| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 220  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:48 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

elouise wrote:

I recently finished The Cuckoo's Calling and Oranges are Not the Only Fruit, and now I'm reading Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.

If you enjoyed Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit you might like Jeanette Winterson's memoir, Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?, which I loved.

(edited for spelling)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:58 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just finished The Maze Runner. I really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:33 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Started The Time Traveler's Wife. Seems good so far, and sad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:33 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

seitanicverses wrote:
Yeah, Nabakov is a razzledazzlemattaz kinda writer. Just amazing. I saw a lecture once where a prof said something to the effect of Nabakov (never sure if I spell his name right--it's those a/o's between first/second syllables that throw me in names like his), if he were a tennis player, he'd be returning the ball through his legs and doing all kinds of tricks--not just volleying back and forth to get the job done. That's how he writes. He's also quite the logician, methinks (in real life he was into chess mastery and hugely into insects--particularly butterflies if I remember correctly), and has layers and layers of meanings hidden under whatever his stories seems to be about (I was especially struck by this when I read his short story Signs & Symbols).

I love this and totally agree! Almost all of my fellow creative writing students had most of the first paragraph of Lolita memorized, and we felt so sheepish and predictable when that was discovered in the grad society pub over pitchers of beer. As we did. Often.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I took a film and literature course and Lolita was one of the books. I'd read it before but this time the only library copy I could get was an annotated one and it added so much for me that I'd missed the first time.

Now I want to read it again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:56 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm reading The Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman and also The Hidden Reality by Brian Greene. Both are good so far, in their own right!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:53 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Anansi Boys is great! I just started reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished The Orphan Master's Son. I really liked it. It made me want to read some non-fiction about North Korea to see how much of it is true.

Next up is Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (The Bloggess). I've heard good things about it, so I hope it's good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:56 pm 
Chip Strong

Just started Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

π

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

lunchboxmonkey wrote:
Anansi Boys is great! I just started reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

That one is on my wish list! Almost done with Anansi Boys, still enjoying it!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:57 pm 
Grandfathered In

rachell37 wrote:
I finished The Orphan Master's Son. I really liked it. It made me want to read some non-fiction about North Korea to see how much of it is true.

Start with Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick and The Aquariums of Pyongyang by Kang Chol-hwan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

FootFace wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

Start with Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick and The Aquariums of Pyongyang by Kang Chol-hwan.

I was just going to say Nothing to Envy. Best non-fiction book I've ever read. I will check out The Aquariums of Pyongyang if I ever get through my current library books!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I finished A Prayer for Owen Meany. I cried at the end. On the subway.

Now I'm reading A Cold and Lonely Place by Sara J. Henry.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:53 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

blondiefk wrote:
I finished A Prayer for Owen Meany. I cried at the end. On the subway.

I've read it several times now and I still cry at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:56 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

FootFace wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

I read The Aquariums of Pyongyang recently, it was really interesting and horrific, but not as good as Nothing to Envy in my opinion.

I've just read Wild by Cheryl Strayed, and was rather underwhelmed by it. I found her rather annoying, not least due to her total lack of preparation for the trail. She writes very honestly, but I didn't find her especially likeable, which is always a drawback. My next book is going to be The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:52 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Katherine Mansfield: The Memoirs of LM

Mansfield is my favourite writer ... I read this years ago but thought I would read it again ... do many of you have books that you re-read? I have about half a dozen which seems a bit of a waste of time since we have hundreds here I have yet to read for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:55 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Reading Christian Nation, and I'm not that into it, but like any horror novel, I'm compelled to keep reading.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:16 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

[quote="blondiefk"]I finished A Prayer for Owen Meany. I cried at the end. On the subway.

oh dear, oh dear ... if I have read that book once I have read it ... well, only about 4 times but
I keep resisting picking it up again when I realised why I was doing repeat reads ... I realised
that I subconsciously thought that this time it would end differently!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

A Prayer for Owen Meany is a 2.99 Kindle download, in case anyone is interested. I read the comments upthread and thought maybe I was in the mood for a good cry, so that's next on my list to start.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:32 pm 

I'm reading City of Bones. I expected to really like it because well, it seems like everyone does. I'm about half way through and I dunno...I can't really get into it. The way she describes all the weird sexual tension between Clary and Jace is annoying. It may just be that I am annoyed with teenage antics at the moment. Like, there's a scene when Clary does her hair up and then Jace is like "no" and takes the pins out of her hair letting it fall down her back. I think that is supposed to sound sexy in a book or a movie, but in reality I'd be so pissed if someone just undid my hair. what the fizzle! I think I'm just really unromantic. All these descriptions of his ripply arms just skeeve me out. I'll finish it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to read more of the series.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:57 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

ijdi I loved all things Cassie Clare but ever since the movie casting I've just been off of my love for them. I think that, with the exception of the first book, that the prequel Infernal Devices series is better. I'm still a fan, but by the time she's done there's going to be like . . . a dozen or so books plus novellas - that's a lot of investment. 3 in the prequel series, 6 in mortal instruments, and then there's going to be a follow up series.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. It's about a college student who's a fanfiction writer who basically lives in her fanfic world, and she heads off to college and (basically) finds a life. It's pretty good so far but I prefer the same author's book "Attachments" which alternates chapters - there'll be a chapter of emails between these 2 best friends discussing their lives, and the other chapters are about the IT guy who is in charge of reading company emails. It's pretty great.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:00 pm 

wow, that's a lot of books! I didn't really know what I was getting myself into.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:13 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Yeah it's a serious time investment and lots of waiting. The follow up as of yet unstarted series is basically about the kids of current (as according to the MI series) shadow hunters + humans + whatevers. I mentioned it because it's one thing to push yourself through one book, but a series, especially that one, may not be worth the time commitment.

Also, I like book boys I wouldn't ever like IRL.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I also preferred Infernal Devices. I actually read the first one of those before the Mortal Instruments.

The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon. I have only read a couple of pages so I'm not sure if I like it yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 220  Next