| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 223  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

Weeee Vonnegut.
I just got Lindqvist's Harbor from the library.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I'm back into Into the Wild which expired before I was able to finish it last time. I love John Krakauer.

I love that book!!! After you read it, you should read London's Call of the Wild and to a lesser extent, Thoreau's Walden -- it helps to get more into his reasons for his actions. Read it a few times now, and I find myself thinking about Christopher's journey a couple of times a month.

loved 'into the wild'
might i also suggest 'the last season'? it was a great page turner
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Season-P-S-E ... 0060583010

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

julialegume wrote:
Weeee Vonnegut.
I just got Lindqvist's Harbor from the library.

I liked Harbor! Not as much as I liked Let The Right One In, and it felt really Stephen King-esque, but when Stephen King is on the ball, not Stephen King you roll your eyes at a lot. The ending I felt a little bit mixed about, but I won't spoil it for you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:06 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

kara kara wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
kara kara wrote:
I finished Poison, which was really good! A bit predictable at times, but it was a fun little read. Last night while making dinner, I wished I still had more of it left. I miss the characters and the world quite a bit now.

I started reading The Silver Linings Playbook, and while I do like it so far, I don't feel like I'm in the right mood for it at the moment. I've read so much fantasy and YA lately that reading something a bit more realistically adult is weird. I'm only a few chapters in, so I might put it down for a bit and revisit it later.

Also, I read a review that said the book spoils a few classic novels. I already read the part about The Great Gatsby, though I somehow have never read the book itself. I think I might find that review again and read those books before I continue on with SLP.

If you find it, I'd love to see that review. I've been eyeing SLP, but I get really angsty about book spoilers.

It's the first review I see on the SLP Goodreads page. Here you go:

elaine on Goodreads wrote:
Warning: This book will spoil some classics if you have yet to read them.

1. The Scarlet Letter
2. The Great Gatsby
3. A Farewell to Arms
4. The Catcher in the Rye
5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
6. The Bell Jar

Alright, consider yourselves warned, now onward to my short review.

I've read the last 3, and remember them well. I never finished The Scarlet Letter in high school.

You are a gem! (ETA: Is it bad that I can't remember if I actually read The Scarlet Letter when we did it in high school? I know it was on the curriculum, and I was tested on it...)

I adore this thread so much. I am always finding new things to read. I'm even more excited to check out Silver Linings Playbook and now Lindqvist's Harbor. I'm currently reading Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley, but I'm not far enough into it to have an opinion. The Flavia de Luce series is a guilty pleasure of mine though, so I'm sure I'll love it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Reading Lolita in Tehran. It was really good.

Now I'm reading The Boy in the Suitcase, which I think is a Danish (translated, obvs) crime novel. It's a bit complicated at the moment because the author introduced a lot of characters in the first few pages. Hopefully it'll get a bit clearer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Que(e)rying Religion: A Critical Anthology. Its huge and I'm not sure if I'll be able to read it all before it has to go back to the library, but so far its really good!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I think I'm going to start Hatha Yoga Pradipika tomorrow - I have to do some reading before I go to yoga teacher training in June.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:35 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I'm back into Into the Wild which expired before I was able to finish it last time. I love John Krakauer.

I love that book!!! After you read it, you should read London's Call of the Wild and to a lesser extent, Thoreau's Walden -- it helps to get more into his reasons for his actions. Read it a few times now, and I find myself thinking about Christopher's journey a couple of times a month.

Thanks for the recommendations! I read Call of the Wild so many years ago that I couldn't even tell you the basic premise...so I should probably revisit it! Walden has been on my to-read list for years.

I finished Into the Wild, and it was so good. I feel a lot of mixed emotions about Chris and loved the personal connection Krakauer felt to him and how he used that connection to help explain what motivated McCandless. I need John Krakauer to write more books for me.

Now I'm onto Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:51 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

bookwormbethie wrote:
loved 'into the wild'
might i also suggest 'the last season'? it was a great page turner
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Season-P-S-E ... 0060583010

I'll check that out! Looks good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 am 
Discovered unobtainium

McCandless went to school here. All he needed was a goddamn map.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

I just started Flowers for Algernon last night. No idea how I missed this one before. It's probably going to make me cry.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:17 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

allularpunk wrote:
I just started Flowers for Algernon last night. No idea how I missed this one before. It's probably going to make me cry.

Practically guaranteed.

I've just finished Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir, about Lady Jane Grey. I really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I needed an entertaining audiobook for work, so I'm listening to The Commitment by Dan Savage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Wuthering Heights via audio book. The audio book is not great, the narrator's voice is too low, even at full volume via the Audible app or connected to an external speaker, so I found the beginning hard to follow, but I'm going to continue or get the cd version from the library.

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
Jane Eyre via audio book

be sure to read the prequel, "Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys because details Rochester's time in the Caribbean and his marriage to the crazy lady. It is a highly rated book and well worth tracking down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Sargasso_Sea

Thanks, will look for it :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just finished Before I Fall

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Invictus wrote:
Just finished Before I Fall

I really enjoyed Before I Fall :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

"The Yellow Birds" on audiobook. It's about a soldier in Iraq, and his return post-deployment after combat, his friend dying, etc. Good so far. I keep telling myself I don't like war novels, but so far I this one is riveting, and Matterhorn is one of my favorite books of recent years.

Also reading "Stone Butch Blues" for book club, but I had to take a breather from that one because the plot is just too filled with horrifying abuse and awfulness. It is so amazing that there are people alive, younger than my parents, who went through this kind of treatment from their families and police. I just end up in total despair at how forking cruel people can be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I just got a kindle book on the Cascadia fault zone. I read a great non-fiction thriller about that fault a few years ago (Saving Cascadia by John Nance).

Actually, I've forgotten about Nance. He wrote another good one about smoke jumpers. He is a retired pilot and all or most of his books have something to do with flying airplanes or helicopters. I remember his geology was pretty decent, at least until I got hooked into the plot and stopped being critical.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:24 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I'm reading When She Woke and it's fantastic! If you liked The Handmaid's Tale I reckon you'd like it. It's, frankly, horrifying and maddening and I can't put it down!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:30 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I also just bought this: http://www.amazon.com/My-Beloved-Bronto ... in_title_0

I'm seriously annoyed by the no lending crepe for so many Kindle books. The lending thing isn't even that generous anyway--ONCE for a lousy two weeks. My dad would also love this, but I really didn't want to buy the hardcover because the last thing we need around here is more books to take up space. I sure as heck am not buying two kindle copies. Publishers really seem determined to make ebooks as inconvenient as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:32 am 
Discovered unobtainium

j-dub wrote:
I'm reading When She Woke and it's fantastic! If you liked The Handmaid's Tale I reckon you'd like it. It's, frankly, horrifying and maddening and I can't put it down!

That sounds good. I added to my wish list. My mint.com app has already sent me a nagging email about excessive spending on books this month.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:43 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Now reading Divergent

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:50 am 
Nailed to the V

I read The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery while walking home from the store yesterday. I love everything about this book and I buy every used copy I can find to give away to friends. It is one of those books that only takes 45 minutes to read, has cool pictures, and it is masked as a kid's book yet totally profound.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:35 am 
WELFARIST!

j-dub wrote:

Oooh, will have to look into this.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

lavawitch wrote:
I also just bought this: http://www.amazon.com/My-Beloved-Bronto ... in_title_0

I'm seriously annoyed by the no lending crepe for so many Kindle books. The lending thing isn't even that generous anyway--ONCE for a lousy two weeks. My dad would also love this, but I really didn't want to buy the hardcover because the last thing we need around here is more books to take up space. I sure as heck am not buying two kindle copies. Publishers really seem determined to make ebooks as inconvenient as possible.

I know! Don't get me started on when the ebook is more expensive than the paper book. I start to consider paying a small premium for not having more STUFF around, and it's like they're trying to jog my memory into remembering that o yeah there's this place where you go and they let you borrow books for free.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 223  Next