| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188 ... 216  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I bought the shining girls and I'm excited to read it.

I'm reading The Accursed by Joyce Carol Oates. I'm not far enough into it to know whether I like it or not.

It's the first book I'm reading on my ereader, though, which I'm excited about! I resisted the ereader forEVER, but I'm traveling a bunch over the next few months and didn't want to carry a zillion books.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:32 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Just finished Arcadia by Tom Stoppard, which I needed to read for work. I really liked it, but it was one of those books that make me realise how little I actually know. I feel like I now need to go and look up all the references that I only half got.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:08 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

pastabake wrote:
I bought the shining girls and I'm excited to read it.

I'm reading The Accursed by Joyce Carol Oates. I'm not far enough into it to know whether I like it or not.

It's the first book I'm reading on my ereader, though, which I'm excited about! I resisted the ereader forEVER, but I'm traveling a bunch over the next few months and didn't want to carry a zillion books.

I have the sample downloaded for The Shining Girls (that and 5 billion other samples) - let me know what you think of it if you would... I'm always hesitant to pay full price for kindle books because I go through so many. The 1.99 deals I just scoop up but the pricier ones need to earn it :)
And I think you'll like your ereader. I was hesitant too, because I just like the feel of an actual book, but they are soooo convenient (especially for travel!) that I'm onboard.

Just finished Inside Scientology based on LW's recommendation, and it was indeed fascinating. I might try the personal account book as well. Crazy stuff.

I also finished a YA book called Winger which was pretty funny and Doctor Sleep. Doctor Sleep was better than I thought it would be - I thought it'd be The Shining PArt II but was pleased to see it was its own book.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm reading The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis. So far I like it.

I finished The Shining Girls. I found the ending unsatisfactory. Also Divided in Death. I'm alternating any book not in the series with an In Death one because I would read nothing but In Death until I was caught up on the series and this way it will last longer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love that there is another In Death fan here. I've been relistening to them on audiobook this year, mixed with other stuff, and am up to Vision. I got Thankless to read, but am saving it for winter break when I'll be less stressed and can just savor it.

I feel like I have nothing to read right now because I'm not in the mood for anything, which is ridiculous because I've had a bit of a book buying tear the past couple months and my kindle app is stuffed full of new things--many full price because I wanted to read them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:20 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just got a library membership for my new town, yay! I finished reading "one red paperclip" , which I have wanted to read for several years, in an afternoon. This is by Kyle MacDonald, the guy who epically set out to trade a red paperclip for a house. So yeah, very easy to read and nicely paced (it only took fourteen trades). I think it is a really cool social experiment that the book is based on. kyle is maybe not so much a writer , there were a ton of spelling mistakes, etc. But I think he makes up for it, he has a very fresh sense of humor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey and really enjoying it. It's a sad story so far, but has some magical realism elements that are lovely. I'm hoping for a happy ending. The protagonists have earned it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ndpittman wrote:
I'm reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey and really enjoying it. It's a sad story so far, but has some magical realism elements that are lovely. I'm hoping for a happy ending. The protagonists have earned it.

I loved every word of this book. I think I remember crying at one point (which is very rare for me).

I'm currently reading A Christmas Carol

π

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished The Left Hand of Darkness. It took me a bit to get into it because I was hoping for something a little more overtly feminist after reading the intro. It's only with hindsight that I saw what LeGuin was doing. It was good, and I think would be a good way for someone who wouldn't otherwise read sci-fi to get in to it.

I'm now reading Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. It's alright so far, but it's just started to pick up, so I'm hopeful.

When I'm done with this one, I'm gonna read A Christmas Carol, and then I'm gonna find a nice true crime book to let my brain relax a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:32 am 

Man I was so over that Joyce Carol Oates book by the time I was halfway through.

Today I read Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward. In one sitting. It was pretty great, and I'm looking forward to reading Salvage the Bones.

Now I have two library books to read (this and this), then it's time for the shining girls.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:56 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

pastabake wrote:

That's on my list! Report back about how you like it?

I just finished Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick. It's a great read, though obviously not very uplifting--she interviewed 6 North Korean defectors about their experiences. It's super, super interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:43 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Nothing to Envy is a great book. It is more uplifting than most about Nk because at least some of the defectors get happy ever afters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:54 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

pastabake wrote:

That's on my list! Report back about how you like it?

I just finished Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick. It's a great read, though obviously not very uplifting--she interviewed 6 North Korean defectors about their experiences. It's super, super interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lavawitch wrote:
Nothing to Envy is a great book. It is more uplifting than most about Nk because at least some of the defectors get happy ever afters.

Agreed. Plus, I think it's brilliantly written.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

pastabake wrote:
Man I was so over that Joyce Carol Oates book by the time I was halfway through.

Did you finish it? I did but it was not her best to say the least.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:52 pm 

Yeah, I finished it, but not because I really cared what happened. I'm just stubborn about finishing books.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:09 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

ndpittman wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

It was tough for me to find it uplifting, because most of the defectors had such a tough time adjusting to their new lives, and though some of them did well, others seemed to feel very much like outsiders. I believe the book was sent to the printer in 2009--I sort of want a 2013 update on all the interviewees!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

pastabake wrote:
Yeah, I finished it, but not because I really cared what happened. I'm just stubborn about finishing books.

Ha, me too. Plus I don't want it sitting on my Goodreads no reading shelf forever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

The Missing Ink - The Lost Art of Handwriting (and Why it Still Matters_ by Philip Hensher .... started it a while back got distracted, picked it up again this week-end & have been reading it in all snatched minutes ... nearly finished.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Gwenlet wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

It was tough for me to find it uplifting, because most of the defectors had such a tough time adjusting to their new lives, and though some of them did well, others seemed to feel very much like outsiders. I believe the book was sent to the printer in 2009--I sort of want a 2013 update on all the interviewees!

I would love updates too. I got very attached to everybody. It is uplifting when compared to the body of literature about North Korea, most of which is so unrelentingly grim.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

teacup wrote:
The Missing Ink - The Lost Art of Handwriting (and Why it Still Matters_ by Philip Hensher .... started it a while back got distracted, picked it up again this week-end & have been reading it in all snatched minutes ... nearly finished.

I posted a study guide answer key online for my students. I wrote in my neatest handwriting, which usually ends up half printing/half cursive. I've never really had anybody have trouble reading it before, but this year, a solid 1/3 of my students said they could not read it because it was cursive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:37 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I am Malala, I'm only one quarter in but completely mesmerized. She has such a strong, captivating voice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

rachell37 wrote:
I'm now reading Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. It's alright so far, but it's just started to pick up, so I'm hopeful.

So, this started out a bit slowly, and I didn't know if I would click with the main character (since I could hardly stand teenage boys when I was a teenage girl). But it really picked up about 1/4 of the way through, and I had a hard time putting it down. I stayed up until 1am reading and was tempted to finish it last night. I would definitely recommend it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

lavawitch wrote:
I love that there is another In Death fan here. I've been relistening to them on audiobook this year, mixed with other stuff, and am up to Vision. I got Thankless to read, but am saving it for winter break when I'll be less stressed and can just savor it..

I started reading them based on this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:45 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Just finished The Middlesteins, which I loved to pieces, and am currently reading Blueprints for Building Better Girls, which is a fantastic linked story collection. So good!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188 ... 216  Next