| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 223  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I am reading Gulp by Mary Roach. I love love love her books and this one is super interesting, as expected. Given the subject matter there are some parts that reference animal research and tests that are obviously uncomfortable to read, but it hasn't spoiled the book for me or anything.

After I finish this I have my eye on the newest David Sedaris book.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Fee wrote:
Finished The Handmaid's Tale and it was great, as I expected.

Finished The Fault In Our Stars, which I thought I wouldn't like because I didn't know when I bought it that it was about 16 year old kids with terminal cancer and hey, that's depressing stuff, but I liked the writing voice. Gilmore Girls-esque. Like the Girlmore girls with cancer.

Now I'm reading A Game of Thrones. For someone who is only lukewarm about the show, this is a risk. A time consuming risk.

Fee, will you let us know how you like Game of Thrones? I don't watch the show but I hear such great things about both it and the books, and I downloaded the sample, but i'm still unsure....

I downloaded Mystic River for 4.99 on the Kindle. It had been so long since I had seen the movie I thought it would be like reading it anew, and it was. I have to say, I really really liked this book. The characters were well-written and much more interesting and complex than they came off in the movie.
This shouldn't be a surprise, but sometimes movies manage to get it near-right. I also recently read Gone Baby Gone (same author, Dennis Lehane) and actually liked the movie a lot better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just finished An Everlasting Meal, which was fantastic, (although there were some meat-y parts I just skimmed over) great ideas and concepts.

I'm now about halfway through The Personal MBA. So far, so good. Great info, very concise. Really useful!

But those are both non-fiction, so to balance, I'm picking up Sauce Ciego, Mujer Dormida - the Spanish translation of Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami. Love his writing, need to brush up on my Spanish, and I'm interested to see what the translation is like.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I love the Game of Thrones books - I've read them all and it's such a compelling universe :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm still reading Deaver. I've slowed down a bit, so after I finish Vanish Man, probably time to take a break on those. I'm also reading computer books. I don't know what to start with--photoshop, illustrator, flash, or objective-c. I'm piling my mind too full of ideas that I've made myself stuck. I hate it when I do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:41 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I am reading Madame Bovary for book club. I am not into it. Can't wait to finish.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:05 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm just finishing up the final installment of John Scalzi's The Human Division (he released as a serial e-book, and I fell behind).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:35 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Yesterday:
J. M. Coetzee, The Lives of Animals

Today:
J.L. Carr, A Month in the Country

Tomorrow:
I should start on some of the bazillion articles I've downloaded for project Thinking About Thinking About My Dissertation Prospectus, but I may let this fiction groove carry on for a few more days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:47 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I am on a YA kick.

I just finished: What We Keep Is Not Always What Will Stay - Amanda Cockrell. I liked it! I picked it up for the sugar skulls on the cover but it was a good 'real' read with a tiny bit of questioning fantasy thrown in.

Reading now: The Nature of Jade - Deb Calleti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:14 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Just started Dog Sense: How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make You A Better Friend to Your Pet by John Bradshaw. So far it's really interesting!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I am currently finishing Manon Lescaut which is a strange little book. I am enjoying it and like how it is written but the story is ... I dunno, not really a love story. I am reading it for a course on Coursera.

Before that was When Worlds Collide and After Worlds Collide both of which I loved more than I probably should have. People eating sandwiches in space? That happened.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

Still loving the Richard Burton diaries. Am about halfway through. He's an amazing writer. Not just okay, but quite amazing. Like, I think the world missed some serious literary contributions when he decided to go into acting, but he's a great actor too. He mentions how he aspires to write books and in fact loves books and words more than any other artistic discipline and it shows. Anyway, if you enjoy celebrity diaries, this one is about as good as it gets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Sarah-Jane wrote:
I am currently finishing Manon Lescaut which is a strange little book. I am enjoying it and like how it is written but the story is ... I dunno, not really a love story. I am reading it for a course on Coursera.

Before that was When Worlds Collide and After Worlds Collide both of which I loved more than I probably should have. People eating sandwiches in space? That happened.

Follow it up with the Puccini opera! I love the Jose Cura recording, but there is also a very good Pavarotti/Freni recording too. The Cura is sexier.

I liked Manon, but really could never get into or finish Clarissa. We read it in French class eons ago. I picked it up again a few years ago and realized that I remember depressingly little French.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Has anyone read We Need to Talk About Kevin? I'm only about a fifth of the way through, but geez, this book is putting me through a weird emotional wringer. I'm not sure where to post about this book: here or in the Women Who Have Chosen Not to Have Kids thread. The mother is very honest and frank retelling her emotions and reasonings, pro and con, for wanting to have a kid in the first place and a lot resonates with me, and I'm not sure this is a good thing...

Anyway, like I said I'm nowhere near done with the book but wonder if it affected any other PPKers like this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

lavawitch wrote:
Sarah-Jane wrote:

Follow it up with the Puccini opera! I love the Jose Cura recording, but there is also a very good Pavarotti/Freni recording too. The Cura is sexier.

I liked Manon, but really could never get into or finish Clarissa. We read it in French class eons ago. I picked it up again a few years ago and realized that I remember depressingly little French.

Oh opera!

I do really like this book but it seems I am having the opposite problem to everyone else. They all seem to love Des Grieux but dislike Manon! I think Des Grieux is super manipulative and doesn't seem to care as much about Manon as he does about being full of "passion" and being superior to everyone else. Manon is pretty straightforward and honest with him about what she wants and he seems to just ignore her and make everything terrible for them both!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:13 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

emmalv wrote:
Has anyone read We Need to Talk About Kevin? I'm only about a fifth of the way through, but geez, this book is putting me through a weird emotional wringer. I'm not sure where to post about this book: here or in the Women Who Have Chosen Not to Have Kids thread. The mother is very honest and frank retelling her emotions and reasonings, pro and con, for wanting to have a kid in the first place and a lot resonates with me, and I'm not sure this is a good thing...

Anyway, like I said I'm nowhere near done with the book but wonder if it affected any other PPKers like this.

I haven't read it but I've seen the film and it...was really disturbing. And interesting.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

j-dub wrote:
emmalv wrote:

I haven't read it but I've seen the film and it...was really disturbing. And interesting.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't going to be a light read, but I'll see how it progresses (I haven't seen the movie). It just is grabbing me with the ideas of a) what a parent in this situation must go through and b) the brutally frank writing about motherhood and feminism (in this character's eyes).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I forgot to mention that I finished Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It was pretty good, but I really like that type of story. The only thing that irritated me was the incongruous tangents, such as the bit about the black debutante ball. It was interesting to read about, but it felt jarring in the middle of the discussion about a murder trial.

I'm now reading In the Midst of Life, which is a book about death/dying. It's interesting - I wish it had been written while I was doing my dissertation. The only problem is that it's written by Jennifer Worth, who wrote the Call the Midwife books that turned out to be partly fictional, so I can't really trust the truth of the stories. Also, there's a bunch of religious stuff. But I'll get over it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:00 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The Horologicon: A Day's Jaunt Through the Lost Words of the English Language by Mark Forsyth

Do you wake up feeling rough? Then you are philograbolized.

here is his blog - http://blog.inkyfool.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finished In the Midst of Life. I was with it up to the point where she started talking about how it's basically the fault of secularism that death is so medicalised and therefore no longer peaceful, etc., while at the same time whinging about Dignitas because it seems creepy or some such.

Next up is Number9dream - David Mitchell's first novel. I've both loved and not really cared for his stuff, so I'm hoping I like this one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:27 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

emmalv wrote:

I've read this book and it's incredibly dark but in my opinion is very well written with a gripping plot. I think it talks about a lot of issues which are widely ignored, such as women who don't feel they do just love their offspring naturally as society suggests they should. Interviews with the author, Lionel Shriver, are often very interesting too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm listening to the audio of North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Fee wrote:
Finished The Fault In Our Stars, which I thought I wouldn't like because I didn't know when I bought it that it was about 16 year old kids with terminal cancer and hey, that's depressing stuff, but I liked the writing voice. Gilmore Girls-esque. Like the Girlmore girls with cancer.

Ha!

missmuffcake wrote:
I just finished: What We Keep Is Not Always What Will Stay - Amanda Cockrell. I liked it! I picked it up for the sugar skulls on the cover but it was a good 'real' read with a tiny bit of questioning fantasy thrown in.

I just added it on Goodreads and my first thought was the cover is so you ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:14 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Persistance: All Ways Butch and Femme. I'm just a few pages in and it is already SO good.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:29 am 
Nooch of Earl

emmalv wrote:

Yes.. I've read a bunch of Lionel Shriver, and I used to think she was right up there with Lorrie Moore as one of my favorite living American authors, but lately her work seems to be dropping a notch with each book. I haven't read the one that's about to come out, but the blurbs make it sound incredibly sizeist.

Anyway, "Kevin" is very thought provoking and as someone who ultimately decided to have a child despite strong ambivalence on the issue, I can relate to that part.. but the way she describes her children is really unrealistic. It's nice to see someone explore the topic, though, because I don't think it very often is, and if you like that one you might find her earlier book "Game Control" thought provoking as well. She describes them as looking at the decision to have children on two different scales.. Kevin is very personal but Game Control looks at the issue at a population level.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Halfway through God Emperor of Dune - only two more books to go!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 223  Next