| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 214  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:53 pm 
Dead by dawn

vijita wrote:
I can't be the only one reading MaddAddam, can I? It's so good!

I just bought it today, but I think I will reread Oryx and Crake and Year of the Flood first. For maximum Atwood enjoyment. And then I will seek out The Robber Bride, which I have not read yet.

I get a ton of my book recs from this thread and just sort of keep a running list of stuff to read.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

emmalv wrote:
FootFace wrote:
I usually pick my books by going to the library and seeing what looks interesting.

See, this sounds like what a sane person would do. But me, I get there and am overwhelmed if the search is too free form, meaning I don't have a specific book, author, or genre in mind. So my method is to wander to an aisle that is not crowded and grab books based on the cover art, read the first page, rinse repeat. If the title seems like it could be snarky, I usually will give that the first page read. I rarely read the jacket.

Now that I have a kindle it is an entirely different book selecting process and I have yet to develop my method. Sigh. Stupid vast interwebz with all of its overwhelming choices and info.

I dunno, I remember being crippled by decisions whenever we got the flyer for the Scholastic book order.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:36 am 
Tofu Pup

Cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:37 am 
Tofu Pup

monkeytoes wrote:
vijita wrote:

I just bought it today, but I think I will reread Oryx and Crake and Year of the Flood first. For maximum Atwood enjoyment. And then I will seek out The Robber Bride, which I have not read yet.

I get a ton of my book recs from this thread and just sort of keep a running list of stuff to read.

That's so classy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:37 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

blondiefk wrote:
Anek wrote:
I discovered Elizabeth George the other day, a colleagues had given me some of her books and after ignoring them for more than a year I am now pretty hooked. I was up till 1am last night because I just want to know what happens! Which is why I normally just re-read books I know and love before bed, alas.

She's one of my favorite mystery writers though I haven't been able to get through the latest.

I love the Lynley books, but I read her first YA book recently and was not at all impressed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Re: finding a book to read - I started my list with book recommendations from friends and this list on the old boards. I added to it when someone mentioned liking something (usually from this thread) or from looking for similar reads to what I liked. Now I have a Goodreads account, and I've added LOADS of stuff that was recommended based on my ratings etc (and some of it has been quite good). As far as how I decide what to read next, I either read whatever I found at the library (since that has a time limit) or whatever I most recently downloaded onto my Kindle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:04 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I usually pick my next book from this thread or something a Goodreads friend recommends. I have certain people that if they review a book highly, I immediately add it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:22 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Currently reading "The Fault in Our Stars." So good! Also, WHY do I always skip ahead when I regret it every time???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I finished The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman last night (and loved it! It took awhile to read, though.) and started The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry today.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm about halfway through A Dance with Dragons. I've read it before but felt it was time for a reread of the series. I really want to reread Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood next then get MaddAddam, but I've had a friend's rough draft of her first novel sitting on my coffee table for a month and I feel really bad I haven't gotten to it yet. I just love Arya and Tyrion too much.

I used to get lots of great book recs from this thread, but now I work in a used book store where it's impossible to not end up with a huge reading list. We can put books on hold and keep them on a shelf in back until we actually purchase them and my shelf is completely full.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:59 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Making an effort to read some classic Sci Fi that I haven’t read before.

First up: The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, c. 1974. The story is set in 3017 of Pournelle's CoDominium universe, and documents the first contact between humanity and an alien species, the Moties.

For Kindle users – I was happily surprised to see the Kindle rates for many classic books from the 70’s – 80’s. The Mote in God’s Eye was $2.68 US.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm reading Tom Perrota's Little Children: A novel. Its about suburbia types and what happens when a child molester is released from prison and moves in with his mother in the neighborhood. I'm liking it so far.
Padraign, thanks for the tip. I love hearing about the Kindle deals. a) see upthread about my indecision buying books, a condition somewhat in opposition to b) the fact that I give Amazon entirely too much money on books.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:56 am 
***LIES!!!***

monkeytoes wrote:
vijita wrote:

I just reread year of the flood and maddaddam just downloaded to my reader! I am in the middle of something else, though, so it will be a couple weeks before I get to it. I am excited!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:28 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I have a huge Goodreads TBR list which I compile based on some favorite book blogs (like annareads.com) and I'm a huge fan of Epic Reads ( a division of Harper Collins ) marketing team, these two hysterical ladies named Margot and Aubry - they have a weekly internet video chat where they talk about upcoming books - and I pick a lot of the books they suggest (which are HC books, of course). I also follow a bunch of the authors I like on twitter and FB and pick books they suggest.

missmuffcake wrote:
Fault in our Stars - have tissues ready!

I just need everyone to go read John Green. TFIOS is good, but my favorite is Will Grayson, Will Grayson. It's about two teenagers in the Chicago area who have the same name and how their lives intersect. The audiobook is amazeballs as well, and I don't do audiobooks.

SchwaGrrrl wrote:
Currently reading "The Fault in Our Stars." So good! Also, WHY do I always skip ahead when I regret it every time???

I totally did it with that book because I had to know what to expect so it wouldn't blindside me and make me weep harder.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:44 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Padraigin wrote:
Making an effort to read some classic Sci Fi that I haven’t read before.

First up: The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, c. 1974. The story is set in 3017 of Pournelle's CoDominium universe, and documents the first contact between humanity and an alien species, the Moties.

For Kindle users – I was happily surprised to see the Kindle rates for many classic books from the 70’s – 80’s. The Mote in God’s Eye was $2.68 US.

Do you have more recommendations for classic sci fi? I never know what's worth reading.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:26 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Only about 50 pages in, but I'm enjoying it greatly so far.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:41 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

MaddAddam has a detailed recap of YOTF and O&C, for those of you who just want to jump in! I was flying through MaddAddam at first and now I'm force-pacing myself because I never want it to end.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:54 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

vijita wrote:
MaddAddam has a detailed recap of YOTF and O&C, for those of you who just want to jump in! I was flying through MaddAddam at first and now I'm force-pacing myself because I never want it to end.

Oooh, I was planning on re-reading them first, but this might change my plans!

I've just read 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' after all the recommendations on this thread. What a great book! The ending was foreshadowed throughout the whole novel, but I just kept hoping that somehow it wouldn't happen.

I also read 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' which was not so impressive. It was supposed to show a young German boy's loss of innocence in the war, but it just didn't work for me at all. The main character, a 9 year old boy, was presumably meant to come across as charmingly naive, but he just seemed unrealistically oblivious. Added to that the complete lack of historical accuracy, and it was just a very frustrating read. Some reviews I read suggested it was intended more as an entry point to Holocaust literature for young adults, but I read Anne Frank in my early teens and Elie Wiesel recently, and I think either of those would be much more suitable. Children and young teenagers don't need to be pandered to or have the Holocaust turned into a cutesy fable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Finally finished The Robber Bride, which I liked but probably wouldn't say its one of my favourites by Atwood. I think maybe there's a generation gap on the view of the war between the sexes. Still I got super attached to the characters, which is always something.

I'm reading She Came To Stay by Simone de Beavoir, I thought it would be a great book for while I'm in school, because if I got MaddAddam now I'd be neglecting my school readings...but I ended up reading She Came To Stay all evening >.> Whoops.

I haven't read anything by de Beavoir save for excerpts from The Second Sex that are in my Gender Studies text books, but I really need to change that. Apparently the book is based on her relationship with Sartre, and its really heartbreaking to read.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jennyc wrote:
vijita wrote:

I've just read 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' after all the recommendations on this thread. What a great book! The ending was foreshadowed throughout the whole novel, but I just kept hoping that somehow it wouldn't happen.

I also read 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' which was not so impressive. It was supposed to show a young German boy's loss of innocence in the war, but it just didn't work for me at all. The main character, a 9 year old boy, was presumably meant to come across as charmingly naive, but he just seemed unrealistically oblivious. Added to that the complete lack of historical accuracy, and it was just a very frustrating read. Some reviews I read suggested it was intended more as an entry point to Holocaust literature for young adults, but I read Anne Frank in my early teens and Elie Wiesel recently, and I think either of those would be much more suitable. Children and young teenagers don't need to be pandered to or have the Holocaust turned into a cutesy fable.

Huh, is that what its about? I remember my early introduction to the Holocaust was through Number The Stars by Lois Lowry, and The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen. I remember the latter being brutal but in a way that looking back was age appropriate. I think I read Anne Frank at a young age too. Its funny because they were mandatory reading but I remember my principal reaaaaaally downplayed the Holocaust when we were talking about WW2, like he wanted to spare us. He didn't even mention that Jews were the majority of the victims, he just said it was over religious denominations.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:04 am 

Shy Mox wrote:
jennyc wrote:
vijita wrote:

Huh, is that what its about? I remember my early introduction to the Holocaust was through Number The Stars by Lois Lowry, and The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen. I remember the latter being brutal but in a way that looking back was age appropriate. I think I read Anne Frank at a young age too. Its funny because they were mandatory reading but I remember my principal reaaaaaally downplayed the Holocaust when we were talking about WW2, like he wanted to spare us. He didn't even mention that Jews were the majority of the victims, he just said it was over religious denominations.

Spot on jennyc regarding The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Shy mox, it's a little boy who is the son of someone high in the Nazi regime or something, some kind of commander, and they move to a mansion outside of a concentration camp. The little boy wanders to the fence, and makes a friend his age on the other side who is wearing "striped pyjamas".

The boy is the narrator, and it's more like he's a 4-year old with different mispronunciations and whatnot (eg. I believe he refers to Hitler as The Fury, instead of the fuehrer).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:35 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

ndpittman wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

Spot on jennyc regarding The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Shy mox, it's a little boy who is the son of someone high in the Nazi regime or something, some kind of commander, and they move to a mansion outside of a concentration camp. The little boy wanders to the fence, and makes a friend his age on the other side who is wearing "striped pyjamas".

The boy is the narrator, and it's more like he's a 4-year old with different mispronunciations and whatnot (eg. I believe he refers to Hitler as The Fury, instead of the fuehrer).

Yes, and he calls the concentration camp 'Out-With' instead of 'Auschwitz'. That doesn't even work in German! A few months ago I read 'The Book Thief' for my book club and someone suggested that 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' was in a similar vein, but I just felt it was a massive disappointment.

Today I started 'How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia'. So far I'm enjoying it, though it reminds me very strongly of 'The White Tiger' by Aravind Adiga.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:34 am 

@jennyc they are similar except that The Book Thief is amazing and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is not.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:28 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just checked out the new Salinger biography from the library, but now that I have it in my hands, I'm not sure that I want to read it. The formatting is so....odd!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:00 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

blondiefk wrote:
Do you have more recommendations for classic sci fi? I never know what's worth reading.

I had the same challenge - so many choices. In addition to reading more books by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, I've decided to go waaay back in the Science Fiction short story classics (1930's-1970's).

Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume One
http://www.amazon.com/Science-Fiction-H ... 0765305372

Before I do the purchase, I'm checking to see e-book availability through archive.org or Project Gutenberg for the individual stories:

"A Martian Odyssey" by Stanley G. Weinbaum
"Twilight" by John W. Campbell
"Helen O'Loy" by Lester del Rey
"The Roads Must Roll" by Robert A. Heinlein
"Microcosmic God" by Theodore Sturgeon
"Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov
"The Weapon Shop" by A. E. van Vogt
"Mimsy Were the Borogoves" by Lewis Padgett
"Huddling Place" by Clifford D. Simak
"Arena" by Frederic Brown
"First Contact" by Murray Leinster
"That Only a Mother" by Judith Merril
"Scanners Live in Vain" by Cordwainer Smith
"Mars is Heaven!" by Ray Bradbury
"The Little Black Bag" by C. M. Kornbluth
"Born of Man and Woman" by Richard Matheson
"Coming Attraction" by Fritz Leiber
"The Quest for Saint Aquin" by Anthony Boucher
"Surface Tension" by James Blish
"The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C. Clarke
"It's a Good Life" by Jerome Bixby
"The Cold Equations" by Tom Godwin
"Fondly Fahrenheit" by Alfred Bester
"The Country of the Kind," Damon Knight
"Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes
"A Rose for Ecclesiastes" by Roger Zelazny

It is amazing how many of these classic short stories were turned into movies and tv shows like Nightfall, Star Trek etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 214  Next