found my absolute favorite book on the French Revoltuion. It is out of print, but is a marvelous book: Voices from a Momentous Epoch.

https://www.amazon.com/French-Revolutio ... 0670826952

You can pick it up and read it straight through, but it's sort of a coffee table book, heavy on primary sources and full of period paintings, artifacts, jewelry, etc. It is a relatively easy read since focuses on ephemera, letters, diaries, newspapers, and the like and is written to cover individual topics. It is really enthralling.

My aunt gave it to me for the bicentennial and even though I've always taken perfect care of my books, I wore this one to tatters!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've just checked Amazon and they have second hand copies of that for under £3 - duly ordered! Thanks for the recommendation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:55 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I just finished a comic series (I think; it was all compiled) called The Infinite Loop. It's about time travel and accepting difference (and yourself) and finding love. It was beautifully done and made me cry. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

just finished there three:

Augusten Burroughs' newest book: Lust & Wonder - it was awesome! such a great memoir, as he does!
Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol by Anne Dowsett Johnston - also really awesome!
Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget brought to you by Sarah Hepola - soooo good!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Just started 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes.
Haven't read anything by him before and am really liking it so far.
Yesterday I watched the "Arthur and George" miniseries, based on a Barnes book and I really liked that a lot too so if this book continues to go well, I may check out more of this stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If you like Julian Barnes, his A History Of The World In 10 1/2 Chapters is one of my favourite books.

I've just started Pompeii by Robert Harris. I'm enjoying it, but it is a little odd reading a book where you already know the fate of most of the characters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love Robert Harris. His trilogy about Cicero is amazing. Even when you know what's coming next, he has you so invested in all the characters that they end up being page turners.

I haven't read Pompeii yet though. I should bump it up my reading list.

I decided to give myself a Septmeber reading challenge. I'm going to pick 5 books from my criminally long list of books I've bought and haven't yet read, or possibly fizzled out on while reading.

I settled on: Dr. Zhivago (the Pevear/Voloknonsky translation), James Michener Texas, Tomatoland, The Whale, by Philip Hoare, and Voices from Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:48 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've been obliterating all of Kurt Vonnegut's books. I've read all of his novels that I can find from the Portland Library. I should check online to what extent of his works that actually covers. I just started a book of his short stories. His writing style delights me to no end, I'm so bummed there's a cap on how much of his stuff there is to read.

Anyone have any authors to recommend for someone crazy about Vonnegut?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:07 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Mars wrote:
I've been obliterating all of Kurt Vonnegut's books. I've read all of his novels that I can find from the Portland Library. I should check online to what extent of his works that actually covers. I just started a book of his short stories. His writing style delights me to no end, I'm so bummed there's a cap on how much of his stuff there is to read.

Anyone have any authors to recommend for someone crazy about Vonnegut?

Have you ever read Richard Brautigan? He's different from Vonnegut but has a disjointed hippie style I just love.

Start with Revenge of the Lawn if you can find it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:21 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

jogirl wrote:
If you like Julian Barnes, his A History Of The World In 10 1/2 Chapters is one of my favourite books.

I've just started Pompeii by Robert Harris. I'm enjoying it, but it is a little odd reading a book where you already know the fate of most of the characters.

^^ thanks, I will give that book a try.
thanks for the rec!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm back to devouring McDermotts. I read City of Gold or whatever the title was yesterday. It was excellent: they discovered two lost Incan cities, prevented a coup, helped apprehend a drug Lard and a terrorist, all within about 400 pages. These books are so fast paced that I sometimes have to backtrack a bit because I start reading too fast.

I know: I have deplorable taste in literature but there are just so damn much fun. They are like reading a Roger Moore era Bond movie. They don't take themselves too seriously and McDermott always finds ways to work in cheeky references to whatever action movie trope he is shamelessly ripping off.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

I just finished the Nightingale and I CRIED AND CRIED. I don't know if my tastes in literature are changing or I am getting emotional in my years, but it seems like everything I read now makes me cry a little.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:00 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers - best sf/f book I've ever read and easily in my top 5 books of all time. I loved everything about it - it made me feel a lot of feelings.

The author makes a point of using gender neutral language and defaulting to female secondary characters (e.g., when they're boarded by space pirates, the characters think of them in terms of xe/xyr until one of the pirates refers to another as "she"). Same-sex relationships aren't even commented on; they just exist as normal because they are. Even interspecies relationships aren't that unusual. And humans aren't the prime species - other species set up the Galactic Commons before they knew humans existed, and humans were treated as second class until they were allowed into the GC. It covers so many things - sentience, civil rights, relationships between lovers, friends, family, and crewmates - but the overarching theme, I thought, was the chosen family. It comes back to that a lot.

I loved it so much - I got it from the library but I'm probably gonna buy a copy so I can read it again and maybe share with people. I think even if you aren't a sf/f fan, you'll probably like this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:15 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Recently finished "Salt", a history of the world seen from the perspective of salt and what impact it had on events, countries, and culture. It was interesting but not as good as the banana book.

I now started "Limit", set in the not-so-far future when the space elevator has been finally built and all that. It's science fiction but not so much, it's still really close to current topics (although it was written in 2009 and it has some "wishful thinking" approaches to the future - after Obama the US became the leader in fighting climate change and everyone is very "green", David Bowie goes to the moon and sings Space Oddity, etc). I'm sure it will be an action-packed novel from the middle on, like "The swarm" by the same author, which I absolutely loved.

I also started "The Deptford Trilogy", it's hard to describe what it's about so far, but it's really captivating (I missed getting off the train because I was so engrossed in it).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:54 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I just started Foxes Unearthed : A story of love and loathing in modern Britain by Lucy Jones and to tie in with the fox theme + because he turns 100 years old in September I also checked out Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271  Next