| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 215  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Catalina wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Now I'm about two thirds of the way through Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell because I love me some 19th century chick lit.

I've just started the audio book, I like it so far :)

I really liked it, though I forgot about the fate of the author and how that would affect the ending. That really caught me off guard, but I should have remembered. North and South will remain my favorite of hers.

I don't know what happened to Elizabeth, so I'll avoid googling anything until I'm done (7.5 hours into the 25.5 hour audio book). Also, I already dislike Mrs Gibson! And, I like North & South, too!

Star wrote:
Finished Insurgent 5 minutes ago (just in time for Alegiant) and loved every darn word, it was better than Divergent.
I won a book on Goodreads - Stay where you are and then leave by John Boyne ( who wrote The boy in striped pyjamas). I might read that whilst waiting for Alegiant.

Wow! I thought Insurgent was terrible, but Divergent was awesome (at least when I read it 2 years ago). I'm seeing pretty negative (1 star) reviews of Allegiant, I'm not surprised and I have super low expectations.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Kitteh wrote:

Star wrote:
Finished Insurgent 5 minutes ago (just in time for Alegiant) and loved every darn word, it was better than Divergent.
I won a book on Goodreads - Stay where you are and then leave by John Boyne ( who wrote The boy in striped pyjamas). I might read that whilst waiting for Alegiant.

Wow! I thought Insurgent was terrible, but Divergent was awesome (at least when I read it 2 years ago). I'm seeing pretty negative (1 star) reviews of Allegiant, I'm not surprised and I have super low expectations.

I have seen some really good and some really bad reviews of Alegiant but I'm going to read it this weekend anyway. I think I really liked Insurgent because of the answers that came at the end (I suspected the info would be withheld until Alegiant).

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:33 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Wow, that makes me feel weird about Allegiant. I'm probably going to read it this weekend, too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm going to an event this arvo and will get a copy, but I am pretty sure I have already been spoiled by vague comments on Goodreads. So avoid Gr, if you don't want to know ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:31 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy and Police by Jo Nesbo. I'm finding The Road difficult to get into.

Really all I want to read are the In Death series. Only twenty something to go!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:32 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I loved loved loved The Road. It was my first Cormac McCarthey book so the style threw me at first, and its very...grey... not an uplifting book, I'll give you that. However, it was one of those books that stuck with me after I was done and the more and more I thought about it, in a certain way it was one of the most heartwarming books I've read. Others who have read it might be all what the hell is she talking about, but I stand by that claim.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished both of the Alice books and The Crimes of Paris. Now I'm (re-)reading Dracula for the Coursera course.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:41 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Any suggestions for Halloween reading ? Spooky... suspense... and eeewww gross ....

On my Kindle so far....

Harbor – John Ajvide Lindvist
The Shining – Stephen King
Salem’s Lot – Stephen King

Ebooks from archive.org and http://www.gutenberg.org/

Carnacki, The Ghost Finder – William Hope Hodgson, 1912
Dracula – Bram Stoker, 1897
The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories - Algernon Blackwood, 1916
John Silence Stories – Algernon Blackwood, 1908
Legend of Sleepy Hollow – Washington Irving, 1820
True Ghost Stories – Hereward Carrington, 1915

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

rachell37 wrote:
I finished both of the Alice books and The Crimes of Paris. Now I'm (re-)reading Dracula for the Coursera course.

What's the course title? The reading list sounds like a course I took. Did you start with Grimm's Fairy Tales? I had to drop it because I went to work in the city without a computer but I liked what I took (which was basically only Grimm's!) I plan to take it again when I will be in one place long enough.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I've seen a lot of Halloween lists floating around.

I'm going to read Anne Rice's werewolf books; I haven't read her for a while. I first read her witches series by randomly picking it off a Halloween display and fell in love. She can be such a beautiful writer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

blondiefk wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

What's the course title? The reading list sounds like a course I took. Did you start with Grimm's Fairy Tales? I had to drop it because I went to work in the city without a computer but I liked what I took (which was basically only Grimm's!) I plan to take it again when I will be in one place long enough.

It's about sci-fi and fantasy, and yes, it started with Grimm. (The Paris book is just something I had out from the library and had to finish.) I'm not doing any of the coursework, just reading the books and following the lectures, but it's pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

rachell37 wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

It's about sci-fi and fantasy, and yes, it started with Grimm. (The Paris book is just something I had out from the library and had to finish.) I'm not doing any of the coursework, just reading the books and following the lectures, but it's pretty interesting.

That's the one! It has The Left Hand of Darkness as a book too if I remember correctly. I hope they give it again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 am 
Flounceiad 2011

torque wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
I know when I read Gulliver's Travels Swift Capitalized a lot of Words in Sentences which I'm not sure of the Purpose of (I think it's called Title Case rather than Sentence Case today--what he was doing), but was just a stylistic feature of the time he was writing in or how the written language happened to be evolving at the time he was writing. But yeah, sometimes you see eccentric punctuation or stylistic features in older writings as well that you don't see today like what you're seeing in Carroll's AiW. Perhaps modern English is being pared down and evolving to a less punctuated beast and the punctuation eschewers are setting that trend!

I do believe it is a Holdover from Antiquated European Language Styles which continues into Certain Languages I work with which shall remain Unnamed. It is the Bane of my existence and I thank Whomever Deserves My Thanks for shift+F3.
I have a friend who works on Swift, Fielding, etc., and she has dubbed it "Eighteenth Century Syndrome." It doesn't bother me in literature that was written in an era before properly standardized spelling and punctuation were widespread, but when my Twenty-first Century Students start Randomly Capitalizing words For no Apparent Reason it drives Me more than a Little Crazy. In terms of Carroll and his contemporaries, I admit to kind of loving all the weird punctuation - it's also important to remember that a lot of those choices might have been made by compositors in the interest of clarity, since they were working from manuscripts that often left room for question/interpretation. Additionally, many 19th century novels were first published in serial form, so there were often substantive differences between their earliest printed versions and later editions.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:03 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I finished The End of Faith by Sam Harris, which was challenging in places and very thought-provoking. I'm now nearing the end of Tudors, the second volume of Peter Ackroyd's history of England, which is wonderful, partly because he writes so beautifully. I have read a lot of non-fiction lately; I think it's time for something light and fluffy next.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:33 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

On the recommendation of a friend I just picked up When They Severed Earth from Sky : How the human mind shapes myth. I've only read 20 pages or so yet, but it seems interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:06 pm 
WRETCHED

Divergent is on my list of things to read. Did I mention that I am having trouble getting into Game of Thrones. It gets better, doesn't it? Everytime I pick up my kindle and see it, I put the kindle down and do something else.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just started reading a book on the history of lighthouses and the Fresnel lens. Good stuff, so far. I love picking up fairly random non-fiction, especially on science or history topics.

I'm debating Simon Winchester's new book on US history. I love Winchester, but American history is generally not my favorite thing to read. Has anybody read it yet? I had no idea he apparently became a US citizen a few years ago; I wonder why.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:55 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

lavawitch wrote:
I just got a great book called Abominable Science, by Donald Prothero. It's all about cryptids like Bigfoot and Nessie, etc, but it's from a real science perspective (it's published by Cornell University Press). I got it in hardback because it's also a very pretty book, so I didn't want the kindle version.

I haven't had time to read much yet, but I'm excited. Science and cryptids are two of my favorite things. I tend to get annoyed at the pop Sci cryptid books since, as much as I want to Believe, I just don't. Not really.

I got this from the library on your recommendation and have been enjoying it.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Whooo! My work here is done. I'm not finished with it yet since I have to keep stealing it back from my dad. Or he keeps stealing it from me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:13 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Is A Short Bright Flash the Fresnel lens book? I might have to see if they have that.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

pandacookie wrote:
Is A Short Bright Flash the Fresnel lens book? I might have to see if they have that.

Yes, that's it. I couldn't remember the title. I just found it when browsing around on the book suggestion subreddit.

I love books about seemingly small ideas or inventions that had a major impact on history. I had zero interest in lighthouses until I read the synopsis, and then it seemed pretty neat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:20 pm 
Nooch of Earl

linanil wrote:
Divergent is on my list of things to read. Did I mention that I am having trouble getting into Game of Thrones. It gets better, doesn't it? Everytime I pick up my kindle and see it, I put the kindle down and do something else.

I thought it got consistently better through the third book, at which point the fourth crashed to a spectacularly tedious slog.

The fifth is better, but I've been a third of the way into it for weeks now and I've just sort of lost interest. I heard from everyone that it gets better by the end of the fifth book, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I finished Allegiant. I really enjoyed it (I don't think the bad reviews are justified) and I'm going to have a book hangover in the morning.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:01 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am on book 6 of the Mary Russell series by Laurie King. I would like to be done with the whole series before Thanksgiving.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I finally got into The Road only to have my loan expire. Boo. There are two people ahead of me on the wait list so I'll potentially have to wait six weeks to finish it.

In the meantime I'm reading Faceless Killers, the first Kurt Wallander mystery.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 215  Next