| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 214  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:30 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Jonny Guitar wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

Returning back to Dostoevsky's Demons to remind myself good writing exists in the world.

The Possessed/The Demons is a fantastic book. I am currently finishing off his book, Raw Youth/The Adolescents, and it has been a bit of a struggle for some reason. Every time I finish one of his books, I feel sad because it means that there is one less of his books to discover.

Yep! He is amazing, and I love him. Chaotic Russian lit is the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

Kitteh wrote:
Jane Eyre via audio book

be sure to read the prequel, "Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys because details Rochester's time in the Caribbean and his marriage to the crazy lady. It is a highly rated book and well worth tracking down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Sargasso_Sea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

alice1drland wrote:
Chaotic Russian lit is the best.

You must of loved/You will love The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov -- total crazy Russian chaos at it finest. I know I missed on a lots of nuances because I am not Russian but it was wildly entertaining: it is like a very dark and twisted Gogol story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:39 pm 

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
Jane Eyre via audio book

be sure to read the prequel, "Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys because details Rochester's time in the Caribbean and his marriage to the crazy lady. It is a highly rated book and well worth tracking down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Sargasso_Sea

I really didn't like Jane Eyre, but I found Wide Sargasso Sea totally riveting!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Invictus wrote:
beccack wrote:
Invictus wrote:
Just finished Uglies

I thought it was a pretty good series. Entertaining and an easy read !

I just finished Pretties, and I agree with you. I'll knock out Specials today and tomorrow. I think that maybe the story could have been tightened up some and done as 3 parts in one long book. I like dystopian futures, so I generally have been enjoying the series.

I loved these books, but I thought Extras was just ok. If you like his writing, you should check out the Leviathan series. That one blew my mind a little just because it was so good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:39 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

The Russin lit talk has inspired me to pick up one of my kindle daily deal finds, the best of Russian literature. Some I've already read, but hey, for $1.99 or whatever it was, I thought I'd get to know some of the classic authors I'm not familiar with.

I recently read The Best American Noir of the Century, and really really liked it. Some of the Amazon reviews were all "not every story is noir, this guy doesn't know what noir is" etc, so if you are a noir purist, maybe you won't be impressed? I however, am not so can't judge. I can just tell you that I couldn't put it down.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-American ... oir+novels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sooo... I'm re-reading Dune - to hopefully continue beyond the point at which I abandoned the series when I was younger.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 am 

Jonny Guitar wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
Chaotic Russian lit is the best.

You must of loved/You will love The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov -- total crazy Russian chaos at it finest. I know I missed on a lots of nuances because I am not Russian but it was wildly entertaining: it is like a very dark and twisted Gogol story.

Oh, that's one of my favorite all-time books. I love it so.

One of the best college courses I ever took was Russian Thought and Civilization. It made me understand and appreciate Russian literature. I'd definitely like to go there someday!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i sadly had to set aside book #1 in the wheel of time series, i got well over 100 pages into it, and it was quite good, the author was telling a good story, but i couldn't imagine myself reading the other 12 or so book in the series. i'm definitely way more of a sci-fi kind of gal than a fantasy one. my hubby may give it a try.

currently reading Seven Keys to Baldpate by Earl Derr Biggers, it is fantastic so far. i love it. this is probably too simple of a way to explain the premise of the book, but it's supposed to be a bit like the movie "clue"

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:02 am 

I started rereading the Harry Potter books last week and I'm on the last one. I've read them many times and couldn't find anything at the new library that jumped out at me so decided to give them another turn. I'm not sure what I'll read after this but I shouldn't read another series since I completely turn off the outside world and well, I got things to do. I like the sound of that Jean Rhys book about Rochester.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Other by Thomas Tryon. But all this talk of Russian lit makes me wished I picked up Dostoevsky.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:07 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I finished Poison, which was really good! A bit predictable at times, but it was a fun little read. Last night while making dinner, I wished I still had more of it left. I miss the characters and the world quite a bit now.

I started reading The Silver Linings Playbook, and while I do like it so far, I don't feel like I'm in the right mood for it at the moment. I've read so much fantasy and YA lately that reading something a bit more realistically adult is weird. I'm only a few chapters in, so I might put it down for a bit and revisit it later.

Also, I read a review that said the book spoils a few classic novels. I already read the part about The Great Gatsby, though I somehow have never read the book itself. I think I might find that review again and read those books before I continue on with SLP.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:34 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I just started The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains. Fascinating stuff, and it's comforting to hear that I'm not alone in the decline of my short term memory and ability to concentrate.

I'm back into Into the Wild which expired before I was able to finish it last time. I love John Krakauer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

kara kara wrote:
I finished Poison, which was really good! A bit predictable at times, but it was a fun little read. Last night while making dinner, I wished I still had more of it left. I miss the characters and the world quite a bit now.

I started reading The Silver Linings Playbook, and while I do like it so far, I don't feel like I'm in the right mood for it at the moment. I've read so much fantasy and YA lately that reading something a bit more realistically adult is weird. I'm only a few chapters in, so I might put it down for a bit and revisit it later.

Also, I read a review that said the book spoils a few classic novels. I already read the part about The Great Gatsby, though I somehow have never read the book itself. I think I might find that review again and read those books before I continue on with SLP.

If you find it, I'd love to see that review. I've been eyeing SLP, but I get really angsty about book spoilers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes, SLP does have some spoilers about a few classic novels, I can't recall which specific books off the top of my head, maybe the Great Gatsby? and a few others. I've already read SLP (I really liked it, I was in the mood for some light entertaining reading) and honestly, I've already forgotten about all the classic spoilers.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Reading Lolita in Tehran is the same - lots of spoilers about classic novels. So far it's basically part literature review/criticism, part memoir, since the writer was a lit prof and she's recounting her experiences with a private literature course she taught. But yeah, I pretty much knew what Lolita was about, but I've never read it, so there were a lot of things that have been spoiled for me. In fairness, though, it does kinda make me want to read Lolita.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:28 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

ndpittman wrote:
kara kara wrote:

If you find it, I'd love to see that review. I've been eyeing SLP, but I get really angsty about book spoilers.

It's the first review I see on the SLP Goodreads page. Here you go:

elaine on Goodreads wrote:
Warning: This book will spoil some classics if you have yet to read them.

1. The Scarlet Letter
2. The Great Gatsby
3. A Farewell to Arms
4. The Catcher in the Rye
5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
6. The Bell Jar

Alright, consider yourselves warned, now onward to my short review.

I've read the last 3, and remember them well. I never finished The Scarlet Letter in high school.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:37 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Freshman research papers. Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad freshman research papers. And seemingly everything ever written in Middle English.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Desdemona wrote:
Freshman research papers. Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad freshman research papers. And seemingly everything ever written in Middle English.

This is not a shock. My students sound illiterate when they try to write more than a sentence. If I were trying to judge age/grade blind, I'd guess 7-9th max, not ready to graduate seniors. And those are my A students. They don't put any depth or thought, and vocabulary is limited. I'm ashamed that I've pulled back on making them write more just because I have so many other issues and writing isn't in my curriculum.

I had about 20 students all day ask me what "composition" meant on our last test. I used the word in class a lot when talking about rocks and hadn't realized most found it an unfamiliar word. I try to be sensitive to word choice for my ELL students, but have discovered that most actually need serious vocabulary enrichment. I do word roots with them and try to make lots of connections.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Catalina wrote:
I started rereading the Harry Potter books last week and I'm on the last one. I've read them many times and couldn't find anything at the new library that jumped out at me so decided to give them another turn. I'm not sure what I'll read after this but I shouldn't read another series since I completely turn off the outside world and well, I got things to do. I like the sound of that Jean Rhys book about Rochester.

I re-read HP so often, it's really pretty gross.

I've been wanting to lately, but I have so many books that people have lent me that are waiting patiently and I've been slacking.

NO HARRY POTTER, SELF.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:58 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lavawitch wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

This is not a shock. My students sound illiterate when they try to write more than a sentence. If I were trying to judge age/grade blind, I'd guess 7-9th max, not ready to graduate seniors. And those are my A students. They don't put any depth or thought, and vocabulary is limited. I'm ashamed that I've pulled back on making them write more just because I have so many other issues and writing isn't in my curriculum.

I had about 20 students all day ask me what "composition" meant on our last test. I used the word in class a lot when talking about rocks and hadn't realized most found it an unfamiliar word. I try to be sensitive to word choice for my ELL students, but have discovered that most actually need serious vocabulary enrichment. I do word roots with them and try to make lots of connections.
The worst is when a kid is articulate and thoughtful in class (i.e., knows words and how to use them) but is apparently incapable of transferring that skill to paper...it's discouraging how little they know about basic grammar, syntax, etc., so it makes it that much harder to address bigger issues like thesis statements, formulating an argument, and generally not making a huge, tossed word salad that I then have to grade.

Le sigh. Maybe I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue, but with three weeks of classes left and my oral exam looming in a little over a month, I am so ready for this semester to be over.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, definitely. I have a few kids like that. Writing is just so deemphasized in school these days. Plus, kids are super lazy* and will generally write as little as they can get away with. Teachers don't call them on the sloppy lack of effort, so they don't get the practice they need.

* sure some aren't, but I kind of think lazy is standard teen modus operandi for things they dont love to do. It's our job to not let them get away with it! This isn't at all a slam on kids.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:34 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
The worst is when a kid is articulate and thoughtful in class (i.e., knows words and how to use them) but is apparently incapable of transferring that skill to paper...it's discouraging how little they know about basic grammar, syntax, etc., so it makes it that much harder to address bigger issues like thesis statements, formulating an argument, and generally not making a huge, tossed word salad that I then have to grade.

Le sigh. Maybe I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue, but with three weeks of classes left and my oral exam looming in a little over a month, I am so ready for this semester to be over.

I get this as well when marking first and second year papers (thankfully I've just handed over the last of them for moderation for this academic year). What annoys me is that if they just took a moment to proof read or just read their essays aloud before submitting they would pick up so many obvious mistakes!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I'm back into Into the Wild which expired before I was able to finish it last time. I love John Krakauer.

I love that book!!! After you read it, you should read London's Call of the Wild and to a lesser extent, Thoreau's Walden -- it helps to get more into his reasons for his actions. Read it a few times now, and I find myself thinking about Christopher's journey a couple of times a month.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just started Timequake for the first time. I haven't read a Vonnegut book in a while and I'm pretty excited.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 214  Next