| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184 ... 211  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:34 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

RandiJM wrote:
GUYS!
Today before I left for work, for some reason I grabbed The Age of Innocence (which I've never read) to read on the train. I enjoyed the few chapters I read a good deal. So then, I'm home early enough to catch Final Jeopardy -- and it was the answer! HOW WEIRD IS THAT.

I enjoyed The Age of Innocence. It's basically the precursor to Gossip Girl.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:24 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Has anyone read The Luminaries?
I picked it up based on a BBC review and haven't started yet, but it sounds very interesting. Besides, I love anything based in NZ.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:39 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

RandiJM wrote:
GUYS!
Today before I left for work, for some reason I grabbed The Age of Innocence (which I've never read) to read on the train. I enjoyed the few chapters I read a good deal. So then, I'm home early enough to catch Final Jeopardy -- and it was the answer! HOW WEIRD IS THAT.

Awesome, I love coincidences like that!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I started the second Kurt Wallander book today.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:48 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i started reading Twain's Roughing It and oh man, the snark. i love it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finally finished Dracula! It took me so long (almost 2 weeks), and that was my 2nd read. Now I can watch the lectures for my course. Good thing I'm not doing this for a grade because I'm 2 weeks behind now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Randijm:It's a sign! (Of what? I'm no sure.)

I finished The Ringmaster's Daughter, which was just very odd. Incredibly creative, but also big twist at the end that made me feel funny.

Now I'm reading Orange is the New Black and loving it. I find the actual Piper much more endearing than the Netflix character. Or at least she's recalled herself in a manner that it endearing, maybe she was kind whiny (justifiably) but didn't write herself in a negative light. I dunno, but I'm really enjoying it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:01 am 
Chip Strong

Ellen Forney, Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo & Me, which is an autobiographical graphic novel about the author's experiences with bipolar depression.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

lavawitch wrote:
Have you (or anybody else!) read Neil Tyson deGrasse? That man is beyond awesome. He has a pretty funny/interesting Twitter feed too.

I love him! I see him on Bill Maher's show and I follow him on twitter. I will have to check out his books.

I am reading Double Down Game Change 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm about 50 pages into City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare, I was a bit down thinking it was the last book in the series but I just found out about number 6 being released in May

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:54 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm about 200 pages into The Corrections and have very mixed feelings about it. Anyone want to weigh in on whether to push through it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:47 am 
Flounceiad 2011

SchwaGrrrl wrote:
I'm about 200 pages into The Corrections and have very mixed feelings about it. Anyone want to weigh in on whether to push through it?
I read it about ten years ago and thought it was brilliant. Not an emotionally easy read by any means, but I definitely think it's worth your time.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:20 am 
Nailed to the V

The Darkness of Wallis Simpson ...

short stories by Rose Tremain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:02 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks for your thoughts, Desdemona!

Also just read a YA novel called "Wonder," that was, indeed, wonderful.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just finished "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman. I loved it! Kittens play a large role in the story, which was super heart breaking and cute.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, maybe the kittens aren't a "large" role in the story, but they were to me!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:16 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

pickledtreats wrote:
Well, maybe the kittens aren't a "large" role in the story, but they were to me!

I loved the kittens' roles in this. The way the narrator spoke of them endeared me to him a little more.

I'm reading The Magicians, and so far I lurve it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:51 am 
Nailed to the V

The London Train - Tessa Hadley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:05 am 
Chard Martyr

I finished listening to Dave Eggers' The Circle on commutes and at times I found it compelling, but the ending was so dull. It was just "that book" that so many contemporary authors are writing about social media and I expected a bit more from Eggers.

Susan Musgrave's Given was much more exciting. She's amazing.

I can't decide what to read next. I liked the escapism of The Circle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:13 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I just started Into Thin Air by Jon Krakaeur yesterday (audiobook). So far it's really good. I tend to avoid reading unpleasant things so will see if I can finish it. I need to go google some photos to get an idea of the locations.

Inside Scientology was pretty good. When L. Ron Hubbard died, according to the book, he was on anti-anxiety/psychosis medication! The whole thing just really reminds me of the plot of an early Bond movie. LRH even looked a little like Auric Goldfinger. But, you've got insidious world domination plots, henchmen in jumpsuits (sea org uniforms) running around and busy doing things that make little sense, code names out the wazoo for everything, and they even have at least two "spy" offices. Considering LRH got his start as a pulp fiction and penny per word writer, this probably isn't too surprising. And all this is the from the book praised for being neutral and unbiased.

I have Jenna Miscavige Hill's book in my Audible queue.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:52 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

ndpittman wrote:

I'm reading The Magicians, and so far I lurve it.

I loved that one! I really want to read his second book, but keep forgetting about it. I wonder if the library has it...I also want to read Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Finished Wicked a few nights ago. It was...ok. There were a few too many circuitous conversations about the nature of evil (I mean, I get that that's probably the point, but they don't need to go on for pages!) and I didn't really like the way Elphaba turned out in the end. Also, there was a lot of weirdly sexy bits. I don't know if I was turned off by that because I just wasn't expecting that out of this particular book or they were a little too gratuitous or what. I mean, normally I'm a fan of sex, as long as well written and in the right sort of book.

Anyway, I have no idea what I'm going to read next. I have a tiny book written by a friend of mine that he self published that I need to read so I can go ahead and tell him I read it (I'm hoping it's not awful, because awkward, but I'm worried that it might be). But I think I'd rather start with the second book in the Foundation series. Maybe I can power through my friend's book and the reward will be Asimov.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:50 pm 
Hip Goiter

Fing A . I finished The Age of Innocence, which I was LOVING, until the end. I'm pretty darn livid. I spent many years thinking that to be lonely and not get what/who you wanted was romantic and like something out of an old novel. And then I learned that that is bullshiitake. And now this book I was loving turns out to be the f-ing paragon of that sentiment. fork you Edith.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Frankenstein. I must not have been paying much attention the first time I read it, because I found Victor absolutely insufferable this time through. God, what a whinger. He needed a smack.

I read Morrissey's Autobiography on my mini-holiday. It was so good. I didn't know what to expect - I'm a fan of Morrissey/The Smiths, but I do find him a bit unbearable at times. But it was really well-written. The only parts I didn't like were the fat-shaming bits and the obvious hypocrisy of his non-veganism*. I also can't help but think he suffers from body dysmorphia to some extent, and that his self-loathing isn't just schtick - he repeatedly mentions not understanding how people found him attractive or loveable, and he says that the only time he almost considered himself attractive was in the video for "The More You Ignore Me...". I've read loads of music (auto)biographies this year, and this was the best by far.

I'm now back to reading for the Coursera course - short stories and poems of Hawthorne and Poe.

*He devotes pages to talking about how disgusted he is about animal consumption and will get up and leave if someone eats animals around him, but he couldn't manage to source a vegan birthday cake for one of his bandmates who didn't eat eggs or cream.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:47 pm 
Impressive boner

Just finished 'Yakuza Moon' by Shoko Tendo. Now starting 'Confessions of a Yakuza' by Junichi Saga. Since reading 'Tokyo Vice' I can't get enough of this subject material.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm on to the next In Death book, Seduction in Death.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184 ... 211  Next