| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 223  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm reading Charlaine Harris' Aurora Teagarden series. I'm not sure what to make of them; they are "cozy" mysteries, but actually kind of boring. I keep reading them anyway. Weird.

It is hard to believe this is the same author of the Sookie books. There might be some small similarities in how she likes to describe day to day tasks, but her style evolved quite a lot in between.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:46 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I just finished The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson and I loved it. I haven't read too many murder mysteries (and like none that involved ghosts) that I really liked but this one was great and a very easy and suspenseful read. I'm going to get the next one in the series ASAP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:56 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm reading Portrait of an Unknown Woman, and I'm enjoying it so far. More Tudor England. I might have to pick up a Prayer for Owen Meany next though! (The Simon Birch revelation got me excited; [hangs head in shame].)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:32 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Breakfast of Champions- Kurt Vonnegut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:22 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns for the second time. The first time I read it I couldn't remove myself from it, the second time round it's just the same. It's got to be one of my favourites.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:02 am 
Inflexitarian

One Green Field - prose pieces by the poet Edward Thomas

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/collections/thomas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:43 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

VanillaDoe wrote:
I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns for the second time. The first time I read it I couldn't remove myself from it, the second time round it's just the same. It's got to be one of my favourites.

I love that book, I found it so moving. I haven't read anything else by Khaled Hosseini yet, but I really must.

I've just started 'Half of a Yellow Sun' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - I'm only about 30 pages in and am struggling with some of the references to Nigerian geography, language and culture, but I'm enjoying the characters and writing, so hopefully it will all start fitting into place soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Just finished "Churchill's War Lab" about the technological advancements made during the war. Really good.

now on to "Meet you in Hell", the story of Carnegie and Frick.
It's good so far but I'm thinking I need a really good novel.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Randomly got Into the Wild from the library, and it was incredibly well crafted. I hate to race about a book with such sad subject matter, but I think it's my favorite Jon Krakauer. Still working through Portrait of an Unknown Woman, too. It's OK, but not incredibly compelling.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm supposed to be reading Zorba The Greek but I'm really put off on the misogyny. I can't see Zorba as this great guy who has it all figured out when he's talking about women like they're cattle. So I'm reading The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:10 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom

π

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 am 
Nailed to the V

Shy Mox wrote:
I'm supposed to be reading Zorba The Greek but I'm really put off on the misogyny. I can't see Zorba as this great guy who has it all figured out when he's talking about women like they're cattle.

This is interesting. I read that when I was 20 and absolutely loved it and Zorba -- I obviously didn't get the misogyny. As a 20 year guy, in 1988, I was pretty male-centric so I wouldn't even of known what to look for. I should revisit it because I have an obviously skewed image of it. Thanks for sharing this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:24 am 
Nailed to the V

ndpittman wrote:
Randomly got Into the Wild from the library....

Man, I totally love that book. I try to reread it every couple of years. I think of him like I think of the hippie movement: so much of the foundation and ideals were perfect for me but the implementation and logistics failed badly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:23 am 
Inflexitarian

At work I have been reading bits of John Kinross's Discovering England's Smallest Churches ...

I am an atheist but we have some astonishingly beautiful churches here ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:40 am 
WELFARIST!

Shy Mox wrote:
So I'm reading The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood.

When I was in school, I had this tradition for a time of reading The Robber Bride every time I finished my last exams in May. Love that book! It's one of those Of Human Bondage type books where I'm in love with about 400 pages of it, but about 200 pages, I could do without. Although I don't think the BOOK could do without it but just when re-reading, I skip to my very favorite parts. And in both those books, there's about 400 pages of favorite parts! <3

Still slogging through the Ava book. It's due tomorrow so I'mma flash finish it tonight. I dunno, not an illuminating portrait. The author fixates on these (to me, inane) phrases of hers and doesn't succeed in making her interesting at all when I'm sure she could be. She had a reputation of being a great quipster and come-backer but I'm getting none of that from this book. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're a sucker for any tidbit of old Hollywood lore like me and willing to comb through it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Blood Meridian. It was absolutely outstanding. Sooo gory and violent, but McCarthy really knows how to evoke a scene. Some of the shoot-outs were pretty much playing in my head like a movie I might have seen. I loved it.

I'm now reading Real World by Natsuo Kirino. It's pretty good, and a really quick read.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Finished all 9 of the Aurora Teagarden series books. I'm not really sure why I read all of them this week since I can't even say I particularly liked them. Weird.

I sort of want a new cozy mystery series to read. Hopefully a better one! Any suggestions? Probably a newer one because I used to read them like crazy, so have probably read all the usual suspects.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:57 pm 
Grandfathered In

rachell37 wrote:
I'm now reading Real World by Natsuo Kirino. It's pretty good, and a really quick read.

Have you read any other books by her? I really liked Grotesque, but was a little bored by Out. Do you think I'd like Real World?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

After reading about how much people liked A Prayer for Owen Meany I got it out of the library.

Still have to finish my Leonard Cohen bio. The beginning was interesting but in the he book I'm up to where he's become famous internationally and it's gotten dull.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
I'm supposed to be reading Zorba The Greek but I'm really put off on the misogyny. I can't see Zorba as this great guy who has it all figured out when he's talking about women like they're cattle.

This is interesting. I read that when I was 20 and absolutely loved it and Zorba -- I obviously didn't get the misogyny. As a 20 year guy, in 1988, I was pretty male-centric so I wouldn't even of known what to look for. I should revisit it because I have an obviously skewed image of it. Thanks for sharing this.

I think if I read it when I was younger, I'd probably glance over it too, or be uncomforrtable but dismiss it as "it was the times". I stopped shortly after Zorba talks about how his Bolshevik friend raped women, and how they liked it because women like rape apparently, and I know there's a whole chapter on women coming up so I need a break.

seitanicverses wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
So I'm reading The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood.

When I was in school, I had this tradition for a time of reading The Robber Bride every time I finished my last exams in May. Love that book! It's one of those Of Human Bondage type books where I'm in love with about 400 pages of it, but about 200 pages, I could do without. Although I don't think the BOOK could do without it but just when re-reading, I skip to my very favorite parts. And in both those books, there's about 400 pages of favorite parts! <3

I'm really enjoying it so far! Its one of those books I'm actually reading slowly so I can absorb it more. Plus I'm hoping it'll last me until MaddAddam comes out!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:05 am 
Inflexitarian

re-reading Angela Thirkell's Barsetshire novels ... on the 3rd ... Wild Strawberries ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

FootFace wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

Have you read any other books by her? I really liked Grotesque, but was a little bored by Out. Do you think I'd like Real World?

I liked Out but didn't like Grotesque, and I didn't love Real World. So if you liked Grotesque more than Out, I think you'd like Real World.

I'm now reading the official/authorised Depeche Mode biography. On one hand, I like band/music bios, but on the other, I find it really off-putting when they talk about how much better they are/were than [other band in a similar genre]. I really feel that it's possible to talk about how groundbreaking and awesome the music is/was without slagging other bands. You know, just don't continue the parts of the sentence that contain phrases like "unlike [other band]". I mean, I get why, immediately after Vince Clarke left DM and formed Yazoo, they made a lot of comparisons to Yazoo (especially since they had a hit with "Only You", which he'd offered to DM before recording it with Yazoo). But comparing them to Duran Duran (the most frequent comparison in the book) in hindsight is just shallow and unnecessary, especially because I don't really see them in the same category.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Fee wrote:
I just finished The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson and I loved it. I haven't read too many murder mysteries (and like none that involved ghosts) that I really liked but this one was great and a very easy and suspenseful read. I'm going to get the next one in the series ASAP.

Yay! I'm keen to hear what you think of book 2

I'm still going with Middlemarch - it's a long audio book but I'm enjoying it. In the car I'm listening to an Agatha Raisin mystery: As the Pig Turns (I picked this audio book because Penelope Keith narrates it), and I'm reading Torn by David Massey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

Under the Bridge - The True Story of the Murder of Reena Virk by Rebecca Godfrey. Good so far. Well-researched. The whole teenage thing is kind of annoying, though--being in the mindset of teenagers. It rings true and authentic and good job on the part of the author but their mindset annoys me. It's because I'm getting old.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The Outsiders by S.E Hinton (via audio book)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 223  Next