| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 217  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

About to start the last book in the Matched trilogy, but I really like these books and I'm putting off starting it because once I start I know I'll finish it quickly and then the trilogy will be oooovvvveeeeeerrrrrrrr....

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:18 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

rachell37 wrote:

Anyway, re: Bring Up The Bodies, I loved it! I can't wait for the sequel. I might try to read more books by Hilary Mantel and see if they're as compelling.

I haven't read any of her others either, but I did listen to Beyond Black when it was serialised on the radio a couple of years ago, and that was really good.

I am really looking forward to the sequel as well. There is a TV programme about Cromwell on next week that I'm going to watch to see whether I like the historical Thomas as much as the fictional one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin ... -viii.html

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:41 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm still on Wolf Hall, and I'm finally starting to get into it a little (I'm about half-way through).

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jogirl wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

Anyway, re: Bring Up The Bodies, I loved it! I can't wait for the sequel. I might try to read more books by Hilary Mantel and see if they're as compelling.

I haven't read any of her others either, but I did listen to Beyond Black when it was serialised on the radio a couple of years ago, and that was really good.

I am really looking forward to the sequel as well. There is a TV programme about Cromwell on next week that I'm going to watch to see whether I like the historical Thomas as much as the fictional one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin ... -viii.html

Ooh, that looks good. I'll have to remember to catch it on the iPlayer. Judging by the blurb, it seems to align with how Mantel portrays him.

ndpittman wrote:
I'm still on Wolf Hall, and I'm finally starting to get into it a little (I'm about half-way through).

TBH, I found Wolf Hall a bit harder to get into because, as mentioned upthread, there are so many bloody characters. I think it actually had fewer pages than ButB, but it took me longer to read because of that. It definitely picks up speed as you start to remember who everyone is.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

All this Wolf Hall chatter has me tempted, but I just checked out the Amazon preview, and it appears to be written in the present tense. Is it really?

I cannot suffer through 600+ pages of present tense. I hate, with a violent passion, novels that are written in the present tense. I've mostly only encountered this in thriller (Iles, Cornwell), but really can't imagine it in a historical novel.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:37 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
All this Wolf Hall chatter has me tempted, but I just checked out the Amazon preview, and it appears to be written in the present tense. Is it really?

I cannot suffer through 600+ pages of present tense. I hate, with a violent passion, novels that are written in the present tense. I've mostly only encountered this in thriller (Iles, Cornwell), but really can't imagine it in a historical novel.

I completely inderstand your trepidation. the only way I can think of explaining it is, Hilary Mantel just writes SO beautifully that you will forger!. I loathe the present tense thing in thrillers, but it actually does work herel

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Saladin: Hero of Islam by Geoffrey Hindley.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:36 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I got the Sun's Heartbeat by Bob Berman. So far, I'm loving it--got sucked in and the first 50 pages went by in a flash. It's full of wonderful, random Sun related trivia like why fire trucks are lime green.

Most of the science I already know from having read about it in much more technical sources, but this seems fun and informative all the same. Lots of tie ins to history, politics, biology and mythology.

Berman is a longtime columnist for various astronomy magazines, so he both knows his stuff and is pretty good at translating complicated science to an interested lay audience without really watering it down. Not that he is a Tyson deGrasse (who i?!), but I recommend this if you are interested in solar science, stars, and especially how they intersect with us on Earth. Books about how earth science or astronomy has influenced history are my favorite.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm about halfway through The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins. I think it was recommended in this thread! Either way, I'm enjoying it.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:07 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jogirl wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I completely inderstand your trepidation. the only way I can think of explaining it is, Hilary Mantel just writes SO beautifully that you will forger!. I loathe the present tense thing in thrillers, but it actually does work herel

I think that is part of what has taken me so long to get into it. That and just referring to Cromwell as "he". I'm not sure if that makes sense. Probably related to the number of characters and the fact that most are male. I guess I also didn't realize Cromwell was the main character at first, and that makes a difference as well, especially as I like him best.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I think she sorted that in ButB because there's a lot of "he, Cromwell" instead of just "he". It was a lot easier to follow.

Oh yeah, and I loved it so much that I didn't even realise it was written in present tense.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:34 am 

ndpittman wrote:
jogirl wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I think that is part of what has taken me so long to get into it. That and just referring to Cromwell as "he". I'm not sure if that makes sense. Probably related to the number of characters and the fact that most are male. I guess I also didn't realize Cromwell was the main character at first, and that makes a difference as well, especially as I like him best.

I just wanted to apologise for the typos in my post - I was very tired and left it too long to edit!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:02 pm 

Just finished the latest Sookie (which was great) and have started A Perfectly Good Man by Patrick Gale. I really enjoyed Notes From An Exhibition so I'm hoping this is as good.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'll have to get the Sookie then. I thought the last book was a slog. I usually get the audio books because the narrator is so awesome, that I just ended up listening to most of them instead of reading.

I've been reading romantic suspense--the Tracers series by Laura Griffin. I really like them, for the most part. Her plots are stronger than the romance element, which I'd prefer over the reverse. Her forensic science is decent and interesting. She isn't Kathy Reichs or anything, but these are supposed to be a bit fluffier than that. If anything, she kind of reminds me of a less intense, not military Suzanne Brockmann.

Almost finished Sun's Heartbeat. Loving it! It's the kind of book that is perfect for reading a chapter or two at a time, and it's fairly light, but also very engrossing. If you love astronomy, pop science books, and lots of trivia, get it! I had not really thought about why emergency vehicles are lime green before, much less how it relates to the wavelengths of light emitted by the sun.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:29 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Halfway through "Silver Linings Playbook"- it was only $5 on iBooks, which is so cheap for a book these days. I'm very much enjoying it!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:01 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just finished Beyond Belief. I thought it was interesting, though often repetitive. She would end a chapter with a fairly specific description of an event, then would often begin the next chapter with the same extensive description. I felt as though many of the chapters were written at different times, not necessarily consecutively, and then seamed together into a book.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finished Children of Dune last night - then spent about 2 hours reading A Father's Story by Lionel Dahmer from cover to cover. Totally not sensationalist or anything, just a man trying to understand what happened, and trying to analyse himself, and what he sees as his own dark side.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:02 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am reading a book called "crush it!" my brother gave to me. About starting a business about something you like..

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:41 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Now that I've safely passed my comps - W00T! - I can justify a short break, and start tackling the pile of novels that's been stacking up these past few months. First up: the highly recommended Black Swan Green by David Mitchell, followed by what looks like a crazy Victorian novel about the Lancashire Witches. Fun!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Rena's Promise

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:15 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I finished Paper Towns by John Green on my break this morning. It had a lot of similarities with Looking for Alaska, which I also loved.

I restarted reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods today. I got a little over a third of the way through earlier this year, but I couldn't get into it. I was reading it on my phone while I was reading the Song of Ice and Fire series on my Kindle and watching Supernatural at the same time, and I was having a hard time keeping them all straight. Too many fantasy roadtrips at once, I guess. Since I already have the background of the first third of the book, it should be much easier going this time.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I finished the last Tracers book at work tonight (we were doing monthly progress testing). Now I need something new. I can't believe I read all 7 in just a few days. I guess my inability to concentrate only applies if it isn't fluff. Sad, but I don't know how to get my brain back.

So, not sure if I want more romantic suspense, thriller, or straight mystery. Maybe a good political/spy thriller as long as its nothing WWII or nazi related.

Can anybody explain why Dan Brown is so popular? He can't write and other authors write similar books that are actually good (James Hank Rolo, for one). I lost brain cells reading Deception Point.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

lavawitch wrote:

I had no recollection of this, but I just went and checked on Kindle and yes, it does seem to be in the present tense!! I think I got used to it quickly, though, because I thought her writing was so compelling.

Reading it on Kindle I actually found that I had to print a copy of the family tree and hang it up next to where I was reading the book.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:51 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My reading just jumps all over the place, because I am too easily distracted.

On various planes I read the new David Sedaris ("Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls"), which had its hilarious moments like any Sedaris..As always his observations on travel and living abroad were the best bits. I don't think he'll be doing any favors for China's tourism industry, but it was good. As usual I didn't care nearly as much for the more fictional/geared towards oration bits. Overall it was excellent plane reading.

Also got about 1/3 through "Rabbit is Rich"... and while stuck in Seattle I hit Elliott Bay Books and picked up two short story collections, Rajesh Parameswaran's "I am an Executioner" and Steve Almond's "God Bless America." Started bits of each, they seem promising.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just read an awesome YA book in (maybe even less than) 24 hours. It's The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (although I read a German translation), and here's what it does, in as few words as possible: It reminds the reader to never cease being amazed at the world. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 217  Next