| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 224  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I am finishing up the bio of Steve Jobs that I started ages ago and didn't finish. Not for any particular reason--it's really good and has some funny stories in it, but I just fizzled and moved on, as I do. I almost always go back and finish later though.

I'm starting Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman.

I'm also looking for a good bio of Marilyn Monroe. Seitanic--any recommendations here? I want a good, solid one, not a lurid tabloid style one full of conspiracy theories.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

Right now, Dracula.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just realized the new Jo Nesbo came out today and I preordered it so it appeared on my Kindle app so I'm reading that now. So excited to read it! I reread the one before it in preparation!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh! Thanks for reminding me. I'll add that to my list. I'm over budget on books for this month, so I can't buy any more until November.

I'm trying to stick to an actual budget because I am making ~$400/month more this year by working every day (after spending a fortune on gas). If I had enough for my basic expenses plus the occasional bottle of luxury nail polish before, I should be able to enjoy a few extra luxuries and still save a lot, right? Especially since my poor car is nearing the end of its long and productive life. My creative budgeting might need some work though. I am justifying extra audiobooks as a gas/commuting expense. I'm hooked on Kinsey Millhone books for that now. Sue Grafton is pretty amazing--she is another that has kept her series and character fresh through a whole string of books. I think I like Kinsey more each book.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

lavawitch wrote:

ooh, i just got a book called "Going Clear", something about hollywood, scientology and the prison of belief. of course, i just got an avalanche of work so i won't be reading much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:01 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

ooh, i just got a book called "Going Clear", something about hollywood, scientology and the prison of belief. of course, i just got an avalanche of work so i won't be reading much.

Going Clear is a book I need to get again! Got it from the library, but hit a non-fiction wall. What I read was fascinating though. And I think it was recommended by Vantine?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ooh that's good to hear, i knew nothing about it. i only got it because i was looking at the new NF at the library and this guy starts talking about it. he was very odd but, a) it's the library and heaven knows they get odd ones and 2) sometimes you learn fun stuff from the odd fellows. then the librarian followed me to my car and said to just beware, "he is a predator". I asked if she meant "follow me to my car and kill me predator" or just the normal "eats rats" kind of predator and she said it meant that he was very opinionated and would eventually end up offending me. It seems our definition of predator is a bit different.... (#normaldayatthelibrary)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:00 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I was see sawing back and forth between the Reitman book and Going Clear. IS seemed to have more reviews saying that it was better written/better organized. Will see!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

LW, I assume you're on top of this, but the Alexandria library used to have downloadable audiobooks...

Reading update:
- started "The Childhood of Jesus" by Coetzee
- "The Interestings" on audiobook because everyone raves about it, and so far it is reminding me of my own life where I went to high school with a lot of people who went on to become hugely successful, while I turned out solidly mediocre
- "The Reason I Jump," because David Mitchell was really persuasive on the Daily Show, but while I'm sure it would be very revelatory to parents of autistic children, as someone raising a daughter who is basically the textbook opposite of autistic if there is such a thing, it's not holding my attention that well despite being really short.
- Still working on book 5 of the Song of Ice and Fire series.. I'll admit it, I'm having a hard time staying interested in it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I live in a tiny county with no reciprocity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:00 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I just finished one of Elizabeth George's books and while it was really good I am so annoyed that one obvious question was not answered/a horrible character was not shown the reality of what they were saying*, and also, the end was just defying all rules of good** crime story telling: you can't make a long book with suspicions on several characters and then make the real villain someone random that was never even on the suspect radar. Especially when the reasons for this villain to have committed the crimes is an age-old "who is my father" question which sounds like an excuse for finishing the book quickly. I would have appreciated a more in-depth resolution.

Now, for the next in the series.

*Yes, I get annoyed at characters and want to teach them a lesson.
**At least in my opinion of what makes a crime story good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

lavawitch wrote:

That sucks! If you work in the county though, maybe that will get you a card? My husband got to have an Arlington card because he worked at the Annex. But I don't know how common that is..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:26 pm 

Anek wrote:
I just finished one of Elizabeth George's books .

Which one? She's one of my favorites.

Just started In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Dr. Gabor Mate. It's nonfiction about addiction and addicts in Vancouver's east side. I'm going to see a lecture by him on Monday.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

annak wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

That sucks! If you work in the county though, maybe that will get you a card? My husband got to have an Arlington card because he worked at the Annex. But I don't know how common that is..

I hadn't thought of that. I'm a county employee, so maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

One thing I love about Sue Grafton is how thorough she is with loose ends. If Kinsey doesn't find out who the guy in the red jacket seen taking out the trash on Wednesday night 23 years ago, she will mention that she never found out, or if it was irrelevant, she finds that out too.

I also enjoy how much tedium Kimsey slogs through. Modern technology has us so spoiled, so it's kind of refreshing to read a series set in the 80s where the detective has go door to door, do courthouse records searches, etc. I'm on U is for Undertow now and am sad I'll be caught up with the series in another week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 pm 

LW you make me want to reread the Kinsey Milhone books. I left of at S I think? Maybe earlier. I want to start from the beginning though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:27 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Catalina wrote:
Now I'm about two thirds of the way through Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell because I love me some 19th century chick lit.

I've just started the audio book, I like it so far :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:45 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

blondiefk wrote:
Anek wrote:
I just finished one of Elizabeth George's books .

Which one? She's one of my favorites.

It was "In the presence of the enemy". I really like the way she writes characters, they come out of the pages with life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
I'm also looking for a good bio of Marilyn Monroe. Seitanic--any recommendations here? I want a good, solid one, not a lurid tabloid style one full of conspiracy theories.

Sorry, just saw this! Oh, no, I loathe the ones that bring up the Kennedy conspiracy theories and murder and whatnot and rely on sensationalism. Well, I slog through them for my own interest, even though I know they're bullshiitake. The one I recommend most and is (possibly? but who really knows) closest to seems like it might be a true picture is Barbara Leaming's biography from 1998. The source notes revealed she accessed a ton of primary source documents, letters and whatnot and she outlines what she used for each chapter in my copy. Marilyn Monroe by Barbara Leaming.

I miss reading. Actually, I might start rereading this myself this evening, now that you remind me. My copy is so dog-eared, it's in two parts with random loose pages coming out!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:38 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm about a third of the way through "Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton". Around this time of year I enjoy the odd seasonal book and I love her writing so it's pretty good - mainly very subtle though and not exactly bonechilling, but I'm enjoying it. Slightly off-topic though - this is the first "real" (meaning non-ebook) I've read in quite some time and I hate to say it but I'm starting to prefer reading on my kindle. I don't know how I feel about this, especially as someone who has a gigantic 7foot overflowing bookshelf.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

It still weirds me out that people enjoy reading ebooks. I mean, I get that it's more practical...

But I also always feel strange about everyone buying from amazon when it's such an evil company.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

How is Amazon more evil than anybody else?* My only other option is Barnes & Noble, and I got tired of them treating me like crepe years ago. Try going in there and asking for buying romance novels. They are generally rude snobs and don't stock romance very well. They are actually known for it. Nothing like Borders. When Borders closed, our local bookstores (and by local I mean a 100 mile radius, nit counting civil war or antique book dealers) dropped to zero for 6 mo ths until B&N took over the location.

There just aren't any little bookshops or used bookstores anymore. Half.com and eBay started that death. Once people could sell their books online, used store stock became awful.

I miss having a variety of lovely little bookstores, but those were almost all gone long before Amazon became a threat. We used to have Crown books here, and they were great, but then imploded on themselves in a spectacularly display of greed and family drama.

Not being able to browse for books any longer helped me switch to ebooks.

*not arguing their evilness, just wondering who or what the good alternative is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:58 pm 

I have a Sony ereader and you can buy books from independent booksellers and transfer them to the reader. It might also be possible to do this with a Kindle-I just got one today so I haven't explored that possibility yet. I can put library books on it I know.

I love ereaders. I was at the point that I needed large print books or I could only read for a little while (like 15 minutes) before my vision blurred and that's even more the case on my new medication. Ereaders allow me to make the text large enough that I can read easily.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:13 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
How is Amazon more evil than anybody else?* My only other option is Barnes & Noble, and I got tired of them treating me like crepe years ago. Try going in there and asking for buying romance novels. They are generally rude snobs and don't stock romance very well. They are actually known for it. Nothing like Borders. When Borders closed, our local bookstores (and by local I mean a 100 mile radius, nit counting civil war or antique book dealers) dropped to zero for 6 mo ths until B&N took over the location.

There just aren't any little bookshops or used bookstores anymore. Half.com and eBay started that death. Once people could sell their books online, used store stock became awful.

I miss having a variety of lovely little bookstores, but those were almost all gone long before Amazon became a threat. We used to have Crown books here, and they were great, but then imploded on themselves in a spectacularly display of greed and family drama.

Not being able to browse for books any longer helped me switch to ebooks.

*not arguing their evilness, just wondering who or what the good alternative is.

When it comes to the alternative part I keep forgetting most of the people on here live in the USA. I live in Germany and here we (still) have the same price on books everywhere, by law. My parents own a small bookstore and the shiitake amazon pulls is just insanely awful. I'm not sure what you mean when you ask how evil they are? Compared to other huge companies or with other booksellers?

I definitely disagree about the second hand bookshops. We got awesome once everywhere, but I do live in a huge city. I don't see how being able to sell them online, too, would make them worse?

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm talking about my metro area, of course. We used to have bunches around and I scoured them all for out of print mysteries, Egyptology nonfiction, and regency romances at least monthly. Once people started selling anything special online, the used stores just had piles of the latest best sellers. When the biggest one closed up, they said it was because they couldn't get good stock any longer. With the rise of eBay, people figured out that they could sell an old Mary Balogh for $20-50 instead of $1 in store credit, so the hidden gems no longer materialized.

The used store I worked in as a kid did ok because they were always half comic books, and that was the profit center for them anyway. He said the same thing.

The genre specific stores are still around, like the special mystery shops or the romance shops.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 224  Next