| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 223  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:56 am 
Huffs Nooch

Shy Mox wrote:
I got tired of all the unicorn wonder and whimsy, so I got In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

It's so good! Seriously awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

couroupita wrote:
I finished the last Wheel of Time book! I feel so sad now! There is a book-shaped hole in my heart now that will never ever ever be filled. *sniff*

If anyone has a fantasy series recommendation, it would be much appreciated!!

My book club is reading Cleopatra this month. So far, I'm not really into it.

i just wanted to add that i'm going to pick up book #1 of this series over the weekend. the description online seems pretty good and does your testimonial ;) i can relate to the book-shaped hole in your heart (such a beautiful turn of phrase) and that is what inspired me to pick this up. i certainly hope you have found something just as good to read currently.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:16 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

A collection called I'm With The Bears: Stories for a Damaged Planet, which is made up of short (fiction) stories from a whole range of authors about climate change. It's very good but quite depressing!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:39 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm reading "The 4-Hour Workweek" by Timothy ("Tim") Ferris for possibly the hundredth time. So many great concepts in that book about the value of time, going against the grain and lifestyle design.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:55 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My Name is Mary Sutter. it's about a midwife during the Civil War who wants to become a surgeon. It started out good but it's morphing into a love story and is getting on my nerves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

reading two books at the moment. "de beste blant oss" by Helene Uri, which is a Norwegian novel about.. um.. it confuses me a bit, well its linguistics and their lives and love lives?

and then Im reading a German novel "Die Mittagsfrau" by Julia Franck. I really like the atmosphere but it feels a bit "too vague"? Good nonetheless.
Ah, I just saw it was translted into 33 languages. Um: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blind-Side-Hear ... 347&sr=8-1

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

Just finished Ivan, A Pound Dog's View on Life and it was pretty awesome!!! I am on a Kerouac kick at the moment reading Dharma Bums and Desolation Anges: seems he was really close to getting it about sentient beings getting eaten..maybe in a different time, Dean Moriarty would be a vegan. Also reading Pushkin's complete stories which is really cool.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

TheHerbivore wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
I got tired of all the unicorn wonder and whimsy, so I got In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

It's so good! Seriously awesome.

No kidding! I saw a documentary about it years ago so I vaguely remember what happened, but all the same I really want to stop studying for an exam I have in the morning and just go read it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finished Solaris. (Tarkovsky's film version is SO close too the book - and includes some interpretations on the filmmaker's part. Love it even more now.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Did you like Solaris? I read it last year (or the one before?) and enjoyed it but was also a bit weirded out by the second half or so.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Did you like Solaris? I read it last year (or the one before?) and enjoyed it but was also a bit weirded out by the second half or so.

I loved it. Read Boris & Arkardy Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic earlier this year and didn't really enjoy any other book after that (even though the translation was awkward in places). Abandoned at least 3 or 4 books halfway through. I'm not really sure that that's going to change after Solaris, but I really really enjoyed it. I understand the "weirding you out" factor, but I really like that in a book, and Lem has always been a master at inducing effects of estrangement. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:40 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh yes, I didn't mean I didn't like it. I definitely not. But I didn't love it. I also thought the German translation was off a lot of the times. I prefer reading the originals but as much of a language nerd as I am if I never read translations I would miss out on a lot of books.

ashley wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

In preparation for St. Patrick’s Day I’m reading A Faerie Tale by Raymond E Feist (1988).

From the promo: “A contemporary fantasy novel about the Hastings family who move from California to upstate New York into an old house in a deep wood and become involved in ancient, Celtic magic and occult horror when they are lured into the world of some luminous elfin beings in the Fairy Woods .”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ijustdiedinside wrote:
The book I posted about above is fantasy-ish. It's alternate history - the napoleonic wars with dragons and it's about a british navy captain who captures a ship with a dragon egg on it and his relationship with the dragon. It's pretty great, despite some boring parts, but if you're more of a history buff then those parts might be more exciting to you.

::ETA:: um, maybe it would help if I told you the name of the books! The first one is called His Majesty's Dragon and it's by Naomi Novik.
Thank you for the recommendation! Off to see if my library has it!

bookwormbethie wrote:
i just wanted to add that i'm going to pick up book #1 of this series over the weekend. the description online seems pretty good and does your testimonial ;) i can relate to the book-shaped hole in your heart (such a beautiful turn of phrase) and that is what inspired me to pick this up. i certainly hope you have found something just as good to read currently.
Oh, yay! I hope you enjoy it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sixpence House. It's kind of an ode to books, and I like it quite a bit so far.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Oh yes, I didn't mean I didn't like it. I definitely not. But I didn't love it. I also thought the German translation was off a lot of the times. I prefer reading the originals but as much of a language nerd as I am if I never read translations I would miss out on a lot of books.

Oh, I read an English translation. (published by Orion, I think? Lovely cover with stars across a dark sky...)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mine looked like this

which is still nicer than a lot of the other covers, I saw.

A lot of the time I will try to get the one with the prettiest cover if there are several versions. Faber & Penguin ones are wonderful a lot of the time. Like this one:

ashley wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Gaga Feminism: Sex, Gender, and the End of Normal by J. Jack Halberstam. I have to read it for school and I'm not far into it but so far I'm pleased, the author does not idolize Gaga or anything, but its more the idea of Gaga.

Actually so far its like a very accessible Gender Trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

just started miss buncle's book by d.e. stevenson.

i'm just a wee bit into it, but i like it so far
i'm hoping it's just a good story about ordinary life but written extraordinarily

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Invictus wrote:
I'm reading Code Name Verity

I hope you LOVE it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I did! Such a great story, and well told.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 am 
Nailed to the V

VeganinBerlin wrote:

The descriptive writing in this book is wonderful!! It is one of my fave books and I actually carry around the following passages with me in my wallet:

-"Slowly, I swam up from the bottom of a black sleep"

-"I tried to concentrate, my mind glided off, like a skater, into a large empty space, and pirouetted there, absently."

-"I felt like a racehorse or a champion footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like the date on a tombstone"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:29 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

VeganinBerlin wrote:
A lot of the time I will try to get the one with the prettiest cover if there are several versions.

I do that when I buy books, too. As for Solaris I read an early 70s Swedish translation (checked out from the library).

I really struggle with translations. Mostly they annoy me, but if I never read any I'd be seriously missing out. I also think that I'm more negatively affected when something is translated from a language I know (maybe that's why I mostly read translations from Russian or Japanese). Then there is the problem of so few, especially non-anglophone, books being translated into Swedish these days. Sometimes when they are available in Swedish they're translated via English and in that case I'd rather just read the English translation, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:32 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I need a good junk food vampire book or series. It doesn't need to have redeeming features beyond entertaining me for an hour or two.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
I need a good junk food vampire book or series. It doesn't need to have redeeming features beyond entertaining me for an hour or two.

There are vampires in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. (The ones we're used to and others too, including vampires feeding off sex energy.) Super fun. Highly recommended. Overall, the series is more about urban magic, though. (Plus vampires, werewolves, ghosts and other supernatural entities.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 223  Next