| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 210  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Kathryn Patterson was a total bisque years ago. When I was in 7th grade, I was my school district grade level winner in a state wide writing competitiondas I got to go to the big event and she was the keynote/main attraction since her books were some of the ones we had to write about (there were also timed essay and trivia contests there, with prizes).

She was so unfriendly to all us kids and refused to autograph any of her books. She also only brought hardcover versions of her books, so most of us couldn't afford to buy any for her to sign. She was also the only author there who refused to take student questions or talk to kids after her speech.

I best remember Ouida Sebastien; she was awesome. There were about 10 top authors there and the other 9 were amazing, supportive, sweet, and seemed to actually like kids. KP was a pill. I've hated her books ever since.

ETA: jeez, don't I still sound bitter?! I was going through horrible rough times and had looked forward to this event for months. My little 12 your old heart was crushed.

You know who is awesome to fans though? Ann Rice. That woman is amazing. When I met her she signed anything and everything even for people who didn't buy anything and stayed an extra 3 hrs to be sure she signed and met everybody. Her handlers were getting pissy but she ignored them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's a shame. Jacob Have I Loved is one of my favorite books.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm listening to Watership Down by Richard Adams - I have vague memories of the animated movie but I've never read the book

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:50 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Quote:
one of dog's nicknames is Grunter S Thompson!

Not sure why that's making me as happy as it is but I love it. Even better than a guy I know. His dog's called Noam Chompsky.

As much as I love Vegas, the Campaign Trail book has so much more intelligence behind the insanity. Have you ever read his first 'Gonzo' arrticle? About the Kentucky Derby?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

AnnieB wrote:
Have you ever read his first 'Gonzo' arrticle? About the Kentucky Derby?

if you read this, and then David Foster Wallace's piece about the Indiana state fair (or the cruise, for that matter) right in succession, it's most amusing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:05 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Quote:
if you read this, and then David Foster Wallace's piece about the Indiana state fair (or the cruise, for that matter) right in succession, it's most amusing.

Oh thanks for that, never heard of it. Something to read after work. I got a collection of selected Rolling Stone articles Thompson wrote recently (I mean I bought the book recently). He manages to write on something as boring to me as football and make it interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:12 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i am a huge Thompson fan, and not so much a DFW fan, but felt a need to read some of his work. i have no patience for his fiction but parts of "A supposedly fun thing i'll never do again" really reminded me of gonzo. Not the same kind of rocket-fueled total abandon, but pleasantly reminiscent. [if you are a tennis fan, a mathematician, or a pedant, you might enjoy more parts of it than i did, there was a lot of skipping involved....]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:33 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

jogirl wrote:
A friend bought me Why Buffy Matters: The Art of Buffy The Vampire Slayer by Rhonda Wilcox. It is really, really interesting so far.

Just finished this, which I absolutely loved (although non-obsessive Buffy fans might not enjoy it).

I'm about to start The End of Faith by Sam Harris, which was another present. I don't know anything about him so I have an open mind on this one.

(edited for grammar)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Not sure what I want to read. Bigfoot is good, but not holding my interest today. I need something fluffy because I'm hurting kind of a lot and need a good distraction without expending any brain power.

I think I've read 10 pages of 20 different books today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:13 am 
WRETCHED

I signed up for a historical fiction class on Coursera, I'm not sure I'm keeping it but I do like me some historical fiction.

I decided to start reading Game of Thrones and... I haven't figured out the attraction yet. If people hadn't said they enjoyed it, I would've given up already but I will push through to see if I like it.

I recently read American Gods which was interesting but not sure if it is my cup of tea. It makes me feel like a prude but the beginning of the book had a good deal of cussing which put me off initially. It was ok though and yes I know it added to the realism of the book (someone just out of prison and all that..)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I forgot to mention that I finished Beloved. It was a bit strange, though I guess it was meant to be (considering the plot).

I also read The Mind's Eye, which was OK. It's the first in a Scandinavian police procedural series. It was pretty dated, since it took place in the 90s. I haven't quite decided if I want to read the next in the series.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to read a non-fiction crime or The Sisters Brothers. I'm a terrible person and got sucked in by the cover.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:21 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh and goodreads somehow hates me. It tells me because I have a Facebook account and I didn't sign up via Facebook, I can't add anyone on good reads that did sign up via Facebook. What? I have to figure out why it hates me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

VeganinBerlin wrote:
According to my psychologist, and i agree, I need to find something "light" to read. But Im a bit at a loss here.

I don't like crime, I dont normally like "happy" romance, I don't think most of supposedly "funny" books actually are funny. I love non-fiction books but most doesn't make me feel happy either. Most of my actual interests sort of depress me too: animal rights, feminism, human rights, history, politics, food/health,economics,war... I guess maybe I need more books about language(s)?...?

I guess I need to broaden my horizon and move away a bit from the classics and contemporary "literature literature".

VeganinBerlin, you mentioned economics as an interest; have you ever read the Freakonomics books? I really like economics as a topic as well, and those books were just fun reads, despite being non-fiction (not that non-fiction is necessarily boring, but I get how it can be depressing based on the topic). They took the underlying principle of economics (mainly the concept of incentive) and apply it to a bunch of not-necessarily economic topics. I found them pretty interesting (and the first one is better).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm reading Vengeance in Death by JD Robb. I really like this series.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Me too. I have no idea how she does it--so many books and most of them are really good police procedurals. You would think the faux futurism (a lot of the tech is either silly or already outdated, like having everything in disc) and romance aspects would start to get tedious, but, nope.

I'd be devouring the new one if I hadn't just gone through half the series on audible during my commute. I burned out at the start of Vision in Death, so I'll give them a break for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:20 am 
Flounceiad 2011

AnnieB wrote:
Quote:
one of our dog's nicknames is Grunter S Thompson!

Not sure why that's making me as happy as it is but I love it. Even better than a guy I know. His dog's called Noam Chompsky.
I can't stop laughing at this. Also: someone should have a dog named Bob Barker!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i need to start keeping a list, because every day i find myself saying at least once "my next dog is going to be named XXX". Of course it never works that way (like when we saw Nacho Libre we knew he was some version of Jack Black in dog form and needed to be named accordingly). But still, I want to just look at that list and chuckle every day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

emmalv wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
According to my psychologist, and i agree, I need to find something "light" to read. But Im a bit at a loss here.

I don't like crime, I dont normally like "happy" romance, I don't think most of supposedly "funny" books actually are funny. I love non-fiction books but most doesn't make me feel happy either. Most of my actual interests sort of depress me too: animal rights, feminism, human rights, history, politics, food/health,economics,war... I guess maybe I need more books about language(s)?...?

I guess I need to broaden my horizon and move away a bit from the classics and contemporary "literature literature".

VeganinBerlin, you mentioned economics as an interest; have you ever read the Freakonomics books? I really like economics as a topic as well, and those books were just fun reads, despite being non-fiction (not that non-fiction is necessarily boring, but I get how it can be depressing based on the topic). They took the underlying principle of economics (mainly the concept of incentive) and apply it to a bunch of not-necessarily economic topics. I found them pretty interesting (and the first one is better).

I read the first one but I didn't really like it. I thought it simplified too much (and it also got some things wrong). But these "kind" of books are normally right up my alley.
Right now I'm reading a book by a german music journalist who interviewed the rolling stones, the who, the clash, etc. Its mostly just interview. So far I got angry only once (when the author & mick jagger agree that guys just take music "more seriously") and now I know Charlie Watts is likeable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I just finished 'The Universe Versus Alex Woods'. I had to read it for my book club, but kept putting it off because I'd heard it described as "quirky" and that really deterred me. However, I really enjoyed it! The first half of the book is quite similar to 'About A Boy' and then it goes in quite a different, more serious direction.

Now I've got to get cracking on 'Carried Away', a collection of Alice Munro short stories that's due back at the library on Friday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:21 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Perk of being awake since 4:30am: finally finishing MaddAddam. Not sure what's up next...I need something light. Maybe since it's Halloween-y time, I will start reading Wicked? My to-read list is pretty long, but a lot of it is dense stuff that I just can't handle right now.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:44 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Currently reading Chasers by James Phelan. Will probably start insugent by Veronica Roth next

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

-Betraying Spinoza, the Renegade Jew that Gave us Modernity by Rebecca Goldstein
-Leviathan by Hobbes
-A People's Tragedy, The Russian Revolution 1891-1924 by Orlando Figes
-Gathering Evidence, -Thomas Bernhard's memoir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I finished The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker about a week ago and I'm still depressed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

linanil wrote:
Oh and goodreads somehow hates me. It tells me because I have a Facebook account and I didn't sign up via Facebook, I can't add anyone on good reads that did sign up via Facebook. What? I have to figure out why it hates me.

Odd! I hope you get it sorted - I don't used fb to sign in and I don't have my fb account connected to Goodreads in any way.

I just listened to Stories I Only Tell my Friends by Rob Low and Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster by Kristen Johnston.

I'm about to start The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I recently read American Gods because nearly everyone I work with (at a bookstore) loves it and I felt left out. I liked it well enough but didn't love it and turn into an instant Gaiman fangirl. I am glad I read it though. Now I'm about two thirds of the way through Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell because I love me some 19th century chick lit. Next up is Dirt Work by Christine Byl who was just on a panel at a book festival event I went too. It's about working a trail crew in Glacier and Denali. So I'll want to do nothing by hike and read about the wilderness when I'm done with it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 210  Next