| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:06 am 
Taco Scientist

rachell37 wrote:
The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers - best sf/f book I've ever read and easily in my top 5 books of all time. I loved everything about it - it made me feel a lot of feelings.

The author makes a point of using gender neutral language and defaulting to female secondary characters (e.g., when they're boarded by space pirates, the characters think of them in terms of xe/xyr until one of the pirates refers to another as "she"). Same-sex relationships aren't even commented on; they just exist as normal because they are. Even interspecies relationships aren't that unusual. And humans aren't the prime species - other species set up the Galactic Commons before they knew humans existed, and humans were treated as second class until they were allowed into the GC. It covers so many things - sentience, civil rights, relationships between lovers, friends, family, and crewmates - but the overarching theme, I thought, was the chosen family. It comes back to that a lot.

I loved it so much - I got it from the library but I'm probably gonna buy a copy so I can read it again and maybe share with people. I think even if you aren't a sf/f fan, you'll probably like this.

Thanks for this tip! Good sci-fi is so hard for me to find.

I just started Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:10 pm 
Total Hoover

rachell37 wrote:
The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers - best sf/f book I've ever read and easily in my top 5 books of all time. I loved everything about it - it made me feel a lot of feelings.

The author makes a point of using gender neutral language and defaulting to female secondary characters (e.g., when they're boarded by space pirates, the characters think of them in terms of xe/xyr until one of the pirates refers to another as "she"). Same-sex relationships aren't even commented on; they just exist as normal because they are. Even interspecies relationships aren't that unusual. And humans aren't the prime species - other species set up the Galactic Commons before they knew humans existed, and humans were treated as second class until they were allowed into the GC. It covers so many things - sentience, civil rights, relationships between lovers, friends, family, and crewmates - but the overarching theme, I thought, was the chosen family. It comes back to that a lot.

I loved it so much - I got it from the library but I'm probably gonna buy a copy so I can read it again and maybe share with people. I think even if you aren't a sf/f fan, you'll probably like this.

Thanks- I've just reserved this from the library based on your description!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My reading habits are so bizarre. I started with another adventure novel, this time about the tomb of Alex the Great. Realizing that Macedonia is one ancient civil I dint know much about I switched to a bio of Alex. Then got sidetracked by a discussion of Diogenes and now I'm reading about the cynics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

I read Rosie Project about 6 months ago, and have been on the library waiting list for Rosie Effect ever since. My turn came up last night, so I know what I'm curling up with this weekend!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:57 pm 
Taco Scientist

Can anyone recommend a good mystery? Something popular enough that we will be able to find it at the library on audio. It's not a genre I usually read but thought it'd be fun for a road trip.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The Sue Grafton audio books are wonderfully done.

Department Questions by Jussi Adler Olsen. Michael Connelly's Bosch series.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I started song of fire and ice last night. I'm a third through and completely sucked in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Has anyone read A Stranger in Olondria? I'm 20% through and I'm not really feeling it, but if someone else can confirm that it gets better, I might keep reading. As it is, I've already sunk about an hour and a half into it and still have over 7 hours to go according to my Kindle, so I'll give up on it if it's not gonna get any better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Life is too short for unfun books.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Game of Thrones book 1 was so good! It's nothing at all like what I usually read. I might wait a while for book 2. I'm out of practice reading longer books and I'm too used to the instant gratification of finishing in one or two sittings. This was not good for my sleep schedule this week!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lavawitch wrote:
Game of Thrones book 1 was so good!

Had you seen the tv show? Were many things spoiled for you already?

Another series that can be dark at times, but is very similar with even better pacing, is the Demon Cycle by Peter Brett. Slightly shorter, easier reads, but a series I have loved.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Not yet. I always like to read books first so books don't get spoiled.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

lavawitch wrote:
Life is too short for unfun books.

I stuck with it and it got better. I need to finish it so I can read my book group book for Tuesday.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I got a review copy for Margaret Atwood's new book, Hag-Seed. I am excited.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:27 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and it's really fun! At first I was skeptical since it's written as a play, but after a few pages it starts flowing like a typical book. It's kinda like watching a movie with subtitles, it feels like it distracts from the movie but after a few minutes somehow your brain can read and watch the movie without much thought.

I've always loved to read but recently I've been having a hard time motivating. I've gotten so used to skimming articles and reading short snippets that reading a book feels like a huge time commitment. I don't like that I feel this way because reading has always been such a positive outlet for me. I'm on the hunt for books that will suck me in. I'm super excited for Tana French's new book and hope the library will get the ebook soon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:30 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm reading the Little House books. Never read them as a child, so it's all new to me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:47 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

amonik wrote:
I'm reading the Little House books. Never read them as a child, so it's all new to me.

I haven't thought about those books in years! I loved them as a child and I think it would be interesting to go back and read them as an adult.

I'm currently reading The City and the City by China Mieville.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:44 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have been having a great reading summer! My greatest discover was audiobooks. I drive often for work and audiobooks have made commuting my favourite thing about my job! Often I listen to a book during the day and read it at night--I really like the unique experience of devouring it in two different ways. Recent read/listens are The Sympathizer (amazing), Fifteen Dogs (the author narrates and does an exceptional job), and now I am lisening to Fugitive Pieces because I read it ages ago and remember how poetic the writing was--it's an interesting one to have on in the car. Last night I read two graphic novels: Angel Catman (Atwood!!!) and Spain & Morocco.

I have the new Jonathon Safran Foer lined up to read.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:27 am 
Nailed to the V

Fall is in the air and the days are getting shorter. It is the season for ghost stories.

I’ve started Peter Straub’s Ghost Story. I read it 15 years ago but rushed through it and missed a lot of the real horror and suspense created the author’s pace of telling the story.

This time I’m taking it slower, reading with Isa’s Best Pumpkin Muffins and chai. It is a good horror read; I’ve had both shivers and goosebumps !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

amonik wrote:

Those were my favorite books as a kid. I became really obsessed and decided I wanted to be a pioneer. I took up embroidery and made a rag doll from old socks.

A year later my parents provided internet access to my computer and that kind of went away quickly.

I recently reread Harry Potter, partly in preparation for The Cursed Child. About midway through the series, I learned that the spoiler article I read before the script was published was not a joke and in fact quite real, and now I have no desire to pay full price for it. If I find it used and hella cheap at my favorite used book store, I'm sure I'll pick it up down the line. But it honestly sounds like a bad fan fiction and I can read those for free.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Game of Thrones is so good. It's very immersive, and I like Martin's writing style. Considering he writes doorstoppers, he isn't exceptionally verbose. I started book 2 yesterday. I want to know what Daenaerys is going to do with her <spoiler>.

I'm falling behind on my nonfiction!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:32 am 
Taco Scientist

I read (or rather listened to) The Humans by Matt Haig this weekend. It's my favorite book in a long time, it was funny and hopeful in a way that I'm always looking for and never find. Definitely a good book if you hate the world some times.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:42 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oddspongeout - I checked it from the library as an ebook, free free free! I think it's a fun book, but it's really short and depends on the reader having read the other HP stories.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:53 pm 
Total Hoover

vijita wrote:
I have been having a great reading summer! My greatest discover was audiobooks. I drive often for work and audiobooks have made commuting my favourite thing about my job! Often I listen to a book during the day and read it at night--I really like the unique experience of devouring it in two different ways. Recent read/listens are The Sympathizer (amazing), Fifteen Dogs (the author narrates and does an exceptional job), and now I am lisening to Fugitive Pieces because I read it ages ago and remember how poetic the writing was--it's an interesting one to have on in the car. Last night I read two graphic novels: Angel Catman (Atwood!!!) and Spain & Morocco.

I have the new Jonathon Safran Foer lined up to read.

When you say you listen to a book during the day and read it at night, do you listen up to, say, chapter 10 and then read from chapter 11 onwards at night? Or read the parts you have already listened to? Or can you listen to a whole book in one day's worth of commuting?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

If I have an ebook and an audio, I switch back and forth like that to. I try to do that with really long books that I know I'll fizzle out on with just one method. Since I subscribe to Audible and buy books on Amazon, it works seamlessly with their syncing. If you read, it takes you to the exact spot on the audio where you stopped reading, and then when you return to the book, it moves you ahead. Its wonderful, except all books don't have this feature. It helps that many of the audiobooks are only $3.99 if you already own the Kindle version.

I'm listening to Lawrence Wright's new book about ISIS (The Terror Years) this way since the book is huge, depressing, and the audiobook is something like 17hrs long.

Most audiobooks I get are 6-9 hrs long, so I usually don't switch since that's on;y 2-3 days driving for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271  Next