| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 210  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:16 am 
Tofu Pup

Currently, I'm enjoying Those Who Went Remain There Still by Cherie Priest, and because it's a monster book and I have a tendency to have bad dreams or think I'm seeing scary things when the lights are out, I'm reading Tina Fey's Bossypants after dark, which is delightful so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

annak wrote:
emmalv wrote:
Has anyone read We Need to Talk About Kevin? I'm only about a fifth of the way through, but geez, this book is putting me through a weird emotional wringer. I'm not sure where to post about this book: here or in the Women Who Have Chosen Not to Have Kids thread. The mother is very honest and frank retelling her emotions and reasonings, pro and con, for wanting to have a kid in the first place and a lot resonates with me, and I'm not sure this is a good thing...

Anyway, like I said I'm nowhere near done with the book but wonder if it affected any other PPKers like this.

Yes.. I've read a bunch of Lionel Shriver, and I used to think she was right up there with Lorrie Moore as one of my favorite living American authors, but lately her work seems to be dropping a notch with each book. I haven't read the one that's about to come out, but the blurbs make it sound incredibly sizeist.

Anyway, "Kevin" is very thought provoking and as someone who ultimately decided to have a child despite strong ambivalence on the issue, I can relate to that part.. but the way she describes her children is really unrealistic. It's nice to see someone explore the topic, though, because I don't think it very often is, and if you like that one you might find her earlier book "Game Control" thought provoking as well. She describes them as looking at the decision to have children on two different scales.. Kevin is very personal but Game Control looks at the issue at a population level.

Thanks, Annak. I'll check out Game Control. This is the first book I've read by her and was wondering if any of her other works compared...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:14 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Northanger Abbey. I'm trying to read all Jane Austen, and it's awesome that it's all available online for days I have not much too do at work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just finished Arcadia by Lauren Groff, I picked it up because it was about a vegan commune in the 60s in New York told from the prospective of the first child born there. I really wanted more about commune life and his integration into mainstream society but then it jumped to the future.

Are there any books anymore where the future isn't bleak as shiitake?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

Library Looking-Glass by David Cecil

wonderful small pieces about ... well, everything ... he talks about 'Doing Good', 'The Heroic', 'Moon' and 'The Object of Life' ....

once our Poet Laureate and the father of Daniel Day-Lewis ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

teacup wrote:
Library Looking-Glass by David Cecil

wonderful small pieces about ... well, everything ... he talks about 'Doing Good', 'The Heroic', 'Moon' and 'The Object of Life' ....

once our Poet Laureate and the father of Daniel Day-Lewis ...

That was C. Day-Lewis. David Cecil was a historian and academic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:41 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Anek wrote:
Northanger Abbey. I'm trying to read all Jane Austen, and it's awesome that it's all available online for days I have not much too do at work.

I read Northanger Abbey for my A level English course about 9 years ago and enjoyed it, but not as much as I usually love Austen. However, I read The Mysteries of Udolpho, which is the book she is parodying, after and it made me appreciate it much more.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sarah-Jane wrote:
Anek wrote:

I read Northanger Abbey for my A level English course about 9 years ago and enjoyed it, but not as much as I usually love Austen. However, I read The Mysteries of Udolpho, which is the book she is parodying, after and it made me appreciate it much more.

I hadn't thought about reading Udolpho, but have now added it to my to-read list.

Yesterday I listened to The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, and now I've started the audio book of Bossypants by Tina Fey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

I am due to return the Richard Burton to the library Saturday and I still have 200+ pages to read--of small print and he writes economically so not a quick read. Argh. I guess I'll just have to pay overdue fines till I finish the book. I don't see me being able to spare the time to read the last 200+ pages before Saturday though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Kitteh wrote:
Sarah-Jane wrote:
Anek wrote:

I hadn't thought about reading Udolpho, but have now added it to my to-read list.

Yesterday I listened to The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, and now I've started the audio book of Bossypants by Tina Fey

If you haven't read it already, start with Walpole's Castle of Otranto to get into the gothics. I love gothic novels.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm currently working through Joyland by Stephen King

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 am 
Nailed to the V

Kitteh wrote:
Yesterday I listened to The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

You kinda have to read that for all the pictures. That book is one that I try to read at least once a year. I love it.

Even though I am deep into 3-4 books right now, I watched Lost in Austen the other night and it made me put everything on hold and dive headlong into Pride and Prejudice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm reading The Inexplicables by Cherie Priest.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindly Kaling - the audio version was so, so good. I loved this book!

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
Yesterday I listened to The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

You kinda have to read that for all the pictures. That book is one that I try to read at least once a year. I love it.

I have a copy and read it as a child, this was a re-read via audio

Jonny Guitar wrote:
I watched Lost in Austen the other night

I started watching that this week, too! I'm up to ep 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 am 
WELFARIST!

I just ordered Ava Gardner: The Secret Conversations from the liberry!

I know I said I have 200+ pages to read on the Burton book, but it was actually 300+ pages I had yet to read and I've been trying to read it as much as I can and it's due today and I STILL have 200+ pages to read and I'm starting my own writing again next week which knocks my spare time for leisure readin' down considerably. I'm on page 400 of the book so I'm going to return it, put it on hold for myself again, it should cycle back to me in a couple of weeks and I'll pick up where I left off. I feel bad that other people are eager to read it and will probably be able to finish it in a shorter time than I can so Imma return it today.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Just finished We Need to Talk About Kevin. It for sure is one of the better books I've picked up recently. Really dark and heavy, but I couldn't put it down. Now I have to decide between the 12 or so samples I downloaded in terms of what's next...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just finished The Round House, I really liked it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just gave up on Number9dream. I got about 1/4 of the way through and still wasn't entirely sure what was going on and didn't care about the main character.

I'm trying to decide if I should start Seraphina or leave it until I get back from holiday and start on one of my Kindle books.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:08 pm 
Tofu Pup

Currently reading Pardonable Lies (the 3rd book in the Maisie Dobbs Series) by Jacqueline Winspear.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:07 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Just finished listening to Devilish by Maureen Johnson. I was interested after her coverflip thing. It was really good, especially as an audiobook because the voices are done in different accents and that's adorbs. It was a little predictable, though, and very much a teen book. Not that I dislike that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:01 am 
Nailed to the V

I am reading 'Star of the Sea' by Joseph O'Connor ... fiction about the Irish sailing off to North America in 1847

when out and about reading one of P G Wodehouse Blandings novels on my Kindle ... he makes me laugh out loud ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:08 am 
Chip Strong

I'm reading The Essential Dykes To Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel. I love graphic novels and political cartoons so I can't believe she's passed me by all this time! I've also got Fun Home and Are You My Mother? of hers to read next.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:25 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Fee wrote:
Just finished listening to Devilish by Maureen Johnson. I was interested after her coverflip thing. It was really good, especially as an audiobook because the voices are done in different accents and that's adorbs. It was a little predictable, though, and very much a teen book. Not that I dislike that.

That was my first book by her, too.

Super name drop warning: check out the dedication in the book. It's dedicated to my husband.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You're the reason I read Maureen's books, IJDI!

I'm listening to the audio of A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

lavawitch wrote:
If you haven't read it already, start with Walpole's Castle of Otranto to get into the gothics. I love gothic novels.

Thanks, will do!

rachell37 wrote:
I'm trying to decide if I should start Seraphina or leave it until I get back from holiday and start on one of my Kindle books.

I've heard such goods things about this book

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:33 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

that's awesome kitteh! I hadn't read YA since I was a teen before I met Maureen. Then I read Devilish and I've been pretty hooked on YA since then.

I have The Diviner's by Libba Bray sitting around, but it's SO big that I hate bringing it in my bag to work, so I haven't started it yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 210  Next