| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 210  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm reading Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined " and while it's fascinating the whole "men exist for..." and "women exist for.." thing irritates me so much. It's always in this "sorry folks, that's biology!" tone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

teacup wrote:
I am sitting at work and until a moment or two ago I was reading

Clouds of Witness ... Dorothy L Sayers

it is lunchtime here, I am not just loafing with my Kindle next to me in an open drawer ... oh, now that I think of it, that is a good idea ...

I was actually thinking of picking up that exact book (I do like Sayers a lot but haven't read all that many) for when I'm done with Camera Obscura by Lavie Tidhar, which is my current read.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:35 am 
Seagull of the PPK

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I'm reading Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined " and while it's fascinating the whole "men exist for..." and "women exist for.." thing irritates me so much. It's always in this "sorry folks, that's biology!" tone.

i picked that up a few weeks ago and didn't have time to read it before it had to go back. still worth reading, do you think? i love pinker but he does tend to pontificate, doesn't he.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm only on page 200 but I'm mostly liking it so far, even when I don't agree with him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:05 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Madd Addam was my least favorite of the trilogy. I devoured Oryx and Crake and Year of the Flood, but had a harder time getting into the third book. I still enjoyed it, but my biggest issue was the amount of time spent talking to the Crakers. I grew really tired of that style of story-telling very quickly. That being said, I loved learning about Zeb and Adam, and thought it rounded out the series very nicely to focus on them.

I also finally finished The Fault in Our Stars. My grandmother died when I had 20 pages left and I just couldn't bring myself to finish it for awhile. I don't think I've ever cried harder when reading a book.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Nebraska - I'm sorry about your grandmother, it's probably good you put TFiOS down for a while.

I'm listening to Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just finished MaddAddam, and honestly, meh. It just kind of fizzled out, I wonder if she struggled writing it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:21 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Ariann wrote:
jennyc wrote:
jogirl wrote:
Currently I'm reading Bones are Forever by Kathy Reichs, but I picked up In Cold Blood from the library today (on the recommendation of this thread!) and I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope you enjoy 'In Cold Blood'!

I'm just going to pick up Kate Atkinson's 'Life After Life', after being on the library waiting list for ages. Has anyone read it? I've heard good things about it, and really hope it lives up to the hype.

Yes, I loved it. Love everything she writes, but that one was particularly good.

Ariann, what did you make of the ending of 'Life After Life'? I'm still struggling to put it together. I found three of the 'lives' a bit confusing (I'll spoiler it just in case anyone is planning to read it):
Spoiler: show
the one where Izzie's child grows up with them, the one where Sylvie finds the scissors and says "Practice makes perfect", and the one where Teddy says "Thank you". From the Sylvie one, I took it that everyone else is also living their life over and over and trying to get things right. That could conceivably fit in with either Izzie or Sylvie creating a life in which they didn't give away her son. But what about Teddy saying "Thank you"? Surely he would be busy trying to save his own life, and would be unaware that his sister had the ability to do the same thing. Did Ursula actually do something to save him? It seemed like in the life where she killed Hitler she was also killed in the process, so it doesn't seem like that was the act that saved Teddy (and we know in that life there was a war, whether or not Hitler was the leader of Germany at the time).

I'd love to hear other opinions on it to help me make sense of it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:19 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I've been reading a bunch of books about the Appalachian Trail. Just finished Skywalker, it was good but AWOL on the Appalachian Trial was better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm reading Virginia Wolfe's Orlando. It's significantly more accessible than anything else I've attempted to read by her and quite enjoyable so far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:15 am 
Chip Strong

ilovemydogs wrote:
I've been reading a bunch of books about the Appalachian Trail. Just finished Skywalker, it was good but AWOL on the Appalachian Trial was better.

Have you read Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods? That's about walking the Appalachian Trail as well, and very funny.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:38 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Gulliver wrote:
I'm reading Virginia Wolfe's Orlando. It's significantly more accessible than anything else I've attempted to read by her and quite enjoyable so far.
I love it so much; it's probably my favorite Woolf novel. "We are, therefore, now left entirely alone in the room with the sleeping Orlando and the trumpeters. The trumpeters, ranging themselves side by side in order, blow one terrific blast: 'THE TRUTH!'"

Have you see Jane Campion's film with Tilda Swinton? It's very good, and visually stunning. (Quentin Crisp as Queen Elizabeth I alone is worth the price of admission!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107756/

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:14 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Imogen wrote:
ilovemydogs wrote:

Have you read Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods? That's about walking the Appalachian Trail as well, and very funny.

I read it about 10 or 12 years ago, I love Bill Bryson. I'm just not in the mood for funny books right now but yeah it's still on my bookshelf and I remember it was pretty hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:09 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

This week I read two collections of short stories: 'Between the Assassinations' by Aravind Adiga and 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Both collections primarily concern the home country to the writers (India and Nigeria, respectively). I loved Adiga's novel 'The White Tiger', so I'd expected to find 'Between the Assassinations' similarly funny and biting. However, I just couldn't warm to it at all. All the stories were set in the same town over a seven year period in Indian history, and I just found them a bit disheartening - every story seemed full of corruption, misery and loss of innocence, there was no warmth or love or hope.

'The Thing Around Your Neck', on the other hand, was brilliant. The stories were mostly split between Nigeria and America and dealt with issues like immigration, marriage and African history. Even though a lot of these stories also deal with hefty and unpleasant issues, Adichie writes about them in such a moving way and there's so much strength in some of her characters. I strongly recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. So far I'm loving it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm reading Dash & Lily's book of dares.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just finished Satan's Circus. I can't believe it, but it made me sympathise with a dirty cop. And it was a true story! It was really good. It covered a lot about police corruption, machine politics and the Manhattan underworld from 1890ish - 1915ish, which was really fascinating.

I think I'm gonna read some Cormac McCarthy next. Mmm, violence.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just got a great book called Abominable Science, by Donald Prothero. It's all about cryptids like Bigfoot and Nessie, etc, but it's from a real science perspective (it's published by Cornell University Press). I got it in hardback because it's also a very pretty book, so I didn't want the kindle version.

I haven't had time to read much yet, but I'm excited. Science and cryptids are two of my favorite things. I tend to get annoyed at the pop Sci cryptid books since, as much as I want to Believe, I just don't. Not really.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:21 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Just finished "The Swerve: How the World Became Modern." I think I randomly bought it when I was looking for new audio books and just went through the award winner lists (it won a Nat'l Book Award in 2011 for nonfiction).

It was interesting, though I thought anchoring it around the Poggio story of recovering the text made that part a little drawn out. It did give me a better understanding of epicureanism, of which I really knew nothing beyond what circle of hell Dante placed them in, and I think that as part of a broader work about inquisition history and such it could've been better.. but on the whole it was pretty fascinating to learn about 14t-15th century Italy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I finished The Namesake this morning and started Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman, mainly because I just got a Kindle and it was the first book out of several that I looked at from the library that was actually available to check out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I listened to The Perks of Being a Wallflower. A good book.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just finished Typhoid Mary: Captive to the Public's Health by Judith Walzer Leavitt. I checked it out on recommendation from Hark A Vagrant, and it was really good! Definitely sympathetic to Mary Mallon and its amazing how much misinformation about her circulated, even by scientists and historians.

Since its October I think I'm going to read some horror, so I started From A Buick 8 by Stephen King.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:40 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

The House On Mango Street. It is perfect, true, poetic, and amazing in ways I never expected. I have discovered a new favorite. It's going on my non-existent Must Read list. So read it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:00 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It was absolutely beautiful, and I loved everything about it.

Agreed about The House on Mango Street.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 am 
Nailed to the V

The Means of Escape - Penelope Fitzgerald

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 210  Next